Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Tires and Wheels

Comments

• sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Had the fix done this past August and the tires are wearing very evenly at this point. Honda even gave me back some $ on the new set of tires I had to purchase. Great car overall and I've been test driving several makes and models this past few months for my kids. Would recommend any Honda product if one has the $ to buy them.

The Sandman :)
  • I believe it has to do with a design flaw in the car. I have a 2007 Civic and the car has alot of swaying and vibration problems in heavy rain or snowy conditions. Honda says there is nothing they can do because it is not a safty issue because Honda is not aware of anyone being killed because of this problem. I am here to tell you on some days the car is undrivable past 45 mph it vibrates so badly you think the car will come apart. It dosen't do it all the time. The car vibrates the worse in snowy conditions when snow is accumulating in the wheel well and in heavy rain. Anyway, I have owned several cars and lived in the north my entire life and I have never had a car do what this car does. I am also a military and commercial pilot and I am use to handling equipement at high speeds in snow and ice; I dont trust this car in the snow or heavy rain.
  • I too hate, hate, hate the handling of this car. Handles like a cheap car would, and this wasn't cheap. After 36k on oem tires I have new ones and it is a little better but not close to where it should be. I certainly won't buy Honda. again
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I have experienced vibration as you described on other cars, particularly those with full wheel covers. What happens is snow/slush gets stuck between the cover and wheel, and freezes. That throws the wheel out of balance and you get vibration at higher speeds. If that is in fact what is happening, one way to avoid it is to get alloy wheels.

Now, if the car is doing this in rain (not freezing rain) too, then there's something very strange going on with the car. Rain should not cause vibration, and if the tires have good tread on them and your speed is reasonable for conditions, there should be no swaying either unless it's buffeting from strong winds--that can happen with small, light cars like the Civic.
  • nsteevonsteevo Posts: 18
    The service bulletin number for the alignment problem is 08-011.
    I went to the dealer as a result of a discussion in another blog about handling problems on slippery pavement. Mine was so bad I had started looking at buying a new//different car.
    The dealer will replace the rear upper control arms which (originally) were designed to "tilt" the wheels allowing for better handling. Only problem with this great idea is that it causes uneven tire wear (a prerequisite to having the dealer replace the parts and to do an alignment on Honda) and lack of control on slippery pavement.
    Mine was fixed yesterday. My fingers and toes are crossed cause I love this little car and want to keep it.
  • I have a 2006 lx coupe and I need tires. I live in the midwest and I am looking for a good all season tire that has decent traction in snowy conditions. The Bridgestones were awful. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • llnsllns Posts: 1
    Sandman, Let me know if you continue to have success. I had the exact same problem on my 07 Civic. After several heated conversations with the dealership, they grudgingly mentioned the service bulletin. Had the fix done, got some money back for the new tires, this was in late July. Guess what...it's howling and chopping up my tires again :sick: It just started a few weeks ago, so I guess I'll take it back to my mechanic for yet another alignment and tire rotation.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    On my son's '06 Civic, the tires wore out at 25,000 miles. He now has 70,000 miles and I will see how these do. This is the third set of tires. My dealer swares that it was out of alignment and that it was out of alignment due to his driving. I know this can't be. I was extremely disappointed that a Honda would have this kind of problem. This is more like something from GM or Chrysler than a Honda. In fact, I have driven both and I have never had this from them. I have an '05 Accord and I have not had issues with it and it has 82,000 miles and I just replaced the original set of tires. They still had tread left. On the Accord forum, I am reading about their issues and I am thinking that maybe Honda is not what it used to be. I have been helping my brother find a used Odyssey. In the Odyssey forum, I can't believe the problems they have had with transmission failure.
    We drive a Honda and a Cadillac; interesting mix I know. The Cadillac is the smaller CTS. We had the same thing on it and the dealer told me it was the suspension when the tires had 25,000 miles. I had the tires replaced and it solved the problem. He told me, on that particular car, that you had to rotate every 5,000 and align every 15,000. Nothing surprises me on the big three, but it definitely does on a Honda. I am almost sure that you are hearing tire wear and it should not be. I have an '05 Accord and an'06 Civic. As I said in an earlier post, I have had this on the Civic, but not the Accord.
    I am on my way to the Honda dealer today with my son's '06 Civic. I am glad I read your post. As stated in an earlier post, he has had the alignment issue. On the way back from Florida on a 4 lane regular divided highway, his car went into a spin on wet pavement, spinning several times. He wound up in the median and was nearly killed. It was raining very hard and he was driving under 65 mph. There were four of them in the car with luggage. I am going to hit them with this. He has 70,000 miles and I am not sure they will do anything but I am going to press them.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    My newer tires are wearing perfectly but I'm just at 20k today as a matter of fact. I don't put the mileage that most put on their cars since I live within 10 miles from work up just one stretch of city 6 way road. It's strictly a commuter car since my wife and 2 girls have their own cars and only my son uses it on breaks home from college. Still love the car and hope to keep it for many years.

The partial refund I did get from Honda I was happy with even though I think they should've compensated me for all four tires. A difference of opinion but I was happy for something. I do keep an eye on the tires and so far...perfect.

The Sandman :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• scamper2scamper2 Posts: 3
    I chimed in some time ago on problems with uneven tire wear and humming from tires bith summer and more so winter. Honda Canada have n\been very diffficult to deal with howevr the local dealer has helped push the issue. I have been having this problem since about June 08 with an o8 civic with approx 18,000km. After 4 wheel alignment (report all OK) probleem attributed to tire compound, replace tires which began to feather after about 10,000km. Winter tire time which that worsened and worsened. Now another 4 wheel alignment, which reportedly is now to Honda Civic spec design (the first wasn't) I am told all should be OK. Kilometers or miles will tell the tale only problem is warrant is soon coming to close as I drive approx 50,000 km per yr. Fingers crossed for silence and no humming allowed.
    Had these replaced Friday under warranty. Heard strange noise front rear over speed bumps which got worse with passengers. Checked car and came back and said they would be swapped out. Do I need to have a 4-wheel alignment done again? They never mentioned it and I forgot to ask. Since I still have part of my 3 year policy in effect, will have it done regardless but was just wondering.

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• I have a same problem. I have 06 civic ex coupe. Tires worn out in less than 26000 miles. I filed a complaint to Honda and the matter is still on. When i will get the result, i will post it.
  • crazyflycrazyfly Posts: 61
    newhondaowner7,

I recommend Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

They are #1 rated High Performance All Season tires. To read details about the tire visit tirerack.com. On the main screen, select the make/model of your car, then filter the results for Michelin and read the details. I think you will be pleased with the results. It is relatively expensive, but Discount Tire and Sears stores carry this tire at lower price and often at promo price especially around special days like Memorial day etc. If you can plan for a new set of tire I would wait for these to go on sale.
  • The question is which ones are lighter? Taking pure MPG aspect of the wheels, more weight - more rotational energy transferred back and forth.

Talking about both stock steel wheels w/ covers (16inch) that come on the 2009 Civic LS and the the Alloy wheels that come on the 2009 Civic LX-S.

Does anybody know if its is worth going over to the LX-S for the wheels alone (looks are not important to me) the issues is if the alloy wheels are lighter than the steel. I read somewhere that the lower quality alloy wheels not necessarily weigh less than the steel counterpart.

I did not have a chance to sit in the LX-S so i dont know if there are any big differences in the Gray vs. Black (sporty LX-S) interior.

What are your opinions? Thanks!
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,705
    Actually you have to weight them (each set/one) to really know. There are some "enthusiasts' " sites that actually keep this "informal" non official data. I even think that if you went to your local (in your example Honda) dealer, to get the official data, it would take a while to get the correct answers, if they knew at all. As you suspect, this is a huge clue why the data is not being kept. (very few alloys)actually weight less than steel wheels.

Normally to get alloys that "statistically significantly" contribute to weight loss that will make a document able difference is almost non existent. To do so you are normally talking about FORGED wheel sets. They of course are almost exponentially higher in price/cost. This would almost always be a $ loss as far as mpg savings is concerned.

As you probably have observed, the chief reasons for alloys are.... looks/style/status/statement/opportunites for additional sales. For obvious reasons, the care and repair costs to forged wheels goes up even higher for forged wheels.

Alloys cost more for both normal maintenance and/or especially repair. If you will NEVER nick a wheel or touch a curb, no real worries. As you probably know, most alloys have clear coats and need to be treated like the clear coat painted body surfaces. That being true, good maintenance really requires weekly washings and 3 month inspection and repair or touch up, polishing and "waxing". You should probably do the inner (reverse) side of the alloys at the same time.

The cars that I have with STEEL wheels happen to get the best mpg !!?? 2004 Civic 38-42 mpg , 2003 Jetta TDI 48-52 mpg normal commute. In addition, tires have lasted 74,500 and 112,300 miles respectively. Could alloy wheels have done the same? Well, I do not know, as to test it would have required an additional 187,000 miles A/B test. On the Jetta, I wanted a spare set of "steelies" and picked up a set of 4 on the after market for $50./12.50 each. Normal cosmetic or rust repair is DIY, sandpaper and spray paint. I do happen to wash the (inner) reverse sides of the steel wheels when I rotate them at 10,000 miles intervals. ;)

So would it be "worth" going to alloys? We haven't even talked about the usual up charge on more expensive tires that the majority of folks go to.
    Bought '05 Civic SI 10 spoke alloys on ebay and love the look of the car, the steelies with the abs covers were very dull looking. Car actually drives the same as just swapped the tires form the steelies to the alloys. Probably would've just gone with the LX-S if they had that model in '06. Gives the whole car a sportier look and almost no one has the same alloys on their car...have seen only one who did the same swap.

• krazydawgkrazydawg Posts: 5
    The stock size listed for my 95 Civic EX Coupe is 185/60R14 according to TireRack. 185/65R14 is currently installed. I have an invoice from the previous owner showing it was installed by Big O Tires. My tires need to be replaced soon and the quote I received was for a 185/65R14 instead of stock. Will there be any difference or advantage in going up a size?
  • crazyflycrazyfly Posts: 61
    A friend of mine did that and took a hit on fuel economy by 5 mpg. I am not a tire expert but think that perhaps a higher tire size increases traction and drag than what has been optimized for the vehicle.

Unless tire looks are important, I would stay with stock size.