Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Basic Maintenance Questions

123457»

Comments

• sharadsharad Posts: 10
    Hi,

I have a Honda Civic 2001 with me. I will be driving 180 miles daily for 4 days a week for work purpose.

What precautions should I take? and how should I maintain my car for this Daily High Millage drive.

Please Advice.
  • magee2magee2 Posts: 4
    I took your advice had the transmission fluid changed at 70K intervals (2). For some reason, I became a pothole magnet in NJ this past winter and my passenger side front end is sounding a bit clunky. I am so concerned about the dealership overselling, auto club overlooking, it becomes confusing as to what I need to do next.

Though I will not maintenance my car myself, is it worth it to buy the expensive Chilton car manual for referencing? Appreciate advice.

Since 2007, I have been unemployed twice after long term consulting jobs. Maintaining a vehicle and being selective comes down to dollars and cents (sense). Thanks. :blush:
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,758
    I would (actually have) run them interchangeably and when needed run them as topping or back fill. In these neck of the woods, the 0w20 (Mobil One) does not go on sale, unlike 5w20 (Mobil One). I have run 20,000 miles OCI's since the factory fill recommended change out @ 10,000 miles. New/old engine, it really does not matter.
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    What is the proper way to break in a new 2012 Civic?

In other car manuals, they will advise to drive gingerly for the first 500 or so miles at various speeds. But didn't see any such comments in the Civic manual.

Also....when I owned Acura's....they indicated that the motor oil should not be changed until past 5,000 miles because of special additives. However...didn't see any such in the Honda manual. Any info on that?

Thanks.
  • civic2001civic2001 Posts: 30
    My 08 Civic LX just passed 3 years with 36k miles. According to the owner's manual, brake fluid should be changed every 3 years. Honda dealer charges about $120 as compared to $80 by independent shops. Manual does say it should only be replaced with Honda Heavy Duty DOT3 brake fluid only and discourages from using other standard non-Honda-specific DOT3. How critical is it to use Honda only brand? Thanks.
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    Honda dealer charges about $120 as compared to $80 by independent shops.

I just got my changed at a Honda dealer for $89. Had to call around. Of the four Honda dealers in the city, they were the lowest.

But there is nothing that special about Honda brake fluid. I would use a good dot 3 fluid and not worry about it.
  • magee2magee2 Posts: 4
    Hi! :shades: It's me again:)

Will it matter if I go to the dealer for the maintenance schedule
    items?

Also, I hear Accord is better for the long run - million miles but
    I want to keep my Civic as long as possible until I can afford
    to replace - say 3-5 more years+.

Thanks. :)
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,636
    My a/c starts out cool after being in the garage but eventually starts to blow warmish air. I've never had to have it serviced in the 5 + years that I've owned the Civic. Since it's supposed to be a closed system, I assumed that eventually the refrigerant would start to cool down again. The only thing I can think of is that there might be a small leak somewhere in the system and most has leaked out. The compressor cycles normally when the a/c is on and I use the max a/c setting since South Florida right now is pretty brutal.

Thinking that a visit to my mechanic is in order here. I looked to see if there are any TSB's or any other issues with the '06 Civic a/c and found nothing. Has anyone else heard of something that maybe I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all...and am still loving the car even though I don't drive it much.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,636
    Turns out I need a new compressor and with just 32.2k miles on the car, feel it's a bit premature for the compressor to be bad. Any ideas on how I should approach Honda corporate? And also, can't find the number...does anyone know the number I should call?

Thanks all in advance for any help here. I am forever grateful! I am,

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Thanks for asking this question. I have also bought a 2012 si and could not find those answers in the owners manuel either. I have 450 miles on the car in 3 weeks, but have not had the VTECH lights come on yet, kinda curious, hope the break in is only 500 miles, lol.

Thanks
123457»