Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Fuse and Electrical Problems

Comments

• greatcarsgreatcars Posts: 66
    Sounds like wiring misconnection. Not difficult to fix but you need to be familiar with the car and the alarm system.
  • statto1statto1 Posts: 1
    I have a VW Passat 2003 old model and this is my first posting. Mechanics are fine but have two electric problems. 1) No power to CD radio (original VW model) 2) Outside temperature reading on Climate control reads minus figures constantly even though temp outside is way above freezing. Explained symptoms to a local independent electrical guy and he recommended going to authorized dealer. I don't want to be ripped off at £50 per hour and was wondering if this is an easily fixable problem.

Thanks

Statto1
  • wacky90wacky90 Posts: 1
    Boy what a situation with my Passat. :cry:
    For some odd reason the interior lights and the dashboard lights will not come on. I have checked the fuses and tested them, They are all fine. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or help for this annoying problem?
    The local VW Dealer/Service station said," Oh that could be anything!"

Yikes! :surprise:

I would appreciate any kind of help.
  • I have a 99 passat and i had just put $950 dollars into the dang thing for the ignition control module, valve cover gasket, and a variety of other things. Needless to say i'm tired of putting money into this car. Plus the nearest volkswagen service center is 250 miles away. So anyways when the switch for the air conditioner is turned to positions one through three the blower does not kick on the "AC light" is illuminated and the radiator fan kicks on. Also when the switch is on one through three the condenser is cooling the air but just not being blown. When you turn the switch one step further (to position 4) the blower kicks on, the AC light turns off and the air gets progressively warmer as the condenser warms up (turns off). Is this just the switch going bad? A Relay? please help me with this. Thanks :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • I have read through the postings and I wanted to run this by the people here also though.

I haven't checked the CCM yet but here is what I have.

99 VW Passat turbo manual trans.

The sunroof will open when I hit a bump, usually just the venting portion but at times the whole thing will slide open. I can stop and close it but bumping the sunroof selector.

The right turn signal usually does not work on the front indicator, a few times it does.

My LCD display on my speedometer does not always display the full numbers, I have 90976 miles and most of the time it just shows the 76. Same thing on the trip.

Today, first time this has happened, the alarm started going off. Haven't explored that much but I have the car unlocked and it has stopped.

Any ideas? And is the CCM located under the passenger side carpet? :confuse:

Thanks for any help on this. Hopefully I can fix this myself or it will not be too expensive. :)
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    And is the CCM located under the passenger side carpet?

Actually, I think it's on the left (US driver's) side.
  • Opps, Yes I should have stated that the car was in the US, left handed drive.
  • bbtkbbtk Posts: 1
    Just bought a used 2000 Passat 118,000 miles. Here is the situation. I can start it 50 to 75 time with no problems, then I will go out, try to start it and it won't do anything, no lights, nothing. It is a stick by the way. I will let it sit for a while, yank the steering wheel around, push the clutch in and out in no particular order and then it will start sometimes, I can push it and jump start it every time but this off and on thing is just too much. The cycle just keeps repeating itself. I am afraid to take it to a dealer for fear that it will cost an arm and a leg. Can anyone help?
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    I would find a private VW mechanic. Avoid the dealership at all costs after the warranty period expires.

BTW - It may be one of two items:

1) The battery. Check the eye on the battery and make sure its green. If the eye isn't green, you need a new battery.

2) The ignition switch. If you have too many keys on the same keychain as your ignition key, the extra weight hanging on that keychain will cause pre-mature wear on the ignition switch over time. This applies to any make and model of automobile. The only key that should be in the ignition switch is the ignition key. Remove all unnecessary keys and/or miscellaneous items from the keychain.

I gave my wife this advice when she bought her 2003 Passat, and she follows it to the "T". She keeps her ignition key separate from the rest of her keys.

Once you get your ignition switch replaced, as long as you follow this advice, this will no longer be an issue...

Hope this helps...
  • Both master key remotes for my 2003 Passat stopped working at the same time. Won't lock/unlock the doors, open trunk or control the alarm. I checked all the fuses and they Ohm out fine. Seems like it has to be on the vehicle end since both remotes quit working at the same time but since the fuses check out, I don't know where to start looking. I tried to the reprogramming steps in the manual but neither method helped. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • blake8blake8 Posts: 1
    In a huge rush I incorrectly connected the jumper cables on my ‘01 Passat. Not noticing that I had just done it tried to start the car.
    Now the car will not start at all.
    I checked the all the fuses and did find 1 that was broken. That may solve the ABS problem once it’s running again.
    I am aware that this can cook the ECU. What else is there that can be damaged. What else should I be look for?
    Thanks in advance for any advise.
  • fox7190fox7190 Posts: 1
    I was putting a window regulater in my passenger front door and I put the window down and now none of the windows work, the interior lights, head lights, don't work and the car will not turn over. I checked all the fuses and they were alright and I have a book and it said that it could be a possible relay but the book does not show or tell what relay is for what. They all have numbers on them but no way to tell which one controls light, windows, and starting of the car. If anyone has any info please let me know. Thank you
  • rdaniel1rdaniel1 Posts: 1
    Over the last 5 weeks my Passat has been to the dealer 5 times for the same problem. The turn signals will work for 2-3 days and they will stop all of a sudden. The 4-way flashers continue to function. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • caronjcaronj Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Passat with a push-in key. The e-brake is stuck on and the car cannot get out of park. When the key is in positions 1-3 of starting it, there isn't any electrical items turning on. The overhead lights and the picture of the car will turn on showing the door is open etc. but not stereo. The key can move from positions 1-3 but CANT get removed out of the ignition. The dealer can't get the key out and are looking for help too. What's up and how can I fix it?
  • sebby27sebby27 Posts: 4
    I have a 98 1.8T Passat

My friend and I installed a K&N air intake yesterday and we unplugged the negative terminal battery because we tought we needed too... (still dont know if we had too but he had to for his 96 audi A4 and it turned out fine)

we connected the intake perfectly but then went to go start the car and it turns on and acts like it stalls (its tiptronic).
    after 30 seconds the car shuts off.
    i drove it down my street starting it every 30 seconds but it drives really bad and shakes the entire time we drive it and the battery and check engine lights are on and the radio is in safe mode and has the number 1000.
    Now i dont know the code... and i dont have the sound system book either because i got the car used and it just simply never came with 1....

what do i do?!?!?

that car is my life
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Put the factory intake back on and return the K&N.
  • bomecanobomecano Posts: 2
    hi if you jump start your car and it start it it 100% your batterie some time the batterie does that on the volks
  • bomecanobomecano Posts: 2
    hi you have to change the light bulb on the ac control unit pool out the knob and the front plate and the light are there
  • mybedellmybedell Posts: 1
    hey mandy i'm having the same problem with my 99 passat what did u do to fix the problem?
  • Hi,
    I have contacted you previously and no doubt you saved my loads of cash by letting me know how to change the dash light bulbs in my vw passat.

I have a bit of a problem, well a major one in this case.
    I have a VW PASSAT 2000 (W reg). and all of a sudden the wing mirrors have got a problem. when i twist the little joystick on the driver side to the left wing mirror position i can adjust the wing mirror fine. but when i do the same for the right wing mirror, the left wing mirror also adjusts. i dont know why this is happening.
    I opened the little joystick holder: removed it from its fitting in the car and cleaned it, checked it but the problems still there. the clips & pins are all fine. i assume its a fuse problem or something. and didnt know what else to do.
    I would be very grateful if you could help me out with this problem. as the last time i needed help you sent me a site with pictures showing me what to do. very helpful. i hope you will not disapoint me this time either.
    Sorry, didnt know how to get the posts up, last time i typed the problem in google and went to the page where i could type the problem. i saved your address but couldnt find the question posting page hense getting my problem to you this way. please do respond.
    Thanx