Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 2006

Comments

• 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    Did anyone see the show on SpeedTV? I saw it on sunday. It was mostly about the GTO but they did show the GXP for about 5 minutes. The test driver seemed impressed considering it was a front wheel drive car. Interestingly enough the GXP had no more body roll than the GTO when speeding through corners at the track. They compared it to the 330, Maxima and G35 automatic and the GXP beat the Maxima in every category and the other two in some categories.
  • dembratsdembrats Posts: 8
    Just bought a greystone on Monday. I had $416 on my GM Card. When the dealer called it in, GM Card bumped the amount up to $916 for me.

Loving the car so far.
  • mitsurobmitsurob Posts: 38
    Do you know why the GM card bumped your amount up to $916 if you only had $416? Seems odd they would add even more to your credit card rebate, but I wouldn't mind any.!
  • jjunkjjunk Posts: 12
    For those who have been waiting for the GXP review Rayainsw mentioned a couple weeks ago the dates were wrong. In a post between Ray and Editor_Karl, Karl apologizes for the incorrect date. They will receive the GXP on July 6.
  • daveradavera Posts: 13
    There is a $500 bonus added to GM cards on the Grand Prix. With my GM card bonus and rebates I got my GXP for $25.6K. The sticker was $33K. That was last month before the employee discount promo.
  • mitsurobmitsurob Posts: 38
    That makes sense. Seems like each month GM has a different promotion. In the end it sounds like you can end up with the same bottom line depending on how they package all their promos.
    Just wonder what promotion they will have in July or even August. I was really wanting to wait closer to August to buy something...but the current offers seem to be a good deal. Does anyone have any insider info on what promos might be like for July or August?? Would be great if they continued the current employee discounts till then.
  • bxd20bxd20 Posts: 68
    We have confirmed info that the remote start SHOULD turn on the AC. GM knows about this, and a reprogram of the PCM should fix the situation. I haven't heard when it will be ready or how everyone will be notified.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    GM Card sent out Bonus offers a while back - $1000 on selected models and $500 off others - expires end of June. The GP has a $500 GM Card points bonus.
    I'm going to look at a Dark Cherry w/Ebony leather tomorrow. (This dealer sold the Dk Cherry one I saw last weekend) It's loaded except for the Navigation system. (I could do w/o the sunroof, but... Its got XM + 6 CD changer and I love both.)

MSRP $33395; GMS after rebates of $27637 - then I can use $2000 off my card points plus $500 bonus and they said they will give me what I asked on trade in for my 2002 GA.
    Will update later on if I go for it or not. ;)
  • jbmjbm Posts: 29
    I heard (in other 2004-05 Grand Prix models) that the rear seat lacked sufficient padding and was not roomy. Does the GXP's rear seat have more padding than the other '04-'05 models? I presume the rear seat isn't roomier than the other '04 and '05s though. True?
    no, same as other GP's - but with the leather option the rear seats get the suede inserts also.
  • brianr1brianr1 Posts: 19
    Thanks for the definitive answer; I'm still waiting for a reply from GM. I guess it'll be probably be winter before they can get the fix out.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,554
    Here is a link to some further, detailed information on how it is supposed to work. . .

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/issues/nov03/TLNov03e.html

- Ray
    Tech junkie . .
  • brianr1brianr1 Posts: 19
    Thanks, so we just don't get the "FULL COLD" on RVS. Do you know of the email address to bother them some more and get them in gear or should we just wait?

Brian
    Test Drive - Oh Boy! Resistance was futile.
    Dark Cherry Metallic
    Leather w/inserts & Heated seats - Ebony/Dk Pewter
    Premium Audio w/ 6 CD Changer - Monsoon System
    Sunroof
    Curtain Side Impact Airbags
    XM Radio
    Auto Dual zone A/C
    Remote Starter
    plus all the std stuff like DOD V8, OnStar, HUD, TC, Stabilitrak, etc...
    MSRP $33,395
    GMS29686.98
    - $2000 rebate
    - $2000 GM Card points
    - $500 GM Bonus cash
    + $168 License & Title fees
    My Price $25,354.98
    There is nothing that comes close to this car with its options and performance for the price.
    I've only driven it ~ 25 miles home on the back roads (Fwy grid lock Friday night)
    Sticks to the road like the tires have glue, ride is taut but compliant, not harsh over pavement breaks, rough spots, acceleration is quick, powerful and endless...
    I will take it over some of my usual byways this weekend and will have a much better feel of it - but it is impressive. GM didn't just gussy up the GP it did some re-engineering and it shows. :D
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    A guy over in the 2006 Impala SS forum provided us with this link about the LS4:

http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/whats%20new/PWT%202005i%20LS4.doc

The DOD system sure looks complicated! I was thinking of buying either a Gran Prix GXP, Monte SS, or Impala SS, but now I'll just wait and see how reliable the new V-8 motor is.
    "GM didn't just gussy up the GP it did some re-engineering and it shows"

Agreed.
    ENJOY!
    - Ray
    With 575 miles of enjoyment "in the book" so far . .
  • Since folks are driving and actually own the new GXP GP isn't it finally time this thread moves over to the sedans forum?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    Yup - how's tomorrow sound? :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"Yup - how's tomorrow sound?"

That would be lovely!
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    GXP driver . . .
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Welcome from your new host. Carry on and have fun!! :shades:
    Saw that.
    With 650+ v. enjoyable miles on mine, I don't even know where to begin a response . . .
    - Ray
    Enjoying every mile even more . .
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    They really never seem to like GM vehicles.

"But, Ray it has so much power, how can you control it", said Anita.
    [[ "But, Ray it has so much power, how can you control it", said Anita. ]]

Ummmm . .
    OK.
    - Ray
    GXP driver.
    Thinking some thoughts that are likely better left as only thoughts (sigh). . .
  • olpalgaryolpalgary Posts: 5
    Are He & She that wrote this supposed review , supposed to be real auto journalists????
    We are approaching 1000 miles on our Dark Cherry GXP , & are still in awe of the power, comfort & price relationship, compared to other cars... Wife & i feel Pontiac has a real winner here !!!
    Gas mileage has stayed between 18-20, which includes wife driving 25 miles to work then back , all around town avg driving & even a couple times in & out of parking garages..
    Steering torque steer; most cars have it to so some degree, we have not seen anything that scares or even bothers us in this area... Of course we were'nt lighting the tires up in the subdivision or at every stop sign either.
    Only thing i'm displeased with is GM shoving the costs of On-Star off on the consumers trying to build up a fan base for their Product... Your still paying for this even if they say it's included & shoving Sattelite radio down everyone's throat with extra costs...
    We still LOVE our Gran Prix GXP though... Just wish they'd bring back the COUPE !!!! The '02 coupe was a fine look'n automobile !!!
    :P
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    It was supposed to be an innocent joke. Anita seems to complain when cars have too much power. She did not like the CTS-V either.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    That review shouldnt have been printed. They are morons. They barely talked about the features of the car. They also saw plenty of other cars in the price range are better, but dont mention any of them.
    I can't be sure, but this "review" struck me as oddly familiar. I recall reading a "He said, She said" article probably a year or two ago that I recall being almost the same with maybe a couple of minor revisions... maybe they were reviewing the Comp G or something - but they don't really hit me as being real car people.
    just my opinion
    Dark Cherry GXP and Loving it - only have about 100 miles (of mine) on it as I don't want to drive it to work until I can find a safe place to park. I'm skiddish of dings.
  • Its not a suprise these people gave it a bad review. These people (freep.com) are not serious journalists. They are very biased in there political (pro Dems) and auto (pro foreign) sections.

This review should not be a surprise to you, in the heat of the 2004 election season, this "web site" posted an article showing how the auto market 'generally does better under democratic presidents'.

I think Edmunds are a bit more serious in there reporting, GTO aside.

I noticed that in the interview they also forgot to mention that the GXP has a Nav system available, and that with all the discounts you get, no car could touch it in value.
  • dlucas86dlucas86 Posts: 4
    Well, I have now had my GXP for three weeks and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I am not seeing any of the 'problems' those reviewers saw with their GXP and this is one awesome vehicle. However, there is one annoying little feature of the car that I am hoping will be changed with newer firmware. I made the mistake of driving my tank down to a range of ~50 miles. In my old car, (1998 Regal GS) I would see my range, and make a note of how far I could go before I ran completely out of gas. At some point, (around 40 miles) the readout switches to "Low" and you just have to remember what your extrapolated odometer will read before you run out of gas. Not a big deal - (ie I'm at 310 miles for this tank, and I can go another 42, so I will run out of gas at about 352 miles) However, on the GXP, once you get below a range of about 50 miles, the Driver Information Center switches to a "Low Fuel" or something like that and you can't switch over to see your odometer, or anything else in the DIC. It locks out all of the buttons and only displays the low fuel warning. If I knew I could go another 45 miles, but then it stops showing me my odometer, I have no way of knowing how far I have gone, or how far I can go. I know it isn't good to let your gas tank run down, but it happens, especially since I like to shop for the best gas prices. To me, this is a bug, not a feature. I am hoping that maybe the will realize the error of their ways and issue new firmware to change this feature. Any chance of that happening? Not having a mechanical odometer, or even just a separate readout for it separate from the DIC is a design flaw - one that is avoidable most of the time, but everybody is going to run into it at one time or another and you will see what I mean. :(

Devin