Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• cuffcuff Posts: 11
    just to let ya all know what they found out......it was the pressure control valve in the tranny........it was sticking making the shifts very hard....talked to a mechinac that worked there.he can't beleive there is no recall on these car's.....from 2001 to 2005 have this problem.but from 2006 and on the valve was updated...there not having problems..but it is fixed now...just hope g.m do a recall on these cars before they rune a good selling car.
  • just to let you know what i found . i lowered the tranny down and pulled the side cover off that faces the left front wheel and i replaced the presure control solenoid . and while i was in there i replaced the torque convertor bandwith solenoid just because these go bad often also but the problem was the pc solenoid , it now works great and i have no problems :)
  • I have the 02 Impala. At startup especially when cold, when I shift into Reverse or Drive It does nothing until a few seconds, then It will chunk it to gear. I have no problems with the other gears, only when the car has been off for a while and has cooled off. The car has about 68500 miles on it. Any Sugguestions?
  • Hello All!, I am new to message boards, so please have patience with me. I have a 2003 Impala that I bought new in Sept. of 2003. It just turned 40,000 miles. I have done everything as recommended by my maintenance schedule, and now my transmission slips on cold days. Once I warm up the car, she goes just fine. Does any one else have a similar problem??
    i have bought a 2005 impala back in nov 2006......i'v done alot of reading on this site about the impala and the problems people are having with there car's..from leaking colant,trans problems,brakes,motor mounts,steering shafts,keyless key ,convert's pluging up,gauges not working[gas...temp...spedoo..etc....i no it's not only the 2005 car ...but others too.........my question is why won't G.M stand up and fix these problems....it seems alot of people are having the same problem.....i'm sure we all love our cars...we all spent our hard earn dollars to by one.....so why won't g.m step up to the plate....what pisses me off the most is i wrote too g.m canada and have heard not one thing from them.....make's no sense to me.....what about the rest of you impala owner's....PS ....G.M DO SOME RECALLS BEFORE YOU RUNE THE NAME OF A GOOD CAR
  • Good day everyone - I've been reading alot on this forum for about a year now and I read ALOT of complaints about the 2000's Impalas but no one seems to comment on good things - I own a 2004 base (3.4L) Impala, bought it used @ 34K miles in Feb of 2005 (now @ 81K miles) and I have not had ANY of the serious issues listed anywhere, from leaking colant,trans problems,brakes,motor mounts,keyless key ,convert's plugging up ,gauges not working[gas...temp...spedoo..etc. - although I had the steering shafts re-lubed - but that was paid for by the dealer I bought it from - replaced discs and pads 1.5 year ago and I still have 75% in front and 85% in back and replaced the water pump a couple months ago. Oh and a vibration I can't get rid of (replaced old steel rims with new alloys and tires with no resolution) three or four places told me I was crazy...so I left it. Besides regular maintenance, which you have to do on ALL makes and models, I have to say I LOVE my Impala. Its the best car I've ever driven in heavy snow, super smooth Hwy driving with remarkable gas mileage - given it's size and class - with tones of room! Have you ever seen a car with that HUGE of a trunk!? I hope this helps to encourage new buyers from the classic Impala - they are not all lemons!! It's like any brand; some will break down more than others (although some makes/models are worse than others) :shades:
  • I've been posting here since early 2000 when I ordered my Impala, and while I've had a few problems (upper intake manifold recall, ISS clunking), the only time the car has let me down has been the 3 times my battery has died. At the time I bought the car I thought it was the best compromise between size, safety, fuel economy, reliability, etc. I'm coming up on 8 years of ownership next month (and approching 105k miles) and I still enjoy driving this car, and prefer it by far to my wife's 2003 Accord EX.

I was admittedly hesitant to buy a "first year" car, but I felt the drivetrain (3.8l V6) was bulletproof, so I felt comfortable with the purchase. However, I really enjoyed being one of the "first on the block" with a 2000 Impala, and I like the fact that the car is 8 years old and still looks current. I was probably most disappointed with the intake manifold problem, simply because I assumed I'd have no drivetrain issues, and sought out a car with the 3.8 engine. I've had a few odd glitches (power window switch, a couple of dash lights burned out), but overall I'd say the car has been as reliable as the '89 Toyota Celica it replaced (which I drove for 11 years and @ 116k miles).
    i love my 2005 impala 3.4l........but i have one question about the trans and just wondering if any body with a 2005 3.4 has the same problem i have.it seems when the car shifts into 3rd gear it falls on it's face.you always have too tramp it down or you slow right down....seems there is no happy medium.....i also noticed that the tranny in the 2005 is different than the others......wonder why...it just seems it is geared to tall for the 3.4 engine.....has a gear ratio of 1.1 all others are geared 1.0 does not seem like much,but drive each one and you will see the world of difference.....i asked g.m about it and i'm still waiteing for a answer from them..,i wonder if that's telling me something........any way ...like to hear from other owners with a 20058 3.4......thanks
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    I have a 2004 impala 3.4 with 65000 miles and have not noticed 3rd gear as a dog. I notice the shift from 1st to 2nd too soft and not firm seems like it is slipping into 2nd unless you have 3/4 to full throttle launches. The car is a dog at higher speeds compared to the 2000 Olds Intrigue that had the 3.5 DOHC motor which reved higher and the tranny did not shift bad even after 100,000 miles. The Olds was a dog off the line where the impala is quicker off the line but loses steam as speed increases.
  • I pick up my 2001 Impala tomorrow when it is done getting a new transmission installed. With a little over 60,000 mi it hesitated in cold startups when put into reverse or drive. Would completely stop in driveway, revd hard, then whined,after a few minutes warming up, it would cooperate. Sometimes hesitated pulling out at a stop sign.
    Service guy says it was caused by not fully engaging the brakes when shifting from reverse to drive...however,that is not how I drive. Upon his inspection, the pan had big chunks of metal and gears all ground up.
  • I had same problem..it only gets worse with time.
    mine is 2001 with 60,000 mi started having problems with reverse and drive in cold start..when warmed up was ok. it is getting a new transmission installed cuz they opened up the pan and found chunks of metal and gears all ground up. better have them look inside your transmission.
  • I kind of figured I would have to go for a new trans. I just can't believe after only 40,000 miles! If you don't mind me asking, can you tell me how much you paid for a new trans. or did you get a rebuilt?
  • nelsonrnelsonr Posts: 9
    I got a 2004 impala base with almost 90,000 milles and transmission its been acting up . Sometimes hesitated pulling out at a stop sign when cold, it pauses takes about 1 second or 2 from the moment I push the gas pedal before it takes off,and when it does it feels like a someone has rear bumped you. and even when warm it will do it some time. we already changed oil and filter but still doing it at least 3,4 times a month ( I've been taking notes for the last 5 months) is this normal in the impala??
    any advise ??? :confuse:
  • nelsonrnelsonr Posts: 9
    has anyone heard before of putting transmission oil to the motor would help to clean up all the part inside of it.
    a little nocking sound coming from the motor suggested my mechanic that one of the lifters maybe stuck or not doing its job because of all gasoline residue.(cheap gas even if you use 89 grade) so before any mayor job . he wants me to pour 1 bottle of transmission oil to the motor and then let it run for about an hour then do my oil change. this will lubricate and clean up all the inside parts of the motor leaving it almost like new. ??????????
    I just dont know I never heard of such thing before.
    does anyone know about it ???? I have an 04 impala :confuse:
  • martin22martin22 Posts: 53
    Many years ago, in England and before the days of detergent oil, we used what was called 'flushing oil'. It was very low viscosity - about the same as kerosene - and was put in the engine after the old oil was drained. The engine was than run under no load for about 30 min and then drained again. The flushing oil's purpose was to clear out as much crud as possible before fresh oil was put in. I don't know whether 1 bottle of transmission oil added to the old oil would do the trick but flushing oil certainly did.
  • ohiogrlohiogrl Posts: 5
    My new transmission was around $4,000.
  • kevink7kevink7 Posts: 2
    ...larcone, ...great (informative) post.
    I'm new on this board, ...just joined since, ...you guessed it. I have an '01 Impala with a transmission issue.

Just yesterday, ...I put it in gear, ...gave it gas, ...nothing. Then, ...thud, into gear(reverse). I notice everything on the car, ...and now I'm hearing a 'new' noise from the engine compartment(trans). I never gave it much thought but about a week ago, ...I thought something (shifting) acted "different" when accelerating (slip?). I just sort of 'noted' it, ...but adding that to yesterday's incident has me wondering. I've only driven it up and down the driveway, but it seems to function OK right now.
    I have had the car for 2+ years (currently 56K miles), ...and it's been great. I do most of my own work on the cars, ...but not sure I want to tackle the trans on a front wheel drive.
    My question, ...How involved is it to remove the (left) side cover to get to the PCM, TQ bandwidth solenoid, etc.?
    NOT that I know that is the problem, ...yet.

If it's manageable, ...I'd rather do it myself.
    By the way, ...another plug for www.rockauto.com , ...I've ordered from them a number of times, ...great prices and service.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • yes i have the same problem. then it got worse now it does not want to go into anygear. i have called GM about it and they pretty much say tough luck. take it to a dealer and they will put a new one in for me. i bull sh.....t. they have know that this is a problem for a long time and still do nothing about it. i think we need to file a class action on them.
  • I have a 2001 Impala LS (3.8) with about ~105k miles. My problem is this. It will not shift into overdrive. When I get up to overdrive speed it begins to whine and the whining gets louder the faster I go, but the car never actually shifts into overdrive. If I drop it down into 3rd the whining sound goes away. I took it into the shop to be put on the scanner today and there were no codes. We took if for a ride and the guy said something about the TCC not being zero. Any ideas?
  • Hi,
    I have a 2003 Chevy Impala with 115,000 miles on it. The car has been lurching into gear when step on the gas if I am not gentle enough. The problem seems to lessen when the car has been running for a while, but never completely goes away. We took it to our mechanic today and he did a diagnostic check on it. Nothing else was wrong with it and he said that the transmission was slipping. He does not work on trasmissions, and said that it would be a very pricey repair. Does this in fact sound like a trasmission problem or could it be something else? If it is a trasmission problem, is a car with this many miles on it worth the repair or is it time to trade it in? How much are we talking about? Any help would be grealy appreciated!!! Thanks! :sick:
  • Hello all,

My 2003 Impala (100K Miles) has begun to have transmission issues; it is having trouble shifting gears. While driving, it will still eventually get to the right gear, it just hesitates when shifting up or down. And if I am doing in town driving, it doesn't seem to shift down to first. Another odd issue I have is that while driving without cruise control on, at times when I take my foot off of the accelerator, the car seems to maintain the same RPM and at times seems to accelerate. As an example, I turned the cruise control function off, accelerated to 70 mph, then took my foot off of the accelerator and coasted. It took nearly 40 seconds to drop from 70 to 60 mph on flat interstate highway. I decided to turn the car off and restart it and it seemed to correct the problem for about 45 miles and then started shifting irregularly again as it was doing prior to turning the car off. I have read many of the posts here and I think I have a decent understanding of what issues I am facing, I just wanted to present the other symptoms I was having being that they had not been addressed within this forum. Thanks for anyone taking time to read and respond!

Aaron
  • Hello everyone...This is our story. We bought our 05 impala the 3.4 model in October of 2005. The car had almost 30,000 miles on it. At the time of purchase the car seemed ok they started acting goofy. The tranny seemed like it got confused on a slight upgrade. It would have a long hard shift or pause when pulling from a stop. But no codes ran that we could see. We also started to have a shimmy or vibration problem. Took it in and found that the tires were chewed up metal showing on the inner side. Replaced all four. During tire check the guy took the car out drove it felt the lunge and ran the codes.....Ah ha CODES RUN INTERNALLY FOR TRANSMISSION! Took it into dealership dealer said insufficient data cleared codes. OCT 06 Then this spring found out the spark plugs was not replaced but had been at some point due to was not platinum plugs. Tune up done (Feb 07) With tune up found that the brake job dealership said they did was not the case. Front rotor needed replaced. Full brakes and rotors on front and rear.
    All in the mean while the Tranny kept slipping every once in a while. UP TO DATE NOW.. Two weeks ago took car in Tranny codes running p1811, p 1819. Dealer said valve solenoid and valve body bad. Had them replace it. Found cat was bad in test drive replaced that also. Still did not check out vibration in wheels. Went and replaced passanger rim due to it was bent. Helped...took off driver wheel donut on vibration stopped. Replaced rim vibration still there. Was told the cv joints are bad both sides. Others say its the alignment. Who knows tired of getting jerked around. Wish one person would say this is whats wrong this is what you need to do.

Is anyone else having the same problem? If so what can be done?
  • My 2003 is in at the dealer right now getting a NEW transmission....I've had it 4 1/2 years and it only has 63,000 miles on it. Something about the pressure something in it.....ticks me off! Shouldn't a transmission last longer than 63,000? And get this.......Chevrolet is going to pay half of the cost.....so that tells me there is SOME kind of problem with their transmissions......my half will be $1,550.00 which I really don't have....would love to be in on a class action suit. We also have an Avalanche, which has also had some issues. Definitely will NEVER buy another Chevrolet. Why can't American cars last as long as the foreign???????
  • How did you get Chevrolet to pay half cost of your new transmission?
    We recently had to get a new transmission on our 2001 Impala with 64,000 miles for all the same reasons as these other Impalas with problems postings. We were not offered any compensation from our chevy dealership/service.
  • I asked my service rep if there was anything he could do considering the age of the car and the mileage. He called me back and said the best he could do was have the transmission taken apart and diagnosed and Chevrolet would pay half. I don't really know the reason, although I think maybe the age of the car might have had something to do with it since it's only 4 1/2 years old. Maybe the age of your car prevented them from offering compensation?
  • Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I suppose age could be a reason. I wasn't smart like you and asked them. ;) Even so, this bad experience, along with other things, and reading other's problems has turned us off, unfortunately. We won't be getting another Impala after this.
  • I have a 2004 Impala 3.4 liter. the transmission shifts a little hard when I take off from a stop. This does not happen all the time but I was wondering if it could be the Pressure Solenoid.

Thanks,
    Randy
  • Randy
    I just went in to the shop w mine. sounds the same but mine has to get warmed up "driven for while". I was told by dealer that my High pressure solenoid was sticking. and to corect the thing I would need the solenoid replaced + the valve body. 9 hrs labor $1550.00 :sick:

Oldude
  • My son about a month ago purchased a 2005 Chevy Impala with around 63500 miles. He is getting poor gas mileage and was wondering does he need to change his fuel filter? Unfortunately I dont have a lot of history on the car. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • I have a 2002 Impala with the 3.8 V6 and I have over 170,000 miles on it. At about the 80,000 mile mark I experienced the same problem that you are talking about and it ended up being the catalytic converter which was still under warranty. I had it fixed in a couple of hours and haven't had a problem with the car since.

Good luck :)