Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Tires and Wheels

12345679»

Comments

• dan12dan12 Posts: 114
    The dealer hasn't said anything, but I wonder if anyone can advise me on when a tire change is appropriate. I know SP performance tires don't last as long as the regular tires. I don't drive super aggressive (although I have my fun once in a while), but I had heard that around 20K to 25K miles I should change the tires. I am now at over 30K miles so I'm getting worried, especially with the rainy season here.

Any advice?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Lowballer7, I am sorry but I had to delete your post. Your picture was waaay too wide. You can repost if you can resize it to fit between the left and right margins of the page.

The easiest way to do that is post it on your CarSpace page and then use the automatically generated embed text. Then the picture will be resized to fit.
  • All,

I have a 2009 335i sedan with the factory 5 spoke 18" wheels that come with the sport package... see picture in this link: link title

They're nice, but I want to get the 18" wheels that come with the sport package on the 335d (Diesel). See picture in this link: link title OR HERE for close-up picture: link title

3 questions:

1. Is the lug nut spacing the same between the 335i and the 335d? So, are both wheels interchangeable?

2. Can anyone recommend a good wheel shop in Southern California that carries the 335d wheels?

3. Do you think I can do an exchange? My wheels only have 6400 miles on them.

Thanks!

P.S. - Pat, thanks for removing the last post.... I couldn't edit or remove it myself!
  • My ride is an '09 335i with Sport Package wearing 225/40 R18 fronts and 255/35 R18 rears. TireRack and other forums I've read recommend downsizing 1 size when changing from UHP Summer Tires to Winter Tires. I understand the physics and logic behind that recommendation but I still have some questions that I've not seen addressed.

1) If I drop down to 225/45 R17 tires all the way around, as recommended by TireRack and others, what wear-n-tear and handling performance impact is there given the suspension is designed for 18" wheels/tires? Are there recommended wheel alignment adjustments that should be made to compensate for the smaller (width and diameter) setup?

2) What impact is there on the speedo and odometer? If I recall my math training correctly, smaller diameter wheels/tires should result in my speedo reading faster than I'm actually driving (the speedo already is reading faster than I'm actually driving with my OE 18" thus the 17" will make that issue even worse, but that's a whole other thread). Also, my odometer will indicate more miles traveled with the smaller wheels/tires than I've really travelled (thereby getting me closer to the end of my warranty sooner than later).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,598
    225/45-17 tires will have the same overall diameter as the tires that are already on your car. So, no effect on the speedo or odometer... Also, since they are the same diameter, they will have no effect on your suspension or other mechanicals... 225/45-17 is the stock size for your car.

They will have a little more sidewall flex (due to the extra 1/2" of sidewall), and of course, winter tires won't handle like your summer rubber, but that's more of a driver adjustment..

Of course, they won't fit on your current wheels. You'll need a dedicated set of 17" wheels for them.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I had not considered the fact that 17" tires would be the same diameter as my OE 18" tires. Once you mentioned the extra sidewall it dawned on me and what you're saying makes good sense. Just did a little research on TireRack.com and notice that the 17"s have an overall diameter of 25" while my OE fronts are 25.2" and the OE rears are 25.1". I presume the 0.1 and 0.2 inch difference is negligible.

Yes, I've picked out a set of 17" wheels for the near winter rubber.

Thanks for the info.
    Yeah... you've got it...

205/55-16
    225/50-16
    205/50-17
    225/45-17
    245/40-17
    255/40-17
    225/40-18
    255/35-18

Those sizes are all virtually interchangeable on a 3-series.... Sometimes you have to watch width clearance on the front axle... and, on bigger engine models, you may have to have a bigger diameter size to clear the brakes..

• Now that the threat of snow and sustained sub-40 degree days are gone, it's time to put the summer rims & rubber back on. What is the recommended torque setting for the OEM wheels on my 2009 335i with Sport Package? I can't find it in the owners manual or anywhere on the car.

Also, this is my first time swapping (dealer put the winter's on). Any tips or lessons learned I should beware of?

Thanks!
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 795
    According to Tire Guides, the wheel bolt torque is 88 ft-lbs.
  • Thanks! Changed them over this weekend without any problems.
  • fomentarfomentar Posts: 46
    I've recently purchased a 2008 335xi coupe, 35K miles. The alloy wheels have some oxidation/pitting. I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to restore them or improve their appearance, other than a wheel refurbishment. I welcome your thoughts/suggestions.
  • newbie26newbie26 Posts: 4
    I'm looking to replace OEM Bridgestone run flats with something that balances 95% "normal" driving with occasional spirited stints and an annual trip to the track. ("Reasonable" ride/treadwear without totally compromising performance) I'd like to stay away from the RF's, especially Bridgestones given reviews and my own experience. Per tire rack reviews, Continental DW's were well-rated, although they are back ordered/unavailable. By phone they recommended Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports. Reviews show a wide array of opinions: love em or hate em. The Michelin PS2's seem to have a fairly consistent positive rating. Any opinions? I'd hate to have 15-20,000 miles worth of buyers remorse over saving a couple hundred bucks. Appreciated.

I have 17" winter wheels/Blizzaks so I imagine that could work in a pinch as a spare.
    the Potenza 760s seem to have a reputation as the best "budget" tire... without dropping down to the bargain basement brands.. Of course, "budget" is a relative term...

I've never heard anyone complain about the PS2, though... Those would be my choice... with your money.. ;)

• mulligan7mulligan7 Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    Would love some advice for my 2009 328xi. Caught a nail in a run flat and the tire shop says it cannot be repaired. since I have awd w/ 23k I will need to replace all four tires. I'm thinking of going w/go flats as they are $600 cheaper.

I was thinking of buying a 5th wheel & tire and just throwing the thing in the trunk. Any other options beside 4 new run flats?

Any chance my old 2002 80km "spare" would work in a pinch?

Butmywife
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    If I was to buy a car with RFTs and no spare I'd change the rubber to GFTs and equip my trunk with one of these:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
    There is a chance your old spacesaver spare would work... If you buy the GFTs, take it with you, and have the tire store try it out to see.... E46 and E90 offsets are different, but with a spacesaver, it may not make a diffference..

If the offset is okay, then brake clearance will be the other issue..

As far as size, if your spacesaver is from a 3-series BMW, then tire diameter has remained constant for quite some time.

Thanks to Shipo and Kyfdx for great suggestions! Interestingly, Costco won't sell GFTs for a car that doesn't have a spare so I'll look at Les Schwab (West Coast only?), Goodyear and Firestone. Am I missing any options here?
    My divorce w/ RFTs is imminent but not amicable.

ButMyWife
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,835
    Did you really verify that Costco policy on GFTs? I never heard of such a thing. I mean, they would really turn down $$$ ??? Seems very odd to me. :confuse:

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited May 2011
    My 2010 Chevy Malibu (no, I didn't to choose it - it's a company car :) ) came from the factory with go-flats and no spare. Instead of a spare, it came with a contraption similar to the Conti Kit that Shipo linked above.

I seriously doubt anyone would refuse to sell me tires for it.
    Costco, Sams and Walmart are all very sticky about tires.... If the computer says no, it's no...

The closest tire dealer to my house is a local chain.. Asked them to put a couple tires on the rear... "Are they used? If so, we can't do it." Which is pain, because my local independent isn't open on Saturdays...

I had the same experience. Over the phone the employee at Costco used his computer to match possible tires and said they could only sell me RFTs.
    If I remember correctly, the wheels on my 2002 325xi were 16" so I assume the spacesaver spare was too. My 2009 has 17" wheels but I like your suggestion of giving it a go when I buy the RFTs.

Anybody out there know if Les Schwab tires are any good? There after-purchase service is excellent.

ButMyWife
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,835
    Ah I get it. Once again, the machine overcomes common sense---okay, I sense the presence of a corporate lawyer behind the curtain!

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    I've got a certain independent Mom-and-Pop tire shop in mind for all my future work. Discount Tires now dictates where they'll put the new tires (on the rear, BTW, if you buy "only" 2 instead of 4) and whether they'll repair a slow leak. "This tire is worn out. We won't repair it."

Fine.

I'll find someone who will.

Besides which, they'll be willing to mount and balance my Tire Rack purchases.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,469
    Me too; my shop charges $15 per tire to mount and balance and they gladly mount my Tire Rack purchases...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica