Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• my 2003 impala 3.4 v6 automatic also has transmission problem . transmission was service by gm dealer @ 55000 kilometers/33000 miles (new filter and fluid)
    now @ 75000 kilometers/45000 miles transmission periodically is slow shifting into reverse then engages hard and there seems to be a shift flutter from first to second you mention class action i would like more details before i have transmission inspected/diagnosed/repaired. please reply
  • i think that this is crap! i have an 06 impala and i only have 36000 miles on it and the second i hit 36800 when my warranty was out, my transmission is now failing. i have always had chevys i have never drove anything but a chevy, and they wont do anything
  • I feel your pain. I have the same problem with my 2006 Impala SS. My first trans went out at 42,000 miles ($4,700) and now at 74,000(80% highway) I am in the same boat. The good news is for me is the second trans I paid for is under warranty. I call GM/Chevy CS line and the first time and they told me they could not help. I will tell you get it fixed and get rid of it. That is what I am going to do. I spoke with a Service manager and he told me they have a lot of problem with the trans in the 2006+ Impala SS. They trans can not handle the power. Don't get me wrong I love the car when it is running, but I am done. I will not buy a GM product due to the way they handle the issue. :mad:
  • 2007 LTZ -

Purchase dealership replaced the original tranny at 12K miles due to first gear slip.

Same initial slip problem became bad again at 49K. Took it to a different local dealership this time around and gm decided to replace the whole tranny again. (warranty is 100K on drive train in 07). Two days later same slipping from a stop. I took the car back and tech drove and recreated the problem. He said that the prior tranny was replaced due to a stripped 4th gear (not even the reason that I took the thing in).

One week later, gm is sending the now 4th tranny to be installed into this car. They tore down the new one (#3) and cannot find what part of the new one is failing. (I don't think it is the transmission, it seems like it must be something else - computer etc., but I am just guessing) Local dealer was supposedly working with gm's technical support to get this resolved. Will see what happens when #4 is installed.

Only other issue is ISS. I paid out of pocket to replace that when tranny #3 went in at 49K. ~$250 dealer did the work.

pw
  • mnielsenmnielsen Posts: 1
    I changed my transmission fluid in my 2003 Chevy Impala with only 53,000 and now after 1 week, I am experiencing a hard shift into second and vibrations at around 35 miles an hour. Can someone give me some advice....It was running great. I kick myself for changing the fluid. I went to a Valvoline instant oil change center. They told me it was because the fluid may be low. They added another pint after inspection and it still does the same thing.

Please help!!!
  • i have an 01 impala 3.4. bought it with 63,000 and now has 181,000. trans. worked fine till i had the it power flused at about 145,000. soon after started intermitant whining and hard shifting. it has done it now for almost 40,000 miles and is seemingly impossible for gm or anyone to diagnose the problem. it also started throwing up a 742 code indicating converter in failure. after 3 converters i let the last one run for nearly 20,000 miles with no drivablilty issues so there is obviously nothing wrong with the converter but in nystate i can't get the thing inspected w the lite on so arghhh. other that that i have had no issues w the car its my second in the family as well
  • dave1175dave1175 Posts: 2
    I've been having a problem with my tranny for a while now. I bought it new in July 06 and about 8 months ago I noticed that when I would back out of my driveway and then shift into drive the tranny would,what I think is slip, and suddenly jerk into gear as I stepped on the gas pedal. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does do it. I took it to the dealer and they were no help at all. They gave me the old song and dance that they drove it and it worked fine and that there were no codes present. So basically nothing happened. The funny thing, not so much, was that later that day when I backed out of a parking spot it slipped again. I also have noticed that when stopped and starting to accelerate the Rpm's seem to get up around 1800 until it actually feels like the car starts to move. I want Chevy to man up and fix this problem. I don't abuse my cars at all and the thing that irritates me the most is that I haven't even turned to 23,000 miles yet and my warranty will be up in July. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!
  • I have a 2001 impala 3.8 L 4 speed auto. I need a left front axle. when I went to buy one the dealer needed to know what gear ratio I have, there is 2 axles for this car. I thought the dealer should know but no luck. anyone with some helpful hints?
  • chev05chev05 Posts: 4
    I have a 05 chevy with about 78,000 miles . This problem has been happening with my car for 20,000 miles . Now its getting worse and Im just waiting for something major to happen and try to come up with the money . Car slips from a stop sign , but once it gets warmed up it doesn`t happen much but until that time it slips , kinda winds up and you can feel it kick it then it feels find . Anybody else out there ????
  • esco1esco1 Posts: 1
    I am having trouble out of my :lemon: tranny as well. I do have 115k miles on my Chevy impala 3.9 V6 I am so disappointed with the car. I would love to go on fussing rage but I wont. This is my first American car and because I am US Marine I would'nt to support american cars even though I have always bought Honda. Well I am paying for it now. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AMERICAN CAR AGAIN. The probllems and the cost are to great to support them when they will not take care of their customers. I have yet to have a bill under $300 dollars for the car. I do care what happens to the workers but their upper management just cost me $1,871 to have my tranny rebuilt. Not including :lemon: a water pump, thermostat and my air vent that bangs over and over again when I turn on the air or heat. The air vent will cost me 500-600 dollars.
  • buickloverbuicklover Posts: 15
    The reason people have had transmission issues after these services is because there is one key component that is not replaced during this proceedure......the Filter! I had a 2000 Buick Century with the same transmission and I had it flushed and then about a month later I started having the hard shift and whining issues. I took it to a transmission shop locally and as I started explaining the issue, he started explaining it for me and then asked me if that was what was happening to me? He said that Jiffy Lube keeps him in business as they continually sell this service. The problem as he explains it is, the backflush new fluid through the system and it cleans all components internally and than clogs up the transmission filter, which then causes fluid starvation. He said that if you do go to Jiffy lube, drive the car for about a day and then have the filter and gasket replaced. He also stated that he never recommends replacing all of the fluid in the system as it's "shocking" it with new clean fluid (transmission fluid is a great cleaner!).
  • sk2b1sk2b1 Posts: 5
    05 3.4V6 with shifting problems into 2nd- especially when cold. Much better after completely warmed up. AAMCO said plan on $2500. 2nd shop told me I had no 2nd gear, that it shifts from 1st into 3rd. Transmission will shift into 2nd when shift selector is on "2" and goes from 1st to 2nd to 3rd when on "3" and is fine on the highway. Cant afford any rebuild. Am wondering of fluid change will help or if 2nd gear is really "gone"....?
  • tra9105tra9105 Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 Impala LS with 55000 miles.........and when I back out of my driveway in the mornings and shift out of reverse into drive and press on the gas, it doesnt move and hesitates for a couple seconds then jerks when it catches 1st gear. After the car is warm, it wont do it anymore. Does anyone know the cause of this problem or what needs to be replaced?
  • sk2b1sk2b1 Posts: 5
    I have had the "slip" happen twice, but not after. I have an basic 05 3.4. Am now having issues shifting into 2nd. The last shop I went to said I had no 2nd gear, but the car will down shift into 2nd and does shift up kind of hard after warmed up. Am learning more about this tranny every day. Am going to change fluid this week and then repeat with filter change the following day. Will let you know after..... I think the new fluid/filter will help clean things out a bit and hopefully my issues will go away. Both shops I went to asked for 2K to "fix" it.
  • levellevel Posts: 28
    After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

I am suggesting we all do the same. If the new GM is going to emerge from bankruptcy on top, they must learn to address these problems and not ask us to accept them.
    After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

I am suggesting we all do the same. If the new GM is going to emerge from bankruptcy on top, they must learn to address these problems and not ask us to accept them.
    I'm having the exact same problem! My car is actually at the dealership now and they said something about the 4th clutch. I'm hoping this is not the same issue I had with my older 2000 Century. This is definately a problem with the transmission and I will let you know if they figure out what it is and actually fix it. Of course, I'm sure it will only fix it long enough for the warranty to expire!
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    I believe that you can buy a new or re conditioned tranny for $2500 or less or purchase a tranny from a written off car, just a couple of hours with a good GM mechanic after hours and you have a better tranny .
  • ddennddenn Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Impala LS with 3.8 and so does my Father, neither one of us have had any issues at all, My Wife uses the Impala as a daily driver it has 140K plus on it now, she is getting 28mpg average and the only thing I have had to replace has been the brakes she likes to drive it hard. no oil leaks, no coolant leaks, my Fathers is babied the only issue he has is the headlights are starting to yellow. he did add Brembo rotors he was not happy with the soft braking of the factory rotors.

I too have read all the complaints and wonder what people are talking about. I guess yourself my father and I are lucky. :D

After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my 2007 Impala transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my 2007 Impala transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

• :mad: I am also experiencing the same problem. I've taken my car into the Dealer a few times. I explained the car jerks and skips on take off. Very random. Does not matter if I drive 2 miles or 200 miles. It's happened in the Summer and the Winter. The Service Manager could never find a problem. Unfortunately for me, the car never does the skipping during the time its at the Dealer.

WHAT CAN I DO? PLEASE HELP
    There is a service bulletin for this. It has to do with the 4th clutch. I will find out what the service bulletin number is and reply back in the next day or so. However, even after they did the work, the problem still exist, except, it doesn't occur as often. I think before it was directly related to the temp of the engine. It seem to happen more after the car had been sitting for a while.
    Bulletin No.: 06-07-30-018

Date: August 17, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    4T65-E Launch Shudder on Acceleration, Lack of Power After 1-2 Upshift (Inspect and Replace 4th Clutch Piston and Friction Plates)

Models:
    2006 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse, Lucerne, Rendezvous, Terraza
    2006 Chevrolet Impala, Malibu SS, Malibu Maxx SS, Monte Carlo, Uplander
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, Montana SV6, G6 GTP
    2006 Saturn Relay

with 4T65-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs MN7, M15, M76)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a low speed shudder upon acceleration, usually in the 0-32 km/h (0-20 mph) range. The customer may also comment on lack of power after a 1-2 gear upshift.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be due to a binding 4th clutch piston.

Correction
    Inspect the 4th clutch piston, the seals and fiber plates. The plates may show signs of excessive heat in the center of the plate. The fiber plates may also show signs of heat in the adjacent area. Normal plates are heat treated and have a slightly dark appearance.

Replace the 4th clutch piston, seals and fiber plates as necessary. Refer to the Transmission/Transaxle section of SI.
    Thanks, sounds very useful.
  • sulacetsulacet Posts: 1
    When my car starts, it will shift into all the gears just fine. The problem comes when its supposed to shift from first to second. It revs extremely high, and doesn't grab second gear, and drops into neutral. When I pulled the codes at Autozone, it said Torque Converter. I was just needing to make sure that this is the part I actually need, and its not something else before I buy it. I also replaced the filter, and had no teeth or metal in the pan.