Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• Thanks. You have been a great help. The problem is no more.
    Thanks once again
  • I have the exact same problem? I have to turn the car off after making sure the wipers are in the off position. When I restart the car the wipers stay off until the next time I need to use them. Help!
  • I am having identical problems, The power locks work on the rear sliding doors but not on the front doors, the driver side window no longer works, the rear power vent windows stopped working for the longest but now they work again. Sounds like wires are loose somewhere, need help!
  • Does anyone have trouble w/their '01 van regarding the driver's side window motor dying? I don't have the resources to leave it to the dealer to fix. I have gotten a replacment motor and gotten the door apart, but can't get the motor out...it seems there is a rivet or something holding it in place...I can't get it off without tapping it out? Has anyone done this or have any ideas? Thanks! :cry:
  • Yes, I have a 200 ford windstar. This summer all of a sudden the window would not roll back up after I went to get the mail one day! I took it to a dealer friend of mine and he got it back up but said that I needed a new motor in it. I took it to the dealership and they wanted 1,000 $$ to replace the motor and time (of Course) I went and got another quote from a small repair shop. He fixed it for 200$. Make sure that you check around first. He said that it is from the cold weather and then the rain here in Montana. He also said to allow the window to roll completley down and then back up again when you roll the window down that way the teeth on the motor get used all the way around the thing.
  • When ours did this it was part of the cruise control mechnism.
  • I had that. The lock feed was broken and I had to remove, with the door closed, the door panel from the inside. I then was able to unlock and fix it. Do note that it will require some pressure to jar the door enough to get at some screws. Or search a junkyard and get a panel that matches yours and just cut away.
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    Your welcome fabdul, glad it is fixed.

Rugmankc
  • I had the same problem on the passenger side. Take a drill and drill out the rivets. Use a punch to knock them if you need to. Afterward, invest in a cheap rivet gun and pop in the new motor after putting it in place.
  • I bought this good looking Ford windstar V6 3.8L from a dealer on the condition AS IS.
    Unfortunately I bought the van
    without consulting someone else (expert) because the price was so attractive. The only obvious things I noticed that were wrong was that the ABS
    light and the brake lights were on. ANY suggestions ?
    I thought I could have it fixed by a local repair shop. The brakes were actually working fine and the tranny was shifting smooth.
    Few days after we got the van, it started stalling on the road for no apparent reason, specially after a stop or a traffic light (low rpms?).

I brought it to a local repair shop for complete diagnostic. I was informed that a brake valve (available only at the dealer), a tune-up with new wireset, a new drivebelt and a new air filter would take care of the problems. Estimated cost: ~$700.
    Obviously, I only paid for the diagnostic (~$86) and decided to take care of it myself using a Haynes manual. I bought some tools and the parts (except for the brake valve) and within a day, following the instructions in the manual, I completed the work (saving over $400).

While exploring the engine, here is what I discovered:
    The coolant had a strange color (dirty?) and seemed contaminated and the engine oil seemed to have lost its viscoity (I changed the oil recently!) and appear black. However, I have not noticed a drop in the level of the coolant tank since I bought the car. What could the problem be?

Someone told me that they might have put a stop leak in the coolant just so that they could sell it and maybe there is this "famous headgasket problem" with the car (I am nervous about this). Is there a way to easily find out if that is the case, specially for a novice like me? Does anyone know of the least expensive way to replace them if that is the case? Are there recall on the 1998? I read the recall on the 1995. I can not find any apparent leak from the exhaust.

Also the other day, the oil pressure light started flickering but then dissappeared.

If you have any suggestions or ideas or have experienced such problems (as minor as it might seem to be), PLEASE do not hesitate to reply.

Your help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  • smannsmann Posts: 1
    My husband bought me an 01 windstar for my birthday, and I was so excited. The other day we noticed the paint is peeling off of the roof of the van. I called the company, and they said it is not covered. I have never heard of a cars paint peeling in 4 years. Anyone else haveing this problem, I would love to hear about it.
  • First, the radio started shorting in and out. Next, the lock on the driver side sliding door stopped unlocking (you have to push the unlock button 4 times). Next, the heater stopped working (it blows air, but it is cold). Then the automatic sliding door woouldn't open or close when the key is in the ignition. And, the speedometer and odometer are not working. And, there is an ABS light on. Has my van suddenly become possessed? What in the world is wrong with it????
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    Check for a brake fluid leak from bottom of your master cylinder.
  • We recently bought a ford windstar minivan v6 3.8l.
    I did a tune-up (based on Haynes and hints from other forumists) and change couple things such as the air filter and / the drivebelt.
    While exploring the engine, here is what I discovered:
    The coolant had a strange color (dirty?) and seemed contaminated and the engine oil seemed to have lost its viscoity (I changed the oil recently!) and appear black. However, I have not noticed a drop in the level of the coolant tank since I bought the car. What could the problem be?

Someone told me that they might have put a stop leak in the coolant just so that they could sell it and maybe there is this "famous headgasket problem" with the car (I am nervous about this). Does anyone know of the least expensive way to replace them if that is the case? Are there TSB on the 1998? I now know that there was recall on the 1995. I can not find any apparent leak from the exhaust. What could be hap :confuse: pening?

Also the other day, the oil pressure light started flickering but then dissappeared.
  • Dear Sir;
    Hey I own a 2002 ford windstar lx my power steering moans and whines been replaced, rack pinion replaced strut mount plates replaced power steering pressure switch replaced high pressure power steering line replaced pump pressure checked ran at 1475 lbs. 295 degrees showed to be fine. Power steering still moans especially in cold weather. I have no clue I think it is a defect somewhere probably in the rack,pinion.Oh by the way mine has stiff hard steering especially in cold weather does yours also mine goes from easy steering to stiff steering does yours give me a answer thanks.
  • We have the same problem! I have had the power steering pump replaced. It was good for 12,000 miles now the noise is back when we have been driving for a while. I have had one mechanic say I should replace the rack and two others say that is not necessary. I am hesitant to do anything b/c it does not seem that after everything you did it made a difference. My other friends van, same as ours, is doing the same thing. Ford told her it is normal that Windstars are notorious for loud power steering. Right! So loud you can hear it above the radio? I am tempted to drive it until it goes.
  • I checked the power streering fluid and it was a blackish color and was hoping someone could help me with this. I thought the fluid was supposed be a light color. Any help would be grateful.
  • Will someone PLEASE tell me what each warning light represents? :confuse: I can't seem to find any descriptions on these lights. I have 2002 Windstar SE. And A yellow light has just came on with a yellow exclamation point!
    Thanks for your help!
  • Traded in the 1996 windstar GL today. I feel like a big weight has been lifted.

Martin Luthor King said it best: "Free at last..free at last...thank God almighty, I'm free at last!!!"
  • Ckriley in response to your question on code po171. We changed the PVC valve and the air filter which eliminated po171 . Code po174 is still on. We have checked the vacume lines they look good, we did a tune up even though the van ran great the orginal wires were on (140000). Our defrost vents are the only ones that work and the back vent that blows hot air not cold. If anyone has hints for us we would be glad to hear them.
This discussion has been closed.