Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    My 95s lasted 48K, my 00s only till 38k.Fortunately I do learn from experience and had the ext warranty for the 00, scary but the service manager said the first replacement they tried to put in to replace the bust one on the 00, "didn't fit" and they had to get a 2nd one!!
    Don't ask why I got a 00 when I had the tranny and engine gasket problem on the 95, its a sore point!
  • I have a '99 windstar. The rear blower works fine, but it isn't blowing out heat. Any suggestions on where to start?
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Are you checking the overhead vents? They're not supposed to blow hot air, only cold. Hot air comes from one single vent at the bottom, right near the left side sliding door I think.
  • My '99 is in the shop as I type! Guess what for? The clicking noise that my A/C/heating system is making. Had the tranny replaced at 68,000, just in July. Will never and I mean never own another Ford again!!!
  • I am checking the vent at the bottom. It is just blowing cold air even though the rear settings are on full heat.
  • ford6ford6 Posts: 2
    Merry Christmas from Ford..just spent Christmas bonus at Ford dealership to replace REAR main seal(and other assorted items)on 2001 Windstar LX..52,000 miles. At 28,000 miles FRONT main had to be replaced(under warranty of course).

I have read and didn't see any problems with these. I am going to have to "attempt" to get some $$ back on this..any ideas on who to contact?

OH btw after reading all these posts I think I'm afraid to drive it!!!!!!!!!!
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Afraid to drive it? Well, I just returned my '02 Windstar (lease end) without any major problems. There was a few minor things, and even some "check engine" stuff, but everything was repaired within hours under warranty.

BTW, how could it be that you still have your warranty on an '01 model? Isn't it for just 36 months? Do you have an extended warranty?
  • ford6ford6 Posts: 2
    I don't have it under warranty..the FIRST Front Main was under warranty at 28000.

Yeah..lol..after reading all these problems with them I'm wondering what's going to go next!!!
  • Check Engine light on my 2000 Windstar.

DTC code P0135 and code 1130

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    P0135 = O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1131 = Lack Of HO2S Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean

Make sure the rear upstream O2 sensor harness isn't unplugged or melted to the exhaust manifold
  • tmwtmw Posts: 1
    The electronic sliding doors on my Windstar are sometimes not closing. I hit the button, it starts to go, gets to the point where it is suppose to close, then they go open again. Also, sometimes when they close, they make a funny noise. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, and you had it fixed was it under warrenty?
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    I had the same problem with my 2000 SEL. It took the dealer a few times to adjust the doors, so they work correctly 99% of the time. On occasion, depending on the slant of the parking surface, the problem will occur. Once the van is level again, there is no problem. Let the dealer fix this problem, you can really make a mess of your door or paint job if you try to do it yourself.
  • The 96 Windstar be gone!

The sealer pellets put in by my mechanic worked and the van was running better than it has in a long time. My wife and I decided to ditch the Windstar while we could still get something for it so we traded it in while everything "appeared" to be working well. The dealership gave us $1,200 for the van not knowing of the head gasket problem and I also started getting a buzzing noise when I activated the right turn signal. I checked it and it was definitely something within the steering column because I could push up the lever without locking it in place and it would work (as long as I held it in place) but once I pushed it into place, it started buzzing and wouldn't work on the exterior. At this time, I'm not happy with having a new car payment but I feel much better when my wife takes my vehicle with the kids.

Good luck with your Windstars! I won't be buying another again.
  • haulthault Posts: 122
    The "diagnostic fee" should be included in the repair price. I would have them fix the problem and only pay the deductible. If you have problems my response is "If I have it repaired by another dealer or transmission shop should I just have the bill sent to your dealership for payment under the warranty and reimburse for the fee since your dealership could not find or fix the problem ?" They usually are more cooperative. The so called "diagnostic fee" is a new way to charge money to chronic complainers and when they can't "verify" a problem. I don't get mad. They are in business to make money. I have been through the diagnostic fee can't verify problem. I just save my receipts and demand a credit on future visits when they "verify" and fix the problem.
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    I don't know what's more amazing-you doing what you did or posting it here. I regret my wasted time trying to help you. I guarantee if you'd bought the van from the dealer and they sold it knowing it had major engine troubles YOU would be screaming bloody murder and threatening lawsuits. Sure, "little guy" good, "big guy" bad. You don't consider that some poor cash-strapped family who can't afford new-car payments will get stuck paying $2200 for that van and then be left with a $2500 engine repair bill a few months down the road. Or you did consider and didnt care. My only consolation is that in my experience people who trade in wrecks usually get stuck with another lemon. I call it "carma." Good luck indeed, mikejojo!!!
  • I have a 1996 windstar and the interior lights won't go out. I have taken the fuse out so the battery won't die on me. Does anyone have any idea why they stay on? Help
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The door switches are integral with the latches, and the grease in them gets hard over time. Try spraying a liberal amount of WD40 or equivalent into the latches to soften the grease.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    Out of town and in laws 00 WS had check engine light come on and stay on. She took it in to dealer, we have ext warranty and they fixed it. But what does this all mean (ok so I could wait till tomorrow and call them but I trust the people here more!)

" CEL is on - performed EEC test (???) with WDS retrieved codes P0171 and P0174. bank 1 and 2 lean . performed pinpoint test (whats that??) and found intake gaskets leaking.

replaced intake gaskets and valve cover with updated style. Recalibrated PCM to latest calibration.

is this the same gasket problem that the infamous 95s had???

is it time to dump this thing, only 56K miles and had new tranny at 38 already!

is having my oil analyzed a good idea in the near future to be sure coolant etc is not getting into the engine or vice versa???
  • Thanks for the advice. I called a transmission (national chain) that advertised free diagnosis and acceptance of extended warrantees. The told me a rebuilt transmission, if needed, was only a few hundred more than the Ford dealer wanted to "diagnose" the problem. I guess you are right, it was the dealer's way of telling me to go away...although I never complained to them and have had over $6000 of paid repairs (thanks warranty co.) done at their shop on this one Windstar.
  • Did you get any help with this...I'm having the same problem and would like some suggestions.

tlkarsch@sbccom.apgea.army.mil
This discussion has been closed.