Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Wheels and Tires

Comments

• I chose the 3LT also, 3.9 felt much stronger than the 3.5. I got rid of the 17" Eagle LS's for Michelin Pilot Sport AS, since the handling of the 3LT wasn't up to par with my recently totaled 99 Maxima (worked suspension, I just thought all cars handled as well as it did, boy was I wrong). It's better now.

Anybody know of a good shock/spring setup for the 06 Impala 3LT?
  • Keep in mind that treadwear ratings are not regulated in any way and are used more for marketing than anything else.

The Goodyear RS-A is a pretty mediocre tire. The BFG KDWS is a better tire for a lot less money, but still mediocre.

The Kumho Ecsta ASX is another step up from the KDWS, and getting into the range of "pretty good," for a bit more money.

For about the same money as the RS-As, the Michelin
    Pilot Sport A/S will simply blow the doors off of the RS-A.

If you don't require ANY snow capability, or are willing to swap snow tires when snow season comes, which is the best choice anyway, a Summer tire can give you another step up from even the best All/Seasons.

For less than the RS-A, you can put a set of Goodyear F1 GS-D3s on, which will simply amaze you, in comparison to the RS-As. The F1 is probably the best all-around summer tire on the market, with some tires giving slightly better performance in some areas, but coming nowhere near in others.

If you are wanting to save a chunk of change though, the Kumho Ecsta SPT is pretty darn good though.
  • garsarnogarsarno Posts: 72
    The treadwear ratings, esp on Michelin X radials, never let me down. Hey, for $99 per tire for the BFG, if their mediocre performance matches the RSA mediocre for less than 1/2 the cost, mediocre is fine for me. To pay $200+ per tire and they only last 10,000 - 15,000 miles, the cost per mile is too high. The Goodyear RSA tires in 226/60 X 16 size were standard equipment on my 1998 Lumina LTZ and they lasted about 19,000 miles.
  • I've owned High Performance and Ultra-High Performance tires with ratings from 400 down to 220. Based on the ratings, the 400 should have lasted nearly twice as long as the 220, but they've all been at the wear bars within 1,000-2,000 miles of each other.

I agree on the KDWS vs RS-A question. A better tire for 1/2 the price is a no brainer. I'm just saying that for a little more, you can get an even better tire. Personally, I tend to go for the best I can get, within reason. I yanked the stock Pirelli P6s off of my Focus ST a week after I bought it and put a set of GS-D3s on it.

The only reason I did not do the same with the KDWSs that were on my '96 Impala when I bought it was because I thought it was a good tire. I was absolutely floored when I put a set of Kumho 712s on it.

It still amazes me that car makers put crap tires on cars. Put on a good set of tires and it transforms the car. There is no easier way to dramatically improve a car's handling than by swapping on a good set of tires, unless you've got a rare car that actually came with good ones.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    I'll ditto the Michelin Pilot Sports...we put a set on my wife's '03 Accord EX and they made a world of difference over the OE tires.

Alternatively, the last set of tires I put on my '00 Impala I decided to go with less of a performance tire and something more econimical (hoping for better gas mileage). I opted for Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires, which have a mileage rating of 700. They are good, quiet tires for the most part, and they're lasting/wearing very well. BUT traction under moderate acceleration is pretty poor. One of the reasons I chose these tires were their ratings on tirerack.com, especially for wet stopping (figuring with most of my driving in town that was the most vital stat in terms of avoiding an accident). But whereas I couldn't spin the wheels except on wet pavement with my old tires (Birdgestone Potenza RE910s), I can spin the Turanzas at will on dry pavement, and have to be careful when pulling out when it's wet.
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    My .02...the RSAs are mediocre but I will say they're better than the Goodyears I've had over the last 20 years. They're still not up to the point where I'd replace them, though.

I will give the Michelin Pilots my nod. I bought a set of them about 15 yrs ago when they first came on the market and was very pleased as I have been with every Michelin tire I have purchased. The problem with Michelin is that the word is out and now their prices match their performance. But, at least with them, you get what you pay for (unlike Goodyear).

The last set of tires I bought were Bridgestone Turanza LS-H for my '02 Monte Carlo SS and they were awesome compared to the Goodyears they replaced. Absolutely amazing in the rain and great in all other conditions as well. My sister bought another model Bridgestone tire for her car but they were crap. I just mention that to say that brand isn't everything.

I've also heard great things about the value of Kuhmo but have yet to try a set. Maybe once these RSA have run their course, I'll give them a shot. :)
  • 2407greg2407greg Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy some new wheels and tires for my Impala. I was wanting to know when this was done if you have to put the tire pressure sensors on the new wheels. I also am wondering if anyone has purchased new tire sensors and what the price for these would be. If I have to have the sensors on the new wheels then I might just buy new ones that way I dont have to keep switching them from the new wheels to the factory wheels because I will use the factory wheels during the winter time. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
  • ronnybuckronnybuck Posts: 3
    I have a Impala '07 LS. We now 5600 miles on it. The only complaint I have is a shaking in the right front passenger side. It is more noticeable at and around 40 mph. I had the dealer check it when the car had 1200 miles and they put it on some vibration machine and said it was in normal specs. Still did it and when we took car back for computer software upgrade dealing with the E85 Fuel I ask them to please check the balance of the tires. They did and said the right front was out of balance. This seemed to fix it but after about 500 miles the problem is back. It feels like when the tires were nylon and polyester and after sitting for a while it would have a flat spot until after driving and the tires warmed up. Radial I thought was supposed to eliminate this. The tires are Goodyear Integr-TV or TY P225-60R16. Now I am hearing a slapping sound that I had on 92 Olds Ciera due to cupping which was caused by weak shocks on the rear. Once it starts it gets worse. I had the shocks replaced and new tires and everything was OK. Could I just have a bad tire on the Impala. We are close to 6000 miles and going to have them rotated at 7500 if I can stand it to see if the problem goes to another wheel.
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    What Tire pressures are you running? I have a '06 LTZ with the Goodyear Eagle 225X17 tires, and the pillar sticker says I should be running 30PSI. However, when I went to the Goodyear web-site, Goodyears recommends 40PSI for these tires. I run 36PSI in the fronts, and 34PSI in the rears, and that combo seems to run great. The ride is slightly harsher, but the tires run flawlessly, and the handling is a bit better. I have noticed a couple of times, on real hot days, where the DCI flashes a message that the tires are overinflated and have reached as high as 42PSI on the fronts, but that is still well within the safety range, according to Goodyear.
    The car companies always recommend a lower inflation because it makes the car ride "smoother and softer", but I would rather have the handling and better tire wear that higher inflations give. Plus, if the tires are not fully inflated, they will always tend to "flat spot" after sitting for any period of time.
  • Thanks for the info. The readouts are saying 28-29 pounds. It's real hot here and I will increase like you say to see what happens. Will let you know.
  • Added air to about 34 pounds and display says 36. Problem still exists and does not do it all the time. Will find out more when tires are rotated. Now have problem with acceleration stalling. Like it is not getting gas. One thing after the other. Should have kept the Lumina.
  • 06, 07, possibily 08 Impalas (LS)
    regarding the goodyear integrity tires put on these units. specifically, 225/60-16 97s or 97t.
    looking for information.
    I've seen a large number of these tires placed on the LS model, these are supposed to be like 50K tires.
    What I've seen, is that all these units are having problems with these tires, specifically, erosion of the shoulders (inside tread) of about an inch or so towards the center of the tread, leading to exposure of steel belts, bad ride, and acutally at times acute blowouts. They never go beyond 30 K without some serious consideration about tire safety.
    I'm talking maybe 200+ units here.
    Many of these units have been sent in for alignment check, most of them are way out.
    This by independent dealers, as well as GM dealerships themselves.
    Personally, I'm thinking GM has delivered a crappy product, and are not willing to stand behind their product...
    Or, maybe, just maybe, it's a goodyear problem?

any feedback would be appreciated...

thanks
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    Original equipment tires are usually crap. I have seen the Integrity on more expensive cars so don't feel too bad. I run them for 2 years and then replace with something good. :surprise:

I replaced my Impala Badyears with Kumho std touring tire, much smoother and quieter and about half the price as replacement Badyears. So, I don't have to worry about getting 50K miles out of them.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    The Goodyear Eagle RS-A 235/50-18 tires that came with my 2006 Impala SS are excellent tires. The handle well in both wet and dry conditions and the wear is quite acceptable. I have no complaints whatsoever about them.
  • I have Gooodyear on my 08 LTZ. At 6000iles, no unusual wear. I keep them inflated, and watch folr unusual wear. I have original Goodyears on my 03 Buick Le Sabre. At 49000 miles I will be replacing them next spring. No unusual wear. My 00 Impala had Goodyears and were no problem when I sold it at about 40000 miles. I have no problems with Goodyear. Currious that the person in post#1 knows that all 200 plus units have erosion of the shoulders? I wonder how this will create a bad ride? What is an acute blow out? Doesn't sound plausable to me.
  • I know this because I'm seeing it, every working day. At the moment, we have about 30 LSs idle, simply bedcause of this situation. (mileage is 15/30 K)
    We have about 250/300 07/08 LS Impalas in our fleet.
    I might mention however, I am just questioning the LS, the LT and LTZ are demonstrating no problems.
    It creates a bad ride, for eventually it goes down, into, and through the steel belt.
    An acute blow out, is where the tire essentially disintegrates, leaving little but the bead around the rim.
  • I replaced my 06 Impala LT1 Tiires at 25k miles. The goodyear integrity tires are not the best. Wear was on outside of front tires. I rotated every 8k miles. They could of lasted a little longer but I like to be safe. Replacement tires seem to be wearing fine after 7k miles.
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Posts: 133
    Tires on mine are really bad. I started complaining about the noise and a bounce/vibration within 2 months of purchase. Dealer said normal, nothing wrong. They started wearing and dealer said I needed a rotation. Rotated. Still wearing quickly, dealer said no alignment needed. Would not check balance or anything. Finally said I missed a rotation and that was what was wearing the tires. Two tire companies said the wear problem was due to alignment and that it had probably been misaligned since manufactured. Dealer still says it's my fault.
  • quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    I know the latest thread is about the LS tires but I thought I'd give my opinion on the subject. My '06 SS has the GoodYear RS-A, 235/50-18 and I would give them a decent rating. They were much better than expected when new but now at 30K, the treadwear looks fine but they are really bad in wet weather. Sadly, this doesn't suprise me as I have had terrible luck with GoodYears. The set on my '02 Monte Carlo, I believe they were also RS-As, were terrible from day one. Two of them turned out to be defective (out of round) and were replaced. I suspected the remaining two were also out of round but they were "within specs" and weren't replaced. After those tires wore, I replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs and was very pleased. Aside from the money I'll spend, I'm looking forward to changing the tires currently on my car. If anyone out there has had some good luck with replacement for the SS' tires, please share. ;)
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. They rank very highly on the Tire Rack site. I am going to consider them when it comes time for tire replacement although I must say I have not had any trouble with the Goodyear RS-A's which came stock on the car.
  • hey I am a new owner of an 06 impala SS and I am thinking about putting rims on the ride but concerned how they would effect the TPMS (tire pressure managment system). Any advice?
  • gwis1gwis1 Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase summer-only tires and am looking for a good step up from stock.
    I would like 40K miles from these with better handling while still maintaining a quiet comfortable ride. Tires need to perform well in rain.
    Budget not beyond $250 ea.
    Suggestions ?
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    Last Fall, one of the original Goodyear Eagles on my 2006 LTZ developed a "thump" on one of the tires. I quickly found the tread starting to separate on one of the front tires....after only about 30K miles. I started tire shopping, and settled on the Big O Euro Tour 225/55 R17. These cost me about $775 for a set of 4, mounted and balanced...with an 80K warranty, nationwide service at hundreds of locations, and free balance and rotation every 5K. So far, they are great. The first thing I noticed was far stronger side walls than the original Goodyears....those things always looked like they were inflated low, even at 34 pounds. They run fairly quiet, and handle very well in semi aggressive driving through tight turns, etc. I seldom use this car on snow, but the tread is deep enough such that they are ok for light snow. For my money, this brand of tire is the equal or better than some costing substantially more. The Big O name may not be as "chic" as, say, Michelin, but I long ago learned to shop for value, and not just Name.
  • hacker8hacker8 Posts: 1
    To anyone interested in Goodyear tires and Impala cars, I have run the whole gauntlet of problems and learned a lot.
    I bought a 07 Impala and at 25000 miles the inside of the rear tires were wearing. It also had a growling noise, but they told me it was regular wheel noise. The back tires were replaced and alignment checked.
    I went merrily on my way with a slight thumping at about 40 mph and again at about 80 mph ( since balance shows up at about 70, I was sure it wasn't balance).
    At 55000 miles the inside of the rear tires were wore so bad that the steel cords were showing on the left rear. I was in Arizona on vacation at the time so I stopped at Arizona Frame and Wheel and had them check out the problem. They said there was no alignment adjustment left, and the thumping was because the tires were out of round. I went back to a GM dealer with this info and $250 dollars later, the adjustment holes were slotted and the alignment was done. I replaced the Goodyear with Michelins and my problems were gone with absolutely no help from General Motors or Goodyear. I don't know which one is worse, but they are both crappy.
  • jdvalkjdvalk Posts: 1
    About time! I had multiple sets of tires wear down (the first time almost causing accidents for me before seeing the interior wear) and eat the cost of the tires. I finally had to go further out of pocket and demand that the police package rear spindle rods fix be applied to my car, whereupon the issues ceased. If anyone is having this problem, I'd recommend they have the same repair done and save their receipts!
  • kbagskbags Posts: 1
    On May 31, 2011 a Chevy Dealer in Tampa, FL "repaired" the rear alignment issue on my 2008 Impala (36,000 miles) by grinding down the rear struts. The Chevy folks charged me $255.00 for the realignment. At first they were not going to reimburse me for the repairs, but after a letter to Mr. Ackerson, and the submission of a class action suit, the Customer Service people in Detroit decided to offer me reimbursement. I'm not convinced the grinding of the rear struts did anything other than compromise the structural integrity of the struts.
  • Had the same thing happen to my 2008 Chevy Impala LS with 42,000 miles. Tires were rotated regularly every 6K miles. Noticed the inside and outside of all the tires was wearing out, tread in the middle looked good. Was told a few months back at the Chevy dealership the tires were out of balance, charged $45 to re-balance the tires. Didn't make much sense to me. Had a flat tire on the right rear tire today. Decided to replace the entire set. Went to a national tire chain company and had the alignment checked. Was informed that the rear camber was -1.2 degrees, which is out of spec. Was told there was no adjustment other than to slot the bolt hole in the strut to allow to realign it back within spec. Was charged an extra $100 dollars for the work; not counting the tires and fees, and alignment. Car has never been wrecked or mistreated. Had a 2003 Chevy Venture and never had this problem.
  • Frustrated with a chronic problem of my four alloy wheels on the 04 impala SS flaking on the inside and oxidizing. This causes leakage in the tires, which chronically have slow leaks. I have been told I cannot substitute smaller wheels or tires because it would ruin the transmission. Except for this I have had no real problems for 100k miles. But this is a game ender for me. Does anyone know of any substitute less expensive wheels and tires I can replace the factory ones with. The fac tory wheels cost over $ 250 each, just like the tires. Please help Thanks. :sick: