Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• Reading your post is so therapeutic for me. I have had the engine rebuilt twice and the transmission rebuilt 3 times during the 145K miles I have owned my 95 Windstar. The door close sensors, the rattles, etc, too. I read all these posts and feel much better. We are shopping for an Odysessy.
  • prontopronto Posts: 1
    99 windstar have the same problem. Wife is making me crazy about it. Somebody help!
  • diggerdigger Posts: 3
    My 95 Windstar is now approaching 185k. Still has the original engine and transmission. Yes there are a number of rattles, the passenger side power window won't move, and it is slowly leaking coolant. Yes I had the head gasket replaced at 60k. Plus my wife almost totaled the car less then a year after we bought it. I'll let you know when I hit 200k.
  • Just bought a 2001 Windstar 3 months ago. Time to change the oil for the first time for me in this thing. Howvever, I was unable to get the drain plug out and ended up stripping it. Do you know of anything I can use to get this job done.
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    2000 SEL 75K miles

The cruise control has stopped working.

The fuse in okay, other systems that are using that fuse are still working.

Any thoughts?
  • After reading all the postings related to windstars I think I maybe better off getting rid of my 98 3.8 liter windstar. But first, I do have a question concerning a repair estimate I was given. My windstar "check engine light" came on and when I took it to the shop they informed me that codes p0171 "bank one 02 sensor", p0174 "Bank two o2 sensor" and P1127 "Rear 02 sensor" were all stored in the computer. The shop suggested the following repairs....replace all 4 O2 sensors, plugs, wires, fuel filter, and T.B.I. service....all for the small some of $1,447 plus tax. Q1..is this reasonable? Q2..My husband is pretty good at fixing things..but I'm a almost afraid to let him work on it...is this something that should be fixed by a certified technician? My van runs fine right now...should I even worry about it until I start to have problems? I read some of the other postings and these codes seem to be a common theme...Any advice would be greatly appreciated..rebecca
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Q1: No, that's ridiculous. I wpouldn't pay half that price for those services mentioned
    Q2: If you're husband doesn't have experience with modern cars and about $500 worth of diagnostic equipment, no.

You need to run from that shop and never return. Not only are they overcharging you, they clearly have no idea what they're doing. Those codes on a Windstar are almost never the fault of the O2 sensors. Below is a bit from MotorAge summing up basically the problems you're most likely looking at. My advice is to take it to a good local Ford dealer for this problem, you most likely need a lot of small parts on top that engine replaced.

"Ford: 1999-2003 Windstar with 3.8L engine
    MIL illumination with DTC P0171/ P0174 indicates a lean running condition. There are several possible reasons for the codes. Problems with the intake manifold gaskets and/or with the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator can cause a vacuum leaks and improper fuel pressure. Oil leaking from the old-style left side valve cover can contribute to both problems. The bulletin lists several possible fixes for these problems, along with PCM calibrations, part numbers and an illustration for identifying the valve cover.
    Bulletin 03-16-1"
  • I thought so. I didn't let them do any work on the car. I'll check with a local ford dealer. It maybe time to trade. Thanks for your help..rebecca
  • We have a '99 LX with 46K. Decided to take a weekend trip to DC (we live in Richmond, VA). Van is fine on the highway, but as soon as we made it into the city and slowed down, engine starts smoking and the smell of burnt tranny fluid fills the air. We are on the side of the road, in DC, (in not the greatest of neighborhoods) with two kids in the car. Fortunately a National Park Service officer stopped and called a tow for us. We are stranded 90 miles from home, on a weekend, no less, when hardly any repair shops are open.

Next morning, the AAMCO (only place we could find)guy tells us 2250 for rebuilt tranny.

We decided to bite the bullet and fix the thing. UGH! I hate Ford. I guess it was too much to ask to have our family hauler's tranny last more than 46K. Needless to say, we are ditching this thing and buying a Toyota Highlander ASAP!
    Don't blame you. $2250 isn't a bad price for that transmission rebuilt.
    I like your name, by the way..."Neeeeiiigh! Snort!"
    :)
  • I have just bought a 99 windstar LX 83k miles and the front blowers will not blow heat and it makes a clicking noise. What is going on? Of course all the dealers want you to bring it in and tell you after they charge a bunch of $$$. My husband can fix anything but just needs some help of what this could be since we have been searching what this is from. The back heater and air all over works just not HEAT in the front. Any help or suggestions?????
    Probably the blend door assembly has failed. It's up inside the dashboard and it's many hours of labor to remove and install.
  • haulthault Posts: 124
    Dasher when my drain plug stripped it was the plug only not the threads on the oil pan. I just bought a new plug. Also WIJOCO did FORD ever change the valve cover issue ? When ?
  • Engine Dead at 82,338. Minimum of $1600 to repair. Head Gaskets are suppose to last the life of the car.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Not on 3.8's.
  • I have a '99 Windstar with 74K miles, transmission shudders from first-second, especially from standing start. Can I live with this, it this the beginning of the end, should I dump it now? Any ideas?
    Could be a torque converter problem, a hangup in the valve body, anything. Has the fluid been changed regularly? If not I would head to the Ford dealer and pony up the $150 for a full flush and replacement. Ford automatic transaxles have to be maintained religiously. I say go to the Ford dealer because so many quick-lube places are careless and will use the wrong fluid.
    If the O/D light has ever lit you will have a code stored for a transmission fault that the dealer can retrieve.
  • Thanks for the info. Firestone did a trans service about 10K miles ago, had one done every 20K or so. I'm bringing it into the Ford dealer today...and will brace for the bad news.
  • If its a '95 Windstar, you might be able to get some relief -- I think Ford did a program for those. If its a '96, you're out of luck -- Ford's policy on the '96 is to pretend there wasn't a problem.
  • Well, the Ford dealer visit was a waste. $185 for "diagnostic services" that meant dropping the pan and looking at the fluid (it was clean). They wanted an extra $1200 to "diagnose further"..and then they'd come up with an estimate for repairs. My extended warranty only covers repairs, not diagnosis, they didn't seem to understand that. So I took the piece of junk home. Oh well.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    My 95s lasted 48K, my 00s only till 38k.Fortunately I do learn from experience and had the ext warranty for the 00, scary but the service manager said the first replacement they tried to put in to replace the bust one on the 00, "didn't fit" and they had to get a 2nd one!!
    Don't ask why I got a 00 when I had the tranny and engine gasket problem on the 95, its a sore point!
  • I have a '99 windstar. The rear blower works fine, but it isn't blowing out heat. Any suggestions on where to start?
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Are you checking the overhead vents? They're not supposed to blow hot air, only cold. Hot air comes from one single vent at the bottom, right near the left side sliding door I think.
  • My '99 is in the shop as I type! Guess what for? The clicking noise that my A/C/heating system is making. Had the tranny replaced at 68,000, just in July. Will never and I mean never own another Ford again!!!
  • I am checking the vent at the bottom. It is just blowing cold air even though the rear settings are on full heat.
  • ford6ford6 Posts: 2
    Merry Christmas from Ford..just spent Christmas bonus at Ford dealership to replace REAR main seal(and other assorted items)on 2001 Windstar LX..52,000 miles. At 28,000 miles FRONT main had to be replaced(under warranty of course).

I have read and didn't see any problems with these. I am going to have to "attempt" to get some $$ back on this..any ideas on who to contact?

OH btw after reading all these posts I think I'm afraid to drive it!!!!!!!!!!
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Afraid to drive it? Well, I just returned my '02 Windstar (lease end) without any major problems. There was a few minor things, and even some "check engine" stuff, but everything was repaired within hours under warranty.

BTW, how could it be that you still have your warranty on an '01 model? Isn't it for just 36 months? Do you have an extended warranty?
  • ford6ford6 Posts: 2
    I don't have it under warranty..the FIRST Front Main was under warranty at 28000.

Yeah..lol..after reading all these problems with them I'm wondering what's going to go next!!!
  • Check Engine light on my 2000 Windstar.

DTC code P0135 and code 1130

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    P0135 = O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1131 = Lack Of HO2S Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean

Make sure the rear upstream O2 sensor harness isn't unplugged or melted to the exhaust manifold
This discussion has been closed.