Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Tires and Wheels

Comments

• jicbulkjicbulk Posts: 20
    Looking for a UHP All-Season Tire (Live in NH but the car won't ever see snow...it will see cold temps, though) for my '07 328i. 205/55R16 and I'm looking at either the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position or Cooper Zeon Sport A/S.

Comments, please! Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Both good tires, that said, I opted for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires over those two for my car (that I drive year-round here in New Hampshire), and in spite of the fairly heavy winter we went through last season, and in spite of my (then) eighty mile per day commute, they performed flawlessly.

Now that it's summer time I find that I can really lean on them and their upper limits are significantly high enough that I'd have to be seriously extra-legal to get them to even complain much less break loose.

As a side benefit, the Michelin's have a tread life rating that is 25% higher than either the Bridgestone or the Cooper. I now have about 18,000 miles on the Michelins, and based upon their wear to date, I'm thinking I'll get at least 45,000 to 50,000 miles out of them. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 417
    Conflicted again! I had been assuming I should just get AWD for North East winters in NJ. I had read about snow tires and I am convinced they will make a difference on RWD cars like the BMW 328 I am interested in buying.

What I am not convinced on yet:

- How big a difference? I owned a 2004 G35 coupe, auto, RWD and stock tires and it was horrible in the snow. I'm guessing that's the worst possible combination outside performance tires though, coupe, auto, RWD, all seasons?

- What about in the rain? I dont recall the G35 being that great in the rain either. I did not feel particularly safe at highway speeds. Thoughts on a BMW 328i in the rain in the run flats?

- How tough is it to change the tires? I'm not a wrencher. I'm not a car guy particularly. I'm also not dumb and I can learn something as basic as changing tires, it's just a matter of do I want to bother doing that. Is it just a matter of swapping the 2 back tires as if you were changing a flat? May be a dumb question but if you've never done it these questions pop up. I mean... tires are an important safety feature on cars I'm told ;)

- How does Manual Transmission factor in? I drove a stick for years, maybe it's time to go back to that.

Thanks for any help.
  • jicbulkjicbulk Posts: 20
    Snow Tires make a HUGE difference. With low-profile summer-like tires, the car will literally be undriveable in the snow. With snow tires you will swear the car was AWD. It is that noticable. Remember, AWD only helps you start up from a stop, it can't help you stop any faster. Snow tires will.

I have a 328i RWD with RFTs that are practically bald in the rear and they do not slip, even in a raging downpour. The car is glued to the road. No worries.

Changing a tire is a matter of lifting the car with a jack and getting off the lug nuts. Not a big deal. Most tire shops these days will give you free tire rotation as long as you buy the tires there. So switching from a summer tire to a winter tire is as easy as that...provided you have another set of wheels. If you want to use the same wheel and switch tires, then it will be quite a hassle, since you'll have to go to a shop (and where to you put the four other tires? They won't all fit in the trunk...

If you are buying a BMW, then trust me, you want the Stick...
  • ventureventure Central PAPosts: 450
    Is it just a matter of swapping the 2 back tires as if you were changing a flat?

If you are going to use winter tires, get four of them, not just two for the rear. You would like to go around a corner in the snow too wouldn't you, or stop in a decent distance?

Get 4 wheels mounted with winter tires and change them out each spring and fall. You won't regret it.

2014 Fusion, 2013 Impreza, 2011 Forester

• qaliqali Toronto CanadaPosts: 60
    I have been reading posts in this board about replacing all-seasons with winter tires of a different size. My 2007 335i has 225/45R17 91 H tires. If I were to put on new rims and winter tires, what would you recommend that I drop down to? Can I put 16" tires and rims?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,434
    You can't go smaller than 17" on a 335i...The wheels wouldn't clear the brakes..

You could possibly do 205/50-17 (which is an equivalent diameter), to get a narrower tread.. . but, you can't go down to 16".

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• OK. The other day, I removed a 2 inch screw from the side of the tire and the air started to deflate. I took the car to the car immediately to nearby costco about two miles away. I took to costco because I put new tires about 20 months back from the same costco and know that they fix flats for the lifetime of the tire.

Costco said as the nail was on the side wall, it's unrepairable and with the road hazard warranty replaced the tire. They said that the tires had only 63% tread left which was surprising for a 20 month old tire. I had to shell out about $50 for the new tire. They are Michelin Pilot Exalto's.

Now after changing the rear right tire, I see a shake in my steering wheel at low speeds. This is occasional and doesn't come every time. I know the other three were worn similar to what Costco said: 37% of the tread gone.

I am not sure if I have to do a wheel balance or alignment. Does alignment fix this steering shakiness? I will take it to a dealer for the alignment typically.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
  • Hi dear all,

I will move to Indianapolis from LA this Dec. I might drive my 2004 325Ci to there. Because this is a RWD, I am thinking to replace winter tires. I hereby have some questions (sorry I never used winter tires/wheels, so I have too many questions):

1. Can I just buy 4 winter tires? or is it better to buy new winter tires/rims combo because it will be more convenient to replace?

2. I found winter tire/wheel options on tirerack.com. Are their products and service reliable?

3. How well do you think these options would fit my 2004 325CI? My current summer tires/rims are 225/45/17 91H

225/45R17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 Blackwall $137 each
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+W- S60&partnum=245R7BZWS60&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=325Ci%20Coupe&autoYear=2- 004&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

17x7.5 Sport Edition A7 Silver Painted $115 each
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&autoMak- e=BMW&autoModel=325Ci+Coupe&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=&initialPartNumber=JH372P1- S&i1_Qty=4&wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=A7&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&show- Rear=no

4. What is the feature of a *winter wheel*? What is its difference compared to my current OEM wheels? Can I use the selected Sport Edition A7 for my summer tires in future?

Thanks a lot guys...
    I live in Toronto so let me take a stab at your questions:
    1. You can get 4 tires and install them on your current rims, however, if you plan on keeping your car and being in Indianapolis for some time, it is recommended you get 4 rims.
    2. Cannot comment as I have never purchased via Tirerack but some of my friends who have give it a thumbs up experience.
    3. The Blizzak WS-60 is an excellent tire and you can read the reviews on Tirerack. I am going to finalize my decision between the Blizzaks and the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D this week. Just make sure that you get the correct tire size. Have a look at this URL that compare tire categories.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C&width=- 225%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2004&autoModel- =325Ci%20Coupe&autoModClar=

4. There is no special feature of a winter wheel. It is meant as a replacement to be used in the winter where salt/sand mixtures could damage your OEM wheels which may be more expensive to replace.
  • Hi man thanks for your nice reply.

1. Yes plan to keep my 2004 325CI for a while. So probably I will purchase 4 winter tires/rims and install them. Then I can drive to Indianapolis this winter. However, I am thinking do I have to buy 5? cuz I need one as a spare tire/rim.

2. Now I lean to Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D a little bit... I read comments and they said Blizzaks is no as good as Dunlop, and its thread wears out very quickly compared to Dunlop.

3. I am looking between "studless" and "performance snow". First, I am not sure what "studless" means. Is it a kind of more conservative and safe tires in snow? I will commute one-way 40 miles in Indiana. It is known that the high-way I65 in IN has icy-surface in winter. Not a lot snow because the snow will be plowed as long as it falls to the ground. In my case, I am not sure if I should pick '"snow performance" or a more conservative snow tire. My wife is using a Honda accord 2008. I think I will get her some more conservative snow tires, because she does not care performance. For me, I am still thinking what I should use...

4. As you said there is no special features on a winter wheel. However, I see many different sizes 17x7, 17x7.5, 17x8. Here the second number is the width of the wheel? If yes, how can they all fit the same tire (say, 225/45/R17), whose width is the same (225 mm). How should I pick the width of the rim?

5. Do I have to do downsizing? Is a 16" snow tire much better than a 17" one?? Tirerack recommends me to use 205/55/R16 for my winter tires. They also cost less ($300-400 less) than a package of 17 inch tires. My OEM tires are sport series and are 225/45/R17. I am thinking to use 17" snow tires for two reasons: 1) my OEM 17" wheels are old. If they broken someday I can use the new 17" wheels. 2) I will drive to IN from LA this winter with snow tires, which is a long trip. If any of my new snow tires gets broken, maybe I can use my OEM tires as a temporary one?
    1) I wouldn't buy five tires/rims... you still have a spare, don't you?

2) Indy is relatively flat... I'd go for the more performance-oriented snow tire, as you'll be on dry roads 90% of the time (that would be the dunlops).

3) I don't think Indiana allows studded tires, any more... Either way, all the tires you are shopping are studless.. (which is what you want). Q-rated tires are basic snow tires... performance-snow tires are usually H- or V-rated.. which is how I would go... for where you live.

4) 205/50-17 with 7" or 7.5" wheels..
    225/45-17 with 7.5" or 8" wheels..
    205/55-16 with 7" or 7.5" wheels (16")

5) 16" wheels will give you a little more sidewall cushion, in case of winter potholes, but otherwise not any advantage vs. 205/50-17, other than less money... 17" wheels will look better, considering you'll have them on for 4-5 months... I always stuck with 17", if that's what my car comes with..

The 16" and 17" wheel tire/combo is the same overall diameter.. You can use your same spare, or mix one temporarily in an emergency..

I like OEM wheels... If you look on the BMW enthusiasts forums/classifieds, you can usually find a set for sale, that won't be any more than buying aftermarket wheels..

A lot of these recommended choices are because of where you live.. Relatively flat, and not a lot of snowfall (I live in a similar area, but with hills). If you lived in Minnesota, I might lean towards winter tires with maximum snow performance..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visting host

• Dear kyfdx:

Thanks a lot for your reply, which is really helpful.

I did not know the spare in my trunk can be used for 16", 17" and 18" tires,,, it is amazing.

the overall diameter of a 225/45/R17 tire is 17*2.54 + 2*4.5 = 52.18 (cm). The overall diameter for a 205/55/R16 is 16*2.54 + 2*5.5 = 51.64 (cm). So this is not a big difference? And we can mix these two 16- and 17-inch tires?
    1/2 centimeter = 1/5 of an inch... Actually, the calculator I use, shows the difference to be only half that much..

You can mix the spare in.... for short distances... I didn't mean to imply that you could mix and match indiscriminately... But, 16" or 17", they both have the same overall diameter (well... very close, as I noted).

No one that I know of.. buys a winter tire/wheel for a spare... They just make do with their normal spare.

205/55/16
    225/50-16
    205/50-17
    225/45-17
    245/40-17

Those are all pretty much equivalent sizes for an E46 3-series (which is what you have).

One caveat for 330i owners.. you can't downsize to 16" wheels, as they won't clear the bigger brakes on the 330i.

regards,
    kyfdx

• I agree with everything kyfdx has said on the topic except for one thing... there are 16" wheels that fit some(all?) 330's. A few years back tirerack.com sold a 16" wheel made by AT, I believe, that looked like the E36 M3 Contour wheels and they currently have 16" Sport Edition A7 wheels that will fit. There's something with the way they are dished out that allows them to clear the brakes.

That said, I would probably stick to 17" anyway since I don't know what, if any, negative effect the smaller wheel could have on brake cooling.
  • ngmhngmh Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am in Toronto and I have a 2009 328i xdrive coupe with sport package, and need a set of winter wheels / tires,

1. should I go for 225/45R17. Any wheels and tires suggestion which can keep the look of the coupe look great.

2. Should I go for normal tire or run flat tires

3. Should I get the Tire Pressure Monitor on the wheels (some tire store say not necessay). Will the warning light keep on all winter as long as the winter pacjage is on the car.

4. Any good tire store in Toronto can do good job?

Thanks everyone for the input.
    Thanks kyfdx. I am putting on 205/50-17 non-RFT winter tires on new BMW rims. Do I need to do anything in terms of changing the settings in the car because I am not going to be using RFT tires?
    Hi,
    I live in Toronto as well and drive a 335i. The standard tire size on my car is also 225/45/17. Answers to your questions:
    1. You can go for the same low profile tire however, you could also put in 205/50-17 and save some $$.
    2. Up to you. I am going for normal wires tires as RFTs can begin to get quite expensive.
    3. Sorry, I am not sure how to answer that.
    4. Try Tires 23 at http://www.tires23.com/
  • nepropneprop Posts: 41
    I am looking at buying a used Audi A4 AWD Cabriolet (convertible) or a used BMW 3 series convertible. Both are great cars, but I live in New England where the winters can be quite snowy. Having driven Subaru's with AWD and all season tires, this is acceptable. So my question is can a rear wheel drive BMW with true, good WINTER tires actually handle a normal New England winter or not.

Interested in real world feedback. If the answers are mostly "no", then I'll keep looking for the right Audi A4 with AWD and go that route. Thanks for your help.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Yes. IMO, good winter tires are all you need.

Of course, the driver needs to know what they're doing also :shades: ,
    Ok, so I put on a set of 205/50-17 winter tires. Any tips on what the tire pressure should be? The owner's manual and the door label only lists the pressure for stock tires, ie, 225/45-17.
    205-50-17 should have the same pressures.... same sidewall height as the 225/45-17...

• I live in Wisconsin...and need to get into work even with bad weather. I have a new 335xi coupe which I love; came with Continental RFT as "all season". My question is has anyone put snows on a 335xi coupe and been happy or unhappy. I've never put snows on an awd car; but from doing some reading it seems like it might be a good idea and will take a good 7-10K miles/year off my other tires. Just wondering if others have been happy with that "investment"...thanks Dave
    I can't speak for the 335xi, but when we had our 2002 Subaru Outback wagon, we did just fine with a good set of all season radials (not performance summer tires) in up to 6-8" of snowfall.
  • I've never owned an AWD sedan until i bought my '09 328ix recently. We have(had) 2 Acura MDX's w/ AWD and only used the all seasons that came with it,, granted those all seasons seem a little "chunkier" than the Conti's on my 3. The 335ix comes w/ the 17" rims no? They may be a little worse in the snow than my 16". I'll let you know how my all seasons performed in the spring!
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    I own a sport package 335i e90. A friend has unknown 17' rims with snow tires from his e46. The tires are 225/50/R17.

Is this likely to fit on my 335i? I would like to not be driving a giant ice skate this winter. ;)
    If they fit his E46, they probably won't fit your E90..

Correct size is 205/50-17 or 225/45-17.. His tires are too tall (if that size is correct).

• raja6raja6 Posts: 7
    I was offered wheel and tire protection for my 328xi for 1995 and came down to 1700 within 10 seconds and I was informed that i have to take a decision then and there only. Due to cheap tricks played by the dealor, i might be getting my vehicle next week.

My questions here are
    # What will be the reasonable price buyers are paying for 16" wheels.
    # Can i take this after i took the delivery of my vehicle .if yes , is there any time limits to take this?

Thanks for any advice in this regard .
    Raj
    That seems outrageously expensive to me.

I paid $599 for the wheel/tire protection plan on my 2009 G37S. Good for 5 years.
  • raja6raja6 Posts: 7
    Can anyone suggest me any Dealers in NJ to get 16" wheel and Tire Protection package for 5 years with reasonable rate.
    I am taking my vehicle from my dealer today and my dealer is not interested to reduce earlier mentioned amount.
    Thanks
    Raj