Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• dadlidadli Posts: 34
    I feel like it is too tall..can I get a shorter one? Who does this ?? I feel like I am driving a bus..and with Solar yellow..geeze..

YOWSA..this thing is EATING gas..any tips? I have a 4x4 6 cyl manual SE

Annie
  • tperrastperras Posts: 2
    My Xterra was back to the dealer twice within the first two weeks of ownership. Both times the problem seemed to be a short in the electrical harness behind the instrument cluster. A fuse popped, the instruments shut down and the vehicle began to hesitate. Anybody else have a similar problem? Is this a sign of future electrical problems?

Thanks,
  • I've noticed some complaints here about the cheap tires which come with the Xterra. Has anyone here replaced their tires yet? How many miles should I expect them to last? Can anyone recommend a tire to replace the original equipment?
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Posts: 290
    Yes, get rid of the Genral Grabbers and get a set of BFG A/T ko tires. They are the best at providing great traction in snow, mud, gravel, etc and the on-road ride is about the same as the stock tire. They are about the best all around tire. Mud Terrrains willobviously be better in the mud, but are loud and bumpy on the highway. The BFG AT ko will also last you 60-80 thousand miles. The Generals will go about 25-30 before they are shot.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    "It is not known what inspired Neil to want to begin racing cars, but what IS known is about his love of cars. Neil Chirico, Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com is ready to answer your questions about the many cars that he has test-driven. Neil also brings you a wealth of knowledge concerning the many questions that you will have about vehicle service, having been in the trenches as a service advisor at the dealership level for many years. Don't miss having your questions answered by one of Edmunds best.

When:
    Tues, March 13th (Tonight) at 5-6pm Pacific/8-9pm Eastern

Click on the link below to read more about/to enter the chat:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/chiricochat031301.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • I have the BFG Long Trail stock tires. I'm perfectly happy with them for everything except big mud and snow. I haven't yet gone seriously off road. I have snows on now but plan to put the BFGs back on in spring. When they die, I'll probably get Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts.

A couple of people have cut the manual shifter down themselves and put new shift knobs on. Xcanuk may be one?

No electrical problems here.

Eating gas? Stop driving. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) I try to keep speed down to around 55-60 mph and tire pressure at 30 psi. I drive pretty gently. I have a 5sp XE 3 pack and get 19-20mpg on mainly two lane roads.
  • xcanukxcanuk Posts: 372
    I really don't want to bust your balloon, ( and this is just my opinion ) but you are off with the A/T's. The A/T's are great tires, I'll start with that. But they are just as bad in the snow, maybe?? a very slight edge over the generals, but not much. They won't last twice as long, a bit longer because of the deeper thread, I got 80kilometers (miles?) out of my first set, they don't shed water on ashaplt driving as well the long trails. Will decrease you mpg a bit as well.

I would recommend them and will give it high marks if you want a great on road and off road tire. Although, I regret that 80% of the X's don't make it to offroad, it might be overkill.
    I've driven with A/T's for 10 years, even tried them on my X of a month of winter and moved to duelers. I don't follow all the hype to them, mainly because for most X drivers, this is their first 4x4 and have nothing to compare to. With that being said.. I've still have my Long trails for daily driving, my set of A/T's for when I head for a week-end of trail riding, and my duelers for winter... 3 sets of rims and a good floor jack.

Damn.. I miss not having the old feature when a post sneaks in.. sorry for repeating silverglider

I didn't cut the shifter, just changed the knobs and lowered the boot, it only looks shorter. I know it looks like it sticks out like a sore... but it works out to a nice level. I did shave about -1/2" by installing a knob with a tiltable head.
  • msisengmsiseng Posts: 369
    WOW!

You must spend a lot of time changing tires! The stock tires are the first modification anyone should make. Where did you buy your extra rims and for how much? Are they 16" rims?

The General Grabbers are a pitiful excuse for molding rubber, in my humble opinion. Nissan must have done this to save money? The Grabbers are fine for the dry road if anyone reading this does absolutely no off-roading and does not drive in rain or the snow!

I looked at the Michelin ATs which are also rated high. Will probably get the BFG A/T ko tires because I already have them on another SUV and people in the MAXC have spoken so highly of them for both on/off-roading.

I think the strange "tin" sound is the spare tire chain hitting the spare tire rim, as many on The MAXC Board have indicated. Could also be the cargo cover as someone here indicated? Will report once the culprit is located as others (on other boards) are experiencing the same issue.
    I don't "follow all the hype" about BFG AT ko's either. I just think if you want an all around awesome tire, they are it. They are king in the snow I go through and waaaaaaay better than the Generals. Also , the ko tires are a lot different from previous BFG AT's. I had duelers on a previous vehicle and felt like I was taking my life in my hands on wet pavement. Tires I guess are a very subjective thing, but there's a pretty strong consensus out there that the BFG AT ko's are one of the best all around off-road/highway tires. If you use 3 sets of tires, then great, but the majority of us want to put our $$$$ into one set of tires that will last. My previous set of BFG AT's went 78,000 miles and I only rotated them once.

Also, just for anyone's info....BFG doesn't actuallly make tires anymore. They stopped about a decade ago. BFG's are made by Michelin, that's why Michelin's AT is comparable to the BFG AT.
  • xsexse Posts: 66
    are the 2 best all-terrain tires out there. bfgoodrich is overrated, imo. they are not as good off road or on road.
    both the pirelli and yokohama are smoother on road, have more control. off road, they shed snow and mud better than the bfg at.
    the bfg are noisy, slippery on wet pavement and comparable off road.
    i am still on my original tires, but when i replace its going to be either the pirelli or yokohama- whichever happens to be cheaper at the moment.
  • I have a question in reference to stock off roading. Is there anyone out there who has not made any mods to their X and how has the off roading performance been? I have a Super Black X 3 pack XE with Auto trans. Thanks.
  • radiogirlradiogirl Posts: 16
    I've asked this question of someone already, but am curious to find out what others have been paying in the Mid-Atlantic area. After fiddling around with some numbers, I'm wondering how a $22,000 out-the-door price (+/- a couple of hundred)will work for an XE or SE. I want auto tran & 4wd. Any (hopefully kind) words from the posters?
  • xsexse Posts: 66
    i, as well as many others, have gone and regularly go off road on the stock tires.
    they are not ideal, but they do the job. if you are thinking of serious 'off roading' (for the sake of 'off roading' and not to 'get somewhere') then you may want to invest in new tires.

i drove some trails in a downpour and they turned to mud. the stock tires sucked. i had to keep up some speed to shed enough mud to get some traction. its noisy with all that mud flicking up into the wheelwells but i made it ok. but i def. am getting all terrain tires for the future. if you do most of your driving on pavement, then i wouldnt change the tires.

xcanuk- didnt mean to contradict your post on bfg atko's.
    everyone should check out the tires, other opinions on them. people have differing experiences in diff. areas. i think xcanuk's opinion should be taken seriously, as i believe he experiences many harsh conditions up north.
  • I think it's difficult to determine if $22,000 is a good price without more information. Are you comparing an XE 3-pack to an SE? The way I determined a good price is to look at Edmund's TMV price, and see what that price is relative to invoice. I felt comfortable with that pricing strategy.
  • xwanter,
    i just went last weekend offroading w/ MAXC in PA. the trails were about 4-6 inches deep with snow. i have the stock Grabbers on my '01 XE. i did just fine. except for getting stuck on a big hill once...there were about 5 X's w/ stock tires, either the grabbers or the long trails (01 vs 00) and we all did just fine.

radiogirl,
    i think 22k is rediculously low for any X w/ auto tranny. where do you live?? i'm in NJ, and i keep seeing ads for an '01 SE auto, on special for like $22,999...but they're just trying to move stock. they said they have 90 at similar savings...check NJ area dealers out...
  • xcanukxcanuk Posts: 372
    As far as price, you not only have to look at the out the door price, and the X set up.. but all the other factors.. trade in, interest rates charged..the list goes on. I think we can only compare ballpark prices. An X can cost $1000. more, but the dealer gives you $2000 more on a trade in..etc.
    As far as the tire debate.. I'm not knocking the A/T's, If you are more of a paved roadie, they might be overkill. You didn't condradict me Xse, Long Trails do get mucked up, I meant shedding water on paved roads.
    As far as having extra rims & tires, the 3rd set are from my 4runner.. the rims fit, but have a different offset and are 15x8's. ( equiv. to the AR767 some are running with ) I have AR Outlaws for my Long Trails, and the X steel rims for my duelers ( calcium build up usually trashes rims here ) swapping tires only takes 15 minutes
  • xwanter,
    i just went last weekend offroading w/ MAXC in PA. the trails were about 4-6 inches deep with snow. i have the stock Grabbers on my '01 XE. i did just fine. except for getting stuck on a big hill once...there were about 5 X's w/ stock tires, either the grabbers or the long trails (01 vs 00) and we all did just fine.

radiogirl,
    i think 22k is rediculously low for any X w/ auto tranny. where do you live?? i'm in NJ, and i keep seeing ads for an '01 SE auto, on special for like $22,999...but they're just trying to move stock. they said they have 90 at similar savings...check NJ area dealers out...
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    2000 Nissan Xterra SE

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I live outside of Wash D.C, I got my 01 SE 4x4 auto trans for 25K out the door (including destination and taxes and tags). $22,000 is rediculously low and any ad that claims that is either talking about a 4cly engine or it's a bait and switch. Try looking at Carmax (www.carmax.com). They have new vehicle dealerships and I bout my X at Nissan Carmax outside of Baltimore. Their no haggle price was around 24,800 for a loaded SE. XE's are about 24,000 even, plus tax, tags, etc. Plus they gave me waaaay more for my trade than any regular dealer around D.C would.