Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES Tires and Wheels

rphwackrphwack Posts: 21
I am from the east coast and have recently purchased a Ruby Red/Black ES350. I am very happy with my choice. I was curious though about the tire brands that are on the ES 350. In the East coast they put on the Michelin Energy tires . While in Las Vegas I noticed that they put on the Toyo Proxes. Is there any difference between the two. Are the Michelin's better for East Coast weather conditions. Just curious if anyone can shed any light on the differences.

Comments

• Tires are usually chosen on a random basis on the day the car gets to the point in the assembly line when it needs tires.
    Yesterday it was a rack of Michelin's .. today a rack of Toyo's, tomorrow a rack of Dunlops.
    My 06 IS 250 I thought was gonna come with Dunlops (which I personally dislike) came with Bridgestones (not bad) probably cause it has the sports package.
    Personally I like & recommend Michelin. I HATE Continential and Dunlops are so so. But that's my .02 cents and MY opinion.
    have not had much (if any) experience with Toyo
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    The Toyo Proxes J33 you saw on the ES350 in Las Vegas are summer tires, suitable for the climate in that area. The Michelin Energy MXV4 on your ES350 are all-season tires suitable for the climate in your area.
  • psychdocpsychdoc Posts: 147
    Summer tires will always give you a better ride and much sharper handling as the sidewalls are significantly stiffer than their "all season" variants. Sadly, their tread life is often inferior to the all seasons' and they are almost worthless if there's any snow on the ground.

The Michelin MXV's are, at best, a compromise and even as all season's are vastly outclassed by others in the same category.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

For instance, compare them to their less expensive, but vastly superior stablemates, the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S'.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS

And I do agree with others, this car is seriously "undertired" running only 215's. A car of this size and power should be running on at least 225's or even 235's. I think the aspect ratio of 55 off the rim is a good choice for a balence of ride comfort and handling.

Ideally, if you want the best performance from a car like this (or any car really), you should put on a good set of summer tires ( http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP ) and swap them for a winter tire or an all season at the first sight of snow.
  • Everything psychdoc said is true, but he did leave something out. Part of the equation in getting such impressive EPA mileage figures for the car rests on using tires like the Michelin MXV4, which have quite low rolling resistance. Wider tires/ summer tires/ winter tires will all cause a small decrease in fuel economy.
    For maximum driving performance, go with his recommendations. For maximum fuel economy, stick with your all-season Michelin MXV's. If you drive in true winter conditions, winter tires make a big difference.
  • jc0430jc0430 Posts: 4
    This isn't really along the lines of the discussion but it is relavent to the topic.

Does anyone have a problem with slow leaks in the tire(s)? I got the ES350 with Michellin Tires. The low pressure sensor came on and I filled the tire 2x before the 5k service. When I mentioned it to the service department, they couldn't find any leaks. Now, it's been almost 3 weeks since the service and the tire needed to be filled twice to bring it to the proper inflation. It seems like the dealer isn't able to do anything about it.

I was thinking of using one of the tire sealant products but I heard it messes up the balance. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has any one experienced the same problem? I could use the spare tire but then the sensor would still go on when the tire in the trunk loses pressure.
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    Assuming that there are no punctures of any kind in the tire, I would look into the possibility of either a rim that is not true (i.e., not perfectly round--it only needs to be a wee bit off for air to leak past), or a defective tire that may also not be perfectly round.
  • Hello to ALL:

I'm new here.

What are the wheel requirements for rims if you want the tire pressure sensors to work?

AtomicDog1
  • LOVE my 350...21K in 12 mos w/o ANY problems. But car is very under-tired, what are biggest replacement tires of same height I can run on stock rims??
    The Michelin 215/55 handle well, but spin easily from rest.
    I assume I could get away with 235/45-17, would be same height and about 20mm, (or 1" wider) could any one comment on this?? ;)
  • I have a bubble in one my Michelin Energy MXMV S8's. I know That I have to change the tire as soon as possible. I priced the tire on Tire Rack.com and it stated a price of $131.00. I called Lexus to set up an appointment and they said that i had to purchase the tire through their parts department. The worker in the parts department quoted me a price of $239.95 for the same tire plus I would have to pay for valves,balancing and installation which could bring the price to over $300 for one tire. I called STS and he said that he would do the same job for $195 installed (valve, balancing and installation) . Is this Ok? Would I violate anything?
  • I went to STS and had them install the tire. Cost was $215 with tax.
    So far no problems. When I mentioned to the STS Salesman that
    Lexus wanted to charge me $239.95 just for the tire he laughed and said " That's because they have to get it from me."
  • Hi
    Why don't you bring the tire to the local NTB, they will install only $18.00 include vale stem and through the old tire alway for you cause I just had it done all 4 tires plus lifetime balance and roadtate. Hope this help.
  • Does anybody else have any suggestions for best sizing of 17" tires for the ES350?
    Can I get away with a 235/45x17 or would I need the 235/50x17 to get the same tire height?? The 215/55 michelins just arent serious tires...
  • dubldocdubldoc Posts: 15
    I last posted here 12/07, have since purchased Falken 235/50 ZE912's, which are AA/A and Z rated. While they give the car a slightly stiffer ride, they really improve control and handling...the stock Michelin MXV's are good for mileage and ride, but are clearly inadequate if you want to push the car a little. The above tires are 1/2 to 3/4" shorter, so you are actually going about 2mph faster at 70 than what the Odo says, but, who cares... and the profile is much more pleasing to the eye. :)
  • I have an 07 ES350 with less than 25,000 miles. I have just been told by the dealer that I need two, if not four, new tires. Nothing unusual has happened to the tires; normal wear and tear (of course this is not covered by warranty) . Is this right?
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    It will be 2mph slower than the Odo says...

I last posted here 12/07, have since purchased Falken 235/50 ZE912's, which are AA/A and Z rated. While they give the car a slightly stiffer ride, they really improve control and handling...the stock Michelin MXV's are good for mileage and ride, but are clearly inadequate if you want to push the car a little. The above tires are 1/2 to 3/4" shorter, so you are actually going about 2mph faster at 70 than what the Odo says, but, who cares... and the profile is much more pleasing to the eye
  • bubba42bubba42 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 ES 350 @ 31,000/miles and today, 2-Michelin Tires had to be replaced. I take great care of the car and can not imagine getting longer wear! Was informed by the Lexus Service that Lexus has been experiencing a pattern developing whereas the Michelin Tires are not getting the normal long-time maintenance & wear, as in times past. Not sure if it's in the product itself; or something to do with the Lexus machine causing the tires to wear quickly. Would anyone have any idea about this?
  • atl2atl2 Posts: 1
    I also have an '07 ES 350. At 21K miles today, the dealer told me I need 1 new tire now and all 4 within 5K miles. His price is $900.
    Who makes a great replacement tire at a good price?
  • tdub01tdub01 Posts: 1
    I have the same car with 35K miles. Just replaced all 4 tires today for just under $700 from Discount Tires with Falken ZIEX 225/50R-17. (warranteed for 30K miles) They weren't the least expensive and certainly not the most. Mainly just wanted a smooth/quiet ride.

BTW - I noticed my replacement tires are not what came with the car...can anyone give me advice if this new size (225/50R-17) is okay on my car? I live in TX where the weather is hot 90% of the time.
  • jano2jano2 Posts: 141
    I also have been told I need new tires for my 2007 ES350. I was first told at about 28,000 that I should buy 2 new tires at Firestone while I was out of town and getting my oil changed. I came back to my local Toyota dealer (no Lexus dealer in my town) for my regular maintenance and they said probably at my 35,000 mile check I should get new tires. Today I take my car in at 32,000 for my state inspection and my tires BARELY pass the Texas state inspection. I am not a happy camper!