Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• toni19toni19 Posts: 9
    Hello,

I did get the problem fixed. Mine was jumping gear right from 1st after a stop. It was a tranny issue. They had to replace a few solonoids and it solved the problem. The job normally can run 1500, but I got mine done alot cheaper cause it was right after I purchased the car and I was so angry that was happening.
    Now I have a 'whistling' sound every time I accelerate and that's driving me crazy. I am going to get that checked out soon.
  • klm005klm005 Posts: 2
    I did get my problem resolved. It was a simple fuel filter. However, I have been advised to get my transmission fluid and filter replaced soon. After reading about everyone's problems, I am afraid to touch anything! Also, my speakers on my radio do not work at all (since I had the head gasket replaced.) It is obvious the radio is on because it shows what song is playing, but no sound.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    toni19,

Please keep us posted on any information regarding the whistling sound.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Hi Caron,

I have an appt this Friday to have it checked out I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks !
    Toni
    Toni,

Glad to hear you have an appointment on Friday. I look forward to hearing from you after the appointment.

Thank you,
    Good morning !

I brought it in and they could find nothing wrong with it. How odd. I guess that is very good news, no money out of my pocket, but I am still hearing the whistling noise whenever I accelerate and it stops when I let off.
    toni19,

Thank you for the update and I am glad to hear there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. If you still have concerns, please feel free to get a second opinion.

Thank you,
  • army_guy1army_guy1 Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I have a 2003 Impala LS and it has a knocking coming from the transmission housing cant figure it out i would figure if it had a bearing going out it would leak fluid???? Maybe im just mechanically stupid. Has anyone had this problem before or know what it could be. Any input would be awesome.
    thank you
  • army_guy1army_guy1 Posts: 2
    Found out that the fly-wheel is cracked might explain the noise. Going to replace the torque converter while I have the engine out. Also the engine is getting new seal's and gaskets plus a new water pump and while i have it torn down ill be looking at the wear and tear so far it looks great for 160,000mi. :)
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    Nope, a crack in the flywheel couldn't cause that noise. It would have disintegrated and come through your floor if the crack was that bad.

Little cracks in a flywheel are not uncommon at all. Take it to a machine shop and let them evaluate it. Most often, a flywheel with cracks in it can be resurfaced and used again.
  • hideehidee Posts: 1
    I would NOT have this done unless it is really necessary and the mechanic knows what he's doing. I replaced my trans and a few years later had the trans flushed. What a mistake, ever since, it was occasionally jerking. The 'oil change' place that did the flush, just put trans fluid in each time I complained. 3 years later - I'm in the process of getting a new 'used' transmission at the low price of $2k!!! 2 trans, 3 catalytic converters and a number of other replacements...I'm so done! sorry to vent, but it's not JUST the car, but the shop/mechanic that does it that makes a huge difference on the problems!
  • derek6223derek6223 Posts: 1
    I don't know if this is the right forum, but my 2004 Impala has started jerking at certain speeds as well. I'm not sure if it's the transmission or not but it has 145,000 miles on it. However it started doing this after I washed the engine area at a car wash. If related to washing the engine, what was the most likely part damaged by the washing of the engine at the car wash?
  • i have a 2003 impala ls and my car USE to do that for about 2 months. my brakes were getting bad and i was driving home one night and i felt a big boom like i hit something except i could feel it was something to do with the car. after that night i got new brakes and everything but my car started to make that same annoying noise! it got louder and then stayed the same untill one day it just didnt make that noise anymore. im not suggesting anything just letting you know your not the only one and i hope its nothing serious....hopfully your noise stops too!
  • I have a 2005 impala, that i purchased in 2006. ive never had a problem with it except for replacing the water pump 3 years ago. Today my check engine light comes on (2 weeks after my last oil change) all of a sudden and the car starts jumping. Couldn't get it to reverse, had to put it in neutral and roll backwards. I put it in drive and although it moved, it felt like it was way more effort. It took a while to get up to a decent speed, then i stop at a light and i have to start all over. My dad took it up to auto zone and they said i had 6 transmission codes! but 600$ dollars just to have a look at it, c'mon! Please help!
  • tman823tman823 Posts: 1
    I have owned Chevy's since 1968 and I am sorry to say that I have had enough. With only 105,000 miles on my 2005 Impala, I had to replace the transmission. It started shifting hard for no apparent reason. I had it taken in to a reputable transmission shop and he told me that he does more more Impala's business than any other car. This is my first and last front wheel drive car also. I still have the old 1993 Caprice out in the back yard as my backup car. It only has 299,325 miles on it, but it is stone reliable. The transmission guy told me that the 2003 model has a bullit proff transmission, but in 2004 chevy changed something and he makes a good living on this model. Impala owners beware, because it sounds like this is something that may have been recalled.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    It was most likely just a defective module. My mother's Impala started doing that and she brought it to a shop and it cost about $300 to fix.
    Sorry but I think you got ripped off
  • Cracked flexplates (not actually a flywheel) on automatic transmissions are common. They tend to bang like a rod knock and don't come apart. Usually, they crack around the crankshaft flange where they're bolted to the crank.
  • Hadn't thought of the flex plate, if that's what he meant. My recollection though, was that flex plates,when they crack, give off a rather higher, metallic noise, not a heavy thumping. It's a fairly thin piece of metal after all.
  • I bought a 04 impala used with only 53000 had for 2 weeks tranny went bad is now being rebuilt by the dealer !!! Lucky me i have a warrenty this will be the last time that i buy a American car and i had always swore on Chevy but it seems like they make them not to last !!!!!

Junk
  • sexyt26sexyt26 Posts: 1
    i am having thw same promblem with my car i have put 2 in my car this is bull chevy forreall yall ripe offs