Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• GM screwed me with my Cobalt as well. This company sure likes losing customers.
  • ATTENTION TO ALL 2004 CHEVY IMPALA OWNERS:
    If you know someone that owns one of these cars and they are having problems with the electrical things, please have them contact GM. Please forward this to ANYONE

and EVERYONE that may have this car. I will have the website below after I am done saying what I have to say. I have owned my car for about 5 years now. My wipers

work when they want too! Yes, I said when they want too. The car has some bypass security that causes the car not to start so you have to wait 10 to 20 minutes for it to

reset itself. REALLY!!! The battery light comes on randomly while driving down the road (yes, it has bee replaced). The Heat/AC works when if feels like it. I had the

blower replaced two times. Now the Heat/AC DOES NOT turn off when I turn the car off so I have to open the hood and pull out the fuse everytime I get out of my car.

Of course, I put it back in if I need Heat/AC. Sounds like a fun car, huh??

I contacted GM for them to tell me to have it checked at a Chevy Dealer. I let them know that I have in the past and they CANNOT find anything wrong. One customer

service rep said maybe someone tampered with the car. Another told me, I have a lot of miles on the car. He said this is not a recall because they have not heard of this

problem!! I for warned him that this is going to go national because of ME!

Well, I guess every 2004 Chevy Impala must have been tampered with according to my research. REALLY???? Well, I let him know that I was going to post this on

Facebook, Twitter and every Bulletin Board I can find. I am going print this out and put it on every 2004 Chevy Impala I see in any parking lot.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, spread the word to those that have this problem and go to the below website!! Have them inbox me with their results! Yes, I am PISSED

and they have NOT heard the end of this! I apologize to any of my friends that may work there ahead of time! Thank you, Sandy

http://www.chevrolet.com/help/contact-us.html (you can email them or call them. If you email them, believe me, they will call you back)
  • Well folks I just spoke with a GM rep who in short said they are not responsiable
    across the board for the 04&05 impalas be it the trans issue and the electrical issue and yes the psaaylock system (spelling sorry) email me lets compare notes crystalceed@yahoo.com my transmission is back to kicking dirt and second gear any ideas on or luck on repairs wipers temp gauge please just email thanks I can't afford to repair this car again
  • first off I will say how much i LOVE my Impala!! Its an 07 with maybe 55k on it. I baby my car. However lately its getting more common to what I think 'tranny or gear slipping'.. Im no mechanic by any means. It only does it when I'm pulling off from a dead stop. The first time it 'bogged' i guess you can call it, it felt as though someone rearended me. Freaked me out. Sometimes it jerks harder then others. Its hard for someone to 'diaginose' it because they dont drive it everyday and when you want someone to feel it, it never does it.
    I assume its the tranny. Sometimes it seems as though the RPMs are out of wack too. I do all the schedualed maintence on my car in alloted time. I dont beat it, she's in fantastic condition. No accidents.. So I know its nothing I've done. Just wondering what you all have figured out on what to do because we seem to have very similar issues? hoping its an 'easy' fix also.
  • 2008 Imp SS w/ similar problem, 40k miles. intermittent rev/clunk on take off, usually when cold and warming...I've called GM customer service 2x's, received help from zone rep....dealer can't reproduce, and says no diagnostic codes...so I'm out of luck. Not much option here...sell it, or wait til it fails, hope it's still under warranty...It's unfortunate, liked the car...
  • Good afternoon crsnkel,

We understand that it would be difficult to get this diagnosed as it is intermittent. If you were to ever decide upon working with a GM Dealership and wanted for us to check into the situation further, please be sure to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Good afternoon blackss,

We're sorry that your dealership has had difficulty reproducing the concern with your Impala's transmission. If the concern starts to happen more frequently and you want for us to reopen your case (or start a new one), please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with the last 8 digits of your VIN.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • does anyone know if the transmission from a 3.4 will fit on a 3,8 motor? :confuse:
  • Same exact issue with my car currently ! It's also a 2007. It's never been in an accident, and I try to take very good care of my car. It's got 78k miles on it though, and since I didn't buy it from the GM local dealership here, i bought it from another dealership, I don't know what I can do about this. It seems like the slipping is getting worse and I feel as if the transmission will soon just fall completely out of the car. Let me know if you have done anything about it?
  • Good morning alejandroayon,

If you decide to get this checked out with your GM dealership, please be sure to keep us updated on that visit! We're available to assist in the process, and can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• I have an 08 impala. when I too give it gas there is a little shake and the car revs and then catches like someone hit you in the back end. This started at 70000 miles when it was under warranty. Took it too the dealer ship and they said that there is no code showing. well, it kept happening and I kept telling my service rep who said the same things. no code we don't know. So i took it in for brakes and told the rep it is worse. he said before anyone drove it that i should keep driving it because sooner or later a code will show up. what crap! Now it has 11200 miles on it and they say they will only pay 50% to fix it. Even though I had been telling them about it since 70000 miles. I like the car BUT GM DOES NOT GIVE A RATS [non-permissible content removed] ABOUT THESE PROBLEMS. No code, no problems. I will never buy a GM again because they do not back their waranties I have been buying from the same dealer for 27 years and his answer was that they would pay 50% of my half. They don;t care that I reported it at 70000 and now its out of warenty so its my fauly. I will now buy a ford or a foreign car and take my chances, For all the blogs I have read about this problem happening to others, it seems that GM knows about it but says nothing. It really is call General Mess. Glad the gov ownes it because it will be out of business again. All obama did was give the unions a ballout! They are still a crummy car company!!!
  • fixmyvehiclefixmyvehicle Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I have read problems about my car that I have been experiencing but tonight I had to register and post about it

I have a 2008 Impala SS.
    I bought it used from the chevy dealer with 70k miles in April 2010. It wasn't untill a week later i learned that it was a rental car. why a rental company would want a SuperSport is beyond me...
    It now has 91k miles.

Anyway, I experience the same slipping transmission problem. I have taken it to the dealer for other problems and they never experienced this one. Tonight I was driving it and it decided to not drive altogether....I stopped at a stop sign and when traffic was clear I tried to make a left turn. The engine revved but the car did not move. I tried again in drive and again in reverse. Only after turning the car off was I able to drive for about 50yards and it quit again. Turned the car off again, made a u-turn and went back to the side street of the original stop sign and the car quit again. Just had it towed, good thing for AAA...

the other problems experienced were the "service stabilitrack" and "engine power loss" dash warnings. Just got it back from the dealer on Monday(10-15-12) for a PO443 code, replaced the Purge solinoid a month ago and got the code again so they recommended rewiring from the purge to the computer. If the engine light comes back on they said it could be the computer.

Who else loves when the company who built the car says: "It might be....that is wrong with it"

I will never take my car back to Valencia Chevrolet
    FIX MY CAR
  • billshell,

We can certainly understand how this is frustrating for you; have you opened a Service Request with Customer Assistance on this yet? If you would like to, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• fixmyvehicle,

We're sorry that this possible transmission concern has come up, and we understand how frustrating this must be after having just gotten your vehicle back earlier this week for a different issue. If you want for us to check into this further with you, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• Sorry Chevy, we could not come to a fair conclusion concerning my vehicle. I will have the repair done at my cost and will turnaround and sell the car and buy a Ford. I am fully tired of POOR Chevy Quality, it is terrible, and customers are going to be sick of it. How a company with service issues that have caused re-designs to occur, then asked the customer to pay for fixing these defects, is in business is amazing. But one-by-one, your customers will rebel, and this is my first email of thousands I plan to send out, outlining these issues for all to see. As soon as I have some time, I will make certain that I get on the many social websites dedicated to car buying and make sure everyone knows my story. I am fed up with the "OLD GM" and now the "NEW GM". Please contact me by email and I will lay the issues out in detail.
  • sickofchevy,

We're not certain if you currently have a vehicle and are experiencing difficulties. If we can check into the situation further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name, summary of the situation, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• I have 2005 impala since new with about 70K miles. The problem is similar to the ones described here, mine shifts "violently" specially after drives of 10 miles or more, the problem can occasionally be fixed by shutting the car down for a couple of minutes and restarting...any one else run into this?

The folks on these posts are correct about GM standing up to the plate like Toyota just did and fix these lemon transmissions.

My other car is a 1989 Ford bronco II and it runs like a champ!, it's embarrassing to drive this impala "lurcher" with company...Shame on you GM! :mad:
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    These transmission problems are caused by a faulty module that costs around $300 to replace. My mother's 2006 Impala had this problem and a local mechanic diagnosed it right away.
  • I am so with you on this one. My car has been to the dealer in the past and they could not find the electrical issues. Now that I contacted GM, they want me to take it to the dealer and pay for the diagnostics testing again to see if it is something as a recall. Really, as much money that has been put into it already, they want me to pay for this. Why don't they offer me a voucher to have this looked into. If it is not a recall, then I will take it to get fixed. Sick over this!!!
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    Yes on my 2004 Impala and I had the trans fixed for $1000 15000 miles ago (has 150,000 now) and it shifts fine with no problems. You have 2 choices, have the valve body rebuilt and solenoids replaced for a $1000 or dump the car. If you continue to drive it the way it is you will eventually need a full trans rebuild for $2500+. Time to cut your losses and no, GM will not pay for it.