Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Sunfire Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• Try running a full tank of supreme and dumping in a bottle if injector cleaner. It Helped with my Cavalier.
  • I was driving home from college when all of a sudden the car stalled coming out of a intersection. After it stalled it wouldn't start again. It tries to fire but it just doesnt go. I took it in to get serviced and they said it might be the fuel pump, just wondering if that is my only option. and if it is where could i find a decent fuel pump for a little less then then my quote at $300. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Hey all! New to the board! Hope someone has some wisdom to help me out! I have a '96 GT 2.4L. Sometimes it just won't start! Battery's good, fuel pump's new/tank, have 'short-ram' intake and header-back custom exhaust; no engine mods yet but soon.
    Sometimes when the key is turned there is no fuel pump pressurization noise and the car will crank but stalls almost immediately or just won't even turn over. You can sit in it for 5 minutes, crank it and it starts right up or sometimes it won't crank for a day!
    Or, you can hold the ignition in the 'start' position for a few seconds and then it'll crank up...? Any suggestions? :confuse:
  • pontiac3pontiac3 Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 sunfire that that has @ 180,000 miles. The car stalls for no reasons. I have taken to mechanics and no one can seem to identify the problem. Spark plugs/wires have been changed, fuel filter has been changed. Any ideas what could be causing this problem. Doesn't happen all the time. May run perfect for weeks and then will stall.
  • I just bought a 1995 Pontiac Sunfire myself and I was having the same problem as you. I took it to a transmission shop and they fixed it. Apparently this problem isn't very rare with these cars. I think what happens is when the engine gets warm there's a sensor in the transmission that stops working and works like a stick shift, and when the sensor isn't working, it acts as though you aren't using the clutch right. So I just had my car fixed for that problem at the transmission shop, it cost me $225. I'm not sure if that's what your problem is, but you should go have them check it out for you. When my car stalled it was usually when I would press on the brakes. Hope this helps! :blush:
  • I have a '99 sunfire that just recently started to feel like it was going to stall, kind of jerking, and has stalled a couple of times. Mine also doesn't do it all the time, sometimes it's perfectly fine, then some days it does it a lot. Has anyone figured out what is wrong with it?
  • rob_1986rob_1986 Posts: 1
    Terrimichelle8, The 1995- till the last Sunfire/Cavalier. have all had this problem, it is due to something as simple as a dirty Throtle Plate, as well as dirty Fuel Injectors, now get some Brake Cleaner and clean off the throttle plate and dump it in your engine dont worry your engine will burn it off when u start it, and there you go it should run as good as new! hope this helps (remeber to do this at least once a year with these cars)
  • Hey whats up.. I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire and mine was doing the same thing one time.. I had a leak in my Radiator hose... So i had to replace it.. You should try it.. they dont cost very much..
  • yaahhuuyaahhuu Posts: 1
    I have 96 Sunfire 2.2L with 138K on it. Since past couple of weeks I've been experiencing following problems:

1. Blowing thick black smoke
    2. Stalls intermittently at traffic lights
    3. Misfires

I had it checked completely and the mechanic suggested an engine replacement! He gave me a printout of results and said there are two cylinders misfiring and there is a little crack in head gasket. Now I can't even drive the car as the pickup is terrible. Should I get the engine replaced? I can't even sell it in this condition (it won't even pass the emission test). Mechanic said, he would find me an engine with around 77000 clicks for $1100 - $1300. Is it worth? This is my first post, I would really appreciate any inputs.

• I have had the same problem in my 2000. The stalling or lack of starting got worse and worse until it wouldn't start. The problem was the ignition switch, and had nothing to do with the factory recall on the switch. The recall had been done already. Here is an article that will show you how to repair the problem step by step. http://www.freeengineinfo.com/index.php/auto_tuning/2006/06/12/ignition_switch_1- Hope this takes care of your problem as it did mine! :)
  • i have a 1996 sunfire se (2.2, 5spd). i've owned it for a couple of years, and have fixed most of the common problems with the 2.2, as in the head gasket, fuel pump, ignition module, etc. now, however, it has started to die on me after the engine is warm. it will miss really bad then die, and it won't syart back for like two hours! i was told it was the fuel pump, and i replaced it, but it didn't help. like i've sai, it has new coil packs, IM, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, and new plugs and wires. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM!!!! i really like the car, and i've done so much work to it (after market) that i would hate to get rid of it. is it an electrical problem, or mechanical?
  • i have a 96 2.2 5spd sunfire, and its giving me alot of trouble. it will run fine until the engine is warm, then it will spit and miss, then die. while its missing, the tach will go all wonky, and the speedo will jump around. when it dies, it won't start for like an hour or so! i've already changed the igniti0on module, coil packs, fuel pressure reg., and fuel pump. in fact, after i put yhe fuel pump in, it acted crazy, and now it won't strat at all! is this an electrical problem, or something i can fix easy? PLEASE HELP! i love this little car, and id hate to have to get rid of it because i can't fix it! :cry:
  • Does anyone know about whether the recall problem could have caused my ignition switch to wear out. (No known fires, thank goodness).

If not, what is this garage talking about when they say they have to replace the sensor and everything else. All I want is a new switch, that should be cheap enough. They want $650!
  • Alright, so I have a problem with MY 2000 sunfire too!!! I've recently had my engine replaced (about 4 months ago, but we won't get into that problem) and about 1 1/2 months ago it started running really rough. My engine light and T/C light come on the dash and the code says intermittent misfire on cylinders 2&3. Pretty random stuff. Tried the wires, tried coils, tried EGR valve, and even tried unplugging the battery for awhile to try and reset ECM.
    The car never actually stalls, it runs rough while driving and while idling. And this starts happening right away, the engine isn't even warmed up yet. It only gets better when in neutral.
    On top of all of this my car shifts really hard (auto.) and I've had my car up on the hoist and the fluid is fine.
    Please help and give me some suggestions as I am really fed up with my car. I've only owned it a year and have sunk too much into it.
    Thanks so much :lemon:
  • torrtorr Posts: 1
    I changed the spark plugs and wires one at a time, gapped to .040 I also changed the fuel filter. I took it for a drive and the check engine light came on. It idles great but if you put a load on it, it runs real rough. Checked the spark plugs for debris and wires on tight, put the old fuel filter back on, but it didn't help. Any body got any suggestions? Help mee!!!
  • mciccimcicci Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sunfire with 40,000 miles on it. When I drive the battery light comes on and then goes off. Then all of my interior lights slowly dim out and all of my dash indicators light up and the car dies. I have replaced my Alternator, battery and positive battery terminals and I am still having problems. I don't know what to look for next, any sugesstions?
  • my 96 sunfire 2.4 starts only if i floor it. then it goes up to about 4500 rpms and quits. it will idle for about 1 second, but it only runs off of 2 cylinders. the middle two fouled out, so we changed the plugs. now one doesnt get wet at all. we replace the throttle postioning sensor, but nothing. have some sort of clue what is wrong?
  • My car is currently sitting at the parking lot of my work and has been sitting there for 5 days now. When i place the key in the ignition the key turns but nothing happens...no lights on the dash and best of all won't start. I was speaking with my husband and I remember 2 years ago we had to get the recall fixed on our vehicle and I'm wondering if this wore out the ignition switch. I can't wait to trade this car in. If anyone knows what's wrong please let me know. :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • I have a 2003 sunfire. It keeps stalling while i'm driving. :cry: I've taken it to many mechanics and nobody can tell me what is the matter with it. i've replace fuel filter and many other things and nothing seems to work... Please help me if you know of anything that may help.
  • Sorry it seems this link has changed, here is the new one. http://www.freeengineinfo.com/auto-tuning/ignition-switch-1.htm