Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Tires and Wheels

12345679»

Comments

• My 2009 Honda Civic rear tires went bald in 1200 miles after I had them checked. I slid out on the freeway when I went over a puddle. Very dangerous.
    Has anyone else experienced their Honda Civic rear tires going bald or wearing down really quickly--in an unusually short amount of time?
  • I bought a 2008 Civic Coupe EX in November of 2007. Have had vibration issues and uneven/rapid tire wear with the vehicle since day one. Have had multiple balances (including road force and force match procedures), alignments and tire replacements which have not resolved the issue. Dealer claims control arm issue not applicable to '08 Civics, only to '06 and '07 models. Waiting for dealer's latest reply, as they are "consulting" with the Honda Technical Group about the issue.
  • zoozeekeezoozeekee Posts: 1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to replace original tires. I have a 2008 CIVIC LX with 205 width tires, but with wheels that accommodate up to 225 width (the EX model has 215, for instance). Has anyone upgraded width of their tires? If so:

1. How did this affect on-center steering? (I've been told that wider tires make steering less precise.)
    2. How did this affect acceleration? (I've read that heavier tires make acceleration slower.)
    3. How did this affect braking? (I assume better braking?)
    4. How did this affect handling? (I've read that handling should be better.)
    5. How did this affect gas mileage? (I've read that gas mileage decreases because of greater weight of tires.)

Thanks greatly for your assistance.

Zoozeekee
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    I don't worry about tread life. I get a set of tires with an 80,000 mile warranty at Discount tire,have them rotated every 6,000 for free. They wear out at 40,000 and I get a 50% credit toward the next set of tires and do it again. I've never had a set of tires last more than 48,000 on 3 different Hondas. I like fresh rubber.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,677
    Think this is the size of the whole Civic range except possibly the DX model. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• wco81wco81 Posts: 495
    Got a leak in my front right tire and noticed the tread on the front tires were low.

They've never been rotated. The car has under 15k miles and is over 4 years old so very light use for a short commute.

I considered replacing the pair (but for now got the tire patched) and went to tirerack for first time and saw that the ratings on the Bridgestones were low, compared to other tires they recommend for the 2007 Civic EX sedan, like a couple of Yokohamas, Continental and Michelin.

Has anyone just replaced a pair of the tires with a different brand than the Bridgestones that came with the car?

Any experiences with using tirerack and their recommended local installers?

I used to get tires at Costco but the tires they had in the 205/R16s are $100, 130 or $147 each. Tirerack is cheaper, even for the Michelins at $120.
  • Based on these forums and TireRack, I got Michelin Pilot Exalto. So far, tires make a lot of noise when driving between 50-60 mph. Below that and above that, noise is much less. Do not know why. Any ideas?
  • One of my daughters has had nothing but problems with the performance tires on her '07 Si. Originally had summer performance tires (not the best move in Cleveland, but she didn't know any better). She replaced those with all season tires and got some, but not much, help in the winter handling department and she continues to plagued by constant leaks. She's replaced one wheel and is about to replace another.

My other daughter drives and '07 LX and has had none of these problems, although she's in Eugene, OR and doesn't see as much snow.

Is there a tire wheel combination that will allow the one with the Si to ditch the low-profiles without compromising safety? High performance handling is not an issue.

My first thought was to just switch out the wheels for those standard on an LX or EX, but I hadn't considered that the Si is lower than those and, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, there might be clearance problems.
  • mykul_bmykul_b Posts: 1
    scamper2, The folks at the Honda Dealership werent honest with you. I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX that i experienced the same exact issues that you had. I had replaced two sets of tires and on my second set of tires, thought It was a balance issue, and not once did Honda ever alert me that there was a Newsletter sent to all the dealerships regarding uneven wear on tires of these vehicles, I believe this body style 2006-2008 for sure....Long story short, they did not send a notification to the car owners, I believe to save money on a recall. I contacted corporate and forced them to replace the control arms. They say if they control arms have a specific stamp on them, then these were classified as needing replaced, without calling them defective. I just had this done. Now I am fighting them for replacement of these new tires.
    Had mine replaced and they would only reimburse me for 2 of the tires...didn't feel like arguing with them so just took the cash...it's been over two years now and the tires are wearing smoothly all around and since I have an alignment policy, I get it done every 4 months or so. And now since I only drive about 1k miles per year, everything is fine.

Good luck! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Does anyone here recall an article about various wheel sizes that were tested on a Honda Civic? It was from a few years ago, they tested all sorts of sizes, 13" to 17", IIRC.

I'm looking to use it as a reference in regards to another vehicle, anyone have that link?

They measured unsprung weight, acceleration, handling, etc. I recall the huge wheel were actually detrimental.

TIA
    Just had my alignment tweaked at Tires Plus...glad I've got a 3 year policy...it was pulling slightly to the right & the mechanic said the right rear was out a bit. Very sensitive to the way the car drives & I must have a straight steering wheel at all times too...just me I guess. They wanted $130 for the tranny fluid change...seems a bit high compared to what Edmunds says. Will do it eventually since am just about to hit 31k in the next 40 miles. Tires I thought were worn they said I still have time to swap 'em out...a good thing, since I'm on a strict "save $" budget right now.

Even the mechanic said my car looks brand new but someone put some scratches on my drivers front door...really pissed me off that some folks would do that to someone else's nice car. Not deep sceratches but just the same...wtf?? :mad:
    The Sandman :mad: :sick: :shades:

• rrshinnrrshinn Posts: 16
    I purchased a new set of Honda OEM Steel Wheels for our 2010 Civic LX. They are 16 X 6.5 wheels. Reading the OEM Good Year RS-A tires it says not to be mounted on 16 X 6.5 Rims just wondering what gives? Any help would be appreciated.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    How wider are those tires?
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,896
    edited April 2011
    No. It does not surprise me at all. I was actually bummed when I got 74,300 miles on oem Honda Civic tires. I did some research and actually got both a CHEAPER set (than oem) and the 2nd set is on track for 125,000 miles. (oem size @ 185/70/14 15k to 17k miles wear per 1/32nd in) If any one is interested I run them at the so called "highway" tp @ 35 psi. This car was bought for a purpose full: point a to point b commute (54 miles R/T per day @ 83% of the mileage) and that holds true 7/8 years later. The rest of the mileage is going shopping and an occasional longer road trip.
  • nyhardest5nyhardest5 Posts: 1
    i have a 1992 honda civic n i recently found chrome rims used in mint condition i want but the were on a 91 toyota mycivic CIVIC
    80-96
    13 X 5
    4X100
    12mmX1.5
    and the rims came off a toyota TERCEL
    83-97
    13 X 4.5
    4X100
    12mmX1.5
    my question is will these rims fit my honda?