Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Basic Maintenance Questions

cards_200cards_200 Posts: 44
Is it easy to get at the oil filter on '06? Any other tips or insight on changing oil?

Comments

• bman64bman64 Posts: 14
    The oil filter on the 2006 R18 engine couldn't be easier to get to. It's located right near the front at the bottom on the passenger side, you can literally put your hand right on it if you reach back under the front bumper. Doesn't make a mess when you remove it, oil changes are much more pleasant than I ever expected.

The Honda filters require a Honda tool ($20) to remove them. It's like a large shallow socket that fits over the end of the filter, and ever so slightly different (smaller inside diameter) than the 'common' ones you can buy at the parts store.

The ones available at parts stores won't grip a Honda filter :mad: , so I removed my original Honda filter with a large pair of channel-lock pliers. I replaced it with a NAPA Gold (same as WIX) filter, the 'common' filter wrench ($4) removes it.

Here's a link to a site that will answer all your oil change questions and more, do search on 'Honda' in the various forums when you get there to narrow things down:Bob Is The Oil Guy
  • cards_200cards_200 Posts: 44
    Thanks bman, great info.
  • kero1kero1 Posts: 154
    I just did my first oil change this weekend and believe it or, the black plastic filter remover cap for my wife's 05 corolla actually removed the filter on my LX sedan.

You just have to push hard and then turn and it has enough bite to remove it. It worked fine.

The black plastic fitler remover I used was from walmart and works on a 05 corolla LE filter.
  • I purchased a Purolator Pure One oil filter from Advance Auto Parts and the filter tool. Makes changes a breeze and was under $10 for the tool.
  • mhobby1mhobby1 Posts: 3
    I just got my 06 civic lx sedan and didn't notice until after I got it home the wiper blade/arm. Pretty unusual. It doesn't have the metal arm 'skeleton' that all other wipers I've had on previous cars and seen at autozone,etc. for replacements. They look expensive to replace. Other than the dealer, has anyone found a source online for these hopefully less expensive than local dealer? From some sites I've looked at you can get replacements that look like the same old wiper arm but I would prefer the oem type blade if possible.
  • perezrperezr Posts: 7
    I haven't seen the replacements offered anyhwere else yet, but if you look in your owner's manual, it is only the actual wiping edge piece that you replace, not the whole supporting structure.

The end cap comes off and you slide out the old blade (wiping edge) and then slide the new one in, so it shouldn't be too expensive.
  • rmgtx01rmgtx01 Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2001 EX. I just performed the 80k required maintenance but the maintenance required light is still on. Does anyone know how to reset it?
  • ttbttb Posts: 40
    It is in the owner's manual. Hope this helps.
  • bsplbspl Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Honda Civic Lx. I've been hearing a thumping/clunking sound under my car whenever I make a left turn. I hear and feel the sound somewhere around where the brakes and accelerator are located- somewhere on the left side.
    I just had a mechanic take a look at that area and he found nothing wrong, even though he also heard the noise. He suggested that I take the car to a Honda dealer and have them check it out. Any suggestions?
  • I have a 2002 Honda Civic and read that the timing belt needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles. I read that manuals for Honda Civics older than 2002 recommend changing the timing belt at 110,000 miles. 1) Why the change? 2) What could a layperson look for to assess if a timing belt needs to be changed, as it's recommended that the timing belt be inspected as part of periodic maintainence? Thanks.
  • As the technology has improved, the timing belts have been made out of more durable materials, extending the time between changes. For the 2002 Civic, the timing belt should normally be replaced at 110k miles. However, if you regularly drive your car in temperatures over 110°F, or under 20°F, you should replace it at 60k miles, because the extremes break down the belt materials more quickly.

When inspecting the timing belt, you're not going to be able to really see when it's "ready to go", because the most structurally important parts of the belt are hidden within it. You do want to look for cracks, peeling, flaking, hardening, oil contamination, or uneven wear.

Regardless of the number of miles you put on the car, if you haven't replaced the timing belt by your car's 8th birthday, you're running on borrowed time. It's also a good idea to replace your water pump at the same time.

Most shops, dealership-based or otherwise, will still "encourage" you to change your timing belt at 60k mile intervals, because ... well ... because they make a lot of money on it.
  • Thanks so much for a clear, detailed message that makes sense. My car is 4 years old but I have 94,000 miles on it. I asked a (new to me)mechanic about it and he said exactly what you said a mechanic would say, that I should change the timing belt and do the water pump too, and the recommended interval is 60,000 miles. Thanks again.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    My 06 Civic does not mention a timing belt does it have a timing chain instead?My 2002 CRV had a chain.
  • CV joints needs to be replaced.
  • I was at Honda yesterday and the tech was actually complaining about how impossible it was to get at the oil filter on the Civic Si.. so i walked under that Si on the lift to look (cuz i own one now as of this week) holy s***, the filter is like in the middle of HELL. i couldn't put my hand on it or reach it from any angle

Does it require a special tool to reach and unscrew it?
  • Pat and Karens,

I just spent over 780.00 on trying to get my check engine light to go out on my subj Civic. The final answer is "you have a bad computer" and to replace will cost 980.00. Well, if they ran diagnostics on it in the first place to correct a temperature Hi/Lo sensor and a transmission part (which makes the car run excellent now) how can that be. I found one on e-bay with 40K miles on it, but the numbers do not match up.

I own a car made in Japan, with a JHMED VIN...

it ststates on the computer:

37820-PM5-A550
    601-139748
    8 B
    with a manufacture date of 87-12-24

the computer for auction says...

37820-P2E-A72
    260-221546
    LJ

will it be compatable? Cost for the computer is less than 100.00. Is this something I can just swap out myself?

I bought this car new in 1988, it has over 178,000 miles, it drove me to 5 ships and 5 shore stations and will be featured in my retirement ceremony after I get to 25 yrs in the Navy. Everyone hates it but I loove it. It is my baby blue car!

Happy thanksgiving!

Kevin, Senior Chief, Unitied States Navy
  • A check of Honda parts lists at web site such as Majestic Honda's, show that the 2006 Civics (I checked the 4DR DX, LX, and EX, MT) use a cam chain rather than a timing belt.
  • Last weekend I had 4 new tires put onto my car. I traveled over 500 miles and on the way home started to hear a "squeak" coming from the front end of the car. It only seems to happen when going over 50MPH. I instantly think it is the timing belt as the car is a 2000 Honda Civic with 88K on it. Is it possibly just struts or springs or could it be a timing belt?