Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon XM and Sirius Radio

Comments

• cms1528cms1528 Posts: 45
    I installed the factory satellite radio in my 06 avalon myself. The parts guy gave me a print out of the installation instructions and you can do it yourself, just take your time and you'll be ok.

I went with Sirius, they offer a pay once, $500, for a lifetime service. You can change out your radio at least three times under that aggrement without penalty. The Sirius ant. attaches to the windshield and is basically out of sight. I love it, it integrates into the JBL system easily. The sound quality is great too.
  • niteoneniteone Posts: 41
    " installed the factory satellite radio in my 06 avalon myself. The parts guy gave me a print out of the installation instructions and you can do it yourself, just take your time and you'll be ok.

I went with Sirius, they offer a pay once, $500, for a lifetime service. You can change out your radio at least three times under that aggrement without penalty. The Sirius ant. attaches to the windshield and is basically out of sight. I love it, it integrates into the JBL system easily. The sound quality is great too. "

how much was the unit? how long did it take you to install? Did you get the unit from a toyota dealer?
  • niteoneniteone Posts: 41
    for anyone thinking of installing XM from Toyota...here's a link someone found that could save you money.

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3969
    sorry to take so long to reply, if i remember correctly the system was between 3 and 4 hundred, it comes in two parts. the antenna and the receiving unit. it took me about two hours to do the install. yea the instructions are intimidating to look at but once your into it you will see that is is not too difficult. one thing however, toyota will say you need a panel removal tool from them. i bet it cost a bundle, i bought one from a local car parts retailer for about $4.00.
  • Has anyone had experience with installing a satellite radio in a 2002 Avalon XLS with the JBL option? I would prefer Sirius. Is there any satellite connectors on the head unit? Can I use the window antenna? Thanks much!
  • I know you cant use the window antenna for sure
  • usf89usf89 Posts: 1
    I just purchased the Sirius Sportster and want to hardwire it to my 2005 Avalon XL. I have no idea how to hardwire it and don't even know if my stereo has a hookup for it since it is not the JBL system. I want to take it out and have a look, but don't know how to get it out. Do you know where I could find the installation instructions online or did you by chance scan them onto your computer?? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Casey
  • vicmvicm Posts: 18
    Have my 05 Limited 18 months, did not have XM radio. Now planing to have it installed. I have read almost all the messages pertaining to XM on this forum. Would like an update. Does the 06 have the antennae on the trunk? Does the 06 XM kit fit the 05 Limited. Or are they the same add on kits? The Toyota dealer quotes 499 plus tax. Asked the same questions as above and they didn't know what the kit had.
    The kit for the 05 and 06 are the same, but know this the antenna can be interchanged with any type of satellite antenna. You can buy one at circuit city, best buy and plug it into the black box in the trunk and then put it most anywhere in you car or on it you like. Good luck
  • vicmvicm Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info. I'll be checking out Circuit City this weekend.
  • Would appreciate suggestions to incorporate either XM or Sirius reception inot or add on my 04 XLS with JBL premium system- 6 CD changer, audio tape.
  • goateegoatee Posts: 51
    Purchased my 06 Avy XLS IN 11/05 with factory installed Sirius (it's actually on the factory sticker). Had trouble from day 1 - Only the left side speakers would work. The dealer blamed the Sirius and who blamed Toyota. It went back and forth a few times until Toyota installed a new "chip" in the trunk. All was well until today and I noticed the same problem over again. Can only hear the satellite on the left speakers. FM/AM, CD are all ok. Any suggestions here?? By the way - I love the Sirius lineup.
  • I installed the sirius in my limited myself. I was losing the signal all the time for extended periods. dealer gave me a new black box and no problems since.

The way its hooked up should have no effect on your speakers, I mean that the wire harness plugs into the rear of the radio. That harness comes from the black box, so it has no bearing on the speakers (at least you would think).

Seems to me that there is a bad connection inside the radio. Any way if you are getting a sirius signal and its coming out of a speaker than its not the black box. has to be in the radio. Nevertheless the dealer should give you a new radio if your under warranty. Good Luck
  • I installed a Sirius tuner in my 2007 Subaru Impreza last weekend and have the same problem where only the left side speakers produce sound (for the most part). Occasionally left and right will work, but it is off and on. My Sirus tuner is connected to a JVC head unit and eveything (CD, FM, Line In) else works perfectly with all speakers. This leads me to believe that it is most likely the Sirius tuner and not the JVC unit. It could be the cable as well ... all of the connections have been checked and are fine. I am getting a replacement Sirius unit.

Just wondering how you made out on your problem and if you replaced the Sirius tuner or if it was something else?

Cheers.
    K
  • goateegoatee Posts: 51
    Brought it into the dealer last Saturday. The Toyota technician said that it was definitely the Sirius receiver and ordered a new unit. This will be the third Sirius unit to be installed. I tried to argue to have both the head unit and satellite units replaced since this is the exact same problem I had when the car was delivered, but he would not go for it. I will keep you updated.

Happy Holidays
  • A local Eugene, OR shop, Soundsational Car Audio, just installed a Sirius Starbase SFM1 system in my 04 XLS. I had the cigarette lighter/ashtray assembly cut out and removed, placing the head unit there in a way that allowed me to retain the little cover assembly- outasite when I park at the local mall! Since I don't smoke and the car has a 115 AC outlet, I haven't lost anything. The antenna, a very small item, is magnet mounted forward on the trunk- very unobtrusive.
  • Would it be possible if you still have the information and instructions for installing the system, that you could send them to me ? I've got a 2005 Avalon and would like to install one myself. If you don't, maybe you could give me a number to call for the installation instructions.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    e-mail....sidelinesigns@comcast.net
  • I finally got a replacement Sirius receiver myself and swapped it out ... works perfectly now. I also noticed that the new unit was made by "Eriksen" and the first unit was made by "Directed" ... both look identical. Makes me wonder if Sirius had a bunch of problems with one manufacturer and made a change themselves? Pure speculation, but it sounds like the units have a very high failure rate out of the box considering you are on your third unit.

Merry Christmas.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Here's my update regarding the Sirius Radio problem. The new Sirius receiver was installed today (receiver #3). I still have the same problem - only with sound from the left side speakers. All other modes work just fine in all speakers except the satellite. The technician spend more than 2 hours trying to figuire this out including a very long call to some tech center in California for Toyota dealers. He traced all the wiring to each speaker and said they are all fine. Now they are ordering me a new "head unit." Just like I tried to tell them in the first place. And the beat goes on. I don't know what I will do if this doesnt work. The car is 13 months old now. Keep everyone updated after the new head unit is installed which I am sure will require quite a bit of dash dismantling.
    Thanks all...
  • Wow, that really sucks. Sounds like it must be the head unit... assuming they replaced the cable between the Sirus receiver and the head unit somewhere along the way. Sorry to hear you had to go through such a painful experience with a new car, and a Toyota to boot.

Good luck & Happy New Year.