Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• i often have a hard time getting my van out of park. it is getting worse any ideaas?
  • Hello, nennay31 here. Update on the 2000 Windstar with many problems. Found out that the #2 piston is lying in the oil pan (a fine place to be?!) Not good. So with a balance still owed on it, I am shopping for a new van. As many complaints as there are here, any sugggestions for a NEW van. I am leaning toward the '05 Kia Sedona... looks good, good warrenty and payments are easy on wallet!
  • fabdulfabdul Posts: 5
    My Windstar has less than 98000 miles on it. The problem is when ever i turn a corner, it shuts off. It will crank straight away but will always die out on a corner. Please help. No dealer, mechanic or computer reading can locate the problem.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    When is the last time you changed the fuel filter?
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    See post #1888. (Air Bypass Valve) You can do it yourself. I had this done twice over 100k and always fixed the problem. Dealer should know that. I think there is a TBS on it.
  • I cannot remember and will be trying that. Thanks
  • Where would i find this TBS? Thanks Floyd
  • Yep, I'm in the same boat. My first gasket went at around 80k, and it took the engine w/ it. Ford put in a reman short block and it's been fine up until a few weeks ago when it went again at 160k. Since there are so many other things wrong with this van, including a broken steering wheel bushing, a transmission that's been giving me problems for the past 3 years, broken seats, etc., etc., etc., I think I'm just going to donate it.
  • vls2vls2 Posts: 1
    My 2000 Windstar broke down 400 miles from home because the torque converter failed. The car had 65,000 miles on it and had just had its 60,000mile check up where they changes transmission oil and replaced seals. So much for Ford maintenance. The total charge for replacing the torque converter and valve body cover was $1995. This for a car that is worth between $5000 and $6000. I'll never buy another Ford. In my opinion the Japanese cars are well worth the extra money you pay up front not to have these problems. It is too bad for the American worker and Ford shareholders, but after 45 years of buying American, I have to give up on American automobiles
  • There's a thumping noise that starts when I turn the ac lever to the heat side. As soon as its all the way to the cold side the sound stops. Which sucks cause it's getting cold and my wife and kids need heat. We dont hear the thumping until we switch over to heat!!! Any suggestions.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    The documents linked under Section 4: Leaking Front Cover and Intake Manifold Gaskets in V-6 Engines at http://www.flamingfords.info/ indicate that Ford paid for free replacement of "front cover gasket" on some 96-97 models with the 3.8 L engine, but apparently not for the Windstar. What is going on? How can they say it is defective if it is on a Mustang but not on a Windstar with the same engine?

BTW, is the front cover gasket the same thing as timing cover gasket?
  • Have you checked the 02 sensors. These affect the air mixture in the fuel injection and cause the engine to run badly if they are slow or bad. 40 k miles is unusual, but not unheard of.. I think there are several. Also check the EGR valve.
  • Does anyone know if a one time heavy exposure to antifreeze can cause an oxygen sensor to turn green if the engine is never started again after the exposure.
  • I had the same problem with my 2003 windstar. It is one of 2 things. A blend door actuator, or a cracked blend door. Mine was just an actuator. The actuator is only about $50 from the dealer, if it needs a blend door you have to buy a heater box for about $1000.
    I spoke with a ford technician, and he said if you have a cracked blend door, it can be repaired by removing the actuator and placing a hose clamp at the base of the door. Though not the best fix, it will work and probablly get you through winter. I have done some research and this seems to be a common problem. Ford has way over complicated this system. much more than it has to be. I hope this helps. This is the first Ford I have ever owned. I have only had Toyotas up till now. And really wanted a Sienna, but could not afford one. I have owned my Windstar for 6 weeks and it has been back to the Dealer 4 times for warranty repairs. (Blend door actuator, Right Rear window motor, interior lights flicker sometimes and Transmission shifts not smooth) Dealer says trans is shifting normally. These vans are also known for steering racks, p/s pumps, and other issues. Figured I would give Ford a try with this one. Hope this one won't burn me.

Justin
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    Sorry, It's a TSB tech service bulletin. Dealer should have them. But, the item replaced was the Air Bypass Valve. Small and tubular 3inches long by 1inch diameter, it sits on top of engine a little to right of center and toward the back. Mine is silver in color. It ran around $300, most of which was diagnostics and labor. Next time I will do it myself or have my mechanic do it. There are other possible items, vacuum lines, computer reprogramming, and throttle positioning sensor. But, I think this is a commom problem on the Windstar.

Good Luck
  • Our van is possessed, in the middle of the night it will start honking, and one of us has to run and press the alarm button, all hours, and when your in a store, at school, 3 hrs. after you've driven it, It will just start honking...It seems to be getting worse, Used to be once every few weeks, and now it has happened at least 5 times in the last two days,
    We've changed the battery in the remote.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    windbag
  • Add me to your list. 99 Windstar-we were lucky to buy the entended warranty which covered the intake manifold gasket. Now we are dealing with transmission problems.
  • hey there. The THIRD window motor cost me about $225.00 and so far its been okay.. keep your fingers crossed...... :mad:
  • Recently I have heard a sort of ticking noise from the wheels when I speed up . Along with that, maybe not related, is that the ABS n brake light come on intermittently. I had someone look at the van and they couldn't find why the ABS lights kept coming on but said my "speed sensor" was bad-that would explain the noise.... should I be taking that in to the dealer immediately for repair????????????????? :confuse: :cry:
This discussion has been closed.