Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid Battery Pack Questions

1235»

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    IMO,yes! Go to your dealer for all required service during the warranty period. I just do selected maintenance after the warranty expires and my dealer does it! It usually pays to develop goodwill with your dealer in case their is a problem with your car..
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    When I took my 07 in for its first service they said the hybrid system isn't touched. Is it worth the extra expense and inconvenience of going to the dealer rather than my local mechanic for routine service?

Well.... that depends.

Some manufacturers include routine service during the warranty; in that case it's a no brainer. To me, a reliable, competent local is great to have... as long as you maintain good records. If the routine stuff is documented, manufacturers have to honor claims under warranty. I'd reserve the dealer for things that look complicated - electronics etc. In addition, your indie shop usually has a good sense of what is beyond them, or what makes better sense for you to go to a dealer for.

My 2 cents.
  • cdptrapcdptrap Posts: 485
    Hi, we have the '06 HH and because it is the "first" model, we take ours to the dealer.

Whoever you use, if *NOT* a Toyota dealer, please do make sure they know how to service a Hybrid.

While they do not directly deal with the HSD system, they can indirectly impact the HSD performance. For example, if they have to disconnect the 12V battery, they need to know how to reset some on-board functions. Nothing complicated but they should know else your ICE can run longer than usual and gas mileage may suffer for a few hundred miles. The shop also needs Toyota software and reader that can decode HSD system status. The standard one (forgot its name, OBD II or III ???) will work to show standard status but can do nothing about HSD specific data.

Finally, our local tire shop guy thought our HH had "died" because he could not figure out why the engine would start so much later after he turned the key. This made me really wary of using anyone not trained by Toyota.

Good luck!
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I have a 2004 Prius. I change the oil, oil filter, air filter and check the fluids myself.
    I don't rotate the tires because I change from regular to snow tires in the spring and fall.
    I do check the tire pressure (38/36) regularly and do bring the car in to Toyota promptly for every TSB or recall.
    We got a 2007 HH a year ago and are following the same discipline. There have been no TSBs. or recalls that I know of.
  • would be interested in learning battery type and brand other HH owners have installed.

Leaving for Phoenix Friday to pick up a low-mileage 2006 HH from a non-Toyota dealership and will be paying Toyota for an inspection before forking over $$$ to seller. Am looking for all items of concern at which I can aim the mechanics. Thanks. Chuck
  • My car wasn't used for the last 5 weeks due to an illness. Went to use it today for the first time and was completely dead. No dashboard lights. Nothing was left on or doors left open to drain the battery, that I could find. My husband put it on the charger for 5 hours. Dash lights went on, "ready" lit up, so he drove it down the drive. Came back, shut it off, and all is completely dead again. Put it back on the charger and the dash lights come on, back dome light, but the icon for the "main battery" comes on and the 'ready' light does not now. Can't move the car. Nothing. Please help!!!

My questions are:
    1)Could this all be caused by the regular battery under the hood being bad?
    2) Should we take that in some where to get checked out to see if it's good?
    3) Does it sound like it's the hybrid battery that is bad since that is the icon that is showing up on the dashboard?
    4) What would have caused either of the batteries to go bad in the 5 weeks it sat in the garage?
    5) If the regular battery went bad, for whatever reason, would that cause the hybrid battery to malfunction as well?

Thank you for any help you can give.
  • dpowdpow Posts: 1
    The same symptoms for my 08. Turned out the battery under the hood died and just wouldn't hold a charge. Changed it, runs great and no problems since.
  • Thank you for your reply. That is exactly what was wrong with my car. The Toyota dealer had to put it on a special charger and it's been fine since. When I questioned that "special charger" he said that a regular charger would work but it may take a few days to get it to full charge. We only had ours on the charger overnight (still dead) so that fits with what he told me when I picked up my car.

Appreciate you taking the time to let me know "I'm not alone!"
  • myrafmyraf Posts: 32
    please be aware there are many of us that have had the same problem,this is the start of the inverta going badmthis is a very expensive part ,i have a 2006 that has had the same problem many times until the inverta went bad ,i just got an estimate of 14,000 dollars to fix,don't wait ask your dealer to do a extended diagnostic on your car befor the warranty runs out ,there are a bunch of us 2006 hh owners that are looking to sue toyota for this design defect,good luck,go on the forum toyota hh problems and read our stories
  • Thank you for letting me know about the inverta problem. I'll be calling my Toyota dealer/mechanic in the morning to find out about that. I'll be getting that extensive diagnostic test while my car is still under warranty. Thanks again!
  • colcbpcolcbp Posts: 9
    I have about 1500 miles remaining before my 90K service and my dealer says he doesn't know anything about any kind of "extended diagnostic". Could you please be more specific. Every service that is done has to be accompanied by a code of some sort, and when you had your "extended diagnostic" done your receipt from the dealer must have included more informative data. I would appreciate any extra information you can give. Thanks very much. Chuck
  • I went out to start the car this morning and it wouldn't start. I would love some insight if you guys have had this same problem and how you got it fixed (and the cost, if you would be so kind) I have an 06 HH.

When I put the key in, all of the dash lights turn on, but when I try to turn the key over, it says "put in park"-- it IS in park. I noticed that I left a door open last night (oops) and there was a dome light on because of it. After two attempts to turn the car over, there are NO dash lights and the car is non-responsive.

Is this a tow to the dealer problem or wait and it will fix itself or get it jumped and it will fix itself or get a charger on it for a few hours kind of thing???? I would Love some help here.

Thank you soooo much.
  • Many people other than just me, receive the recall notice from Toyota saying part prone to failure when HH driven at high load has been identified, and will be repaired free of charge. Notice even says that people who have previously had failure should contact Toyota to investigate refund of expenses. Only issue, parts for repair ar not likely to be at dealer until Feb 2012.
  • I am the owner of a Certified Pre-owned 2007 Highlander Hybrid, which I had been quite happy with until it crossed the 50k mile mark and the fuel economy took a 20% hit from ~25mpg to ~20 mpg. I took it to the dealer, but the car was given a clean bill of health.

...I suspect however that the battery pack potency has diminished.

The dealer's test are a complete black box, red-light/green light test which apparently even they don't know what determines the result of the test.

...so what I am hoping maybe one of you all can help me figure out, is...
    Is it possible to determine how well the battery is holding a charge and how much power it is delivering in comparison to its original (or replacement) specs?

Also, if the battery is some significant percent less capable that it was originally, is there a way to get Toyota to honor the warranty and replace it?

And finally, what is the path for replacing the batteries if Toyota won't acknowledge their diminished state?
  • When you discuss diminished state, I am assuming you refer to the battery pack ability, or lack of ability to hold a charge. This typically occurs with age.

I am not familiar with the black box go/no go test you refer. Did you actually see the test performed? I do know the service centers will measure the voltage of the battery back to assist in determining the condition. If the voltage is within a specific range of specifications, then it passes. Above or below, then it is deemed a failure. To the best of my knowledge, there is no load test performed which would measure the ability of the battery to build and maintain a charge.

That all said, I do not believe a diminished battery would cause the drop in mileage you mention. I would expect if the battery pack is diminished then you would notice the gas engine starting up much more often than normally.

I notice a considerable drop in mileage on mine in the winter months. From the typical 25MPG down to nearly 22.0MPG.

In your case, I would strongly suspect your problem is a maintenance problem. Air or fuel system maintenance may need to be performed. I am assuming you have done the air/fuel filter replacements. Your next would be to ensure the air intake system is cleaned. I do mine myself about every 50K miles using Gumout products, but there are plenty of quality names in the parts stores. If you are not comfortable with doing it yourself, you can have the service performed for around $125.00. My only caution would be to specify the Teraclean system.
  • Thanks Rod, I will try cleaning out the air intake as you suggest. We change the air filter regularly.

I bring the car to the dealer for all scheduled maintenance and specifically brought it in to ask about the mileage. I did not see them run any test, but I was assured that they had run all the tests they had to run. When I pressed about what passing battery test means I could not get an answer, which is what I mean by a black box test. Since batteries fade rather than instantly die I would want to know what threshold marks the line between pass and fail.

I do 'think' I am noticing the engine running more, but there is no real way to quantify that, except by the gas mileage.

....so anyway, I am eager to try your suggestion, because it is quite possible it isn't the battery at all, but I would have thought the dealer would have offered me these sorts of simple remedies when I griped about the gas mileage.
  • anar4anar4 Posts: 1
    hi everyone im newbie with car knowledge, but i need help with fuel consuption thing!!
    i've bough hybrid kluger 2005 these july from Japan, and i live in mongolia.. when i 1st time drive it in mongolia it it was summer, and for like 100km it only use 10-12liter patrol.
    but now out of suddenly these winter during December it start using too much patrol like 100km 27liter patrol why??? our Winter weather is like daytime -23C and at night -40C temperature.. but i do park it at warm garage at night. and during daytime i dont see these car using battery at all (even battery % never drop from 75%)! all the time engige is working maybe its because im using Hot condition all the time..??? but still
    so my question is IS IT NORMAL that these car no longer use battery or hybrid thing bcuz of outside temperature is negative????? I see those my friends prius still using not much difference amount of patrol as SUMMER or Winter....
    Patrol cost is quite expensive in mongolia novadays!
    im buying full tank patrol 63$ USD=53Liter but it run only 205km until yellow light
    during summer 53liter patrol goes around 450km
  • anar. You have a definate problem. More than 50% decrease in mileage in the winter months is not normal. You dont mention how many miles/(KM) are on your vehicle, but as it is 8 years old, I can imagine you should be looking at the condition of the spark plugs and wires, filters, etc. Normal maintenance items. My previous post on the air intake system are also applicable. With a dirty throttle body, you will see increased fuel consumption, especially moreso in the winter.

It is normal to see a decrease in mileage in the winter, primarily due to the gas engine running more often. It needs to do this regardless of the battery charge state in order to keep the coolant system at the proper temperature.

Ray
1235»