Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New ES 350 Owner Reports

Comments

• One other question - any problems with windnoise or the transmission that others have complained about?

Thanks again
  • I've been looking at the ES 350 for a few months and getting serious about buying one. Now that you've had yours for awhile, would be very interested in feedback on how it handles on highway 1. We live in the Bay Area and make the tough drive up to Sea Ranch just about every month.

The professional reviews of the ES 350 make it sound like it handles like a Lincoln Town Car on winding roads.

Thanks
  • magnussen lexus of fremont: they had a three-day invoice price sale back in November. I don't think they have that event now but doesn't hurt to give it a try.
  • You wrote:"I've been looking at the ES 350 for a few months and getting serious about buying one. Now that you've had yours for awhile, would be very interested in feedback on how it handles on highway 1. We live in the Bay Area and make the tough drive up to Sea Ranch just about every month."

If highway 1 is your weekly or monthly drive, then I would suggest that you buy BMW 328i since it handles winding roads so well that you forget that you are driving a car. However, ES350 is definitely NOT a Lincoln Town car. It handles winding roads competently and it is FUN to drive, especially when you drive down highway 1 from Daly City to Big Sur. The handling is precise and the feedback is excellent, especially when you engage in the Sports mode. It lacks the firmer road feel that BMWs share, and it is not a sports car, however, it handles far better than MB's C or E series.
  • You wrote: "One other question - any problems with windnoise or the transmission that others have complained about? "

I have yet noticed any unusual windnoise. The only time that I noticed windnoise was the day we drove back from Las Vegas. The windnoise was so loud that voice command could not be executed. I thought that I finally got the windnoise that others had complained about. However, when we got out the car at one of the rest area, we found that it was so windy that we couldn't even stand still! I was so glad that my car was able to hit 85 mph so easily when the wind was blowing against us so badly.

In terms of transmission, I've tried both the automatic and the sports manual and found no problem so far. The dealer explained to me that the ES350s produced in May did have serious transmission problems but it was quickly noticed by Lexus and had been corrected since.
  • Thanks for your prompt responses and Happy New Year
  • mdamesmdames Posts: 79
    I had all the Lexus badging on the front and rear of the vehicle gold plated. It looks outstanding against the Ruby color. All dealerships have vendors who perform this for them. My dealer through this in at no charge to get my business. It really adds a touch of class to the car!
  • Anyone know if ES350 has diecast model?
  • I noticed an odd problem coming from my ma's es350. the rear right area of the car rattles when there is music with bass playing. I find this really odd since we dont have the upgraded speaker system and there really isnt much bass coming from the speakers... at all. The car cant really output much base with the given sound system. In comparison, i have 2 500Watt subs in my car that creates plenty of rattle. What im trying to say is that the rattle coming from the ES is dumbfounded, its like it shouldnt be there in the first place.

it seems either some speaker paneling is loose or the speaker could be partially blown.
  • Why don't you take it back to the dealer and have it checked?
  • I have had my ES350 since last June. However since that time I have had w specific problems that I driving me crazy. The first is that fact that the car is embarrasing to drive in the morning because it sounds like it needs a serious valve adjustment. It has a tapping and knocking sound, but the dealership tells me its normal operation and that it is probably the direct import injector. A car in this class should not sound like this, but they say there is nothing that they can do about it. The second problem involves a significant engine/transmission surge that happens at least once a day. It occurs on upshift after the car has sat for even a short period of time. During upshift the engine and tac races up to about 2500-3000 RPM and then drops back to normal. This appears to happen between 3rd and 4th. They tell me that this is due to the way that I drive the car. It has absolutely nothing with driving habit. It happens when applying the accelerator in a fixed and constant manner. I told them that I want to talk to the factory rep, but they won't tell me specifically when he comes to the dearlership but they do tell me that it is in the morning only. I can't get off of work during that time. They won't give me a phone number for him either. I'm am getting so frustrated that I wish I could give the car back.
  • Picked up my new ES350 last week, replacing my ES300. Love the car so far.

However, it's often the little things that drive you crazy:

1. I don't like daytime running lights. Went to the dealer and they told me they cannot be turned off. Can anyone out there verify that's true? Anyone know a work-around?

2. The key fob. Absolutely hate it. I didn't care for the large-ish key from the ES300; the fob for the ES350 is definitely a step in the wrong direction. I feel like I'm carrying a deck of cards in my pocket. I think the Lexus people made a terrible decision sticking us with a fob of this size, especially leaving us with no alternative.

Comments ??
  • jaspalbjaspalb Posts: 84
    cleveland3:

I agree with your second issue with the key fob. It is annoying that I have to carry this extra piece of hardware. I can't put it in my key-chain, as it is too large to fit in there. As a result I often forget to take it with me. It should have been of credit card size.

How do daytime lights bother you? You are not seeing them. Some states even have a law that they are required for safety reasons. I will agree that they can not be turned off.
  • Re: the key fob....if Lexus is watching this board PLEASE come out with a smaller fob...I'd even pay extra for it. I feel like I'm schlepping a small pet around.

Re: the daytime running lights...let me explain: I like daytime running lights. I like using them. I just don't like the fact that I can't turn them off. If I want to go to a drive-in movie with my wife and sit there with the car one, my frigging lights have to stay on (yes, I know they're somewhat dim). If I'm waiting to pick up my kid at night, my lights are on. I WANT THEM OFF !!!
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    FWIW, I believe the daytime running lights get you a bit of a discount on you auto insurance from most insurers. However, if you like them and can't see them, why is it so important that you can't turn them off especially if you're picking your kid up????
  • Daytime running lights are not the law in the U.S. Until then, I want the right to turn them off.

I said, in my original post, that it's a small thing. But one of the reasons I drive a Lexus is that I don't want to sweat the small things.

What can I tell you...doesn't everyone have one small, fairly insignificant thing that just drives them frigging crazy? Daytime running lights are mine. And that damn fob.
    Fob is definitely more of a nuisance than a convenience. Once, I forgot to turn off my car, 'locked' it with the fob (ignored couple of beeps I heard), and walked away. I wonder if someone could have just gotten in and drive away.

In Canada where I lived for 20 years, driving lights has been a law for ages. I am actually surprized that it is not a law in the US. For me I could not imagine that these lights could be a problem to somebody, but as cleveland3 mentions, to some they are!! If someone is waiting to pick his kids, generally either car should be shut off, or if it has to be running, lights just tell people around that car is running (and can move any moment, so be careful). Just my thoughts.
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    That is the tranny flare that has become prevalent in more than a handful of ES 350s...the service advisor that told you that the surge was due to your driving habits is feeding you a bunch of crock; that, or he apparently is truly ignorant when it comes to ES 350 issues.
    Re: DRL issue--don't mind them "Why would you want the DRLs turned off?" folks; not that I think DRLs serve no useful purpose, but hey--since it isn't illegal to have your DRLs turned off here in the U.S., who am I--or anyone else, for that matter--to tell you that you are wrong for wanting your DRLs turned off?

As far as whether the DRLs can be "permanently" turned off--yes, they can be turned off; find another dealer whose service department is willing to look up the instructions on how to do so. And yes, they can be turned off--my local dealer turned them off on my ES w/o raising a fuss or questioning my motive(s) for wanting them off. Heck--I even had the service tech turn off the seatbelt chimes at the same time...now I'll be waiting for someone here to ask me as to why I would want "to do something stupid like that"... ;)
    Let's see: DRL's and seat belt chimes - both are safety related, one to ensure people see you and the other to remind you to buckle up to avoid possibly getting killed in the event of an accident.

now I'll be waiting for someone here to ask me as to why I would want "to do something stupid like that

Uhh, not meaning to offend, but could you have posed the question and answered it in the same statement above?? :) :) :)
    I asked my dealer to turn off the chime (it is one of custom options), but my dealer refused - he told that it is illegal to turn them off. I wanted them off because, periodically, when I take my belt off momentarily (e.g. to reach my pocket), chime starts. DRLs is a different matter.
    Has anyone tried customizing door lock/unlock functions as detailed on Manual page 20 & 21. I wanted to change 'Driver door linked unlocking' function (all doors are opened if driver's door is opened within 10 seconds after turning the engine off). I can't do this or any other changes listed. Don't know if there any detail missing I need to follow.
  • I took my ES350 (3,000 miles) to the dealer to have bad dashboard noises repaired. It took them one full week and the repair invoice stated: (and I quote, bad grammar as well)
    Dash R&R front windshield creaking noise coming from right side lower corner between windshield and body unable to reseal due to big gap replaced windshield, sublet to (auto body shop name) also creaking sound coming from across dashboard and body panel remove and reseal dashboard and reinstalled also reseal navigation and radio unit panel and upper A/C vent remove and reseal instrument panel lower dashboard panel.
    I'm thoroughly disgusted. They had to sublet to a body shop?? Also, the auto interior/exterior setting resets to manual after turning off the ignition. They had me wait 1 hour while a technician tried to correct it with zero result.

:lemon:
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    colorfulyears, I may be flying out to Vegas in
    March for a seminar and then I'm thinking of
    driving to San Fran to meet up with my brother
    and his family that are thinking of going to
    San Fran during my nephew's Spring break.

I was wondering if you could let me know how long it took you to get from San Fran to Vegas
    in your Lexus. Alas, I won't by able to take
    my RX. I'll have to rent a car. :cry:
    Notwithstanding the safety benefits of both features, would you know then why in the ES 350 owner's manual under the personalized features section does it mention that the seat belt chimes can be programmed to be disabled?

Now I would never argue against people choosing to buckle up, but I would offer this question--do YOU need a chime to remind you that you need to buckle up? Would you not otherwise know that you need to buckle up if there was no seat belt chime to remind you? Do you wait for the seat belt chime to go off first before you buckle up...or do you buckle up, regardless?

For some folks, perhaps the chime is really needed...but for those of us who already have the common sense to know that we should always buckle up, we shouldn't have to be questioned if we decide to have the chime disabled, IMHO.
    Assuming you're in the U.S.--point out to the service advisor the entry in the personalized settings section in the owner's manual (towards the end of the book) that mentions about the ability for the chimes to be disabled. If he still refuses to disable them, you can either live with that decision...or find another dealer who will disable them.

I really don't believe that disabling them via programming is illegal--after all, a seat belt chime is not a safety device...it is only a reminder mechanism.
    Perhaps the chime was initially intended to be a reminder but has evolved into something which is a flat out irritant to get you to buckle up. That might be needed (if it gets you to buckle up) since many people don't like being "forced" to do anything, especially when it comes to government regulation(s). Buckling up prevents many deaths (I don't know the stats) which in turn keeps insurance costs down (even though they always seem to go higher). That being the case, perhaps those that don't buckle up but get injured should not be covered by their insurance company?

Certainly my response will draw the ire of those liberal "free thinkers" out there who always know more than others and that's fine. I don't know (or care) if it's illegal to disable chimes but I'm sure some technician can be found to defeat the chime. Those of us with common sense are probably victims of those without common sense which ends up causing installation of things like nonstop chimes and disclaimers which always pop up on the nav screen that you have to agree to before using it.
  • I have the same problem on both sides with my 2007 ES 350, ultra luxury with panoramic roof. It seems worse on the driver's side. The dealer originally acknowledged the noise and was looking into a fix, but upon further review the dealer is saying that this is normal due to the placement of the mirrors. It is really loud -- has your dealer been able to resolve your problem? There is a posting a few months back saying that a dealer did resolve this problem for someone else.
  • Hi,
    I still have the wind noise. The dealer tried tightening the doors but it didn't help. The noise is especially worse in a cross wind. My car has also developed rattles in the dash board especially when it below 35 degrees outside. I am waiting for another cold day to bring in to the dealer. This is my first Lexus but I will be selling the car in a few months as I am very disappointed. I always owned Toyotas and never felt like this about a car before.

Yesterday I forgot to close the change compartment left of the steering wheel and when I exited the car my leg hit it and I pulled off the whole bottom part of the dash! It was held in by plastic clips so I just pushed it back in. I guess ALL cars on not built the way they were 10 years ago.

Good luck with your wind noise! I can't stand it!!
  • ronstronst Posts: 1
    You need a new transmission. Contact 800-25LEXUS.
This discussion has been closed.