Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    I have 1700K miles and the rims ar really dirty..I guess the brakes are breaking in?? Is this normal? Annie
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    small amount will always come out, also depending where you live..( salt air etc ) might increase it a bit.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    1) Drove it home very carefully twitching with excitement.
    2) Looked it over top to bottom and underneath. Continued twitching.
    3) Went into house. Looked out window. Hopped up and down a few times.
    4) Found an excuse to go somewhere unnecessary in it.
    5) #4 continues to this day.

Yes, there is a lot of brake dust, at least at the beginning.
  • chettt99chettt99 Member Posts: 10
    Just a caution for those of you who wear sandals. I was exiting a freeway today with my X and when I went to hit the brake the webbing of my sandal got caught by the edge of the plastic panel to the right of the gas pedal. After a moment of panic I hit the brake with my left foot and slowed downed in time. Had a car been in front of me or if I had been in city traffic, I might not have been able to stop in time. I'll have to do something about it before I drive with sandals again. The panel should be longer. Are you listening Nissan????? Anyway....no harm done. I love my X.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Ok,

I just changed my oil to Mobil One after 1600 miles and noticed yellow fluid caked all over the engine compartment and under the hood.

Immediately drove the X to my local dealer in Rockville, MD and they told me to "make an appointment." Are they on drugs or what?

I insisted and they finally looked at the X -- guess what? There is a crack somewhere in the engine that is causing the coolant to leak. It is not simply in a hose (I wish). The dealer wants to "replace" the engine and I am called Nissan to replace the entire vehicle. Will know more tomorrow.

Apparently, some Xs have this same issue, but Nissan is "hush hush" regarding the problem.

So, to add to the common issues list, most Xs have the following problems:

-- a fuel sending unit that registers 3/4 full even when empty
    -- a warped driver's side mirror
    -- faulty engines with hairline fractures
    -- A check-engine light that is triggered in the first 1,000 miles
    -- lousy tires that one aftermarket dealer said he would not put on his lawnmower! Actually, three dealers said things similiar to this. Nissan got a good deal on the General AWs and that is why they use an inferior tire.

I should have purchased a Pathfinder!

Does anyone know the Maryland Lemon Laws?

Let the buyer beware!
    I don't see the connection between the oil change and losing coolant.. you are the first I've heard having to change to engine ( in over a year, following 4 X boards ).

Dido on the warped mirror ( not sure if someone else had it )

You are the only one that makes it a point of the lousy tires, granted they aren't offroad rubber, but even majority of other owners ( here and elsewhere ) are happy with them considering their limitations, yet you still haven't changed them.

The engine light, generally came from the gas cap.. or 2001 owners trying the lockable versions ( which so far are only suited for the 2000 )

The only real bug I've heard about is the 01 sending unit for the gas tank.. which seems to be fixed at the dealer rather readily.

Not dogging you, hope there is a solution for you and get the right fix.. or lemon law trade.
  • etings1etings1 Member Posts: 2
    There have been so many messages advising new buyers to consider getting a tire upgrade. Should I consider this even if I don't do any off road driving??? My typical day will be an hour commute round trip on the hwy.
  • wmtroutwmtrout Member Posts: 2
    Msiseng you have hit all the proverbial nails on the head,don't forget the whining rear end,which I had replaced the first month I owned my X (don't know if it would have been a problem or not but a new vehicle should not have a howling rear end).

You are the fist that I have heard of with the hairline fractures in the engine block,I don't know if the new turbo would fit in a 01 but I would hint towards satisfaction with a new turbo for replacement.

Don't get me wrong I love my X !!!

As for the tires I think they are fine for the highway but I have had a terrible time off road. Slid sideways down a hillside into a tree and broke a rear light,slid sideways down a snow/mud ravin and broke a front mud flap,stuck a half dozen times in the snow(oh for the good old BuckShot Mudders).
    What do you more knowledgeable tire people have to say about a great highway tire that allso works off road?
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    My opinion/advice: Don't bother with the tire upgrade unless you get a lot of snow where you live. If you don't go offroad, there's really no reason to spend more money on them. Just buy something better when they do wear out. :o) I'm sure others will disagree, but that's why this is just my opinion. :o)
  • jack4108jack4108 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what could be causing the Tach to rev up suddenly without me doing anything? The O/D Off indicator light comes on momentarily at the same time, then just as quickly everything goes back to normal. I am not pressing the button at all. This is a 2001 with only 550 miles on it and this has happened three different times thus far. Would just like to know what it could be - am going to take it back to dealer to fix, but would like to hear from this forum first. Thanks. We own two X's. A 2000 and this one (hmm, the 2002 looks good too!)
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    sounds like you need a car not an SUV!!!!
    but if the O/D light is coming on, ( turning off your o/d ), depending on your speed, its downshifting your engine, and would spike your revs. Maybe a short in the switch ??
    I disagree with msiseng. I do not think "most" Xterras have the problems referred to. I have had mine for a year and have not had a single one of those problems. I too have read all 4 Xterra boards for a year and these are NOT recurrent themes (except for the gas guage/sender unit and the check engine light if you don't tighten the gas cap).

I think the stock tires are fine for on-road, sensible driving, i.e., no speeding in the rain or snow, cornering on 4 wheels, not 2, etc. I believe that the BFG Long Trails were rated as the best all-round SUV all-season tire by Consumer Reports (for what that's worth). Consider getting seasonal snow tires if the weather in your area warrants it and if you've got a place to store them.
    For all who responded, Nissan is changing part of the engine. Going to take three days. Have no clue how they can replace "part" of the engine, but that is what they say. Apparently, a piece that fits on the front of the engine cracked and spewed coolant all over the place. Nissan of America ADMITTED that this is an issue in some Xterras.

Maybe I did not make myself clear before: I only noticed the fluid when I went to check the oil dipstick. That was the only reason for opening the hood. Imagine opening the hood of your beautiful X and seeing a total nightmare! Kind of like biting into a nice apple laden with worms!

And the tires: if you do not believe me, that is your loss. Go to a good tire dealer and ask them about your General Grabbers! Additionally, try to off-road in them. As for being the only one who makes the point of lousy tires, check the historical posts. Moreover, check the XOC which you are a member of. Also, check MAXC. I do not know ANYONE except one lady on this board who claims the tires are ok for going off-road.

Enough said. I am just frustrated that my beautiful New X lives in the shop more than it is on the road. Hope you can understand and that others reading this board think twice before buying.
    If you read the posts, myself as well as others are agreeing with you.. the original ( in my case LTrails ) are good tires, but missing in the mud and offroad. 9 times out of 10, you came on that they sucked. ( you don't bother to mention "when" for the most part ). There is a thread on XOC about original rubber.. most were happy with their usage and capabilities. ( Offroad not withstanding ) OK.. the horse is dead.

As far as this engine, stupid Q.. have you ever lost your oil cap ?? ( another reoccuring problem for some X's ) The only reason I'm asking is a had a chat with another member.. keep losing his cap.. dealer ended up blaming faulty valve covers. ( how metal can strip before a plastic cap, I couldn't understand ) Never mentioned it because I wasn't sure of all the points to it. Maybe a connection to your problem??.. I am curious on what they do end up changing.
  • jmuthjmuth Member Posts: 4
    Just noticed on Monday that the rubber stripping on my wind deflector blew off somehow over the weekend. Note sure when...we did have 60+ mph winds this weekend here in SE Wisconsin, so I'm sure that didn't help. Over the past month or so, it had started coming loose once in awhile on one end, making this horrible flapping noise on the roof. Should have fixed it then, but I let it go. Anyway, I took off the wind deflector, and I think I may like the looks better anyway(with no gear basket), especially now that I can get some light through the sun roof. I would advise to check the stripping every so often, and if it does come loose, maybe put some tape or something in the groove so it fits more tightly.

Joe
    The rubber loss seems to come & go. Mine got loose when I stored the deflector up high in my garage, I think heat had something to do with loosening the bond. Black silicon caulking does the trick, hasn't budged since..
    Thanks for the comments. The X is still in the shop. Apparently, the dealer is replacing parts of the engine. Nissan of America is involved and I am happy with their customer service and follow-up.

Am not sure exactly what they are replacing as the dealership story changes daily, but Nissan Of America promised to replace the X and do something special regarding an extended warranty if the situation is not corrected this week.

Yes, my X still has the oil cap. Now that I am friendly with the people at Nissan of America, I know about many of the X's problems. My engine crack is not typical as I originally thought, but the other issues listed in historical posts remain issues.

While no automible is perfect, I did expect more from Japanese quality control (even if made in the USA).

Guess I just got a lemon ot the people on the assembely lines were having a bad day when my X was born?
  • salvadordcsalvadordc Member Posts: 5
    I've always been intrigued about message boards centered around the cars we own - glad to now be part of a fine group of folks who know a thing or two about a great SUV and are willing to share the love.

Had my silver '00 SE for over a year now and am finally getting around to the accessorizing game. Have the WAAG brush guard in black and am in search of cool-looking driving and/or fog lamps to put on its center ledge. Have some ideas on models from PIAA and Hella but I'm also wondering about how I'm going to turn these things on. Do I wire them to existing lamps (so I don't have to cut into the plastic dash) or do these kits come with a switch that hopefully won't cheapen the X's interior look? I just want a good looking job, in and out.

Also, I have an approx. 4000 lb. boat and trailer that I plan on towing. I have the right hitch and I purposely purchased the automatic tranny per Nissan spec due to the load. What can I expect when towing? And answers like "better upgrade to the new X in the fall" are not acceptable - I couldn't bear the thought!

Thanks all.
    I'm rather curious about the final run down of that bill... it does sound like your X was built the day after the night before, just before the long week-end and put together by a temp worker.

Extra lights.. if you are not replacing the existing ( rather weak ) fog lamps, you are looking at new wiring and a switch. I find it easy to wire from scratch anyway, and Piaa kits are complete and simple to install. The type of light depends on how and what you want to light... Piaa supplies a nice surface mount switch, so no cutting is needed, I've got a manual, so I made a bracket and mounted it at the base between the console and the shift boot, otherwise, I found it tough to find a good location. Try my site.. http://www.geocities.com/x_canuk I have some pics how I installed mine, might give you some basics to follow.

• cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    WHen towing the X with an automatic, make sure you turn your overdrive OFF. If not, all the starts and stops and extra load will burn out the OD. Also, if your boat is 4,000 lbs you should be fine. Does the trailer have brakes? If not, just be careful going down hills as the added weight from behind can literally push your X off the road if you are going too fast. No meed to upgrade your X, it'll tow fine, just go slow and don't force the transmission. Also, I'd recommend getting your trans flushed every so often. FLushing is much better than just draining the fluid. Most shops now have flush machines. It'll preserve your trans for years. Also, Nissan will probably void your warranty if you add this, but at some point you might want to consider a transmission cooler. Nissan even makes one, but told me to wait until my warranty runs out to have it installed.
    Some last minute posts ( mine included ) have disappeared.. pretty sure its not the gods of the board.

salvadordc.. just to clarify ( both those posts went to the twilight zone ) If you replace your fogs, you can use the existing switch and wiring, new extra lights have to be wired in completely.
    Canadian 2000 X's never came with fogs, and is the reason I had to wire new.

msiseng, good to see all is well in time for some long week-end fun.

Have fun everyone.. 4 days off will feel soooo good.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    While working to fix the some problems today the database was corrupted. Unfortunately we were only able to recover data up to this morning - meaning that all posts made to Town Hall since early today are missing. Several people are pulling an all-nighter trying to recover the lost messages; hopefully they'll be back in the morning. Apologies.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I'm glad everything worked out well for you. I was very interested to read your last post about the November Xterras. The whining rear end has been a recurrent theme on all the boards and this is the first time anyone has reported anything back from Nissan itself about it. (The other issues have also been recurrent but I think most of them have been answered, i.e., gas cap, oil fill cap, gas sending unit.)

I must admit that I was tempted to insist that the dealer run my VIN through the system to tell me what day of the week my X was built. On the theory that you should avoid things made Mon. or Fri.

Good holiday, everyone!
    So true! Also avoid things made around the holidays. You can call Nissan Of America to find out the "born on" date of your X. They truly are nice people!

Only good thing that came out of this mess is that Nissan Corporate appears to have Xcellant customer service (not to be confused with the dealer). After owning a Ford Exploader, this is a breath of fresh air!

Not only did Nissan Of America put the dealer in its' proverbial place, they picked-up the rental car tab and tracked the repairs every step of the way.
  • xterawanterxterawanter Member Posts: 7
    I have begun to travel a lot and have noticed that my x seems to find all the bugs on the road. I was wondering if the bug deflector through nissan parts is a good one or if I should go with aftermarket stuff. It seems 70 bucks(price on xterraparts.com) is steep. Also does the bug deflector work worth a crap. Any help will be appretiated.

2001 Super Black XE 3pack auto 4x4 @1800 miles
    IMO.. how bug & deflector got to be used together to describe the part is beyond me. Varied trucks and different deflectors, the bugs still hit. The deflector still helps keeping road debris from putting knicks in your hood, so they are worth it for me.
    From what I've read, the U.S. Nissan deflector has a bronze tint to them, won't match if you have window deflectors etc..( more of a color matching point ) but it works. Cdn Nissan deflector comes in the right dark smoke to match. ( I think the Cdn Nissan One is actually the GTS model )

Side note, I had one post knocked off for using a no no word ( although mis-spelled with the right $$ and wasn't offensive ) I still think the gods of the board are doing a nice job working behind the scenes..credit where credit is due.. and the old timers of this board might have noticed the board doesn't flip as often.
  • floorboardfloorboard Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is Jes! I would like a Nissan Xterra, but cannot decide between mineral blue and solar yellow. If there is anyone near Victoria, TX area w/ a mineral blue Xterra will you please email me so maybe I could take a look at it. [email protected]
    thank you
    -jes
  • kmccreekmccree Member Posts: 1
    I'm very close to signing the papers. They are shipping me a 2WD (2X4), 4cyl. 5speed manual. Does ANYONE have one that's NOT a 4X4. Is this rear wheel drive vehicle good for Michigan weather. I chose this particular model because of money, or lack there of. Anyway, we used to have bad snows, 20 years ago. Now, it doesn't snow as badly or as often. Can it handle it or should I wait and save for a 4X4. I presently have a Nissan Altima which is front wheel drive and have had no problems crawling through the snow. What should I do. Also, is there ANY engine problems or other concerns regarding this truck. Thanks for your help.
    No title bar; strange

4cyl and 4x2.. very rare breed for the X. Although the 4x2 is a very capable truck, I have my doubts using them in a winter prone area. Rear wheel drive + a light rear end truck makes for a good dancing combo on slippery conditions. I'm not even sure if LSD, which might help, even comes with the 4 banger ? The 6 cyl has just enough power as it is, you might be lacking with the 4. I'd either get a bigger loan or wait and save the bucks needed.
    No Title Bar is right.

For those newbies seeking more advice on the X, I just saw one of the best complete X reviews on www.cars.com.

Hope I can post that URL on this board. While the Edmunds.com reviews are very good, the cars.com review lends additional insight to prospective buyers.

A brief synopsis of findings states the the X in built with old technology, is underpowered, gets bad gas mileage and needs better tires -- they even rated the Long Trails and not the General Grabbers which I would not put on my lawnmower.

We all know these issues and still love our vehicles! I would not let that hold-up your purchase decision as this will most likely become a collector's item in the upcoming years (for styling alone).

After all, Nissan raised production levels to 85,000 for 2001 and an increase is expected for next year. A production increase in a slowing SUV market indicates something about the vehicle's success.

The article explains almost everything you need to know before making a purchase.

As Xcanuk indicates, one may want to go with the more powerful engine.

For the person asking about engine problems, read my previous posts. I do NOT think my X is indicative of most, but you better check the "born on" date before buying. Ensure your X was not made in late November through late December of 2000. Most X's do not have engine (except for the check engine light) problems as this is the old Frontier engine which was based on the old 300Z 3.3 litre engine.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi msiseng--

Yeah, more bugs today. The tech people are hard at work on them.

And yeah, it's ok with me if you provide a link to cars.com. I listen to "Click & Clack" twice a week myself.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • osaitaosaita Member Posts: 8
    to kmccree: I would wait on the X till you can get 4X4. I live in COlorado and our snows have been minimal this year. I have found that anytime there is 2 inches or more on the ground I have to put it in 4 wheel drive. My problems have been tires spinning when trying to move from a stop and a sliding rear end. This is not because I was driving too fast or trying to take off at high speed. I am a very conservative driver. If we did not have the 4X4 I would be very disappointed in my X with the winter weather.
  • edapsmanedapsman Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where you can get an overhead console for the Xterra? I have looked everywhere with no luck.
    I agree with the previous posts about snow and 2WD. I am in upstate NY and it just takes a few inches to lose traction in 2WD. I would definitely wait and go for the 4WD.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Aww shucks xcanuck, Steve and I try ;-)

Good luck and carry on!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

P.S. Yup, profanity (even the masked kind where characters are substituted for the letters) is not prohibited in Town Hall since Edmunds.com is a family friendly site :-)
    I haven't seen any overhead console, except for those universal fit shelf units above the visors, but I'm thinking of fabricating one.. another thing on my to do list...
    I have swapped my center console with a steelhorse unit though, loads of room if that is what you are after.
    Is the Xterra bigger or smaller than the Pathfinder? Which has more power? Towing capacity? People room? Cargo room? Ground clearance?
    Bug deflector/wind deflector:

I think it just makes it push some of the wind/bugs up from the hood area to the windshield. You still get bugs on the bug deflector, plus you now have to look at an ugly piece of plastic on the front of your car.

I think the better solution is to keep the front waxed very well, and buy a tube of touch up paint. I'd rather have to do miniscule touchups than have to look at an ugly deflector. Wouldn't hurt to keep a small plastic bottle with some soapy water and a rag if you are really particular.

Same thinking applies to seat covers. I'd rather get the seats dirty and have to clean them, than have to look at a goofy seat cover. (look at all the old grandma's with plastic sofa and lamp covers, and you'll get the idea).
    Other side of the fence on the deflector, a good wax job won't help with the paint chips. I ran without one on other flat nose trucks, touch up paint is never a perfect match, or if anything, you hood looks like it has acne.
    Seat covers are rather tailored now, its not the X your grandma used to drive. Easier to throw them into the wash than trying to freshen the seats. Plus they make a hell of a racket when the seats are in the spin cycle.
    I'd still rather have the dots than the big plastic thing. Same goes for "car bras".
  • cj40cj40 Member Posts: 7
    LapTop Stand:Has anyone used a LapTop Stand/Mount in an X.If so is it rigid enough and unobstructive if 2 are riding in the front or any other suggestions/recommendations.I want to use it with my GPS and Mapping Software.

Thanks....CJ
    Not sure what you are asking about.. got a link ?
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    I'm mighty sure all that info is available here on Edmunds. Just look up the two and compare - you can do it as easily as any of us can, and it probably only takes a couple minutes. :o)
  • cj40cj40 Member Posts: 7
    What I'm referring to is a stand to hold a laptop while driving so I can view the map as I drive.Presently I have to put the Laptop on the back seat and stop to see where I am if I get lost or to just see where I am in the forest while hunting or fishing.Mobilegear.com sells them (stands/desks) and others but I was curious if anyone had used a one, want to get one that's of good quality.Some call them Mobile Desks.I know some GPS units are sold with mapping software but the screens are to small to see and not as detailed as the CD'S in the Laptop, plus the CD'S have voice activation and will tell how far untill the next exit on a planned route, real neat but don't think the 02 X will have it as an option, not yet anyways, but I think eventually all will have it as an option.
  • pootypiepootypie Member Posts: 13
    I wonder why you would even consider a pathfinder? Weren't you the one looking for a vehicle with no frills-one you could hose out? and that gets 22 mpg? by the way I could barely get my X out of the garage with all the extra weight from the leather-wrapped steering wheel and auto-dimming mirror! : )
    Dear pootypie, yes, that was me. In my searching, some people pointed out that the Pathfinder might be a little bigger than the xterra. It doesn't look it to me, which is basically what I am asking. I don't know much about either, hence my asking a lot of questions. Yes, no frills is good. Yes hose it out interior would be mint (but apparently not doable since the land cruiser and cj5/cj7 days.

Thanks in advance.
  • jktottenjktotten Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone installed the rain deflectors on their X? In particular the the canadian model? How do they attach? Do they bolt on?

Did they make a difference? I'm finding in the wintertime with the defroster up high, with a couple of people in the vehicle it's not thawing well so I have to roll down the windows a bit - next thing I know water starts dripping in, so I'm wondering if the deflectors will help?
    Anyway CJ40, I had a feeling what you were looking for, with 2 people in front.. I think it would be tight for a floating laptop stand, although the "jotto" and "laptraveler" on that site have me thinking.
    I run with my laptop as well, same reasoning as you, the normal seat desk tops are bulky, I opted for the standard bean bag desk top, don't know the proper name for it, just picked it up at costco years ago. Basically a plastic board with a bean bag under it. My wife uses it to do her crosswords while driving, and molds to the seat when alone.
    Go to www.cars.com to see the side-by-side comparison and click on the comparison option. See the link below. Take out the space before "national" as this board will only allow words of 115 characters of less.

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/ national/?szc=20815&srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/2001overview/nissan/xterra.tmpl