Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Fuse and Electrical Problems

Comments

• altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    It's not a "bug", it's a feature. In the US GLX model, the mirrors do that. They're supposed to, IIRC. It's a system by which they are coordinated so that when another driver adjusts the mirrors, they move in sync.

Check your owner's manual on setting them individually. I have a GLS model (my mirrors don't do anything fancy), so I can't help you any more than this.
  • regggieregggie Posts: 1
    We replaced the hardware and the windows would not operate properly all the windows stopped working the sunroof,radio,ABS what the beep is going on. Checked all the fuses with a FLUKE meter the next time I will visually check every fuse.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    You'll need to post more info to get a reasonable response. What hardware did you replace?
  • melohellomelohello Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Passat and as I reached the city limits, I was passing another vehicle and all of sudden my inside cabin goes humid and no cool air is coming out. I freaked a bit, rolled my windows down and went home. An hour or so later, I leave home to go to the store and to see if its working, I turn my a/c on and its working again, so I was like OK, it's working. When I leave for work the next morning, no cool air, and thus, I have gone for 3 days without a/c in my car and I live in south Mississippi and we're in the middle of a hot summer...YIKES!

My hubby took the car to two mechanics in town, in order to avoid taking it to the dealership. The first put it on the gauge and said that I was completely out of freon, then when he turned the vehicle on and had it connected to the gauge it read that I did have freon so he speculated that it could be an electrical problem. He then took it to a second location and they claimed that I had freon in it, but it seems that my compressor continues to run even after the car has been cut off. I'm not sure, but I think they also told him that the compressor continues to run while the car is on and never shuts off. I know my a/c still blows out air, but none of its cool.

How is this an electrical issue? What could be the possible problems? Has anyone else had this trouble? :confuse:
  • dsnbdsnb Posts: 1
    Help. I have a 2001.5 VW GLS Passat. 3 days ago I could not get the trunk to open. Tried the release placed on the drivers side door, nothing. Now the car won't lock even when I try manually. This morning put the key in the ignition, nothing. All lights on dash go on, radio plays, head lights work. Any ideas???
  • I have a 1999 Passat GLX and I have the exact problems you have experienced. The trunk thing and the intermittent problem of the car not starting and then if we wait for minutes sometimes hours it starts and we have no problem. The first time it did this was two years ago, then a year ago and then 3 months ago and then twice this week. I am desperate for a solution and worry if I take it to the dealership it will be thousands of dollars IF they can figure it out. I can't believe someone else has both these identical problems. Would love to know the solution before I go the shop for repairs! Thanks,
  • Guys,

Many of the reported issues sound similar to an issue I've had with my Passat..

There's a 10amp fuse that controls the windows and the alarm system (which also controls the ignition system).. don't recall the exact fuse, but it's in the bank of smaller fuses up top and the fuse card displays the windows and the engine I believe.. the manual discusses fuses, descriptions, and amperages in more detail... if you blow that fuse for some reason, not only will the windows not function, but the car will not start since it also controls the alarm system..and subsequently kills the ignition.. replace this fuse and the car should start...

This fuse has blow on me several times.. intermittently.. go figure..

One thing to add.. one time that fuse blew multiple replacements and left me stuck out driving... On a whim, I put the clutch in, turned the ignition key to start, held it there, and then inserted a new fuse... in that situation the car started and the fuse did not blow... and hasn't blown again since.. go figure.. not sure why it would not blow in that situation, but if you ever have this issue, give it a try..
  • rickjbrickjb Posts: 1
    2006 Passat 2.06 Turbo Runs great, last month or two, intermittently you push in the key it cranks, seems to start, you let go of the key and it dies. It takes maybe 10 tries, maybe 5 and then it starts normally and runs great. Anything you do with the gas pedal makes no difference. It never dies and idles fine after it starts. Does it when it is hot or cold, with the tank full or not, totally intermittent.
  • Last week both my 1 year old headlights burn out aty the same time.
    Four days later my battery is dead.
    I replaced all.
    This week the new battery is going dead and the key comes out of the hole red hot.
    Key hole itself is red hot.
    Everything else in the car electrically is working perfect. Driving lights, fog lights, etc.
    It would seem that there is short in the ignition switch draining the battery or causing a draw while the car is not is use.

So why the headlights both burning out at the same time?

Any ideas?
  • Does anyone have the correct locations for the right and left fuse panels? The description in the owners manuals mentions fuses not in my panels. I am specifically interested in the fuse for the front right headlight (dipped beam).
  • Hi,

I have a 2003 Passat V6 MT. Here is the situation:

1.Wednesday: Wouldn't turn over- just the click click of the starter. AAA gave me a jump; started right away. I then drove aimlessly for half an hour trying to charge the battery. Got home, parked; tried to start again, no luck.
    2.Thursday: Got another jump and drove to the shop, where they checked the battery and said it wouldn't hold a charge. New Interstate battery; also, changed the cabin air filter while they were at it. Drove around a bit, made several stops. No issues after new battery.
    3. Friday: Ran a few errands, no issues.
    4. Saturday: Went out for a few hours, on the way home the instrument panel started flashing random fault lights and beeping at me. Pulled into the driveay and turned off the engine. Immediately tried to start the engine and it is dead- this time not even the click click of the starter. No accessories working, very dim interior lights only.
    5. Sunday: Wake up, try the car and it starts no problem! Go to the museum, get in the car to go home and click click. Got a jump and drove it straight to the shop, where it is sitting because it is Sunday.

Sorry about the lengthy description. Here are some thoughts.

1. If there was an issue with the alt and the battery was not being recharged, I probably wouldn't have been able to start the car this morning after a seemingly very dead battery yesterday.
    2. It has been a very dry summer in MN, but raining these last few days.
    3. I do recall at some point seeing some water in the trunk, sort of made a mental note that it was odd and then forgot about it.

So I have been reading all the informative posts and noticing a trend with the fuel control module and the CCM being affected by moisture...thinking is it a coincidence that the problems of the last 2 days occurred on rainy days?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
  • My turn signals and emergency flasher are not working. I am convinced that the flasher relay needs to be replaced. After searching in vain to find the location of the relay I went to the dealer to buy the flasher relay. It turns out that the emergency flasher switch and relay are one unit. My problem now is I don't know how to remove the dash panel in order to replace the the flasher. I tried removing the glove compartment thinking that I can get access to the back of the relay but I could not even get my hand in there. Can anyone tell me how to remove the dash panel? Or is there another way of replacing this switch (without going to the dealer)?
  • To: johnrbek
    THANK YOU. I found the fuse you described - it was blown - replaced it, and everything works... except...
    following my installation of a replacement fuse, I started the car (successfully), then turned it off and exited the car. Used my key button to unlock all the doors, and went to put some tools away. Within a minute, the car beeped all by itself, and all the doors were locked! I tried this three times; car will not stay unlocked for more than a minute! Soooo, the underlying problem causing the blown fuse is still out there. But, again, thanks - you have saved me mucho mula.
  • The Jetta's and Passat's have a security feature that when you unlock the door/s and then don't actually open the door/s the car automatically locks itself back after a few seconds. I believe this is to protect you from unwittingly unlocking the door/s as you walk away from your car leaving your car vulnerable.
  • My dad just found a website that describes the replacement process step by step (my mom's car is doing the same thing). He found it at ehow.com. I noticed that Recalls had been instituted for the same years of cars for Volkswagens GTI and Jetta. And just like the Passat, the relay and Hazard Flasher were one unit. One would think that VW would be willing to replace this as well since NHTSA considers turn signals a safety item.
  • My Passat randomly turns on warning indicators i.e. door is open, airbag fault, steering wheel fault, low tire pressure, etc. When this happens the doors lock and the car will not unlock. If i shut off the car, it will not restart. In 1.5-2hours the car resets itself and is fine for another 3 or 4 weeks. The dealership says their are no fault codes. Is anyone else having this problem? :cry: :lemon:
  • Hello,

This morning, I tried to unlock my car but to no avail. I tried to start it and nothing. No lights, either. Basically it was dead. I just got a new battery so I'm pretty sure it's a problem w/the fuse as discussed.

So, I opened the fuse box to see which one was blown...the only question is how can I tell? They all looked okay. I'm assuming they look like a light bulb when they burn out, but I'm probably wrong. Need help. Thanks.
  • Just replaced the blinker switch on my steering column this week. After switch it out. I realized that now the blinkers and windshield wiper both don't work. I believe that I probably blew a relay of fuse. The fuses are all fine but where is the relays for the blinker & wipers? Are they both run off the same relay??
  • Thought it might be battery, so took it out (it's a new battery). The shop recharged it so now I'm thinking...alternator? Maybe the alternator drained the battery.
  • I am not sure where the wiper relay is but the turn signal relay is incorporated with the emergency flasher switch on the dash (at least on my 2000 Passat). I had a problem with the turn signals and could not find the relay switch. I just went to the volkswagen dealer and ordered it. Turned out the 4-way flasher switch and turn signal relay is one and the same. Just order the wiper relay. Once you have it you will know what to look for. However, the two relays going bad at the same time is highly unlikely. There may be another problem.