Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Windstar Problems

Comments

• felix5felix5 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 98 Windstar. Did you solve yours? What did you have to do?

Thank's
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    That depends on the inegrity of the rebuilder. Obviously you would want to bring that up with them before purchasing, but I would also shop around dealers and price their factory certified rebuilds. With a Ford rebuilt engine or transmission you get a 3/36 warranty and all the latest gaskets and hardware. If it's within 10-20% of an independent shop, the dealer motor may be a better deal.
    You need to check available current and current draw, not voltage. You could have a pinched wire not supplying enough power to the motor, or the window could be hanging up in its track or the regulator assebly could be jamming overworking the motor.
  • rumplerumple Posts: 2
    :mad: Been there, done that. You need to take the whole thing off. It's a real pain, but it can be done. You will be farther ahead to replace the complete unit, it's only a couple dollars more.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Thanks, I did not know dealer would be an option for rebuilt/remanufactured engine.
  • Hey Thanks, it is going in today to get put up on the computer to see if it can tell anything and what is wrong with it. Also someone told me it could be the fuel sensor in it so you have given me other things to look at but I do believe it has something to do with the fuel issues obviously. Thanks Nichole
  • swimmingswimming Posts: 1
    Bought a 2003 Ford Windstar. I now have a swimming pool.
    I've brought it for service 2x now and they still can not find out where the water is coming from. They resealed my roof seams. I can see it coming down my passenger rear near the back hatch and into the power outlet. The rug in the back is dry but the rug under the front seats and back bucket seats are soaking wet. .. This makes me think it is running somewhere under the floor also and coming up where ever it can find an exit. Rust has started on the back of my seats where metal is exposed and I have a moldy odor inside. I am really worried about the "MOLD" issue now. They have not offered to do anything for my rugs or anything else. Any suggestions. I am bring in back to be looked again today.
    - LF :cry:
  • jclark16jclark16 Posts: 2
    Hello Guys and Gals, I have a 99 Ford Wind Star. I have changed all 4 Oxygen Sensors Plus my Air Mass Flow Sensor. My engine light is back on with the same codes reading Bank 1 & Bank 2 Lean. This is crazy. I can't even get my vehicle inspected due to this crazy Emission testing which will not allow your vehicle to pass with the Engine light on and its reading codes. I have changed gasoline Used fuel infection cleaners and everything. Anyway can somebody HELP ME!!!
    JC in North Carolina
  • Hello I took my van in today and come to find out part of the problem was a relay system, then they called me and said it was working right so I walked down, which is 20 minutes not bad but remind you I walked home and that was 20 minutes thank god for sunshine, however when I got there it did the same thing. But part of the problem really was the relay part but they are going to look at it tomorrow morning first thing and we might have to put in a new fuel pump. Good lord I guess when stuff happens it happens at once, I will keep you all informed on what happens thanks for your help. The thing is it only does this when it is warm out and I do believe it is something with the fuel. So thank you for your help any other answers would be appreciated. Thanks Nichole
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    It's usually the intake manifold gaskets leaking. Not very likely that 4 O2 sensors are going to sign off at the same time. Also check for any cracked vacuum hoses and the PCV valve grommet.
    9 times out of ten you end up putting on a revised valve cover, gaskets, PCV, replacing vac lines, and replacing all intake gaskets. Ford screwed up, now you have to pay.
  • clevoclevo Posts: 5
    I found the discussion below helpful for solving the Windstar "door open warning light problem"

Windstar Door Ajar Light Problem
  • mramstedtmramstedt Posts: 1
    Hi,

Last week the battery died as the interior lights would not turn off. I can hear the relay go off just seconds after I close the door, but the lights stay on.

I took off Fuse 29, but it of course this disables also power windows and door locks among other things that would be nice to have sometimes.

Could there be a short-circuit somewhere?

---
    Marko
    Nashville, TN
  • Hello Everyone, well I got my van back today and apparently there are 2 relay switches in the van one is connected to the fuel pump and windshield and that was the one that needed to be fixed not the pump. He ran the van for 2 hours nad stopped it and started it and it started right up. So anyways right now it is that, if it becomes the fuel pump it will be costly but will be worth it as the van has lasted this long. Anyways I just wanted everyone to know it was electrical and dealt with the relay switch and some people don't realize there are 2 relay switches out there so I hope this helps people out in the future. I will keep you all posted on the outcome of the future issues of the van if there are any. Thanks Nichole
  • Hello Everyone, well I got my van back today and apparently there are 2 relay switches in the van one is connected to the fuel pump and windshield and that was the one that needed to be fixed not the pump. He ran the van for 2 hours nad stopped it and started it and it started right up. So anyways right now it is that, if it becomes the fuel pump it will be costly but will be worth it as the van has lasted this long. Anyways I just wanted everyone to know it was electrical and dealt with the relay switch and some people don't realize there are 2 relay switches out there so I hope this helps people out in the future. I will keep you all posted on the outcome of the future issues of the van if there are any. Thanks Nichole :) :shades: ;)
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    mramstedt, you might also want to ask your question in the Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems That Are Driving You Crazy Forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jcohen2004jcohen2004 Posts: 1
    I have the same proble with my 99 WS
    the dealer wants to replace sensors, pcv cover, reporgram something, and more, for about $950.
    Do you know if this is a common issue with windstars? Has Ford been contacted?
  • carr345carr345 Posts: 1
    My 2005 Windstar recently started running very rough and I also get a strong gasoline smell in the cab. A friend that's more mechanically inclined than I am said it might be the fuel pressure regulator. Is this something a mechanically challenged person can replace or does it take special skills to do this task?
  • Hey there had the same problem with my 2000.... someone suggested spraying some WD40 in all the door locks and there is one inside the back hatch ( small hole at the bottom of the door) now whether or not that was the problem ( I sprayed the WD40 ) and mine works now.
  • bharterbharter Posts: 1
    Ford Windstar, 2001: Driver's side door isn't shutting as tightly as it should, so water leaks past the gasket and into the van. Can the latch be adjusted so that the door shuts more tightly?
This discussion has been closed.