Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

Comments

• toni19toni19 Posts: 9
    Hello,

I did get the problem fixed. Mine was jumping gear right from 1st after a stop. It was a tranny issue. They had to replace a few solonoids and it solved the problem. The job normally can run 1500, but I got mine done alot cheaper cause it was right after I purchased the car and I was so angry that was happening.
    Now I have a 'whistling' sound every time I accelerate and that's driving me crazy. I am going to get that checked out soon.
  • klm005klm005 Posts: 2
    I did get my problem resolved. It was a simple fuel filter. However, I have been advised to get my transmission fluid and filter replaced soon. After reading about everyone's problems, I am afraid to touch anything! Also, my speakers on my radio do not work at all (since I had the head gasket replaced.) It is obvious the radio is on because it shows what song is playing, but no sound.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,081
    toni19,

Please keep us posted on any information regarding the whistling sound.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Hi Caron,

I have an appt this Friday to have it checked out I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks !
    Toni
    Toni,

Glad to hear you have an appointment on Friday. I look forward to hearing from you after the appointment.

Thank you,
    Good morning !

I brought it in and they could find nothing wrong with it. How odd. I guess that is very good news, no money out of my pocket, but I am still hearing the whistling noise whenever I accelerate and it stops when I let off.
    toni19,

Thank you for the update and I am glad to hear there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. If you still have concerns, please feel free to get a second opinion.

Thank you,
  • army_guy1army_guy1 Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I have a 2003 Impala LS and it has a knocking coming from the transmission housing cant figure it out i would figure if it had a bearing going out it would leak fluid???? Maybe im just mechanically stupid. Has anyone had this problem before or know what it could be. Any input would be awesome.
    thank you
  • army_guy1army_guy1 Posts: 2
    Found out that the fly-wheel is cracked might explain the noise. Going to replace the torque converter while I have the engine out. Also the engine is getting new seal's and gaskets plus a new water pump and while i have it torn down ill be looking at the wear and tear so far it looks great for 160,000mi. :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,834
    Nope, a crack in the flywheel couldn't cause that noise. It would have disintegrated and come through your floor if the crack was that bad.

Little cracks in a flywheel are not uncommon at all. Take it to a machine shop and let them evaluate it. Most often, a flywheel with cracks in it can be resurfaced and used again.

• hideehidee Posts: 1
    I would NOT have this done unless it is really necessary and the mechanic knows what he's doing. I replaced my trans and a few years later had the trans flushed. What a mistake, ever since, it was occasionally jerking. The 'oil change' place that did the flush, just put trans fluid in each time I complained. 3 years later - I'm in the process of getting a new 'used' transmission at the low price of $2k!!! 2 trans, 3 catalytic converters and a number of other replacements...I'm so done! sorry to vent, but it's not JUST the car, but the shop/mechanic that does it that makes a huge difference on the problems!
  • derek6223derek6223 Posts: 1
    I don't know if this is the right forum, but my 2004 Impala has started jerking at certain speeds as well. I'm not sure if it's the transmission or not but it has 145,000 miles on it. However it started doing this after I washed the engine area at a car wash. If related to washing the engine, what was the most likely part damaged by the washing of the engine at the car wash?
  • i have a 2003 impala ls and my car USE to do that for about 2 months. my brakes were getting bad and i was driving home one night and i felt a big boom like i hit something except i could feel it was something to do with the car. after that night i got new brakes and everything but my car started to make that same annoying noise! it got louder and then stayed the same untill one day it just didnt make that noise anymore. im not suggesting anything just letting you know your not the only one and i hope its nothing serious....hopfully your noise stops too!
  • I have a 2005 impala, that i purchased in 2006. ive never had a problem with it except for replacing the water pump 3 years ago. Today my check engine light comes on (2 weeks after my last oil change) all of a sudden and the car starts jumping. Couldn't get it to reverse, had to put it in neutral and roll backwards. I put it in drive and although it moved, it felt like it was way more effort. It took a while to get up to a decent speed, then i stop at a light and i have to start all over. My dad took it up to auto zone and they said i had 6 transmission codes! but 600$ dollars just to have a look at it, c'mon! Please help!
  • tman823tman823 Posts: 1
    I have owned Chevy's since 1968 and I am sorry to say that I have had enough. With only 105,000 miles on my 2005 Impala, I had to replace the transmission. It started shifting hard for no apparent reason. I had it taken in to a reputable transmission shop and he told me that he does more more Impala's business than any other car. This is my first and last front wheel drive car also. I still have the old 1993 Caprice out in the back yard as my backup car. It only has 299,325 miles on it, but it is stone reliable. The transmission guy told me that the 2003 model has a bullit proff transmission, but in 2004 chevy changed something and he makes a good living on this model. Impala owners beware, because it sounds like this is something that may have been recalled.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    It was most likely just a defective module. My mother's Impala started doing that and she brought it to a shop and it cost about $300 to fix.
    Sorry but I think you got ripped off
  • Cracked flexplates (not actually a flywheel) on automatic transmissions are common. They tend to bang like a rod knock and don't come apart. Usually, they crack around the crankshaft flange where they're bolted to the crank.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,834
    Hadn't thought of the flex plate, if that's what he meant. My recollection though, was that flex plates,when they crack, give off a rather higher, metallic noise, not a heavy thumping. It's a fairly thin piece of metal after all.

• I bought a 04 impala used with only 53000 had for 2 weeks tranny went bad is now being rebuilt by the dealer !!! Lucky me i have a warrenty this will be the last time that i buy a American car and i had always swore on Chevy but it seems like they make them not to last !!!!!

Junk
  • sexyt26sexyt26 Posts: 1
    i am having thw same promblem with my car i have put 2 in my car this is bull chevy forreall yall ripe offs
  • dolomitemandolomiteman Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Having the same tranny problems with a 2008 LTZ Impala. Trans slips or shutters when starting out from a stop. Can get real scary when trying to
    accelerate into high speed traffic from a full stop. Problem started (intermittently) shortly after 30,000 miles. Vehicle has been to the dealership 4 times to address this intermittent slip or shutter and each time
    I was told that there was nothing wrong with the transmission. Dealer said
    that maybe its the way I drive and even suggested I try a different brand of gasoline!! My wife will no long drive the car because she feels unsafe due
    to the fact that the problem is intermittent and seems to be getting worse when it happens. I've have been a GM person all my adult life, but after the
    lack luster response from the dealership, I will be looking elsewhere for my
    new "ride." For what its worth, I have a 2004 GMC Denali that needed a
    trans rebuilt at 47,000 miles. GM doesn't build them like they use to and apparently don't want to stand behind their products either!! Very sad!
  • Hi All,

I've a 2006 Chevy Impala LS was driving fine and my wife had a fender bender. When she was pulling off of the service station lot a car back-up into the front drivers side. The car ran fine. She park it in the garage and the next morning it would not go in any gear. You can hear it click when shift it but want move at all. Would this happen from the accident or is something else would cause this all of a sutton?
  • impalabtoimpalabto Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    bought on o4 impala last fall and now the tranny is acting up. When i start out from a roll or a compete stop the tranny will sometimes hesitate then slam into gear. Doesnt always do it but it seems to be getting worse and doing it more throughout the driving range. A tranny shop pulled the pan off and it was sludged up on the bottom of the pan and he said that that meant that there were parts wearing out.
    According to carfax history the tranny was flushed at 70k but no filter change.
    The car now has 96k I bought it at 92k. I hope its that pressure modular but the tranny guys are saying that it needs to be overhauled at $1500 -2000. May consider a GM factory rebuilt or a Jasper???

anyhone else having this issue??? I suppose GM isnt doing anything about it???
  • also have 04 impala.having the same problem was told it was the pressure module or a electronic part by a tranny shop was told 2500.00 for a rebuid 12month warranty only have 78000 miles.gm knows about problem no recalls the speedometer also seems to be a issue with this car mine got stuck at 45 mph had replaced for400.00 dealer said known problem but on speedo recall is only on the 04 suvs.
  • Hello, I am a 05 Impala owner, I purchase it in 08. It only had 35000 miles. Starting having problems within months but would periodly disappear. It does not happen all the time but is getting worse. When going into passing gear there is a strong kick,also going up hills. I have put gas treatment changed filters and transmission fluid. A friend of mine told me that her Impala's transmission was slipping. She said that all Impalas were doing that. If anyone can hep,or give me a number to GM would greatly appreciate it.
  • mine has been doing it for about a year and mine is a 2004 i had a tranny flush but come to find out they didnt even change the filter which is the most important thing. they said that could possibly fix it if not it needs rebuilt, also my ABS system and my traction active is now messing up they said if i replace my hub bearing on the passenger front that will fix the problem because the sensor is bad, its 300 per side but i can buy the part for 90.00 and my dad can fix it so hopefully i dont have to spend a arm and a leg.
  • have same problem with tranny still not fixed only slips sometimes.my abs and traction light came on had a problem with the sensor on the brake master cylinder.you can try to unplug clean and plug back in sometimes its just a bad connection.
  • g729bg729b Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on a 2006 Impala LT3 model. It started at about 70k and now I'm at 80K.
    I spoke to my mecahanic at the dealership where i purchased it and he admitted there is a known issue with the transmission. There is an intenal valve body piston in the transmission. The bore of the piston tends to wear out causing improper fluid pressure to flow through causing the hesitations and jerking. This could be fixed by replacing the piston if the damage is not too extensive. If not then a rebuilt or certified new transmisson will run $2700-$3200. If this is a known issue then GM/Chevrolet should be doing some kind of full re-call or at least a partial re-call on this issue. This not good. I have had tree major repairs to this vehicle in the last two years. First it was the cooling mainfold and water pump. Then the rack and steering pump. Unfortunately the rack and pump went out after warranty. Now I'm stuck with this issue and still have balance due on my loan. If GM wanted to take our money for a bail out then they need to return the favor for the faulty labor on this car!!!!
  • I minds well chime in. I have a 2005 Impala we bought used with 50k miles on it. Ran great but started noticing an occasional slip after coming to a stop and then would 'chunk' in with a hard jolt. It seems to be happening more often now. There are literally thousands of stories out there about this known issue (not only in this forum). Any news on a recall for this? Come on GM. Do the right thing :-)

I'm suprised someone hasen't been hurt in an accident related to this problem. I could easily see someone sitting at a stop sign while waiting to turn into traffic...they get on it to blend into traffic and then find themselves 'LAUNCHED' into the wrong lane. Almost happened to me yesterday. Scary.
  • dh271dh271 Posts: 3
    I own a 2004 and have had almost every common issue all the other Impalas have had. I take very good care of my car, etc. Transmission has been replaced due to the hard shifting and finally it gave up the ghost, clunk in steering column, gas gauge died (replaced sending unit, wasn`t the problem though), multi switch on column for high beam headlights is touch and go, I don`t use brights because I may lose any headlights I have for a few seconds. Subframe bushings replaced, both front wheel bearing hub assemblies, blower motor and recently a bad Body Control Module...yada yada.
    I would junk this car but I borrowed on it to repair it, everything is new but the motor.....uh oh!