Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• rhartrhart Posts: 1
    Does anybody know what Code 1518 refers to on a 2001 Ford Windstar?
  • Hi there!

I am new to the forum, and came hoping to get some answers. In answer to your question, YES your van is possessed! Seems both our van are possessed with the same ghost! My toubles are exactly the same as yours. My trouble started last summer and I have had the recurring problem now 4 times in the passed 6 months. In all honesty, I don't think the Ford Quality care folks have any real idea what is going on...We lost our speedometer, odometer, A/C, power doors, trac control, back-up sensors and a few more things I can't recall in the list. If you find the culprit, please let me know!
    Thanks and good luck! :D
  • Here I am replying to myself. :) As with all of us I am so frustrated with my $32K vehicle that I could scream. :mad: But I do have a sense that I have accomplished something very worthwhile tonight. I bet my van too is leaking brake fluid onto the wires and shorting them out. The first issue was the cruise control sensor and that was replaced. I doubt that this event would show up on regular diagnostics. It's not a computer/technical problem, it's a mechanical problem. I will send my mechanic searching for a leaky master cylinder tomorrow. Can you imagine a 30-something woman getting all this info and sending the men to do the work, hopefully correctly this time?

Gentlemen on this forum, "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!" I will sleep so much better tonight as I believe I have solved this 6 month long mystery! :D
    Good night and Blessings!
    CharlieWin
  • Try checking the power steering fluid. This same thing happened to me and I put some power steering treatment/conditioner in and the noise went away.
  • The tire reset button is to reset the ABS monitoring system. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and then when you can drive several miles at a constant speed (such as on the highway) press and hold the tire reset button until the light on the dash flashes (I think three times). The light should then go out. If your tires lose pressure after that, the light should come on to warn you. I hope this helps.
  • That would be
    "intake manifold control runner malfunction (stuck open)"
  • Is there a cabin air filter in the 2001 Windstar? If so, can anyone share the instructions on changing it?
    Thanks
  • Open the hood. It is under a long rectangular cover by the windshield wipers.
  • I have 2001 Windstar with 62,000 miles. I have been reading many accounts of stalls after starts and around turns, mine however will stall at 40 or even 50 miles per hour. While driving down the road the van will die. If I take my foot off the gas it will idle usually long enough to get to the side of the road. If I try to give it any gas the engine stalls out. I have been to Ford, the dealer said I needed a new intake manifold and a tune up. $1700 dollars later and the van stalled on the first day back. Second time to the shop the dealer said it was the throttle arm sticking. They fixed it and $171 later the van stalled after having it back two days. Took it back and the dealer drove it for the weekend trying to recreate the stall and can not. There are no codes and the dealer can't figure out the problem. Any suggestions? HELP!!!
  • You are lucky. My mechanic said the part for our ford windstar manifold problems would be $400. Labor would be to much to imagine. What was the other website that you saw the tsb on? Did anyone ever help you with the warranty? We got rid of our Mercury because of a manifold problem. Now I find out we are in a new club. Ford help us all. Thanks
  • That's one of the problems with my Windstar, but right now it's sitting in the garage because it continues to cut off. It appears that it's not getting enough gas, but when we went to remove the fuel filter there are three pipe lines that are preventing the removal. Does anyone know how to remove and replace a fuel filter on a 1997 Ford Windstar? Thanks in advance! :confuse:
  • I have a 2002 Windstar that has basically the same problem. But it wont die when it is going at higher rates of speed.... our problem was the "idle air bypass valve". All I know is that this has something to do with the fuel injection system. Might want to check that out!
  • try looking at the idle pully bearing.ours just seized and blew the snake belt.We thought it was the power steering pump..making all the noise before hand,and in fact had a mech tell us it was ..saved some money... avoiding the repair shop.buy a Haynes manual if you own a used car i.e Ford,and don`t assume the worst .repair shops will rob you quite happily with false assumpions as to repairs needed.
  • Same problem w/ our 1996 windstar.. stalled on hyway @50mph found that the fuel pump will sometimes shut down if pushed hard or braking hard at turn offs ect ...solution reset button in the rear interior jack storage area or wait an hour or so.Ford had installed too many sensors in the windstar..trouble light will come on for the simplest of problems..take off one battery lead to reset..if light remains on a problem may be present..avoid repair shops it will cost you big $$$$$$.use logic...change fluids regular look and listen get a haynes manual of your car..learn how to not get burned a the repair shop..they have no time to repair parts..they prefer to replace at your expense..
  • jvsjvs Posts: 1
    Mine has exact problem-but is 2003 Windstar....my feet are freezing, but windshield clear.....Have you figured it out yet?
  • My 2000 Windstar LX is in the shop for leaky everything. I have four different leaks, apparently started at the same time (?). One of them in from the manifold, another from the thermostat, and I can't remember the other two. My van has been in the shop for three days so far. To date, I've had to get new power steering box, transmission, driveline, windshield, and something to do with the car getting fuel by itself. It could have drove by itself. Have you had problems like this? I'm almost considering looking at the requirements for the "Lemon Law." Marci :sick: :confuse: :cry: :mad:
  • Just traded the pig in for a Sienna. :)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    No actually our 1997 was pretty free of significant problems until this. I was a little bothered by some re-welding of the subframe that they had to do just after the warranty expired. That was only about $120 at a body shop. The only other repairs were a couple leaky parts on the transmission...what is it with Ford and gaskets. Oh and I just had to replace the alterntor.

I keep records of maintenance and repairs for each of our vehicles. In 95,000 miles we have only spent a total of about $2200 on all maintenance and repairs on the Windstar.

Because of that, I would not even really be bothered much by the current leaky gasket problems, if they could be replaced without needing such a huge amount of labor. The charge must be like 16 hours of labor for my problem.
  • I have the same problem and the local Ford dealer has had this van in 4 times. I have never been billed and the problem has never be repaired. After the shop works on it, the problem goes away for about 2-3 weeks and then recurs. I can jump the van immediately and it will run but then after shutting it off and when trying to restart it, it acts like a dead short but no one has found it...Can you help? Did you get your problem with the draining battery solved? How did you do it?
  • from what i learned your better off without the original transmission.
This discussion has been closed.