Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Climate Control

Comments

• The tint makes a HUGE difference. I large windshield sunscreen helps, too. I got my sunscreen from Mazda. It was $40 (ouch), but it's the only one I could find that fit. We've been over 100 degrees on many days this summer in Tulsa, and the tint and sunscreen have been an invaluable investment.
  • menmy5menmy5 Posts: 12
    We got ours tinted immediately so I have no comparison, but I can say that we have no problems with the AC in the current 90+ degree weather.
  • I had the same problem on trip in Maine. It was raining heavily, driving on highway and every time the a/c compressor went on, there was an awful squeal that persisted as long as teh compressor was on. I had to turn it off, and of course the defroster did not work then (it works by a/c) so had to open the windows!
    Took it to the dealer today and they could find nothing wrong.
    :cry:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    How hot was it outside and how long was it parked in the sun?
    Did you open all the windows and exhaust all the pre-existing superhot air out before you tried to cool the vehicle with the A/C?
    Did you have the A/C on maximum cooling and maximum fan speed and did you have it set in the recirculation mode? All car A/Cs cool the cabins much faster if you use the recirc setting (usually done for you when you choose a "Max AC" setting.
    How long did you run the A/C? If you did short trips, you may not have had enough time to cool down the interior before parking again.
  • We've just been through a week ling heat wave in Toront, with temps (humidex) upto 117F It's never taken my 5 more than a few minutes to cool the car down to acceptable levels. I was worried about the AC issue to. No longer. THe AC on the 5 is better than mty Dodge stratus. The AC on that car was never able to cool the interior . I don't get any squeal when the AC kicks in, just the click of the compressor clutch engaging

That said I have Tinted windows, more of an asthetic thing. I think most cars look better once you tint them. I do keep the moonroof cover drawn in this heat.
  • wusterwuster Posts: 153
    A couple of things that you can do to help the a/c performance of your 5.

If you park outside all the time, use a sun shade on the front windshield (I got one at Costco that fits fine) when parked. Your ac system is blowing cold air, but if the dash duct works/vents it's traveling through to get to the cabin is hot, then air is going to warm up before it gets to you. It's one of those laws of thermodynamics...

You can also close the two side vents so you'll get more air out the two center vents. And angle those two center vents slightly up. Hot air rises, so if the vent is angled up, it'll cool the hot air in the car faster.

But I agree with everyone else, you're better off tinting the windows.
  • zoom500zoom500 Posts: 11
    Thanks for the quick response on the A/C. Here in Connecticut the weather has broken and cooler days are ahead. We are in the process of getting pricing for tinting the windows. Does anyone have pricing for this process and can anyone in Ct recommend a place? Also I read on this post some one got 20% tinting, is that enough or too much?
    Thanks again all!! First tank was 25.3 mpg much better than the 16 I was getting in the ford I was driving before, more zoom too... ;)
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    I had the same experience: took it to the dealer but they found nothing wrong. I guess that either the A/C squeal will repeat and get worse, and the dealer will eventually find something wrong with it, or it won't happen again. So far, it hasn't happened again...
  • I have a Touring Model with the climate control. It seems like the heater is always on: even if I turn the temperature all the way down, if I don't have the AC on, the air coming out the vents is almost 20 degrees F warmer than the ambient air.

Has anyone else experienced this?

So far no luck with the dealership on this problem, by the way.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Is this true even in the winter?
  • I haven't actually done any measurements in the winter, I must admit.
    The measurements I've done are when it is in the 70's out. It is most noticeable then, as AC really shouldn't be necessary, and all you want is some fresh air.
  • kivokivo Posts: 64
    How does the car run when the AC is on? Does it still run smoothly? Any change at all in power? I drive a 6 cyl. now so I just want to make sure the car runs well when the AC is on. Thanks.
  • I have driven 4,6 and 8 Cyl. A/C load is felt in 6 and 4 so yes, there is a minor change in load but so far power remains OK. before my Mazda5s (I have one with the "regular" A/C knobs and one with the Auto A/C one) I had a Honda Civic and, compared to the Mazda5, it felt really "loaded" with A/C
    Went out today in close to 100 degree heat and I felt the A/C was not as cold as my last car. I have a 2008 Touring and although it wasn't hot in the car, I think it should have been cooler. I know there were complaints about the A/C, but I thought they would have fixed it by now. Anyone else who owns a 2008 have this problem?
  • athenasiusathenasius Posts: 118
    not sure if you have auto a/c option. if you do and it is really hot i turn the temp all the way down so that the a/c is as max cold. if you put it at the temp you like the air is not as cold and as the inside walls of the car are putting off heat and the sensor is near the center of the car to the right of the stereo it does not cool well. alfter the car has cooled of you can then let the auto part do it;s thing and control the temp and fan speed.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    I turn off the auto setting, set the knob to the highest fan speed and turn on the rear a/c, then no probs...
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Was the A/C set to recirculate or fresh?
    It was set to recirculate and the temp was set at 63.
  • jonat1xjonat1x Posts: 34
    As the owner of a three-month-old 5. my observation is that the A/C performs well on the highway but at low speeds and in traffic it is largely ineffectual.
  • speddyspeddy Posts: 16
    I have a 08 mz 5 gt that I just got. The sticker says it has heated outside mirrors. The thing is I can't figure out how to turn on that feature. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.