Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• hotcoffeehotcoffee Posts: 218
    Just joking about the BMW- I'd never drive a Gernan or Swedish car. (had a SAAB 9000 Turbo).

The Pathfinder is VERY nice... big jump in $$.
    Looks like, from the pictures here at Edmunds of the 2002- you are stuck with the crappy tires (General Grabbers) unless you go for the supercharger- in which case you get 17" wheels and (I think) Firestone Firehawk tires. The wheels and tires are on the 01 Frontier and look really nice...

I don't really like the 4 Prong wheels- I prefer the '01 XE rims. I think XE and SE both get the 4 prongers for '02... not sure though-- just what I can tell.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    The Nissan Pathfinder has a unibody construction, similar in concept to the BMW X5. The 4Runner's engine is adequate, but it's by no means fast for an SUV.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • msisengmsiseng Posts: 369
    Huh? Look at the '02 Xterra pictures on the Edmunds first drive column and the tires are 17" BFGs!!!! I am in love! Way to go, NISSAN!!!!!!!

Anyone want to buy an '01 now? Dealers will have a tough time getting rid of them when prospects see the '02.

Marine, wait, wait, wait. The new model looks better and better every day!!!! Maybe I should leave the keys in my '01 in a bad neighborhood?
  • xcanukxcanuk Posts: 372
    I'd be curious which 17"?, I haven't checked into 17", but by memory, they don't make anything aggressive ( offroad ) in that size. In other words, you'd be getting more of a street tire ( ala Grabbers or Longtrails ).. At 17", it wouldn't be right for offroad anyway.. more rim, less rubber.
  • Yup msiseng, I am going to wait. Like I said before though it may not be realistic for me to buy a 4x4 due the reality that I will be living in Texas for a while. I think it would be a waste of money, I hear every telling met hat they get around just fine without it. Is the supercharger available in the 4x2? Man, I wish I had a price estimate on these things. This is killing me! I want to know how much more I am going to be investing in this bad puppy. And the tires and the rims on the S/C seem to be very distinct! I like 'em. You seem to have your problems worked out with your current X. Lol. Just don't get shot in the process! ha ha. Are you going to trade in and upgrade or are you going to get that one and let your wife keep hers?
  • By the way, that gold is a ver nice color. I hated the pictures I saw of the other gold in the '01 X, but either this one is nicer (darker) or jsut a better angle! It is still a toss up for me, Silver Ice, Black or now this new Gold.
    The wife gets stuck with th '01 and it appears most of our problems have been rectified (knock on wood). She really wanted it and does not seem to care about the same things I do. Funny thing is she notices how bad the Grabbers are on wet pavement and actually wants new tires. Go figure?

Even if the '02 has a 17" less-aggressive BFG tread, it is still better than anything made by General.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Posts: 290
    There are grease fittings on the front drive shaft that need lubed if you do any sort of off-roading. Dealer should be able to do it blindfolded. I got my dealer to do mine for free last time I was in.
  • I thought all the offroaders went with 15 or even 14 inch tires.
  • I just talked with a dealer and they wrote me saying: "Internet customers can purchase any vehicle on the lot for $100 over invoice ( what we pay for the vehicle)." Now if this is true I will be getting one heck of a deal if not on the '02's but more than great deal on the '01 X.
  • if the new x makes the demand for the 01 shrink are we going to be getting deals that make the 170 hp seem not so bad. There is a line where the price makes the car even better isn't there? and if that is the case, Is there a reason to be buying anything this time of year? why not wait for another 6 weeks to 3months. the dealers want us to think that now, now is the only time to buy... are they right > probably not BUT....
  • xcanukxcanuk Posts: 372
    I guess I'll have to crawl under and look for the nipples, guess I didn't look to hard the last time and then read things were sealed ( which I found strange ) I know I had about a dozen on the toyota.. how many on the X?
    If any dealer is worth squat, they automatically lube when in for an oil change.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Posts: 290
    Theres2mant...you're going on the premise that a particular time of year is better then any other. Mmmm..maybe. But if you want a new vehicle and a are a good negotiator - the time of year doesn't matter. Think about it....when is a dealership *not* having a sale? When are there *not* deep discounts? Cars are always "on sale". The "end of summer clearance" ads are all just marketing. They may be willing to be a tad more flexible in their dealings during the summer months, but they're still going to be making money no matter how you cut it. That doesn't change whether it's February or August.
    I don't agree.

If you've got new, improved versions for 1 to 2% more- and a 1 year newer model year.

You are MOTIVATED to get the old model year leftovers off the lot.

They'll take a bigger hit to make the big profits on excited buyers looking at the newest model.

Just my opinion.

So, I think 1 to 2 months before new models arrive is the time to strike on the very vehicles they wouldn't budge from MSRP on a year ago.
  • I got the response I was looking for. The internet dealer for this Nissan Dealer in Texas guarenteed me, even on the 2002 models, that she would sell one to me at no more than $100 above what they paid (Invoice). And those are her exact words from my questions that i had asked her. She actually seemed very nice, most don't asd jested about me bringing her some Brazilian coffee. If it means getting a great deal like that, then hell, I will bring her 2 bags! Lol
  • In retrospec I to believe that there is a certain 'time' and most importantly 'kind of person' that can buy at the 'right time.' So I combine both of your ideas and say that it is in the middle of your thinking. And this thing about not letting them be your friend, it can work with some people, but if you are truly genuine and you just so happen to catch a genuine dealer then you are in luck. Call it nieve, but it is all about who you know and also in this case what you know! Not many dealers care, I agree, but some do and they are few and far inbetween. Like a dealer referred me to this site so I could find more about the price of the vehicle and he actually quotes his prices from here as well as what I say. But he is my second option and I think that if you ahve options youa re in better shape as well. I really want a new one, so I think I am going to do what it takes. But I do not think I can afford a supercharger 4x4 so will have to settle for a supercharger 4x2. I am also looking realistic. Not much snow in Texas. But then again, I will only be living there for a few years, then transferring to NY again. (I am thiking out loud.) What would you all say, better safe than sorry?
    Marine, be realistic! They are all out for a profit. There is no person/dealer out for your best interest but yourself. Just be careful and watch it. They also have to make a living and feed their families and $100.00 profit is malarky. How do they make money?

They are making it up somewhere. Would you sell an article like a vehicle for only $100.00 profit? I would hate to see them take you!

Beating a USAA price by $200.00 - $400.00 is your best bet! BTW - for those who do not know, USAA is the number one buying service/insurer in the USA. Their services are available to servicemen/women and their dependants. For the record, I do not work for them, but can say their services are AWESOME!

I used to be sell cars in undergraduate school (moved 10 - 20+ Hondas per month) and know that if I EVER sold a car for $100.00 profit, my job would be gone! End of story. Maybe things have changed with Internet buying? You tell me?
    The dealer also gets a 3-4% holdback that is built into invoice- on 30K that's $9-1200.

So, add $100 to that and you get $1000 t0 $1300, and, if they won't drop a $200 ad fee (which I think is bogus)- they can make $1500 on $100 over pricing.

And you still get a nice difference from sticker.

I agree, you have to be careful- but maybe it IS a win/win. And the dealer is honest... but again- have to watch out!

Happy 4th. Thanks to all who have served in the armed forces! You make this day possible and special.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Went out and test drove an Xterra SE yesterday. Nice vehicle. I have to ask though. With 170HP and 200ft/lbs of torque how does this do loaded down with 4 adults and gear? or even a 2.5K tow? or both? Anyone ever tried this?
    On road stability is great for a truck frame. The salesperson even let me take it to a nearby river bank and 4wheel with it! The salesperson was knowledgable about this vehicle which was a nice change. A bit pushy, wanted me to buy right now type of attitude though.
    Let me know about your experiences..