Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• jay238jay238 Posts: 13
    The steering wheel on my 95 vibrates a little while turning the wheels at a stop, but more noticeable is a whining/growling noise while doing it. Most likely, that is my power steering pump that is about to die.........ahh well i'll just keep on driving until it gets unbearable or fails.
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Ford steering pumps are notoriously noisy. But that's more of an annoyance than a real problem. Just keep an eye on your fluid levels and you're probably OK
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    The clunk in the tranny I figured was probably fairly normal, but an annoyance. The growl in the power steering pump does concern me. I've never had one make that noise before. It's a completely different setup, but the Superduties have had some problems with their PS pumps going out. They all made a growling noise prior to kicking the bucket.

Oh well, I guess that's what extended warranties are for.
  • dlarkinsdlarkins Posts: 2
    I have had the same blinking light problem in my van. After many attempts at repair, I have given up. The dealership could never figure it out. As for the leaky intake gasket, replacing it made a huge difference in the pinging and poor acceleration. Of course, it took the dealership 3 attempts to finally diagnose the problem. Currently my van in in the shop having the front struts and the transmission replaced. Thank goodness for the Ford EXP warranty...it has more than paid for itself. Tie rods have been replaced twice( gee ya think bad struts had anything to do with that?)rack has been replaced , tranny has been rebuilt twice (finally being replaced), a/c switches have been replaced(took care of the rear air coming on mysteriously)rear wiper has been replaced(kept falling off), the main light control has been replaced(took care of the headlights going off at inopportune times), the power steering pump has been replaced twice and the air intake valve controller has been replaced. All of this on a vehicle with less than 75K miles at 4 years...WOW...think next vehicle will be Japanese...I've had it with American made cars and the manufacturers refusal to own up to problems!!!
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Posts: 461
    Yes, you have have more than your share of problems. I think that your dealership is your biggest problem. For a dealership to give up when they can't solve/fix a problem is unacceptable and this should have been taken up with Ford at the highest levels. A bad dealer will only create more problem than they can solve. Good Luck.
  • ramouramou Posts: 84
    Sorry to hear about your (( Windstar problems, I have a 99 LX with 68K miles, I must agree with Justforfun2, I said the same thing he said before I even read his post which is that I think that your biggest problem is the dealer you're taking it to, there's no reason why a Transmission should be rebuilt twice then replaced on a car that has less than 75K miles on it, that's rediculous, they either never even opened the transmission in the first 2 times or they're just ripping you off, and I think most people on this post will agree with me, also your power steering pump was replaced twice....something is not right, you're definetly having electrical problems of some sort and unless they're effecting your mechanical parts then I don't know what to tell you, keep us posted and maybe try another dealer.Good luck
    just wanted to remind everyone with not to forget the schedule maintenance stuff, it's extreemly important for that engine, such as Transmission service (DON'T FLUSH THE RADIATOR COMPLETELY, JUST CHANGE THE FLUID IN THE PAN AND THE FILTER), radiator and engine block flush, PCV valve, belts and hoses, air filter, fuel filter. refer to your owner manual for additional stuff.ALSO READ MY PRIOR POST ABOUT RE-PROGRAMMING THE TRANSMISION.
  • mted23mted23 Posts: 16
    After reading several posts here and trying higher octane gas, fuel injector cleaner etc I had the computer reprogramed yesterday. Funny thing is the ping may be worse than before the reprogram. I guess now we look at the intake gasket? Any other suggestions?
  • tylerapextylerapex Posts: 14
    I had a 2000 SE and just traded in....I couldn't take the problems anymore. I've had to have the speed sensor on the transmission replaced, the fuel pump replaced (because the gas gauge broke), the idle valve replaced (van kept stalling with idle), power door lock on driver's side randomly worked (never did fix that), and the pinging problem you mentioned. I took it to the dealer for the pinging problem and they were able to use the OBD-II computer to diagnose the problem. They said the intake gasket needed to be replaced and wanted over $500 to do it. I did find a Quality Care authorized Ford Service Center NOT associated with a dealer in my area that does work for much cheaper so I'd try to find one of those. I never got it replaced so I can't tell if that actually fixed the problem or not. Sorry.
  • tmanttmant Posts: 70
    I've disconnected the battery to reprogram my transmission but it never seemed to work.

Just to clarify, does the Windstar have 4 or 5 gears? (I have 2000 SE) I always thought it was 5 gears (including overdrive), but I'm starting to think it is 4 gears. And that the 3rd to 4th shift that I think I'm seeing is something with the differential locking and unlocking.

I say this because I now have a 4 speed automatic Elantra GT that does this. The shift from 3rd into 3.5 changes the RPMs just slighty, then another shift into the real 4th gear. I know the Elantra is only 4 gears including the overdrive gear (being the 4th gear itself). I just thought the Windstar was 4 gears plus a 5th overdrive gear.
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    It is a four speed, overdrive is the fourth gear. The "shift" you feel between third and fourth gear is the torque convertor lock up.
    What is it that you're trying to program? I've posted last week about this. The programming is simply the Transmission memorizing the driver's driving habits and adjusting to it. If you've been driving the van for a while before disconnecting the battery then you're not going to notice any difference because your driving habits are the same and they've been memorized. It's not going to shift any different that you would notice but it simply adjusts to your foot pressure and movement on the gas pedal so the transmission can adjust it's shifting. it takes a few hundred miles for the tranny to memorizes your driving habits sort of like it has to memorize a pattern. that's difficult to do if you and someone else drive the van. make sure all electronics are off before you do this and just drive the van as you would normal. Disconnect the battery for 60 seconds, reconnect it, start it up and let it run for 60 seconds, then drive the car.If you never disconnect the battery, the transmission would still adjust to your driving habits but it takes longer, so it's easier just to disconnect the battery if you just bought a used van so you can start with a fresh memory.
    I have an Windstar but this is a Non-Windstar question. my sister has a 95 Chrysler Lebaron with the 3.0 V6 engine. The transmission oil was changed twice in the past 4 month but it keeps turning black. Does anyone know what's causing it to turn black?
  • akishakish Posts: 1
    I'm looking for copies of the above mentioned TSB's for 1995 Ford Windstar. Please email to andrew.kish@exxonmobil.com or post and let me know that you have it. Thanks,

Andy Kish
  • e350v10e350v10 Posts: 92
    We have a 2000 SEL. When the A/C has been running for awhile, the cabin starts to smell like exhaust. The dealer caulked some seams (Ford's recommendation) but there was no effect.

I suspect that the smell is coming into the cabin from the rear compressor. It is very pungent and may have something to do with the catalytic converter on very hot (100+) days.

The automatic doors also fail on hot days, and there is a large “clunk” when shifting from R to D. I have been told these problems are endemic to the Windstar.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
  • I wrote last month that my 2002 Ford Windstar gas mileage was going down. I bought it in March and it was getting 15.8, the dealer told me it would get 22. It has been getting worse the past few weeks and its down to 11.5. I took it in and had the oil changed, replace the air filter and had the brakes checked, they were just fine. Any suggestions?
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Sorry, but our guesses would be just that: guesswork. There are a hundred things that can cause bad gas mileage. It needs to be diagnosed by a mechanic; it's just not something you can do over the internet. Are there any other symptoms that have gone along with the bad MPG?
  • When I wrote the first time the host said that low tires can effect the mileage. We checked the air pressure and it was 32, which is the norm for all our other cars for that size of tire. but when we looked closely at the tire it said 44psi so we raised it to 40 last night. Now its just wait and see. It runs real smooth, no other problems.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,923
    The number stamped on the sidewalls is the maximum pressure that the tire maker says is allowable.

The car manufacturer makes its own recommendation and tries to balance safety, handling, economy etc. The recommended pressure will be on a placard that's usually in your glove box or on the A pillar.

I don't recommend deviating a whole lot from Ford's recommended pressure, the Explorer fiasco notwithstanding.

More fuel economy tips here.

Steve, Host
  • In reply to the post "is there ANYONE with a 1995 windstar that they are happy with or have had minimal repairs? Not ALL of them were doomed for failure, right? i bought a new 1995 and the only thing done to it was the head gasket recall -no other repairs. tons of city driving and lots of cargo hauling and people around the country, now with 176,000 miles and runs really well! I'm actually happy with my 1995 Windstar....it's been put too good use!"

I bought a 95 LX in 96 one year old with 20, ooo miles, and had the head gasket redone by the dealer. I loved, .........that's loved, ....past tense, that van and had planned on driving it for about 150,000 miles.....................Always had it serviced, etc, ........at 90,000 miles, ......water pump is going, A/C is gone, had the switch replaced once, ........took three years to find the sensor that was keeping the interior lights on, warning bell ringing, until over 10 miles an hour, head gasket is blown AGAIN, transmission is slipping, .......

I used to bleed ford blue, ............but I'm no longer blue, .......shopping for Honda or toyota.
This discussion has been closed.