Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Hey billyo1,

Did you ever figure what was wrong with this?? I have two 2001 with this problem and on top of that both have battery drains happenign too!!! I had the radiator replaced, water pump, thermastat checked and everything else in the one and no luck. Scary part is is when I have the system flused they both work for about a day or so and they just stop working????? Let me know as I would appreciate any help!!! Thanks in advance! Joe
  • It mostprobably is thermostat it is hung open and not allowing coolant to reach temp. Take to aindependent repair shop check with someone you know. Should not cost $200.00
  • hchu1hchu1 Posts: 17
    If it is your thermostat, replacing it yourself would cost you $6-$12, depending on the thermostat you choose. It's not difficult and in a position readily accesible. So, if you're handy, you can a lot of money. :)
  • ISS: = Intermediate Steering Shaft
  • kcdkcd Posts: 6
    06 Impala LS has slight rattle/sputter that is noticeable when accelerating from dead stop/low speed. It's not noticeable during hi-speed acceleration. Any ideas?
  • hchu1hchu1 Posts: 17
    Have the dealer check the catalytic converter.
  • The Low Tire Pressure light keeps coming on when I add air to my tires. Had to take it back twice and the dealer reset the alarm...it is a lengthy process where they have to use a magnet and such. I have a 2005 LS. Good Luck!!
  • Are you resetting the tire pressure monitor via the radio when you add air? If not, this will cause the tire pressure light to come on. Any time you adjust the tire pressure you should reset the monitor, otherwise the system should sense the difference and register an error.
    I took the service advisor at the dealership on a test ride and he called it a flutter, maybe a belt on the engine, but they were booked today so I'm taking it back tomorrow.

There was a very similar post on another thread (from search of term "flutter"): "...It's kind of like a fluttering. It is noticeable and a bit annoying...The worse moments are coming around a corner when the vehicle has decelerated and then you want to accelerate coming out of the turn...From what I have read there is not much to be done; this has something to do with the computer controlled throttle and transmission...."

I'm hoping that my problem is one that they can fix.
  • fziofzio Posts: 1
    I have the same vehicle and it had the same symptoms... Since I didn't have time to get into it, I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday morning.
    -Faulty thermastat (stuck open) caused engine to run cold.
    -Module (PCM) senses faulty thermastat function and reacts for worst case
    >... fans set to run all the time like engine is very hot... but it's not
    > .... engine runs even cooler.
    When you pulled the fuse for the PCM, you likely reset error codes in yours ... until it detects the faulty thermastat operation again.
    Hope this helps.
  • I have a 2003 Impala with 31K on it and now it's leaking coolant. The dealership says the Intake Manifold needs RESEALING and will cost $500.00. Thankfully, I'm still under warranty. However, I am very disappointed in this development. They are treating me quite well, but is this a fix or will it develope again down the road at my expense?? (Additionally, I have an extended warranty).
    Anyone have any advise or information about this type of problem?? It makes me think 'Japanese' again.
  • Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Car runs great now. Thanks!
  • I have a 04' Impala that just had the transmission replace only 2 months ago. Last week I notice the transmission was jerking pretty hard when shifting. Also noticed that I was leaking some kind of fluid. So I assumed that it was my transmission again. Well after examining the engine I noticed a major leak in the radiator hose. But at the time I was thinking that is was leaking transmission fluid. So I had it looked at. And apparently my radiator is shot. Meaning that my radiator coolant is now mixed together with my brand new transmission fluid.

Can somebody explain to me how that happens? Is it hard to replace the radiator? Can I expect to fix anything else besides having the transmission flushed?
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    This intake manifold gasket problem is universal on all GM 3.4L and 3.8L V6 engines in recent model years. Someone in their organization tried to cheap out some pennies on the gasket design or purchase, now most of their customers are paying for it. On the minivan with 3400 engine, all of people that I know having this gasket leak. It cost upward to $800 on the minivan since it is a lot harder for mechanic to replace it in this vehicle. They did recall some of the newer vehicles (including Impala). But for those over 36K miles, we are on our own. There is nothing wrong with the engine designs since the 3800 has seen action for almost two decades and still is very well regarded. The new gasket is designed to fix this problem. So you should be safe for many years to come, theoretically.

BTW, Honda has 5 speed AT blowing up left and right on Honda and Acura vehicles with model year 2002-2004. Toyota has V6 engine sludge problem too. It is just luck nowaday and who will fix it faster.

jt
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    The rear Defrost and the AM/FM antenna are located next to each other (antenna grid is at the top of your rear glass).

With rear defrost on, there is a lot of electrical current flowing thru. it conductor. With that you have electrical noise from the vehicle (igntition, feual injector, electric motors,..)joining in for the free ride (on the 12V supply). So it is likely normal in this case. What you have here is noise coupling from the defroster to the antenna of the radio. Try it with AM to see if you hear whistling sound, buzz as you step on the gas.

jt
  • December 3, 2005

Our 2001 Impala with 67,000 miles has been flashing headlights, constant clicking from different fuse box terminals, all the idiot lights flash warnings, battery light and bell goes off constantly, the horn honks as your driving and back up lights wont go off. It doesn't make any difference if the car is running or if the engine is turned off, with the key in the ignition or not. The only way to turn any of these things off is to disconnect the battery. All this started shortly after the catalytic converter was replaced under factory warranty. The intake gasket needs replacing due to the Dexcool.
    This car is becoming nightmare, we're beginning to think it's poses ed or something. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. It has the staff at Knechts Auto supply shop baffled.
  • i have misplaced my manuel and need to know how to reset my oil change light indicator
  • 1. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON. The radio must be off.
    2. Press and hold the TUNE or DISP. knob on the radio for
    at least five seconds until SETTINGS is displayed
    3. Press the SEEK or PSCAN up or down arrows to scroll
    through each available feature on your main menu.
    4. Scroll, using the SEEK/SCAN up or down arrows, unitl
    OIL LIFE appears on the display.
    5. Press the PREV or NEXT button to enter the submenu.
    RESET will then be displayed.
    6. Press the TUNE/DISP. knob to reset. A chime will be
    heard to verify the new setting and DONE will be
    displayed for one second.
  • On our 2001 Impala, that I wrote about yesterday, now the instrument panel is dark, we tried turning the switch back and forth and changed the fuses that the owners manual suggested and nothing has worked. I now know that this car is poses ed!
  • Did you buy this car new or used? Sounds like with that many electrical gremlins that perhaps it could have been submerged in water at some point. I used to work with a young woman who bought a "program car" Camry, thinking it would be a reliable car. She started having all sorts of odd electrical problems and could get no help from one dealer, so she took it to another. When I took her to pick up the car they showed us a very clear water line in the trunk behind the fabric lining where the car had obviously been submerged at some point. This was back in the pre-Carfax days, so she had no way to know (and she wasn't very car-literate, so someone saw an opportunity and took advantage of her). Anyway, when I hear of a car having multitudes of electrical problems now my first thought is to check for flood damage.
  • JT- Thanks for the info. I don't have the paper work back yet but they talked of 'resealing' why that, instead of a new gasket??? Makes me a little nervous.
  • I wonder if anyone knows the number of supporting struts under the 05 Impala hood? Recently my car had an accident and was sent to the body shop for the repair. When I got the car, I only saw one strut under the hood. I thought there were two but the guys in the body shop told me there was only one strut for 05 model. I just want to ask the 05 impala owners if this is the truth. Also what does the inner tube of the original strut look like? shining chrome or black? Thanks a lot.
    The dealer said (1) the sound is coming from a computer controlled fuel vapor purge valve, (2) it will not damage anything, (3) there is no fix, and (4) GM has been notified and a case number has been assigned....I'm contemplating my next move...[...trade it in for Toyota, maybe, or call BBB for advice]. :confuse:
  • Hello, I have a 2001 Impala that I am having the same issue of turning the key over and nothing happens, no noise, clicks, nothing. The dealership replaced the BCM (Body Control Module) last week but this did not fix the problem and is now set on replacing the ignition switch. I'm tired of their guessing and paying for parts and labor I don't need. Any information you could provide me?
  • I also have a 2001 Impala, exact same symptoms, we had the dealership replace the ignition switch, the problem has been fixed.
    -T
  • zemmzemm Posts: 1
    I am trying to rebuild a transmission for a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. Does anyone know of where i can get a diagram of the transmission to use when doing this? Much appreciated...thanks!
  • I have the same problem with my Mother-in-Law's vehicle.
    Did you ever get a reply?
  • We have a 2002 Impala that we spent 1250.00 on less then 2 months ago. The car at that time was overheating, the engine lights were on in the dash, there was a low oil, low coolant and check engine on ALL the time. Even though the fluid levels were fine. Finally the temp guage went to the red and I took it straight to the dealer. I could smell an acrid odor but that was it. The dealer looked at it and told us that there was oil in the coolant reservoir-required a cooling system flush, the gasket had to be replaced and that the thermostat had to be replaced. They changed the fuse for the fan as well. After we picked up the car the temp guage hovered at 230 (when previously it was below the halfway mark), the engine light is always on and the low oil light comes on all the time. They told us after using a Tech II to diagnose it again that even though it "looks" like it's overheating according to the diagnostic check it isn't and that we needed a new oil pan sensor. Yesterday, the car went to the red again, fluid levels are normal and I am wondering if they ever fixed the problem in the first place! What could this be?
  • I have oil getting into the coolant on 02 Impala. I have a 3.4 engine. Is this problem related to what you are describing? My last 6 on the VIN are 0262. Your help will be appreciated.
  • I have a 2001 Impala - 3.8 liter engine. A mechanic friend just replaced the transmission with a salvage tranny. We test drove it this evening and the "new" tranny seems to be working great. However, I now have the "Trac Off" light on and the message center saying "Service Traction System." The message goes off when I start driving but the "Trac Off" light stays on. According to the manual, I should be able to turn the traction control back on by simply pressing the Traction On button on the dash. I did this but the "Trac Off" light is still on. Also, my "ABS" light is on and also won't go off. Does anyone have any idea how this could have occurred from changing the transmission and how I fix this? Do I perhaps need to have the computer "re-set" by a repair shop or the dealer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.