Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• xcanukxcanuk Posts: 372
    my 2 > 85lb boys run as soon as I put my R/C on the ground.....
  • That's odd. I thought cats ran and dogs attacked. Are you all sure you have dogs?

:-) :-) :-)

Kidding, kidding, don't bite.
  • Can anyone tell me if you've had any problems changing the oil on your Xterra? I'll be buying one tomorrow.
  • neusslneussl Posts: 28
    Oil change is easy; in fact it holds just about 3 quarts w/o filter and only about 3 and a half quarts with filter change.
  • Thanks, I had read another site where the person felt it was hard to get at the filter to change the oil. I will be buying my car from an internet quote at 1.5% above invoice price. If the deal goes well, I will let you all know.
  • XSE,

What type paint did you use for your silver R/C? I have the silver ice Xterra so I would like to paint my R/C to match instead of the yellow! Would model paint work you think?

Thanks!
    Too damn polite, but at least they run to the real X.

The hardest part to changing the oil is removing the skid plate to get to it.. maybe a little more trouble than a car, but no biggie..
  • Yep, it's easy. Heck, with the ground clearance under there it's a breeze.
    Make a note, here's how to change the oil easily...

There are 6 bolts holding the skid plate (splash guard) in place. Remove all but the center rear one. The center rear need only be loosened a few turns, the plate is notched to slide off of it, this way you don't have to juggle the plate in mid-air.
    There are 6 plastic pins holding the rubber side flaps to the plate, ignore them. Pull the flaps from the frame by popping the large grommet that hold each to the frame.
    There ya go, filter is right there at the bottom, oil drain is another foot or so back at the bottom too.

Brent
  • All you guys seem to be having a blast with the Xterra R/C's. I have looked at 2 Targets here (NC) and they don't have them. Does anyone know if any stores other than Target carry the mini-X's?

I looked at www.tycorc.com in hopes of ordering one direct, but didn't see them at all there. Also, do they only come in yellow? I have a Denim Blue '00 XE and would like a mini-me to match :)
    To date, I've only read people being lucky at target... in yellow.
    A can of model paint should correct the color match, I think some have mentioned using tubes of color match paint for their X to paint the R/C.. but not sure on it..
  • So is this the updated board since it was shut down a while back?

I can't believe no one has posted for two days.
  • This new format sucks!
  • vykervyker Posts: 1
    Folks,

This is the first time I have used this board, so please be patient. I have a 2000 Xterra XE 4x4 and it runs great.
    However I here a lot about a R/C that people are buying.
    My questions are... Where do you buy it? What is it? What is its main purpose? Also what is a ballpark figure for purchasing the item.

Also I am thinking of using a synthetic, rather than 10W30 oil. Any thoughts on switching ?

I live in South Texas if that makes a difference on what type of oil to use.

Thanks.
  • I would have to agree with wmtrout...this format does suck. It somehow makes navigation harder and it's harder on the eyes. Anyway, can't really complain about something you're not paying for so I'll just shut up now.

vyker, the R/C can be purchased only at Target stores. To date, no one that I know of has reported seeing them at any other store. In fact, we were talking about the R/C just a few posts up. Scroll up a few posts and you'll see several posts covering the R/C topic.

Several people, myself included, use synthetic rather than standard oil in the X. I have noticed that with synthetic the clunking noise that comes from the engine for a few seconds on cold starts is no longer there. Dealer told me that no harm would come to the X if standard oil were to be used and the clunking is normal, but I'd rather not take a chance with extra wear and tear.

Good Luck

P.S. -- If you choose spell check and decide to reedit the message some more, READ THROUGH AGAIN because the stupid spell checker replaces words it does not know with the default words in the drop down boxes without asking. I really hate this thing now.
  • R/C Xterra is a small, radio-controlled Xterra truck that looks just like the full-size ones.

You play with it. You crash it into things. You terrify animals and small humans with it. They cost about $40 at Target stores. Buy one. You will like it.
  • I think I finally saw your X in Columbia yesterday (Saturday) waiting at the light on Little Patuxant (can never remember how to spell it) to make a left on Broken Land Pkwy towards the mall. I'm not 100% sure it was your X or who was driving it (it was raining), but it was a denim blue X with oversized 32" tires. Let me know if this was you. I went passed your X and made a right on Broken Land towards Rte. 29 -- I drive a silver ice X with grill guard, tail light guard, hella 500 driving lights on guard, and deeply tinted windows.

I can't believe the drop off of posts since the format was changed. It's annoying, but it isn't worth staying away from!
  • My wife went to the mall yesterday. I'm the only DB X w/ 32s that I know of, though Allen/Xterrafiles says he saw one on the beltway a couple weeks ago. He was on his way to BWI from VA and I was headed the other way to work and I saw him just after the 270 exit. He said he saw me too, but I was driving the Civic. He said it was a blue X with big tires, so maybe I'm not alone. I did pick up a blue X as I merged on from 29 that was never far from me around the beltway due to traffic, but it didn't have big tires.

I don't suppose you caught the tags on the one you saw, mine are OFFROAD, can't miss 'em :)

Brent
  • There are no checkboxes beside the posts anymore. It used to be every time I launched the shortcut to the board it automatically took me to the last post I had seen, even if I hadn't updated my placemarks. I'm not quite sure how, but I'm sure it's a cookie. Not sure if the new board will behave the same way. Not enough posts to roll over to a new page yet I think.

Brent
  • mindiemindie Posts: 109
    I haven't figured out the new system yet, and I can't find the placemarks anymore either. Actually, my bookmark still takes me to the old style boards and it has some different posts that never showed up on this board. I didn't even know there was a new board until I re-searched for Xterra when no new posts came up for two days on the old one. I'm going to miss being able to save posts through the placemarks... maybe this is something they'll add back sometime in the future?
  • I noticed the lack of placemarks too. I've been reading the same posts for a couple of days now, scrolling through till I get to the end. I don't like the look of this new board. Is the old one still around? I haven't been able to get to it. Why do we always have to "fix" things that aren't broken?
  • Everytime I come back here, the board looks different. This time the typeface is about twice as big as last time.

For what it's worth, all the Xterra boards have been very quiet this weekend. Everyone must be Xmas shopping.
  • hi!
    i ckecked this forum for some info on ownership of xterras. all i got was about fifty posts regarding oil changes and an R/C xterra. yeah, thats right, an R/C xterra. who cares?! is there anyone who wants to tell me that they love/hate their truck? how is it off road? is it reliable and functional? should i look elsewhere for a 4X4 that i will definitely use offroad?
    thanks a bunch!
  • So nice of you to come and [non-permissible content removed] about the content of the board to date. If you want to know something, ask. Don't complain about what we were talking about before you got here, we're not required to stick to a limited list of topics are we?

OK, now that I've got that out of my system...
    I think you'll find that we all love our Xterras. It's a Nissan, based on a proven truck, the Frontier, and with a near-bulletproof engine that has been in use for many years, first as a 3.0 liter, and then as a 3.3 liter. In other words, reliable. Functional? It's an SUV, it functions just fine. You can go places with it, you can carry stuff in it, you can put stuff on it... what do you want it to do? And as for off-road ability, it's the best thing this side of $25k other than perhaps a Wrangler, which is nowhere near as useful otherwise. Want to see some pictures? Try here:
    http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=Xterra_Offroad;action=list
    And for the real hard-core stuff, try:
    http://content.communities.msn.com/PikachuX2000/PhotoAlbum
    http://communities.msn.com/philosophersxterra
    http://communities.msn.com/CraisyDaisys2000Xterra

Brent
  • Couldn't have said it better! Some people just don't have the courtesy to be polite (like they own everything). Heck use that tone of voice and I wouldn't even answer his questions. You're too nice.
  • I have a 2000 Xterra with 7,000 soft miles on it. So far the rear differential has been replaced and recently the trani is vibrating at cold shifting. There is a loud banging noise coming from the floor board when you hit any bumps. The dealer says it is the parking brake and tried to fix once already. I have been told the differential is a problem with the 2000 models. I have always been a Toyota / Honda guy and have NEVER had any problems with either. Nissan however has yet to impress me with their reliability. I love the truck otherwise. But I just can't get over the major repair problems. If Nissan won't make it right I'm switching back to who I know, Honda/Toyota. Any one had these problems?
  • mindiemindie Posts: 109
    So it appears we have placemarks again now, as indicated by the "Mark" button next to the time/date stamp. It looks like it might actually be more helpful than the last ones since we can save a description of the post we're saving. I like the (new? or did I just miss it before) subscribe option too.
  • Hey there,
    Newbie here still shopping.... I'm in Middle Tennessee and folks here think they own the buyers. I saw a post from Dec 12 about a 4x4 for 23,300 with everything. Anyone else get one like that? If you have could you give me a hint where they are , Dealer names, Cities, States Etc. I woulld really like to get one of these trucks but the
    prices ( around 28500 is what I'm given as "best buy") They put me off a little :)
    Thanxs in Advance folks
    laters
    FD
  • It's been awhile since I've been on the board but the recent snow has led me back here. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!! I have a 2000 EX, 3 pkg. On Sunday I took it through 2-3 foot drifts(of snow, for you in Palm Beach County)about 300 yards long. It was awesome, snow flying everywhere, me just busting drifts. I drive around looking at people spinning tires and I just cruise right past them.

I do have one question for the board. Is it socially acceptable for both me and my wife to have the same type of vehicle? We are considering another Xterra. The only thing holding us back is the gas mileage...... and a bigger engine......
    Tried to post something.. and I get to log in... again.. at least I found the new site... which sucks IMO... lets try this again...
    Now I'm too tired to rag whoever was bitching about us not talking about the X.... go buy a escape.. quite sure they are ragging their recalls for entertainment.. I'll go back to playing with my R/C