Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• mikey101mikey101 Posts: 1
    Hello! My car makes a whining noise between 80-90Km/h,but only while you have the gas pedal depressed..when you take your foot off,no noise. My car has been at 2 different GM dealers,and they checked wheel bearings,drivetrain,etc...but no codes,no nothing, its just the way it is.(So they say)
    My Impala is a 3.5L LT which has 63000km,I bought it when it had 24,000km and it has made that noise(which has not gotten any worse) ever since. If anyone has this problem or has heard about it I would like to thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions...cause this thursday i gotta spend $700 on my exhaust that is gone on my Impala. Trying to keep the costs down!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    I had a 2000 model that made a noise that varied with the speed of the engine (but not the speed of the car...you could put it neutral and rev it up, and the sound would change, so I knew it wasn't drivetrain related). Anyway, my problem was low power steering fluid, and the noise was the power steering pump. Once I got the fluid topped off, the noise went away. Not sure that's your problem, but if it is it's an easy (and cheap) fix.
  • nelsonrnelsonr Posts: 9
    what's up guys !! I have a couple of questions about my impala 04 with 103 k
    a couple of months ago I noticed my transmission having a hard shifting when around 20 mph and then around 30-35-40 mph . it would feel like something holding the car and then letting it go. . but today on my way home back from work in heavy traffic it started doing it driving slow and having to speed up to keep up with traffic any time I would reach around 20 mph and then around 30 before 40 mph it will do it. problem goes aways onces i am driving over 40 mph
    I drove the car almost 10 miles in traffic with the same issue.
    does anyone know what could be wrong.
    I had the trans serviced just last year.
    any advise would be appreciate. thanks :confuse:
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    I never experienced this with mine, but several people have posted having problems with their catalytic converters clogging, which caused a loss in power. With the mileage you have on your '04 that might be something to look at. And if memory serves, the catalytic converter has a longer warranty than the standard vehicle; I don't remember what the cutoff was (100k? 120k?), but if it proves to be the problem you might ask just in case it's still covered.
  • asbs9800asbs9800 Posts: 1
    I have come to realize there are some major problems with the impalas. I bought my '04 Impala in Aug 07 first the temp gauge started messing up, then the speedometer stated the same thing. Then just a couple months ago I went to have the fluid changed in the transmission and then just a couple hours after having it changed the transmission started slipping in reverse and within a couple of days it started in 1st. It shifts hard and the whining while driving is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • nelsonrnelsonr Posts: 9
    today I took my impala to the shop and they hooked it up to the drv code reading.machine but it did not throw back any codes. they did take it around in a test drive but nothing happened. I was told to bring it back next time it does it.
    at least it didn't cost me a penny cause' my wife works at the dealer ship. where I took it. I guess I am gonna have to check on the warranty for the cat converter
    anyway. for the las 3 days the cars is been working fine. sometimes I feel a little misfire when driving but nothing big . like you said maybe the cat converter is clogged. or the cheap gas im putting in.
  • jclayjclay Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 impala LS which started whining around 40,000k miles. I was told it was some worn out bearings so i figured as long as it is still shifting, i would drive it. I had the fluid and filter changed just to be on the safe side. Now my car has 72,000k and is still whining and every now and then it slams into gear when changing out. I decided to go ahead and have it checked being that i was scared to put it on the highway for fear of transmission failure plus i am still paying on the car and want it operating like it should. The dealership checked it out but did not find or could not find the problem so they say. They told me it was carbon build up. Some build up huh? Tuesday, April 1,2008 i dropped it off to the best transmission shop in town and they went in to find that my transmission pump had gone bad. Its a shame that the dealership could not find this problem. I ended up forking out$1500 for a rebuild and also had them to add a shift improvement kit to it also. They told me at the transmission shop that the trans which is a 4T65E is a weak trans with cheap parts inside. Now my trans has all medal parts and drives a lot better than before plus the trans shop owner guarantees that its a whole lot better than that junk of a trans the factory put in. I am satisfied and recommends this shop to anyone. P.S. the shift improvement kit was added just in case i decide to add some chrome shoes to it. It will hold up to 22inches with no problems. Hope this is beneficial info to you all.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    a small word of warning if you change tire sizes you MUST have the pcm updated for the tire size you are running if you do not do this the trans will shift too soon put heavy strain on the trans itself which could cause a very catastrophic failure in the trans you just had built...just a FYI
  • jclayjclay Posts: 2
    Can a performance chip update the pcm. In my case, i have the 3400 engine, so i can only find a hypertech power programmer for mine.
    no the pcm has to be recalibrated for the tire size you going to put on ...as soon as you get the tires on get the car to the dealer and get the pcm calibrated for the tire size
  • strixstrix Posts: 1
    Transmission has never been particularly smooth on the final 2-1 downshift while stopping (dealer service manage claims normal). Now the unit will randonly engage with a good clunk. Transmission fluid is obviously due for a change, but I've heard a number of stories that after this is performed, it's more likely to fail after all the gunk inside is freed up. The owners manual says its not due until 10k from where I'm at now, and the vehicle has not been operated in any of the "Severe service " categories. Considering all the other issues I've had with this vehicle (two sets of tranny cooler hoses, failed blockheater, two intake manifold gaskets etc etc) I'm not optimisitic for longevity. At least most of the intial failures were covered under warranty, but that's finished now.
    the 4T65E transaxle has quite a few issues with oil circuit integrity visit sonnax.com and look up your transmission and see if some of the complaints match yours
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    I can't seem to navigate that site properly. How do you find the symptoms section?

actually the site is really not set for symptoms its set more for dtc codes and what valves fix what issues ill be happy to help any way i can i have catalogs at my shop that address each issue by code format let me know if you need copies ill be happy to send you some bookwork mr> :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    I think I'll leave THAT level of detail to you---LOL! If I can search by dtc code that's cool,that'll help.

• broglmicbroglmic Posts: 4
    I own a 2005 Chevy impala , 62,000 miles .........Now normally tranny problems come far down the road but mine is sometimes jerks a stop sign and after you drive your car for awhile you know how your car feels . Well it just doesn`t wind out right , shifting is different . So do I get it fixed $$$ which I can`t afford because the warrenty ran out or trade it in ? Suggestions ..........or any one else with these problems..?
    take your car to a transmission shop that does free roadtest and diagnosis. have the car scanned i'd be willing to bet you will come up with a code 1811 maximum shift adapts. you have a 4T65E transaxle in your car and its very prone to this code
    So does this cost and arm & a leg or don`t you know . Is this common ? Yesterday it was shifting hard between 2nd & 3rd , sometime it does it and then you don`t see it for a day or two . Thanks Fordfan .........
    to get this vehicle repaired "CORRECTLY with all updates will run 15-2500.00 depending on where you live
    Do you know this for sure ? I will check it out , will see if your right ! Hope not....I`ll trade it in..........