Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• levellevel Posts: 28
    After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

I am suggesting we all do the same. If the new GM is going to emerge from bankruptcy on top, they must learn to address these problems and not ask us to accept them.
    After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

I am suggesting we all do the same. If the new GM is going to emerge from bankruptcy on top, they must learn to address these problems and not ask us to accept them.

After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my 2007 Impala transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

After over a year in & out of dealer trying to get my 2007 Impala transmission fixed I am finally posting problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (NHTSA) as a safety issue -- Case #10270004. Safety issue because this random jerking of the transmission upon taking off in traffic, at light, or from stand still has caused: (a) my wheels to spin, (b) the car to pull into the next lane, (c) almost rear-end collision with car in front, and (d) sudden rapid acceleration pulling into garage.

• :mad: I am also experiencing the same problem. I've taken my car into the Dealer a few times. I explained the car jerks and skips on take off. Very random. Does not matter if I drive 2 miles or 200 miles. It's happened in the Summer and the Winter. The Service Manager could never find a problem. Unfortunately for me, the car never does the skipping during the time its at the Dealer.

WHAT CAN I DO? PLEASE HELP
  • buickloverbuicklover Posts: 15
    There is a service bulletin for this. It has to do with the 4th clutch. I will find out what the service bulletin number is and reply back in the next day or so. However, even after they did the work, the problem still exist, except, it doesn't occur as often. I think before it was directly related to the temp of the engine. It seem to happen more after the car had been sitting for a while.
  • buickloverbuicklover Posts: 15
    Bulletin No.: 06-07-30-018

Date: August 17, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    4T65-E Launch Shudder on Acceleration, Lack of Power After 1-2 Upshift (Inspect and Replace 4th Clutch Piston and Friction Plates)

Models:
    2006 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse, Lucerne, Rendezvous, Terraza
    2006 Chevrolet Impala, Malibu SS, Malibu Maxx SS, Monte Carlo, Uplander
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, Montana SV6, G6 GTP
    2006 Saturn Relay

with 4T65-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs MN7, M15, M76)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a low speed shudder upon acceleration, usually in the 0-32 km/h (0-20 mph) range. The customer may also comment on lack of power after a 1-2 gear upshift.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be due to a binding 4th clutch piston.

Correction
    Inspect the 4th clutch piston, the seals and fiber plates. The plates may show signs of excessive heat in the center of the plate. The fiber plates may also show signs of heat in the adjacent area. Normal plates are heat treated and have a slightly dark appearance.

Replace the 4th clutch piston, seals and fiber plates as necessary. Refer to the Transmission/Transaxle section of SI.
    Thanks, sounds very useful.
  • sulacetsulacet Posts: 1
    When my car starts, it will shift into all the gears just fine. The problem comes when its supposed to shift from first to second. It revs extremely high, and doesn't grab second gear, and drops into neutral. When I pulled the codes at Autozone, it said Torque Converter. I was just needing to make sure that this is the part I actually need, and its not something else before I buy it. I also replaced the filter, and had no teeth or metal in the pan.
  • I have the exact same problem. My '07 Impala currently has 60,000 miles and this transmission/clutch problem started around 35k miles. The car does several random things. The car can be hot or cold, weather hot or cold and when stopped at a light and accelerating from the light, the RPMs will get up to around 2k before it 'pops' into gear and lurches forward. I have almost rear ended cars in front of me. And I don't even try to jump out into traffic any more because I never know if I'll have a car under me. I find that by pumping the accelerator several times, that it will cause the gears to engage. It also shutters at times, almost as if when driving a manual transmission you start out in 2nd gear instead of first. My local dealer can NEVER get these problems to duplicate, which in their opinion means it doesn't happen. They even suggested that maybe it was my driving style causing my traction control to engage and that was what I was feeling. No lights on the dash, no codes at the dealer, no duplication at the dealer. Has anybody found the answer yet?? Have had multiple other problems with this car from early on. Headlights flashing dim/bright; vibrating noise in front tweeter that goes away when turn signal turned on; bad gaskets on door; bad key fob - all defects eventually found and fixed at local dealer, but never right away.
  • Same problem here. Okay where should I start this car has way too many problems. When I just bought the car out of the dealer I felt it jerk like the week later it was just a couple times so I didn't panic. I called the "it's ok you have a warranty" so it didn't happen anymore for a while getting straight to the point transmission went out and a piece broke and I had metal all in the transmission 3400 to fix. Finally came up with the money then now 2 weeks later my car is acting up again still jerkin when I press on the gas if I'm at a stop then take off it will kick you can even hear the tires screech the road,battery dies quickly, and its having electrical problems so I have to take it back to the shop
  • I know its been a while.. But my problem was a bad Solenoid. I had all three replaced for about 768$, and my car has been running fine since. Every place I went told me i needed a new transmission but all that was nonsense. I hope you got that taken care of.
  • Hey I had the same issue on my 03 Chevy impala, it was a bad Solenoid. These things are common in this car. ZEvery shop told me I needed a new transmission, which was bull.. I got all of my solenoids replaced and my car has been fine since. That was in November of 08 I got it fixed.
  • Hey I had the same issue on my 03 Chevy impala, it was a bad Solenoid. These things are common in this car. ZEvery shop told me I needed a new transmission, which was bull.. I got all of my solenoids replaced and my car has been fine since. That was in November of 08 I got it fixed.
  • I am having the same problem on my 2006 LTZ. Did you ever find out the problem?

Larry
  • If you are referring to the strange issues I'm having when shifting into drive after backing up, no, the service bulletin did not fix my car. It was better and didn't do it as often, but it still does it. I now just backup slowly, wait 2 seconds, and shift into drive. I'm at a loss! The shift patterns of this transmission are horrible. When slowing down to go around a corner and then giving it gas, it hunts for the right gear. I hate this transmission!!!
  • I am referring to the problem with the initial accelleration, say from a stplight. Does this every once in a while. Cannot duplicate it at the dealer. I took it in for them to look at it and document transmission problems because 100,000 mile warranty is coming up soon. I would love to find out what's causing this problem of the transmission not catching.

Larry