Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• hi, i'm having a problem with a 2000 impala, 3.8L. i'm installing a remote starter and when i tried to start it with the key, the security light was on and it would not start, wouldn't even turn over the engine, i took everything out that i did and tried it, and it does the same thing. tried resetting the passlock system by leaving the key in the on position for 10 minutes, came back after 20 minutes and the security light was still on and it wouldn't start. does anyone know what is going on?

i've looked all over, nothing is unplugged and no fuses are blown, right now the wiring is back to 100% origional and it still does not work, need to get this car out of the shop for the customer so an answer ASAP would be excellent and very very much appreciated, thanks
  • It sounds like someone did not hook up the sensor wires correctly, or not hooked up at all. I would have them recheck all of the wiring harness to make sure everything is hooked up. Also check the fuses to make sure they didn't trip any of the important ones.
    Bill
  • I have seen of many times that the AC Delco Batteries will discenagrate and become loose from the positive side terminal. This happened to my mother and the whole terminal had come out from the battery and leaked everywhere. You may want to check your connections to the battery to make sure everything is snug.
  • ls03ls03 Posts: 1
    03 LS just went off warranty. 33000 miles.
    2004 computer module that controls cooling fan failed
    2005 Intermediate Steering Shaft replaced
    2005 Delco battery replaced
    2005 Main engine oil leak. gaskets replaced.3.8 L v-8.
    Is this atypical?
    Dealer said the oil leak was common.
    Are there other problems lurking? It's a good car, but...
  • hello, i tried to start my car this morning, and when i turned on the ignition i could hear ticking comming from the fuse box, and my lights on the dashboard were flickering on and off, also i could hear a humming comming from the ignition switch somewhere, and my stereo said locked or something like that, it was fast, only came on once, my lights worked at that time, but were getting dim, then later on in the night after i tried to recharge the battery, the battery was totally dead, i was thinking it could be a new battery, or the starter, or the alternator, or worse comes worse, the computer, anyone have any ideas on what it could be? i don't want to spend hundreds at a dealership, when it could be a simple solution, thanks
    onkwehonwe
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    When my battery goes out on my 2000 Impala (which it has done twice), it gives NO warning. The first time it reacted very similar to your experience, flashing lights and odd behavior like a scene from "Close Encounters." I was able to jump-start mine both times and get it to a shop to test the battery. I'm pushing 90k miles on mine, and so far no starter/alternator/computer problems, so hopefully all you need is a new battery.
    3.8L gasket replacement to stop a COOLANT leak (on the upper intake manifold) is very common, but I don't remember any complaints about an OIL leak.

If you have the auto dimming rearview mirror, it will quit dimming eventually. Probably in another 30-40k miles your driver's power window switch will quit working, a new replacement runs about $90. But it's easy to replace, so unless you're not mechanically inclined at all I wouldn't pay a dealership to install it. Beyond that I think you've dealt with all the other issues.
  • tina5tina5 Posts: 11
    Hi,
    my 2006 Impala shows the tire pressure in the driver information center much lower (4 psi lower) than the pressure gage at the gas station. What pressure is correct ? I assume the one at the gas station would be more accurate ?
  • Hi, I have an Impala 2001 and often my turn signal flasher will stop when being on or will simply not work.

I've noticed that if I turn on and off the Hazard (button on dash board) the turn signal comes back on! Weird but it works most of the time. As a temp. solution I just do that movement very rapidly, but would like to know if there is any solution out there!

Is it an electrical wire short ?
    or
    Do you think it's the "Hazard/Turn Signal Flasher" button switch described in your email ?

Thanks in advance,
    M.Bissonnette
  • Yes, it's that flasher module. you can probably replace it yourself if you have a screwdriver and $16.95 for the part at the Chevy Dealer's parts department. go to the website impalahq dot com and check the how-to section to see how to remove the instument-panel (i forget the name of the piece of plastic in front of the dash that contains that hazard button. You can do it yourself in half hour. Much cheaper than spending money on the part PLUS installation which is 1/2 hour in the dealer labor guide. Good luck!
  • Many thanks, You just made my day, I'll give it a try and that is a cool site impalahq.com, bookmarked it as it can be very handy! Merry Christmas!
    MBissonnette.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 612
    'Resealing the intake' is replacement of the gasket.
  • You probably do not have a short -- this is an ongoing problem with the piece of crap GM calls an Impala -- I replaced the windshield wiper switch and hazard wiper switch on my 2002 Impala in 2003. The Service center knew exactly what was wrong when it took it in for repair.

If you don't have any other issues with your body control module, consider yourself lucky!
  • You are not alone....I have a 2002 LS Impala with 29,000 miles. This is second time the body control module has acted up. First time was in the middle of the summer in August 2004 where the computer stored codes so that the mechanic was able to see what was wrong. This time with the battery was completely "dead" and nothing was stored; however, the battery will hold a charge, the alternater is perfectly fine -- there is no "explanation" for what happened. The clock stopped running, but stayed on and wouldn't shut off and the radio/CD player wouldn't play -- and then three days later the car wouldn't start. After I received a jump start, the computer had its brain scrambled, and everything works fine now.

The morale to this story is that you probably didn't need to buy a new battery. As for the leak and your other woes -- I can't speak to that.

It appears you will have more heart ache ahead of you should you keep this car. I am personally looking to buy a Nissan Maxima as soon as possible to get rid of this piece of GM crap. Good Luck!
  • I have 2001 Impala, 72000 miles. Odometer and radio lights are working intermittantly. Driver seat heater stopped working. Temp. gauge dial stopped working. Electric radiator fan just started to run on engine shutdown. One day last week, the car wouldn't start. I replaced the battery as it was the orginal, none of the problems went away, although the temp gauge worked for two days. Any info from anyone? Some sort of ground problem or ignition switch?
  • HI I HAVE A 2001 IMPALA THE CAR IDLE OKAY BUT WHEN DRIVING WILL NOT GET OVER 30 MILES I HAVE CHANGE THE AIR FLOW AND THAT DIDN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM HELP
    Could be a clogged catalytic converter in your exhaust system...I haven't had this problem, but I've seen it mentioned here before by others.
  • I have a 2001 Impala 3.8 ltr engine. I have a sluggish start from zero. But once it pulls away it drives fine. About 45 minutes later, it starts jockeying and within 10 minutes it will cut off and when restarted, it will cut off when put in drive. Tranny shop says they have to put down tranny to repair problem for about $2300. The computer spat out a code that says something about solenoid. Please help shade light on this if you can.
  • :confuse: I too own a 2001 Impala. I love this car except that I too am having the exact same problems with the electrical system. The prevous message is mine to a Tee'. I came here looking for advise... I'm glad to know that I am not alone. Has anyone found a solution???
  • I had the same problem!! you need a new catalytic converter. I replaced mine with great success. I know that GM is now offering a refund for this repair, on certain models. I suggest to everyone that has had this replacement to look for this refund.
    Has anyone here had issues with their auto-dimming rearview mirror, and if so, any advice on replacing it yourself? Mine no longer dims, and I need to replace it...I can order the part, and I assume it should be pretty easy to replace, but I'm hesitant to spend the bucks for the new mirror if it isn't something I can easily replace myself.
  • mean1mean1 Posts: 11
    My 2004 Impala has only 14,000 miles on it and has been well-maintained. It started leaking oil and the dealer replaced the oil pan gasket. This did not work...so they said that the first time they used a cork gasket and now the second time they would use the GM recommended liquid/rubbery gasket. But still the oil leaks. Now on the 3rd try they say it's not the oil pan but the rear main seal needs replaced. Isn't this a major repair for a relatively new engine. Will this ever be right or is this car a lemon? I don't like the idea of having engine repairs on a car I've owned for 18 months. Is there any hope for this car?
  • I've seen some posts on this, but unclear to the solution. I've read on other sites that it could be a vacuum hose problem, but have not been able to find where it is. The A/C only blows through the floor vents. The max button does not do anything anymore and the vent selector switch does nothing either. If I switch the temperature selector to max heat it stops blowing through the floor vent, but I can still hear the air coming out somewhere (very little through dash vents or defrost vents). Any suggestions?
  • On the 05 model you only have one strut and yes it is black. So the guys at the body shop are telling the truth. :)
  • I have an 05 model and recently sent the car to the dealership for inspection of my brakes. The reason being is because I have to brake hard in order to come to a complete stop. The dealership told me it's normal I think not.Even at 40 mph I have to put my foot hard on the pedal. Does anyone else experience the same problem with their 05 model? :(
  • There is a button that turns the auto dimming off. Could it have been bumped accidentally and turned off?
    No, the button is on. The dimming feature diminished over time...at first there were just patches near the top and bottom of the mirror, eventually these patches stretched across the top/bottom, leaving only a band across the middle that continued to dim. Finally the band in the middle disappeared - problem is there's no way to manually dim the mirror, so once it quits dimming on its own, you just have to squint and bear it. This probably transpired over a period of 3 years; my assumption is that the oil or whatever is inside the mirror somehow leaked out/dried up.
  • rogerska-
    I know what u mean, my daughter has a Maxima. AND I'm ready to go back to Japanese, as I told my salesman- I'm tired of the U.S. crap (although my Impala was made in Canada) It's an '03 w/ 31K on it. It's my
    first and last GM car. (I like the car but I don't need the repairs) My brother has an '02- always in the shop-mostly brakes.
    Maxima or Avalon, here I come.
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    I got a mailing today from Chevrolet announcing a recall of 2006 Impala's with 17 and 18 inch wheels. They want to recalibrate the braking controls. This will probably apply only to LTZ's and SS's. I would imagine that the factory has been sending all Impalas out with the same braking parameters in the control module, and they are finding that the larger wheels change the picture. This should be a minor trip to the dealer, but I'll probably wait a month or two, until they have had a chance to figure out how to do it right. We have noticed no problems with the brakes on our LTZ, but if they can improve things, why not?
  • I have a 2000 Impala purchased new in 2000. In 2003 with approximately 60K miles on the vehicle I experienced the exact same shift problems described. Took it to the dealer and they replaced a Pressure solenoid (maybe the EPC). Worked fine until recently. Its doing it again. Is there no permanent repair for this problem? Won't I eventually tear up the Transmission?
This discussion has been closed.