Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Sunfire Starting and Stalling Problems

14567810»

Comments

• It's the battery I bought a new battery for my ponic at SAMs cluc n it was the solution. No more stalling.
  • jimd52jimd52 Posts: 3
    It sounds like the starter relay switch which is located on the drivers side rad support (if your car has one-some don't) It's about one inch square and two inches long with 4 leads. It costs about 37 bucks at the dealer- if they can find it. It's one of those GM after thoughts which isn't listed in the parts book. Use the part number instead. It has something to do with the anti theft curcuit as well, and is responsible for doing wierd things, like making the starter stick engaged, Just not turning over when you go to tart it, or the car suddenly cranking on it's own!
    Check to see if you have a starter relay switch bolted to the driver side rad support. it's a one in square relay with 4 lead terminal coming out the bottom. 10-1 that's your problem. It can cause a few wierd problems, the "dead starer", sticking starter, suddenly cranking on it's own, starting and stalling when you release the key- which is probaby the small black ground wire which runs from that relay to the starter housing. If that is broken or loose it will start but not run.
    Check if you have a small one inch square by 12 in long relay switch bolted to the drivers side rad support with a 4 lead terminal at the bottom. If you have this, it is most likely the problem. (Get a new one $37) If you don't have that relay, check your wires are tight on the starter selenoid which is right on top the starter. Check and clean battery posts.
  • This car has been sitting without being started for a few months. We tried a few weeks ago to start it, but it only cranked over. Appeared not to be firing. Today using starting fluid and spraying it in the throttle body it started, but then it dies. We tried this several times. It will start then die. I see both wires have been spliced on the top on the baffle that goes to the throttle body (on the top of the baffle). I'm not sure if that is a sensor or what. I will wire it back together. I'm wondering if we have a fuel pump issue here, or the key issue where you need to turn it on for 10-15 minutes and try to restart it. The battery is weak, but I have a good snap on jumper box attached to it trying to start it. Any ideas what will keep this car running?
  • lindseygjlindseygj Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. It has 130,000 Miles on it. When it starts it has been acting funny. It does not happen all of the time. Maybe 3-4 times a month. I will turn the key and it will sound like it's going to start and then it will back off and then it will start. This is the best way that I can explain it. I don't believe it is misfiring. Also, I have replaced the battery and the starter. I had the alternator and fuses checked as well. So far it has started every time but I really sounds like it isn't going to. I don't know if it is the wiring. I asked a bunch of mechanic friends if they had any idea but they don't seem to have a clue and everything they tell me sounds like bull. It was doing it before I changed my starter and then after I changed my starter it kept doing it but now it seems to be doing the same thing but sounds worse. It almost sounds like the battery starts everything but it dies before the engine can start but it keeps pushing and finally starts the car. I don't know what to do or any other way to describe it. Everything else is perfect about it. :cry: Please help me if you can. I just want to know what is wrong so that I can fix it.">
  • I suspected the fuel pump, and after replacing it, the car started right up. It was actually pretty easy to change out, too!
  • Could it possibly be your fuel pump going bad? These cars are common for fuel pumps failing. I just had to put one in a 2001 Sunfire. We could start it after spraying starting fluid in the throttle body, but it would die shortly after.
  • sounds like the fuel pressure regulator.its located on the fuel rail and is easy to fix.pull the vacum line off if gas comes out its bad.
  • I have a 01 Pontiac sunfire the engine tries to turn over but no spark. I have replace the plugs, wires, and coil pack/ignition control module. Any help would be appreciated.
  • kabeekabee Posts: 1
    CKECK YOUR CATALICT CONVERTER FOR IT IS NOW MUST LIKELY PLUGED DUE TO THE SPEED BUMP FINISHING IT OFF. THE PLATIUM INSIDE THESE CATS, ARE VERY VERY FRAGLE AND WILL BRAKE UP AND CLOG THE OUTPUT OF YOU CAT. CONVERTER THEREBY CHOCKING OF THE ENGINE !!!note IF THIS IS THE CASE IF TOU DRIVE OR RUN THE VEHICLE LONG ENOUGH THE CAT CONVERTER WILL GET RED HOT AND EITHER KILL THE ENGINE OR START A FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!K.A.B.E.E.
  • greuworgreuwor Posts: 1
    I had a similar issue, and it turned out to be a loose wire in the steering column.
  • sunfire_04sunfire_04 Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I have a rough idle in my 04 sunfire at times you can be sitting idling find then she bounces and or stalls..we have replaced, multiple censors, coil pack, plugs, throttle body, air filter, we have fixed some codes but still have random misfires on cylinders 2,3 and 4 none on 1 and a code for her running rich? Very frustrated any ideas? :cry:
  • jenfreyjenfrey Posts: 1
    I really hope you found an answer to this! I also have a 2002 Sunfire that just started not starting sporadically? I brought it to autozone... They said bad battery... Brought to Midas... They said alternator was bad. Replaced alternator... Fixed problem for 2 days. Yesterday... Car wouldn't start again? Midas looked at it, and said, " no idea it starts fine now, just drive it till it does it again."
    I travel for my job, and a dead car at the sketchy airport is not an option!
    Review: good battery, new alternator, good starter
    Any info would truly be appreciated!
  • kikipotskikipots Posts: 1
    PLEASE HELP.... i have an 04 sunfire. I noticed recently that it would have trouble starting i put some fuel injector cleaner in it. Then it stalled out on me twice then it just wouldn't start. I replaced the fuel filter and i know its not my fuel pump so i went into electrical. i replaced my plugs and wires and even the coil pack and module and still wont start. I also did a compression test and the readings came out great so my engine isn't blown is there anyone that can help.

-Kiki.
14567810»