Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 2006

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    "Does anyone know how many 05' GXP's were produced?? "

The 'official' Pontiac numbers have not been released.
    Typically reliable sources suggest 1,000 to 1,600 2005s.
    Interesting (to me) that the most I ever saw in a GMBuypower search of up to over 200 miles from Atlanta was 21 or 22. Now only 1 near Atlanta.
    - Ray
    One of 1,000 to 1,600????
  • brianr1brianr1 Posts: 19
    I was thinking 2005 production was more like 500. When trying to find mine from Austin, Gmbuypower searches to over 800 miles (almost all of texas and some of Louisiana) gave only ~15.
  • brianr1brianr1 Posts: 19
    Well, with the dash kits available from exoticwooddash.com and clubgpstore, we could make the 2005 interior look more like 2006. The brushed aluminum wouldn't look too bad but I'd like to see one in person.
    Chicago + Detroit searches both now, still show 50 2005s - and I believe that 50 may be the most GMBuypower will display. So there could be more.

Some dealers in these areas show as having a half dozen or more.

The distribution was not geographically uniform, by any measure. My sense is that dealers in some Norther States (likely due to the FWD) ordered more than those in more temperate climates.
    - Ray
    Happy with 1 of 800 or 1 of 10,000 . .
  • The noise you hear is the sound of the air moving through the drilled rotors. The sound will be much louder when braking at low speeds, since there is less road noise and other vibrations to muffle it. The only way to eliminate the noise is too put non-drilled/non-slotted rotors on the car. But remember...you've got a hell of a lot better braking from 100 - 0 MPH then you would have with traditional rotors. Welcome to the world of factory TUNER cars!!!

-Proud owner of a Blue-Green Crystal 2005 GXP
  • tonygxptonygxp Posts: 56
    If its the fold out brochure I already have it, i'm looking for more detailed info than that (GM really dropped the ball on getting the info out there on this car, how about a commercial??)
    Do you think that the new steering wheel & shifter knob will hold up on those who are rough on the wheel? I know that I was surprised that they would chance a "softer" feeling leather wheel given it's history of deteriorating over time as opposed to a more user friendly "hard" leather wheel.
    Off the subject for a minute but I found out that our GXP's are pretty quick al right, I was cruising along a highway where I live today (trying to keep above 20.0 MPG) minding my own business, when this 97-04 C5 vette tries to pass me & show his passenger he's the man, well it didn't go that way, from about 40-90 MPH ( & believe me he tried hard) he couldn't do it. I know this car would get whipped by a 6spd C5, but, he also tried to take me at a stop light right after ( changed lanes like a maniac to get behind me) Green light I eased out to see if he still was trying to "be the man" & he was so i hit it at about 15-20mph & the chase was on, I couldn't look at the speedo (HUD off) until I backed off but it read 105mph that was when I caught a glimpse of his front fender in my periphrial. At the next light he & his friend were staring down the car pretty good (couldn't see me through the tint) he motioned to me so I opened the driver window & he goes," Hey what the HELL is that? A GXP with a V8? Is that a stick?" My reply the usual ,"Ya, Ya, NO!" He tells me his friend in the passenger seat has a 04' mustang GT 5spd, now his friend took over & says that he runs this C5 all the time (C5 runs 13.2's @ 105MPH or better) & could never hold him off for that long, both ask what it runs, I tell them I won't know for another 2k miles( I'm not running it until Sept/Oct) but its supposed to run 14.3's. The driver laughed & said his(meaning his friend's) mustang gos 14 O's I think you'll be surprised when you go. Anyway this car won't be a secret for long , lookout guys the sports car nation will be looking to embarrass you, make sure you don't act like a fool, if you get beat, BADLY, don't run again show the respect, but, if its close, do us all proud! & whoop em next time. & by the way I have no points on my license & pick & choose when I drive that way,before anyone starts shooting their mouth off, sorry I actually reverted to my teen years, but MAN it was fun (I only run at the track up to those speeds)
    Must be bigger on the east coast, Only showing 23 in these states, New York, New Jersey, PN, CT,MA,VA, D.C.VT
    Thats a lot of people for 23 cars! In the range of about 20 million if not more!!
  • brettgxpbrettgxp Posts: 8
    Do you have the same noise with your GXP?
  • billgxpbillgxp Posts: 13
    I have been reading the posts here for a few weeks and find the exchange of information to be good. As far as published info about the GXP goes, I agree that it is hard to find. I read High Performance Pontiac and Pontiac Enthusiast. HPP tends to be geared more towards the older models versus late model cars. Pontiac Enthusiast website indicates the September/October 2005 issue will have an article on the 2005 GP GXP including info about 14.2's at the track. I have not received mine yet but most Barnes and Nobels carry it.

I am a GM guy without question. I have owned 80 GP, 87 and 89 Firebirds, 94 GP GTP, 02 TA, and now a 05 GP GXP blue green crystal fully loaded with nav sys. I actually traded the TA for the GXP after test driving two 2005 GTO's. The TA and GTO both were a blast to drive but the GXP offered many more features at a much better price. The TA was officially rated at 325 hp so I didn't give up much power on the trade. The GTO is also a great Pontiac, but I felt the GXP was an excellent car and more suitable for a daily driver (trunk on GTO is 7 cu feet). I bought the GXP in mid-June got the employee discount, $2000 rebate, and $750 GM Card bonus cash in addition to the GM dollars accumulated on the card.

I agree with the opinions that GM needs to do a better job in getting the word out about what they have to offer. They sure didn't do much to sell Firebirds and Camaros the last few years they built them and they certainly could do a better job getting the word out about the GXP's.Hopefully this will improve as they restructure.

By the way I feel the seats in the GXP are okay, they could be better and I plan to get a dash kit in a few months. I have about 1000 miles on the car and no problems, I don't hear any howling.
  • gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Posts: 210
    I just got a GXP company car and just traded in my 2002 GTP Coupe on a GTO. Too bad GM doesn't advertise these cars. They are both great. My previous company car was Comp GTP. I have personally owned 2 Grand Prixes new, 1997 and 2002 Coupe GTP.

Good run with the C5, but he should have clearly beat you. Although the passenger added an additional 150 - 200 lbs weight to his car. Unless he didn't know how to drive or wasnt' fully trying at first? Or you got the jump. C5 is 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile then GXP. 350hp vs 303hp, C5 is 300 lbs lighter then GXP. Good run to put him in his place, ha!

GXP makes a nice sleeper, most don't realize there is a 303hp V8 under the hood. Same with my Goat, most don't realize it's a 400hp vette motor under there either.

Pontiac did advertise the Grand Prix itself a lot, just not GXP yet.

I just hope the trannies hold up in these cars. That was the weak link in my '97 and '02 GTP. Both were heavily modded where I was running high 13's to low 14's. I used to beat Stangs all the time, it was funny to see the look on their face when my GTP beat their V8.

Interior is improved in GXP over my CompG. For me I will not be modding it since it's a company car. Oh well. The only problem I am having is I'm not getting anywhere near the 27 EPA highway on the GXP. I do a lot of highway driving for my company. I think I have my foot too much into it for the DOD to kick in? Probably it. It is getting worse mileage then my V6 GTP did.
    Ya, I know the C5 is clearly the faster car, but I gotta tell you, I never expected to hold him off like that, give it time you'll have a run in with one, or another car you never thought you could hang with & you'll be thinking the same thing I am..Why did they put a 2.93 axle ratio in here (obviously to sneak around a gas guzzler tax), I once blew a rear end in my 84 Z28 HO (3.73) & replaced it with a 3.08 out of an IROC, I lost .50 in the 1/4 (14.4 to 14.9) I
    have no doubt if this car had a 3.73 axle it would be mid 13's.
    Im getting a little over 20mpg now (city/hwy mix) not bad for A/C on & 303 HP.
    Can't wait for a few mods to come out (even K&N's air filters for this are still "under development"
  • SPEED channel is often running a commercial featuring the GP GXP as well as the GTO.
    That was a good run against the C5. 2.93 is fuel economy, but still a fast car regardless, there is a 3.30 in Comp GTP and regular GT. On the highway my best with GXP is about 23-24mpg. I'm slightly hard on it. 75-80mph. not bad.

I had to pay that Gas Guzzler tax on my '05 GTO :mad: Because I bought automatic, same 3.46 gears as manual. Gets 13mpg in town :sick: It isn't driven much so no big deal.
  • I'm so accustomed to the sound of drilled/slotted rotors from my 99 GTP that I don't even notice it...but if I listen for it, it's there.
    lets just hope they don't pull an 04-05 horsepower jump like they did with the GTO, that would suck.
    Hopefully not! I doubt it, since this the first yr of the 5.3L in a car for GM.

I almost bought an 04 GTO, but then GM announced improvements to 2005 while still selling 2004 :confuse: Not much of a price increase, so I waited and got '05.
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    I have an 04 Bonny GXP and it's just a blast to drive. Did any of you who purchased a GP GXP consider a Bonny GXP?
    When it came time for my company car, I wanted a Bonny GXP, but my company wouldn't pay that much. So I waited and got a GP GXP which they did pay for.

GP GXP has a lot more power then Bonny, esp down low and offers more bang for the buck. However the Bonny GXP is a more refined car/engine and slightly larger. Sales of the Bonny dropped 5+ yrs in a row, thus it's cancellation.
    “I have an 04 Bonny GXP and it's just a blast to drive. Did any of you who purchased a GP GXP consider a Bonny GXP?”

I did drive a Bonneville GXP. I was not impressed with the acceleration. The Northstar is a wonderful motor, but needs higher revs to produce reasonable torque (compared to the 5.3L V8) and even with the 3.7:1 final drive, this combination in the Bonne GXP was still only capable of mid-15s in the Quarter. And the only published test I have seen (C+D) quotes a 0-60 time of 6.9 and Quarter 15.4 @ 91.

This acceleration performance & ‘feel’ just didn’t do it for me. I really like Torque. Great, steaming piles of low speed Torque. And low RPM at cruise.

I am curious, now that the Bonne is out of production, if Pontiac will explore an ‘upmarket’ interior for the GP. I’d have seriously considered options like a power tilt & telescope steering wheel, cooled as well as heated front seats, a rear seat center armrest, etc.

Or perhaps Pontiac will be the Division that is ‘sacrificed’. . .

- Ray
    Happier with 6.0 / 14.2 or 3 . .
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I am curious, now that the Bonne is out of production, if Pontiac will explore an ‘upmarket’ interior for the GP. I’d have seriously considered options like a power tilt & telescope steering wheel, cooled as well as heated front seats, a rear seat center armrest, etc.

Something like that is coming... but it will be the Grand Prix's replacement.

hint:

http://www.holden.com.au

Look at the Commodore SS. The next-gen model will be shown in September, and released early next year.

Wonder how that would be as a Grand Prix replacement? RWD, V6 and V8 models, all kinds of options...