Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• mlpntrmlpntr Posts: 61
    I'm still searching for answers. It's possibley a bad or dirty fuel injector. Do you have gas in your oil? How about your exhaust?
  • jimihiljimihil Posts: 1
    I've had this problem- I believe I've fixed the problem- it was the spring loaded switches on the sliding door. The springs collapsed, and the switches were not making contact with the fixed contact point on the door jamb. I drilled out the rivits that attach the switch to the door and tried to repair the springs- replaced the rivits and the lights are now turning off when they're supposed to. The door ajar light also goes off when the sliding door is closed. good luck
  • stwstw Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that.
  • more info ... back latch is not locked, front latch is, but door won't close all the way or open/budge from it's current position. I have most of the inside panel taken off. Any ideas on what I should do next?
  • rydenryden Posts: 1
    Tried to start 1999 SEL this morning, no go. Took out key, headlights/radio still on, heater fan on. Opened and closed door. Turned light switch to "off" position, all heater controls off; headlights/radio still on, heater fan still on. Disconnected battery, waited 15 minutes. Hooked up battery, lights/radio on, heater fan on, won't turn over. Help!! Replaced EGR valve this weekend, but ran fine for 2 days.
  • ptownbptownb Posts: 1
    Yesterday night as I was leaving my girlfriends house I started my car (which is a FW '96) and white smoke came out of the hood as if something was burning. I turned off the car immediately and opened the hoodm I inspected as much as I could and tried to dismiss it. Then I turned the car on and it ran fine until i tried to reverse and the steering wheel was EXTREMELY hard to turn in either direction, I'm a strong guy and I couldn't get the steering wheel to turn... then I tried doing the same thing in Drive... and once again it would not turn... can someone please give me some insight as to what the problem may be.. any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank You.
  • An offhand guess would be the power steering pump may have locked up causing the belt to smoke.
    Just recently got rid of a 1999 windstar (purchased new, driven easy) with a long list of major problems than one could imagine, all just after the warrentee period. The car was assembled properly, and was very nice for the first 38K, then the heaterbox air door broke, then the transmission blew, then the cruise control quit, the interior lights started flashing on and off (not a door problem-the dash light wasn't comming on), engine stalling and rough idle due to a bad air servo, the radio scan stopped working, leaking fuel injectors causing the emmissions light to come on and causing hard starting, leaking brake fluid from a defective sensor, bad ball joints and growling power steering. At 53K, yes only 53,000, I'd totally had it with this peice of junk and drove it straight to the Chevy dealership and traded it in. (no way could I sell it on the open market with a clean conscience like I usually do). There used to be 5 Ford mini-vans on our street, including ours, and now there are none. Everybody had engine and drivetrain issues with these things. Stay away from the Ford Junkstars!
    Now you tell me........... 3 trans rebuilds and an engine rebuild later. 3rd tranny rebuild was done with custom (non ford) parts so it should last for more than 20k.
  • josephm4josephm4 Posts: 3
    Another 1999 windstar problem, fuel too lean bank 1 and bank 2. This problem is intermittent engine light comes on approx. every 200 miles or once per week. Runs good execpt for the noise in the tank which is also intermittent in idle.
    MAF sensor. It's fairly cheap and so easy to change. Chekc out Fords TSB for it.
    I still have not figured out what's wrong with mine. I'm about to take it in for diagnostics. :lemon:
  • nlynnnlynn Posts: 3
    I BOUGHT MY WINDSTAR THREE YEARS AGO , AND HAVE HAD NO UNUSIAL PROBLEMS , UNTILL CT. EMISSIONS TEST..... WHAT A JOKE , MY CHECK ENGINE LITE WAS OFF AND I FAILED THE TEST... IT COST ME SO FAR , NEW PLUGS , THE PRICE OF TWO EXPERTS TO TELL ME WHAT THE PROBLEM (COULD) BE AND THE LIGHT IS NOW ON..... ALL THE TIME, AND STILL WON'T PASS , I NOW HAVE A NEW POWER STEARING HOSE...$360.00 MORE FROM A FORD DEALER WHO AGAIN WANTED TO CHARGE ME ANOTHER $85.OO TO PUT THIS ON HIS COMPUTER. TODAY I INSTALLED ANEW IMISSIONS CONNECTOR AND A PVC VALVE...$18.00 AND THE LIGHT IS STILL ON ! HELP. HELP HELP COULD THE HEAD GASKET COUSE THIS ? SHOULD I REPLACE IT? THE COST AGAIN $300-350 RHIS THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH MY CAR.. MY WINDSTAR HAS BEEN GOOD, UNTILL THIS. NLYNN
    Power stearing hose would not cause emissions failure. You need to have diagnostics done to get the codes. If you have an autozone near you take it there and they hook it up for free. Then let me know what the codes are. Also the year of the van would be helpful. I don't think the head gasket would cause this.
    THANKS , I'LL GET BACK TO YOU WITH THE CODES .
    NLYNN
    tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP I'LL TRY
    NLYNN
  • I have a 99 windstar 120000 k mi, transmission rebuild at 115000, few months ago. Problem persists, soon as trans warms up, it jumps out of overdrive. Specially when going on a slightly uphill like an overpass. Installed a trans cooler, no difference. Trans people said it is a computor problem, dealer say it is not. PCM does not have to be reflashed.
    Drives fine in the city except for engine light now and then due to lean bank one or two.
    Still leaking trans fluid too since last attempt of shop. cycling this week to work.
    Andy idea's???
    Thanks
    Kees.
    How long is the warranty on the trans rebuild and who did it? Was it done with Ford parts or custom? I had mine rebuilt in February for the 3rd time at 135,000 and had them do it with the custom parts. It started leaking within a month and they replaced the front seal. It does seem to be slipping at times so I will probably have to go back in with it. I had other issues (misfire on cylinder #2)that turned out to be a bad fuel injector and a bad computer. Tranny guy said I needed to get them fixed before they could road test it for the trans.
    Lean bank 1 and 2 is usually a bad MAF sensor and very easy for even a woman with no car knowledge to replace.
    Had diagnostics done and they told me I had a misfire on cylinder #2. Uuummm didn't I already know that? They replaced the injector on that cylinder because it did have high resistance and then realized the computer was bad. So it was replaced and the van runs great again. I still think there may be a tranny issue that will be covered under warranty.
    And for all you great people out there.... I am a 32 year old single mom. I have male friends that come to me for car advice. I was fed up with paying mechanics to take advantage of me and decided to empower myself. With reading and research you can learn just about anything. With a manual you can usually firgure the rest out.
    With that said, go for 2nd and 3rd opinions before you pay someone to fix it. Do the research and se what the other options are and how much someone else is charging for the same job. Don't be taken for a ride by Ford unless you're test driving a new vehicle. If that's the case I suggest you swing by the Chevy dealer.
  • I'm trying to install a coil pack for my '96 but I can't find where the coils are located. Can anyone help?
    Do you see the spark plug wires? They attach to the spark plugs on one end and then all meet and plug right into the coil pack.
  • Thanks for the help! It doesn't look like fun trying to get to though.
    If it's the same setup as my 95 it's not too bad. It's just 4 screws. You will need to disconnect the wires and label them according to position because you will need to put them back exactly how they were before. Unscrew the 4 screws and lift up on the coil pack. Insert the new one and screw those same screws back in and then reconnect the wires. I have the manual here if you want me to scan the directions and diagrams and email them to you just send me your email address. I will need to know your engine size, though.
  • So, did the noise completely go away? Or do you need to replace the AC clutch? Do you think you'll need to in the near future? We have this loud, metal-to-metal grinding sound, but not exactly sure what it is.
  • Super easy to do. Get a Haynes manual from your local auto parts store. It will show you how to get the door panel off. Once thats done you only have 3 plastic nuts to take off to get the mirror off. Replace with the new one and screw back on. Install the door panel the reverse of how you took it off. It shouldn't take more that 30 minutes from start to finish. Good luck. :)
  • dnspauldnspaul Posts: 3
    I just got a 1999 for windstar and the check engine light came on and it is the O2 sensors, I haven't changed them yet, but today my husband was turned a corner and hit the gas real hard the van jerked and then just wouldn't go, we pulled over and it wouldn't go into drive or reverse or anything. Don't know if he blew the tranny or not cause there were no signs of it going out or slipping or anything. Can the O2 sensor cause this.
  • zauggerzaugger Posts: 2
    Hey folks. I have a '95 Windstar, and my car has recently begun revving uncontrollably when I am stopped or going slowly. It'll go from 500RPM to 2000 and back down. If my foot isn't crammed on the brake I jump...hit a lady's bumper last week and it cost me $1000. ANyone have an idea what that is? I took it in to a service shop, and their aftermarket computer readout couldn't pinpoint it, except to say that the motor WAS receiving messages from the computer to rev the engine. Hmmm...
    Possibly a bad computer.
  • zauggerzaugger Posts: 2
    How much does a new computer run? This vehicle has 195,000 on it (35k on a new engine)...not sure it's worth it...
  • dbbonddbbond Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 windstar. I have a yellow warning light that looks almost like a top with an arrow in a circular pattern above it. It appeared right above the RPM gauge. I have never seen this light and wondering if anyone could tell me before I have to go see a mechanic about it? Also, if anyone knows where I can get an owners manual for the windstar that would be great.
  • vptsrvptsr Posts: 1
    having the same problem. i sanded down the four metal contacts on the sliding door behind the passenage side.
    as for the dome light until you find the real problem try to remove the battery relay under the drivers side fuse box
    under the dash on his side. that fwill shut off the dome and the power to the windows. when you need to open the windows repace the relay. im still working on the problem
    if you find out anything please let me know thank you very much vptsr
  • jabaprijabapri Posts: 3
    I am curious. Was it raining? We have the same problem but only when it is raining.

Chris
This discussion has been closed.