Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• i have top of the 2004 impala indy ss.transmission fluid and filter change 6mnths ago at 62000 miles now have 67k.tranny is slipping sometimes any easy fixes
  • this problem could be your tie rod ends but I'm beleiving from experiance that your hubs are worn
  • sounds like you have a stretched out first gear belt I would go ahead and find a replacement trasmission or have yours rebuilt
  • sound like when you had it flushed trash was lodged in the valve or lines replacesing these should fix the problem
  • kvk10124kvk10124 Posts: 1
    I recently went on a trip about 600 miles and when we were almost there we went to fill up on gas and realized the key wouldn't go to the off position and keys wouldn't come out of the ignition. We drove the rest of the way and when we finally stopped the keys came out but only in the on position! So now my cars dash board stays on along with the radio/clock until the battery dies!!! We have been unplugging the battery when were not using it but we need to fix the problem but dont even know what it could be! Also the shifter will move freely through the gears without pushing the button in ( which it never used to do) Not sure if its the ignition or something to do with the gear shifter... PLEASE anyone have ne comments or suggestions let me hear em anything will help! Thank you! :confuse:
  • Unplug all the little and large electrical connectors and clean them with the electronics contact spray cleaner and put the connectors back and see what happens. My Impala had intermitent transmission jerking problems and now it is gone.

Those little and large connectors tends to be corroded and can cause contact problems. The electronically controlled car of these days can malfunction if one tiny electrical connection is bad. You can save thousands of dollars with a few bucks.

Share the success stories with others.
  • jthaisjthais Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala LS with 109,800 miles. I bought the car in 2005 with 32000 miles. I have never had any problems with the vehicle until about 6 months ago. I took the vehicle in for an oil change and they suggested I have the automatic transmission flushed with this machine because the fluid was dirty. Ever since the flush the transmission has started slipping. When I first get in the vehicle it runs great for about 15 or 20 minutes. As it gets hotter the the transmission will jump in and out of gear while at high speed. If I come to a stop the transmission seems to clunk as is trys to downshift. The other day I was sitting at a light and the car lurched and died as though I popped the clutch without giving the vehicle any gas. Another thing if I drive the car 10 or 15 minutes, shut it down, and then try and restart it it will jump and die. When I finally get it running the transmission will jump in and out gear as though the computer doesn't know what gear to put it in. Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,032
    Well your decision to power flush a high mileage transmission was regrettable. This is not a good thing to do in most cases.

You might scan the car's computer for transmission trouble codes and go from there. It's impossible to diagnose a modern electronic transmission from this distance.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• jthaisjthais Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    One thing I forgot to mention. After driving the impala the last time I could not get the key out. The steering wheel will not lock to allow me to remove the key. I had to disconnect the battery to keep the battery from being drained. Any ideas on how to get the key out. Also I have an appt with a transmission place on Sat to get an idea of what is going on.
    That's probably the Shift Interlock Solenoid in the steering column. Maybe it's defective or the fuse blew out. You might check all your fuses.

• sdanielsdaniel Posts: 7
    Yes you are exactly right. It was diagnosed that the catalytic converter was almost completely clogged up...Once it was replaced it drove like a brand new car!!!
  • sdanielsdaniel Posts: 7
    Hello, over the last day or so I have been experiencing what I believe to be a transmission problem. It seems that when the car changes gear from 1 to 2 it would what I would call hard shift....also from 2 to 3 it does the same. It seems that 3 to 4 is OK and no problem while in 1st.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

I appreciate any help/suggestions!

Thanks,
    Scott
  • mc4365mc4365 Posts: 1
    my 2003 impala ls won't shift gears.will go into reverse drive and neutral .transmission oil is not burnt. Any help appreciated.
  • dh271dh271 Posts: 3
    I`m replacing two shift solenoids in my transmission. I know where they are located and how to replace them but a couple of things have me confused. Does anyone have step by step directions on how to go about getting the sidecover off completely, I was close but couldn`t get the axle to pry out. I think the previous instructions I had were incorrect on detailed instructions. I have a 2004 Impala with the 3.4L. It`s either this or I pay someone $650 to $2700 to tell me it`s shot and it`s not. Thanks!
  • nicole85nicole85 Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Chevy Impala LS and my car functions properly in drive, park and neutral but not reverse. When I put my vehicle in reverse it feels like I am in park (goes nowhere). I can still put my car in drive and my car is mobile. There is no signs of "slipping" or mysterious gear switching. When I put my car in reverse, I can hear it switch gears but I do not feel the "release". What is wrong with it any suggestions??? I heard it may be some type of contol box or sensor unit that may be out of whack that is not properly sending the signal to my car that my car is now in reverse....Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!!
  • nicole85nicole85 Posts: 2
    I think you may have some insight on the issue I am having with my 2006 Chevy Impala. Please see my post #207. Any suggestions??? I need help :-(
    You might try changing the fluid and filter, to see if the filter is completely clogged.

If that doesn't do it, you probably have some kind of internal damage or internal malfunction, like a servo piston, or servo seal, or damaged clutch drum.

• steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    OK, here's the deal on the tranny lurching issue. My mom has a 2006 Impala. We brought it to the dealer for the power steering line recall. The car was fine before we brought it in.
    On the way to her place the car was lurching like crazy on the freeway. It has never done this in 4 years of ownership. The next day the check engine light came on and stayed on. Not being able to bring it back to the dealer she brought it into a local shop and they diagnosed it as the output speed sensor being bad. $191 later the car seems to be fine now.
    Now, how did this suddenly go wrong right after the work for the recall? Seems unrelated but the sensor is located near the steering components so I've heard. The Dealer screwed the car up. That's the bad news.
    The good news is I have an answer for your lurching issues-the output speed sensor. Hope this helps!
  • I have a 2001 Impala. It will not go into overdrive it just stays in 3rd at high speeds. For example when I am at say 65 MPH my tachometer is at about 2800 RPMS. It does not even try and shift to forth (there are no strange whining noises or jerky shifting problems it just won't go into overdrive.) When I let my foot off the accelerator the engine will immediately drop in RPMS to an ideling state while I continue to coast at 65+ MPH. I would welcome an answer to 1 or both questions:

1) Would it be reasonable to drive the car without overdrive. I'm ok with the fact my gas consumption will go up and I have a engine in this car with only 40K miles on it.

2) Do you think that signalling from the car is just not telling the transmission to go into overdrive. Or does it sound like something is wrong with the transmission itself

It would greatly appreciate your feedback

2)
    Well there have been issues with stripping of the splines on the 4th gear clutch shaft---best thing I could suggest is that you have the car scanned for trouble codes and see what appears---also, the scanner should be able to "force" a 4th gear shift---if it can, then you have perhaps some mechanical/electrical issue that controls the 4th gear shift---if it can't, or it says it is in 4th but there is no 4th, then it could be the worst case scenario of severe internal damage.

It's very hard to diagnose a modern transmission remotely. There has to be further testing. Hopefully, some codes will give you a hint as to where to go next with this.

• I have a 2003 impala ls the car drives fine but when at highway speeds if you step on the gas the check engine light comes on and the car will not shift out of second gear. I have no idea whats wrong with it.
    That's what the engine light is for---to give you a code, and from there, a direction for your further investigation.

• nails04nails04 Posts: 2
    hi i have a 04 impala and haveing problems with the tranny, i see alot of people are haveing the same problem, any one out there can give me some help on my car problem.
  • If this has already been answered I apologize. I have a 2001 Impala with a 4 speed auto transmission (either 4T60 or 4T65). I need to replace the torque converter clutch solenoid. Without much room to maneuver, i have the side pan off and have located on of the solenoids, possibly the 1-2 or 3-4 but I'm unsure of the exact location of the one I am looking for. Does someone have a schematic/diagram or have an exact location of this part. Thanks.
    Isn't there only one, with a wiring harness attached to it? --sort of round with the connector coming off it at a right angle?

• vytatevytate Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Chevy Impala LT 3.5 L engine (127,000 miles). Recently, when I place foot on accelerator, the car will jolt forward and then within a few minutes it loses acceleration and starts dragging. This also occurs when I am on the expressway and then I start to lose acceleration and have pulled over in the emergency lane to recover ( I get back on the road and continue and it may or may not occur again.) I took it to a local dealership to get a transmission flush. I explained what was happening and he did an off the record quick diagnostic. He said it was the transmission and it would be about $3,000 to repair and said the flush would not remedy the situation. Considered trading in. After reading Bulletin #06-07-30-023C, it appears that it was describing the exact problem that I am having. Has anyone taken their car to the dealership for repair under this bulletin and it costs this much? :sick:
    It actually doesn't sound like your symptom, unless I'm not reading you right:

It says:

"Some customers may comment on a 1-2 shift shudder at light to moderate acceleration. Typically, the throttle plate angle parameter is 12-20% at time of condition with vehicle speed of approximately 24-40 km/h (15-25 mph). The customer may describe the condition as slip or delayed shift into second."

• toni19toni19 Posts: 9
    I just bought my Impala from Tousley Ford in September. It's been in the shop longer than in my possession. Initially, the car would lurch from a stop going into 1-2 gear. They got that fixed by replacing some parts in the tranny. Well, I get the car back and have it for ONE DAY when this happens. I leave work, head to gas station, make a sharp right turn to get to the pump and I hear a loud snap, the car acts as if its in neutral when it's in drive .....so I gas up the car start it again, put it in drive and no go...step on gas and acts as if its in neutral. I have towing co. bring car back to Tousley and it sits overnight. Here is the kicker, Tousley starts it up the next morning and the car drives like its a champion. They drove it all day yesterday, tested it, all good under the hood they say. Now they want to give me the car back and I just know it's gonna happen to me again. What the heck am I going to do?? Please help if you can.
  • My 04 Impala was purchased used with a supplemental drive train warranty. I brought the vehicle to the dealership 3 times for skipping, jerking and labored shifting each time when the vehicle was returned to me I was assured the problem was repaired only to have it resurface a few weeks later each time. I have contacted GM directly and they have refused to repair the vehicle because the extended warranty has since expired. I have sent a complaint to my local Better Business Bureau and encourage anyone else who is not getting satisfaction from their respective repairs. These incidents are not isolated and we need to be heard.
  • toni19toni19 Posts: 9
    Hi Kelly,

Are you in Minnesota? I contacted a lemon law lawyer here in MN. and they will not get back to me. I am frustrated that car dealerships can tell you alot of lies and send you off w/a car that has major problems.