Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• glenwglenw Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Windstar SEL which has a bad road noise even at slow speeds. Sounds like a roar possibly caused by tires or bad bearings. Any thoughts?
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    Wheel Bearings, I have been through two sets in 70K.

2000 SEL
  • glenwglenw Posts: 2
    Thanks. thought wheel bearings might be problem. Will go have them checked.
  • filo0405filo0405 Posts: 2
    I have a 98 gl with 141000 miles, just last night, my interior lights would stay lit and my door chime goes off without any reason, also when I bought it, the passenger window and the back driver window didn't roll down, now none of them work!!! Is my van having a computer meltdown? Any suggestions?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Check the battery lately?

Steve, Host
  • filo0405filo0405 Posts: 2
    Battery good, just found out that the light was caused by my "door ajar" switch. A quick fix is spray WD40 on the switch. The window problem was caused by me removing the fuse, no power windows...or wipers, but for now problem ok...just need to get lower ball joint fixed.
  • suchjoysuchjoy Posts: 1
    Has anyone had this problem? When I apply my brakes there is a squeak in the engine compartment/ under the dash. The squeak is driving my crazy. The Ford technician first told me that I needed to replace the booster cylinder, so I did($375.00). No change, maybe worse. The technician then says that I will need to replace the master cylinder. When will this end??? Maybe my wife will have to wear earplugs, especially in heavy traffic where you are braking a lot at slow speeds.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Thanks for the update, Filo.

Sounds like you have a mediocre tech, Suchjoy.

Try asking in Got a Quick, Technical Question? too.

Steve, Host
  • gordon24gordon24 Posts: 1
    hi i am having a problem with my 96 ford windstar 3.8 fuel injected v6.the engine misses sometimes but not all the time .for instance i can be driving along just fine and then it will start to miss.it doesnt do it all the time.the check engine light is on and stays on but flashes on and off.i can pull up to a traffic light and it will be idleing just fine then it will start to miss.after about 30 - 45 seconds it will clear up and run like a brand new one.i dont understand what would cause this to do that.i have replaced the plugs but still no change.i had a diagnostic meter put on it and it says missfire on either # 3 or # 4 cylinder.they said that it had to be either the plug wires or coil pack.but if either of those were bad wouldnt it miss all the time?so if you have any suggestions on what would cause this problem i would greatly appreciate it ......thankyou
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Sounds like a reasonable diagnosis. At that mileage the wires should have been replaced with the plugs.
  • I'm having the same problem, although I'm not sure if it make a difference if I'm turning left or right...When the power steering oil is hot and you turn the wheel it make a whining...forced type sound. Any suggestions? I removed some of the old fluid and replace it...I also removed some old fluid and replaced with some super duper additive which helped marginally. Could it be that the belt needs to be replaced?

toadmantim
  • takbooftakboof Posts: 1
    Hi, I am trading in my 96 Windstar tomorrow morning. I just wanted to respond to your message. Unfortunately, at 87K, my first Intake Manifold Gasket went. I had the same troubles that you mentioned. The only difference, is the computer analysis was pegging #6 spark plug. I went and replaced all, then replaced the wires. After that, I went to the dealer and they replaced the intake manifold gasket. They warranteed the new on up to 100k...needless to say, at 110k, the check engine started to flash...just like before..the second one cost me $800...the first was $1200. Now at 139k...its reared its ugly head again. Trading it in for a new van tomorrow...yes another Windstar...because the crash tests results on a Venture are aweful...don't like Dodge...and am purchasing American.

Just thought I could help. have a great night!
  • mb-s65mb-s65 Posts: 29
    I'm being told that the Rotors/Hubs were updated on windstars manufactured after 8/95 and that if I put new rotors on I have to buy new hubs, at 100 each! Does anyone else have any experience with this, is it true i need to put the new style hubs along with the rotors, or can i just slap the new rotors on the old style hubs.

The van only has 66 k miles.

Also, does anyone know what the factory spec is on cutting the original rotors?

Thanks
  • mossfivemossfive Posts: 4
    I recently had my transmission flushed on my '99 Windstar at my local Ford dealership. This is the service where they do not drop the pan and blow the fluid to take the fluid out. This is supposed to clean the transmission of all debris and also clean the filter out. Since that time, the transmission has been leaking. They replaced the pan gasket yesterday but tonight I noticed fluid in my garage again. I put my van up on ramps and it looks like it is leaking from where the transmission is connected to the engine. Has anyone experienced a leak after having their transmission flushed? I'm going back to get my money back from the gasket tomorrow(hopefully) but will be taking it somewhere else to have it fixed.
  • jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    mossfive- ford dealers wont typically "flush" the ax4s/ax4n transaxles found in our windstars. A normal dealer service for these is to drop the pan, replace the filter (optional) & the ATF lost in the process (about 4qts). It sounds like they may have overpressurized your system during their "flush" process & blew out one of your seals. A good way to service these transaxles is to just pump out what you can thru the dipstick tube, and add fresh ATF. Service them OFTEN if you want them to last.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • mark6mark6 Posts: 1
    Hi guys.
    I have a 1996 Windstar V6/3.8L with 173K km, and I just noticed contaminated coolant with oil, in the coolant reservoir. I have talked to my mechanic, and he said that Ford issued a TSB about this problem back in 1999. I have phoned FORD Canada, and they said this was just an advisory not a recall, and told me to go away. Am I being unreasonable asking Ford to cover the repair of the known problem? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    You're way past the mileage for any assistance from Ford.
    140,000 miles is better than average for most vehicles, why does Ford owe you anything for it now? Pray to the car gods and thank them you got that much out of a Ford 3.8, junk it and move on. It's not worth fixing or replacing the engine. Once it's contaminated, it's cooked.
  • john54john54 Posts: 1
    The air bag light on my 2000 Windstar SEL has started coming on as well at 50,000. Started blinking after 5-10 minutes of driving then stayed on. The dash digital clock lost about two hours on the same day the air bag light started blinking. Clock problem hasn't recurred (yet). Ford dealer suggested it may be due to the battery getting old (it's now 5 years old) and low voltage condition. Apparently they've seen that problem before. It's hard to imagine low voltage happening during alternator operation, but it it may be possible. Last two days it hasn't come on. I plan to buy a new battery soon.
  • I would echo his comments -- you may be about to have a head gasket problem.

I had my expensive'96 Windstar 3.8 liter defective head gasket job that Ford should cover but won't because they don't care about their customers at 86,000 miles. Two years later, I am only at 99,000 and when the check engine light went on recently the mechanic told me I needed a 100,000 mile tuneup. Now the tune up is done, the light came on again and he says the number 4 cylinder is misfiring and may be leaking -- i.e. the gasket is failing again. Moral of the story: Beware of spending money on a tuneup before checking for the infamous gasket problem.
  • laundryguylaundryguy Posts: 89
    Same symptoms at almost 100k, but reset of the radio was also found rather than the clock. Took and had battery test run - battery was shot. Air bag light never came on again. Got 8 years out of original battery - not bad.
This discussion has been closed.