Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• treadheadtreadhead Posts: 3
    Went to one of my local Nissan Dealers the other night, their demo was an S model in bright yellow....Not what I wanted to drive, hate the yellow and the inside was greasy. Not a good experience, salesman claims they all ride the same, if they do why do they make different models with different size tires?? I can not imagine they all ride the same. Will try somewhere else next week. Any info on real world gas milage on the X????
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Posts: 172
    My wife has an 05 2WD S with the 6-speed stick. She seems to make about 20 mpg regardless of highway/city, a/c or no a/c. Her Xterra only has about 2500 miles on it though, so mileage may go up a little when it's fully broken in.
  • ec8266ec8266 Posts: 1
    I have admired the Xterras from the time they came out so I'm finally going to buy one. But I'm having a hard time deciding on a 6 speed or an auto. I will be using this to tow a jet ski during the summer. I really want a 6 speed but I'm afraid it will pop out of gear and roll down the ramp into the water while I'm trying to unload this thing. The ramp I go to is pretty steep and I'm not sure if the e-brake alone would keep that thing still. Any suggestions? Or am I just being paranoid? :D

I also wanted to know if it costs anything to order one. I cannot find a yellow S with side airbags anywhere. Acutally, I can't find any S with side airbags around here.

Thanks!
  • rx300_99rx300_99 Posts: 5
    did anyone go thru last summer with the neoprene covers ? were they brutally hot and sticky ? thanks in advance.
  • gatorsfgatorsf Posts: 22
    We have a 2002 SE model, 2wd, v6, with 44,000 miles. I am looking to sell it or trade it in, but can't get more than $12,000 on a trade in. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the most effective place to place an ad what a reasonable price may be? I see dealers asking for as much as 18k for a comparable vehicle, but different online pricing tools give me a private-party sales range of 13.5k to 14.4k.

Thanks
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    Go over to "real world trade-in values" here on Edmunds (thanks for the link, Tidester) & give Terry the rundown on your vehicle -- there's a format for all the information he needs at the bottom of the page -- and do give him all of it - color makes a big difference & so does where you live. He's in the business (if there were more like him, "used car salesman" wouldn't be perjorative) and bases his estimates on auction values for the area in question. He'll tell you what's reasonable wholesale (trade-in) or retail (sell it yourself). There's a lot of traffic on the board & it sometimes takes him a day or three to respond to everyone & sometimes you have to repost, but it's worth it.

You may not like the answer, but it'll be accurate.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Here's the link: Real-World Trade-In Values

tidester, host
  • krashkrash Posts: 6
    Based on my car buying experience, I'd say that $500 over invoice is "ok". You didn't get ripped off, but you probably could have paid a bit less, say right around invoice or even slightly under. Look at sites like this one for research on future purchases and you'll be ok. Dealers are in business to sell cars, but it's your responsibility to negotiate a price. I was able to get my Titan for 2k under invoice, 6k off of sticker. I don't think that's common, but the timing was right with the rebates. A couple of others got similar results during that time of year (Oct 04).
  • keyurkeyur Posts: 3
    Thanks for the insight krash.
  • My truck does the same thing. I just thought it was normal.
  • kbweaverkbweaver Posts: 2
    Several reviews of the Xterra mention a whistling or excessive wind noise at about 70 mph. I'm considering a new 2005 Xterra, but would appreciate any feedback from owners on this issue. How bad is the problem? Any remedies?

Thanks,

Keith
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    I know the '05 Xterra just came out and they just cleared the '04s out dealer lots. But it is late July. I'm interested in ordering one because you cannot otherwise find a 6 speed, 4x4 Off Road with SABs and no other options. Does anyone know when Nissan will stop taking orders for the '05s? Does anyone know when you can start ordering the '06s? Maybe Nissan will catch up with the entry level subcompacts from Korea and start offering the SABs standard in 06.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    I've owned a '05 X for about a month with serveral hiway trips 65-75 mph, at times the cross wind will cause a little bit of a hum, but to me nothing serious. Best bet would be to take one for a test drive and see for yourself.

The X is the best bang for the buck IMHO, and I test drove just about every SUV made less than $40k.
  • kbweaverkbweaver Posts: 2
    Thanks, I hope to get a test drive in this weekend. Which model did you end up with?
  • Any way to turn on the "running lights" that are required in Canada?

Have a OR 4x4 6-speed with SAB and am completely satisfied. The only problem was finding one. Nissan doesn't seem to think anyone wants a truck like that.....
  • tex11tex11 Posts: 3
    Tell me about it. I drove 120 miles to find the only OR 4wd automatic in Granite left in Florida.
  • For those out there who are currently looking to buy an 05 Xterra this could be valuable information. I just spent 22k drive out price for my 05 Xterra S automatic with both Power and Utility packages and some assorted additions. Also, b/c I'm a recent graduate I got another $500 off from Nissan, so 21,500, but that won't apply for most. This price wasn't very difficult to get either. I had 3 dealerships in Houston who were within $200 of each other and I probably could have gotten better if I fought harder. It came down to the fact that only one had the color I wanted so I went and got it. Only had it 5 days, but I'm loving it already. Also, that 22k DOES NOT include the trade in. Don't even let them know you have one until you get them to your target price. I will assume that 21,500 drive out (this means tt&l included for those that don't know) can be done at the end of August or September for an 'S' with these packages. Note: TT&L in my area is roughly $1500 for this model.
  • ikastunikastun Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the forum. A month ago I bought a 05 Off-road Xterra, and the gas mileage is incredible poor.
    Nissan published on their web site that one should expect 16/21 (city/highway) but so far I'm getting 8.2 mpg.
    I took the truck to the dealership, and they performed some computerized tests and according to them, everything seems to be normal.
    Any advice?

regards

-Oscar
    from Mexico
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,137
    Hi Oscar, welcome to Edmunds. It takes a while for some cars to break in and approach the EPA gas ratings. My Nissan didn't really start getting ok mileage until around 3,000 miles or so, and it kept increasing even after 10,000 miles.

So I'd give it a bit more time before taking it back to the dealer. 8 is pretty awful though - are you stuck in lots of stop and go traffic?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tex11tex11 Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear that. I actually just bought a 05 OR 4x4 auto with just 24 miles on it and got 22 on the last tank (all highway). You may want to check your HWY miles and see if you are getting at least 18. If not, I would have it looked at. Are you hauling a heavy load or using 4wd much? Even if you did, 8 seems rough.
  • zmasterzmaster Posts: 3
    I test drove an 05 S xterra....what do you guys think about its steering? I thought it was a bit touchy...
  • My Xterra S has fairly smooth steering...not too touchy. Note that depending on what you are changing from your comparison will be different. I switched from a 1/2 ton pickup so the drive is similar.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    If you are use to the old style circ. ball setup, then rack-inpinon will feel a lot different. But I've been real happy with the steering on the X. The Tahoe/Yukon/Surb that I test drove had way too much slop/play.
  • moxie1moxie1 Posts: 12
    Referencing this e-mail and others with Tampa, will you tell me whether your XTerra S is 4WD or 2WD? Also, did you consider the SE? Was adding options to S preferable?

Thanks,

Moxie
  • I too just experienced this problem. It was a metal against metal squeal when I turned to the left and would continue until I tapped the break. Then it was fine. I took my Xterra 03 into the dealer this past weekend and needed new front brakes! I only have 24K miles on my car and do not drive like a wild woman. However the dealer informed me that my back breaks were totally out of adjustment so that they weren't even working properly. How this happened I don't know and would love for someone to tell me if I'm nuts. So I had to get new front brakes, as well as resurfacing of front brakes AND back brakes! It cost a fortune and I wasn't too happy about it.

Definitely take it in to get your breaks checked.
  • Hey guys,

I an 04 SE that just turned 25K miles. I am only getting about 15 miles to the gallon. I am not towing anything or am I using the 4WD. I had an 01 F-150 with a V8 that got better gas mileage than this. Any suggestions? I was thinking about adding a K&N air fliter system.

Thanks,

Shanw
  • xcanukxcanuk Posts: 372
    You have to take a little precaution with the rear brakes on the X, the main cause is a small pulley inside the drum used by the E-brake. I tends to bind up, not releasing the cable for the brake, therefore you're riding them. (burning the drum)
    Easy to check, if the have a manual, see how it rolls while in neutral on a slight slope, or check for heat with your hand aftera short drive if you have an auto.
    A little copper grease on this pully usually prevents this from happening.

This isn't an X thing, happens on most trucks.
  • xcanukxcanuk Posts: 372
    Yep, that's about right. Speed is the main killer, you really have to try to keep it in the 55-65 mph zone, or else it drops off quick.
    I have a K&N on my X, gained maybe 2mpg (comparing same trip, same time of year) but it seems I also lost 2mpg during the winter months.
  • Hi, X owners!

If the rear seats are folded, and the front passenger seat is folded, is the surface smooth like a good bed, from the dash all the way to the back? Or are there any lumps, bumps, or protrusions, which would make it impossible to have a good sleep?

If you know any good links with pictures of the folded seats, I would most appreciate!

Thank you :)
  • I have a 2003 X-Terra 2WD - I have loved it so far but with the gas going beyond $3 a gallon, I was forced to measure the consumption which surprisingly came to 14 mpg !!! Is this normal? Every 6 days cost a tank full - 47 Dollars !!! The SUV has about 25K miles on it and I do not tow anything.