Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX Tires and Wheels

124»

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    You bet. I got them at Discount Tire in Federal Way on Pac Hwy (around 312th, I believe). I paid $107 each for 215/40-17.

They stored my wheels for me while we waited for the tires to be delivered, where very careful handling my polished lips, dealt with my spacers and hubcentric rings with no problem, and hand torqued my lug nuts to 80 lbs in a criss-cross pattern as I requested.

Good group of guys over there.

• Sweet. Right around the corner from my house. I'll give 'em a holler. Looks like my only option is the 225/45's on the OEM wheels.
    For the Pirelli's I'm afraid so. You still have a somewhat limited selection in the TSX's original size. Of course, I wouldn't complain about adding 10mm of tread width - it'll only improve grip.

I'd like to drive your car again after you get them. Turn-in is awesome - they will utterly transform your already nicely modified TSX.
  • I'll let you know when I get new rubber. I've added a Progress RSB since you drove my car, another incremental step up in handling, and I'm interested to see what tires will do. Understeer was nicely reduced with the RSB, but now the tires are squawking louder than ever - time for them to go. Seems like improving suspension components only does more to expose a given tires weaknesses.

My only real concern with the 225/45's is the lower profile, and the bigger wheel gap I'll likely get. Not a big deal, and probably not that noticeable.

I like that you think the tires "will utterly transform" the car. That sounds really good. :D I'll probably look at the Kumhos also (OEM size), but Tirerack really liked the PZeros.
    Profile won't change with the new tires because the sidewall number is a factor of the width of the tread. In other words, a 225/45 tire is virtually identical in sidewall height to a 215/50 tire.

Here's a great link to help you calculate tire profiles and speed corrections...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • Hey, Brian, based on yours and jogee's recommendation, I finally broke down and purchased a set of the PZero Nero M&S's this last Saturday from Discount Tire in Federal Way. They had the tires in stock, and I was out of there in about an hour. As usual, the service at Discount was very good, and they matched the Tirerack price of $129/tire (down from their price of $154). I got the 225/45 17's, and this switchover comes with 21K miles on my TSX.

Initial impressions are good. I watched while they installed the rubber, and was immediately taken by how much more agressive the tires looked that the OEM Michelins. One thing I learned quickly though, is that new tires do have a bit of a run-in period. I asked the kid who gave me my keys if there was anything I needed to do to break the tires in, and he said no, just get in the car and go. Wrong answer. I headed down to Dash Point road to test 'em out, and nearly spun the car out in the first turn I took, at like 30mph. :surprise:

I've been taking it easy ever since :D

I also went back to Discount and told them they should watch what they tell people. That could get them in trouble. No biggie. VSA saved my bacon! ;)

One other thing, the sidewall size is similar (4 versus 4.2 inches) but not the same as stock. Some of the hard-earned wheel gap reduction I gained with the A-Spec suspension is lost. Not a lot, but noticeable.

As for driving, turning and turn-in are better, and ride and noise are similar to what I had. Wet performance isn't as good so far, but the tires only have about 45 miles on them, hardly any of those miles on dry roads. I'd be interested to hear opinions on how many miles are needed on new tires before their full performance is realized.

Will post more as I get the full impression of these tires. Fedlaw, you're welcome to drive the car, which now has A-Spec suspension, 22mm RSB and new rubber, just let me know.

I am done with suspension mods! :P :shades:
    Yeah John, they should have warned you.

There is some kind of coating on the rubber (kind of like a semi-gloss armor all), which wears off almost immediately, but the little nubbies sticking up won't wear off for a few miles.

Running Dash Point Rd with brand-new tires on a rainy day is just asking for trouble. Glad you had the nanny protecting you.

Give it a couple hundred miles and try again. I would very much like to drive your car again with the new tires - maybe we could meet up in Federal Way, trade cars, and do Dash Point Rd at 8/10ths?
  • Sounds like a great idea, Brian. How about we keep an eye out for what looks to be a dry weekend day, then go from there? I'll keep in touch, but if you see a day that looks good for you, let me know. I have a feeling your schedule is a bit busier than mine, with the fam and all.

BTW, I wouldn't have guessed 200 miles for run-in, so I'll just take it easy for a while.

Thanks,
    John
    Mine still have some nubbies near the shoulders - and believe me, I've tried to ground them down!

Sounds good. We'll keep in touch.
  • jammdjammd Posts: 2
    Lots of discussion here about changing tires to improve the harsh ride of a TSX. Has anyone gone in whole hog and downsized to a set of 16" wheels and 205/60 - 16 all season performance tires? A smaller wheel and more sidewall rubber should make a significant improvement in comfort. If so, what tire did you choose and what were the results. Granted cornering grip will suffer, but for some of us it may be a trade off we're willing to make.
  • copseyalcopseyal Posts: 36
    I went the same route and replaced the Michelin OEM's with Yoko AV4S. Reasonable price and I don't actually get concerned with driving when conditions arent ideal anymore. I have no idea who decided the Pilots were good tires in anything other than ideal conditions??? :confuse:
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    They last a long time. :P
  • constantconstant Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 TSX with the A-spec suspension kit only. Once I drove a car with the A-spec, I was immediately sold on getting it. I am curious if anyone knows what exactly is in the A-spec suspension kit. I hear the springs are different. What about the struts, stabilizer bars, etc.?

I also opted to switch out the stock Michelins with Pirelli Zero Nero M&S 225/45/17's. Judging by this thread, there is no reason to go to find 215/50/17's or 225/50/17's. What is the rationale in going to 225/45/17? Thanks in advance for any responses.
    The A-spec suspension consists of shocks and springs only. The wheels and aero kit are added to the full package (and a huge waste of money IMO).

The rationale for choosing 225/45-17 over 215/50-17 is primarily because there are so few tire choices in the OE size. Adding 225mm wide tires to your search opens up a lot more selection - especially in summer compound tires.
  • constantconstant Posts: 2
    Fedlawman:

Thanks for the information. Does the dealer need to do an alignment after the suspension kit and 225/45-17's are installed? Thanks.
    Yes. The tires have no effect, but the drop in ride height changes suspension geometry.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    a certified-pre-owned 2007 TSX with 24,000 miles, and it appears to still have the original Michelin tires. I have a feeling they will wear down to the point that I will need new tires in about 6 or 9 months.

On TireRack, I see Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires for $119/each, Yokohama Avid ENVigor tires for $117 each, and BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sports for $122 each.

Any recommendations out there? The Continentals and the BF Goodrich seem to have pretty decent review ratings, but the Yokohama is a new tire and has no user reviews as of yet.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I replaced the original Michelin tires on my 06 tsx at 74,000 miles (thread was at 4/32 on all 4 tires. I have them rotated and balance every other oil change. I now have Yokohama avid vs tires-not overly impressed with them. My car now has almost 107,000 problem free miles. excellent car.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I'm just curious, what did you keep your cold PSI at for all four tires that you were able to get that many miles out of them? I've never been able to get more than 30 or 40k miles out of grand touring tires and that is keeping them at 34 or 35 PSI cold?
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    32 PSI when cold
  • billym3billym3 Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    New to this site, looking to replace pilot HX MXM4 michelin radial XSE 215/50/17's with hankook optimo H727 using a 225/55/17 size tire. is this alright? Reviews seem pretty good, not to costly, very good snow and ice ratings which is needed for WV winters w/o changing tires and 100k on the treadwear (supposedly). don't think this size will affect to much other than spedo. Looking for any comments concerning fit, ride... also, bought certified used from dealed w/3k and owner had some extras put on so not sure if it has the upgraded suspension kit installed as mentioned as optional. How can I tell if this was added to the vehical? Owner also had the current tires put on so not sure if these are the stock wheels either.
    Thanks, very informative site!
    225/55-17 is a little big (both wider and taller than stock).

I'd look for a better match - either a 215/50-17 or 225/50-17. Lots of fine all-season tires to choose from in that size.
  • Yeah, I was hoping to try the hankook's, I saw a post about the ratio being a difference between height and width, so thought it might be similar.
    Thanks for the input fedlawman
  • mnesmnes Posts: 1
    I need to replace a front Acura TSX chrome wheel which has been dented by a curb. Apparently it is beyond repair. My question is does anyone know an alternative to purchasing a brand new wheel for 500+ bucks at the Acura shop. The Acura tech actually suggested Ebay but is there a reputable company out there? Not sure I trust websites like 'Hotwheels" or the other internet companies...
  • did you try looking on either the acurazine or tsx club websites.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,900
    Try wheelcollision.com.

They refurbish wheels and my boss has used them for his Audi a couple of times.

They have a retail price as well as an "exchange" price.

Good Luck.
  • If you're in Chicagoland area Wheel Tech in Highland Park does a great job of fixing rims. I had my MDX "curbed" rim fixed and standard price was $110. Made it look like brand new. He has great website under www.wheel-tech.com
    His website says he can even "weld fill" if it is gouged too deep.
124»
This discussion has been closed.