Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Fuse and Electrical Problems

Comments

• My car shuts off at random. It could be stopped at a red light or at a stop sign or driving 30 mph. I have no idea what is going on. Now i don't want to sound stupid, but I'm a 22 year old girl who knows nothing about cars. So i cant really tell you much other then that it stops when it feels like it, and I have to restart it again. It has never stopped when i was going over like 45mph though if that helps. I hope you can help me before I go to a mechanic and they screw me over for all my money. WHATS WRONG?? HELP??
  • folbfolb Posts: 54
    Do you get any warning lites? What engine?
  • I have the same problem on my 1997 Passat TDI. Any responses yet?
  • finvr6finvr6 Posts: 1
    i had same problem in my similar car and solution was an 15 amps fuse number 21
    if i remember it right,try that!
  • mdpughmdpugh Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Passat W8. Today, I am experiencing electrical problems. My remote key does not open the doors or the trunk (the battery was just changed). My gas gauge does not register the amount of gas in the tank (Just filled it). On my dashboard, the top spot that shows radio/cd/tape deck info is now blank. As I was driving today the dashboard lit up and everything was reset (clock, trip odometer). I cannot adjust the mirrors and the controls on the steering wheel (radio and cruise control) do not work. I have a little over 117,000 miles on the vehicle.
    HELP!!!
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    So all this went south immediately after the battery was changed? I mean, on the first start after the new battery was put in? Not days later?
  • mdpughmdpugh Posts: 3
    I tried replacing fuse 21 and that didnt fix the problem. I encountered another problem - when I started the car, the radio came on in "safe" mode and then got a reading of 1000. My book says to enter the code on my radio card - the radio card is blank - no numbers. Is there another code I can use to get my radio to work?
  • My son has a 1997 VW Passat. The battery was changed and a new interstate battery installed. We cannot get the battery to stop draining. Within a few hours the battery is dead. I have noticed a "pump" running just on the right hand side of the motor (looking at motor) at the top and just below a circular electrical connection about the size of a tennis ball. IF you unplug the 5 amp fuse located just in front of the windsheild washer reservoir, the "pump" shuts off. I can disconnect the battery and it cuts off and stays off. If you unplug and replace the 5 amp fuse the pump continues to run. How long is the pump supposed to run and would it hurt to unplug the 5 amp fuse to keep the battery from draining? Thanks
    When the battery dies or you disconnect the battery, the radio will go into safe mode. You have to remove the radio and get the serial number and call or go by a VW dealer to get the code to install to get it to work. Haven't found my electrical issue yet with the battery drain. I wouldn't disconnect the fuse. It obviously has a purpose. There must be something else wrong.
    Until you find the problem, I wouldn't unplug the fuse. It has a purpose. Remove the neg. battery cable each time you stop the car. Pain but works.
  • I have a 2003 VW Passat wagon. The battery keeps dying. I've noticed that the Odometer and clock stay on all the time. Key removed, car off. Any ideas?
    Not positive but I think they are LCD and use minimal power. Unless something is wrong with it.
    Did you every get an answer to the battery drain issue? Mine does too.
  • hey same problem do you no where or what to spray?
  • We have a 2004 Passat and the vanity lights as well as the lights for the heat controls in the center console aren't working. We can't find a guide to the fuse box so we're not sure if it is a fuse or something else? Any suggestions?
  • Passats are bad for this..and my mechanic said there is nothing you can do about it..sorry i wish there was
    I was reading some more on this. I "HEAR" that you have to use a VW battery, I've read there can be a draw from the radio if the testing tool used to test for....... can't remember....... and the test is not terminated first. The radio then has a higher draw. Also the terminal on the starter solenoid get loose and has to be tightened. try those things and try to get on Alldata website normally reserved for mechanics and dealers.
  • I just fixed this problem on my 1999 Passat, it was the key switch. About $60 at VW or $15 at NAPA parts.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Did both problems start simultaneously?

There are online directions for replacing the bulb behind the HVAC plate (assuming this is the manual control not the climatronic one). Google "HVAC light Passat" and you'll find those.

Does your vehicle have the homelink system built into the visor? There is a relationship between that and having the vanity lights go out.

Does the rest of your electronics work, like the cruise control?

Post more info and let's see what we can figure out.
  • Thanks altair4! We'll check out your suggestion regarding replacing the bulb. We just recently got the car so it was already a problem we didn't discover when buying it. The dealer said they would fix it but I'd like to have an idea what it entails before bringing it. If it was a simple fix like a fuse or a bulb, we can just take care of it. We do have the homelink but haven't programmed it and so far, everything else is fine.