Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES Tires and Wheels

2»

Comments

• I need to replace all 4 tires and have heard good things about Michelin Primacy and GoodYear Eagle and GoodYear Tripletread.

I have 215/55/17. Comments on wear, noise, traction and price/offers appreciated. I live in Charlottesville VA.

Thanks.
  • I too am looking for my ES350. I checked the survey results at tirerack.com and saw the Michelin Primacy is great, as is the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. I'm also looking at the Kumho Ecsta and Kumho Solus models as a possible savings. I was looking at the forum here in hopes of hearing from someone with the Kumhos. I'm in FL so snow traction isn't important to me, and the different models vary significantly in this regard. I was looking for low noise and ride comfort. Happy hunting.
  • jano2jano2 Posts: 141
    The original tires I had were Bridgestone Turanza and I will not buy those again. I am considering the Michelin Primacy from Discount Tires @ $146 each and $70 rebate from Michelin when you buy 4. (After you pay all the disposal fees and the TPMS kit fee_-----is that necessary???- total before tax is $694.00). I am disappointed to have put 4 new tires on a car that only has 32,000 miles on it, but for safety's sake I need to bite the bullet and get it done.
    If anyone has seen a better deal on another tire I am interested. I live in College Station, TX where it is hot and humid so I am not concerned about tires for snow.
  • jreynajreyna Posts: 15
    I live not far from you...cypress, tx ( suburb of houston ) and purchase mich primacy 25 mos ago for 04 es330 and the ride has been excellent. Purchase from disc. tire as well @ 143.00/ tire plus certificates of course...not familar with tpms kit fee. Was just in for tire rotation....now have 35k miles on them and he mentioned they still had good life on them. so my thinking if I can get 50k plus milage would be satisfied.....being they have 60k warranty anything less and Discount Tire will prorate when replacements a purchased. Good luck with your decision !
    Thank you for your reply. The TPMS kit is what measures your tire pressure and alerts you when your tires need air. I think I am going to go with the Primacy MXV4 as well.

Have a good weekend!
  • I purchased the Michelin Primacy MXV4's and they have a high pitched noise that is driving me nuts. I took it back to Sears and the rep there didn't hear anything on the ride, but when I called Tire Rack to discuss between Michelin's and the Bridgestone Serenity, they said that they had noticed the "singing" or high pitched noise with the Michelins and that Serenity might be a better choice if you find that kind of thing distracting. Michelin told Sears they'd give a 50% cust satisfaction refund, and Sears said they'd eat the rest if done within 30 days from purchase (next week for me). I'm seriously thinking about the Serenity tires...anyone willing to wade in on an opinion?

Thanks.
    I bought the Primacy's yesterday and I have not noticed any noises. The only thing I can comment on is that they feel like they hug the road better even in the rain.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    just keep in mind that even though someone might put the same exact tire on a car as someone else, if the cars are different due to weight, suspension, etc that can affect how the tires ride and sound; also outside temp and proper tire pressure can contribute to a tires noise

I had four tires a few years ago, I think they were Goodyears, that if I put to much pressure in them they made a high pitched noise while driving so I had to keep them at the recommended pressure and the noise went away

anyway, I have Bridgestone Serenity's on my 2008 Acura TL and after having Michelins, Goodyears, Kumhos, Yokohomas, and Generals on various vehicles over the years, I have found the Serenity's to have the best overall road feel, road grip, and road handling of any tire; in regards to noise and ride quality, while the serenity's are very good they are not as quiet and comfortable as Michelins or Kumhos

actually you are the first person I have heard complain about the noise on the Michelin Primacy's because they were ranked higher than the serenity's in regards to ride quality and noise level on tirerack.com; I mean you could have just gotten a batch that had a problem or there might be a problem with noise with the Primacy's but I can't know for sure since I don't have Michelin Primacy's

while the serenity's I would say are in the top three tires I have ever had they are extremely pricey (roughly $245 a tire for my TL) and the the only reason I got them was because I got an adjustment due to the severe problems I had with the OEM Bridgestone EL400's I had on my car; keep in mind, that the Serenity's are a Bridgestone Turanza series tire and I've seen the majority of Turanza tires on sports cars and cars that have sport tuned suspension because they are designed to give a sportier ride, high performance, good handling/grip, and a little bit of road noise/feel because those are the qualities you want and expect in a good sports car or at the very least a car with a sports suspension

in my experience and opinion, Michelin and Kumho give the best ride quality and lowest noise level; Bridgestone is best for high performance, handling/grip, sportier feel, etc; hope the information was helpful and best of luck with your tire purchase decision
  • I really appreciate your insights. I'm really having a hard time about it. I hate to cause a problem for Sears, but I have tried the tires at higher and lower pressures, and right now have them at 30 psi which is what the car's specs are for tires (on the door). I also need to look at what kind of warranties are on the Serenity's and I've never researched Khumos, but have seen others talking well of them in these forums and on Tirerack. Just don't want to let the chance go by to get tires that I will be happy with for a couple years, and not say, wish I didn't have this annoying noise all the time....I wonder why my lexus es 330 2005 makes that noise, and no one else seems to have that issue....so you Michelin lovers have never notices a high pitched sound ever on the tires? I drive without the radio on alot. And Tirerack said they noticed it because when they road test, they listen to the tires for 15 minutes without any other distractions (radio, etc.).

Anyway, I appreaciate your comments, but I have not gotten any further along on feeling good about making another choice or what that other choice would be. Whatever it would be, I'd want it to be the last change I need to make for a couple years.

Thanks.
  • Did you have the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity? Or what tire in the Turanza series?
    I'm thinking of the Bridgestone Serenity tires.

Thanks.
  • MikeMike Posts: 13
    Some really good points have been made in this discussion about pros and cons on changes from the 215/55/17 tire size. I too am shopping for tires for my 08 ES350 with 30K miles. Sad that the Michelins were so inferior that 40 or 50K is not achievable! (even though, driving was not spirited, but, highway cruising) Although I will trade off optimum fuel mileage, I would like to go with 235/55/17 sizing. This would give the car a slightly more muscular look. These are nice looking cars with a very weak looking, skinny tire. This can be fixed! However, I do not want to encounter any clearance issues at the extreme ends of suspension travel. Once I "over-tired" a Celica GTS and when I hit a somewhat serious bump in the road the tires rubbed inside the fender. So, anyone with 235/55/17s...please assure me that there are no issues of this sort, if you can. Since the 235/50/17 is a smaller diameter, it may clear, but I want the "55" diameter. Thanks for any help.
    Mike
  • While I have a 2007 Honda Accord I too have the high pitch whine that sound like a gear noise with these tires. I have about 7,000 miles on them. The tires tend to sing a little louder if the blacktop is damp or wet....
  • Sears got a customer satisfaction discount and returned them for me and I now have Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires that i LOVE!! Quiet, nice ride, great wet traction...now we will see how they wear...but my sanity was saved to not have to listen to that darn whine...good luck!
  • My ES350 had only 29K and the dealer told me there was a bubble on the from passenger side tire. I decided to change 4 instead of 2- but was disappointed with the quality of the original tire. The car was driven and taken care carefully and there was only normal wear.

The Lexus dealership quoted me near $ 1200 for replacing 4 Michelin tires. I bought instead from discounttiredirect.com 4 Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55-R17 $144 each with no shipping and tax and a local garage installer did the installation for about $65. Bought TPMS kits but installer did not need them. With the $70 Michelin rebate the total cost of replacing 4 tires is roughly half of the dealership quoted me for the exact same tire.
  • I have a 2008 ES 350 and had to replace the Michelin tires at 23000 miles. Never again Michelin and probably never again Lexus because of other problems I have had. I just don't see how Lexus can advertise this as a quality car. It is certainly not worth the money. I have had problems with the windshield wipers, tire pressure monitor, chipping paint, and, most recently, the starter in addition to having to replace the tires so soon. I think my next car will be a Ford.
  • What are the thoughts about having to purchase tire sensors for the TPMS when buying wheels for snow tires? Except for the dash light staying on, are there any other issues with the 2009 ES350 if the senors are not added to the new wheels?

Thanks.
  • rparisrparis Posts: 368
    I recently purchased a 2013 ES350 which has Bridgestone Turanza tires. Does anyone have any experience or comments on these tires vs Michelins as far as the ride or longevity of the tires. They are on 18" wheels and the ride seems a bit harsh?
2»