Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• blokieblokie Posts: 5
    Hi there,
    I've just bought a 2004 Impala from a GM dealer, and after driving more than 20 ins my legs start to go dead.I have read in this forum that this a problem with these cars. My car is going back to the dealer this Thurs for a new "under seat foam pad" in any ones experience does this correct the problem?
    Also, where can I find a list of tsb's for this car so as to see if there are other problems in case I need to exercise my 30 day satisfaction guaranty.

Thanks in advance
    Chris
  • greenonegreenone Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Impala LS with 90K miles on it. I've been seeing the following problem when driving it cold (<40degrees). The Impala seems hestitant to shift into first gear. When I press down the gas pedal, the engine revs but not much movement. Pressing slowly on the pedal eventually gets it going. After a while it clears itself up and I can start fine from stop. Sounds like the solenoid problem referenced in earlier posts. But I found today that when I turned off the car after having the problem and took it out 10 minutes later, no sign of the problem. It was like something was reset when the car was turned off. Any computer glitches known of related to the Impala transmission? Any help apprecirated.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Do you know if your Impala had the intake manifold problem looked after.....a few years back 2000 and 2001 Impalas were recalled because of coolant leaks and a modification was done and bolts were used to tighten the intake manifold because of coolant leaks....GM also put a sealant into the radiator to help rectify this coolant leak problem....check past posts on this forum regarding this.....also check with your auto centre to see if they replaced your thermostat when they flushed/filled. if they did they maybe put in a higher temperature one, that maybe why your temperature gauge reads higher....
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    I had a similar problem with my 2001 LS, last summer. In forward gear it just revved then jumped into gear and hesitated.....also when put into reverse it wouldn't go into reverse...it just revved...I shut the car off and then tried again and it worked ok, but progressively got worse....I thought my problem was the solonoid....it turned out to be the reaction gear in the transmission (broke) and the transmission had to be rebuilt....Lots of $$.....This I learned has been a problem with the 2000 - 2002 Impalas & especially the Police Impalas because of their rough service...I believe in late 2002 the reaction gear was modified or updated to alleviate some of the transmission problems that the Impala has experienced....
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    Sounds like there is air trapped in the cooling system.
  • greenonegreenone Posts: 5
    Hmmm, I took the car out again this morning. Same problem when starting in "D". Manually Shifted in 1st gear, worked fine. Shifted in "D", revs without moving, then goes into gear. Turned car off and back on, problem is gone. It will run fine the rest of the day until it sits overnight. Is this a problem best diagnosed by the dealer? It's a real shame, I've had zero problems with this car up to this point.
  • sdxsdx Posts: 1
    Autozone diag says I need to replace one per code/light. Cleared code & light came back in a day so I guess I need to get busy. They recommend replacing both noting that if the other goes bad it could damage the new one - agree?

Any thoughts on dealer parts vs Autozone, etc?

tx
  • raybethraybeth Posts: 1
    Help!!
    Can anyone tell me if GM has had any recalls for Coolant Leaks. I need to get mine fixed but would like to see If there are any recalls first. I understand there a lot of people with the same problem.

Thanks!
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 611
    there is a recall involving replacement of throttle body bolts and adding sealant tabs to the coolant. I'd need the last 6 of your VIN to see if you are included in the recall.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    Well, you asked so: If my choice was to buy parts from either the dealer or Autozone, I would say the dealer.
  • amanda78amanda78 Posts: 1
    Have you found a fix for this yet? My 01 LS has the same problem. I have been troubleshooting this for months and I think the "theft deterrent" relay is causing it.
  • I got a recall notice for my 2000 Impala. Don't have the notice any more but the invoice says "all 2000-2002 and certain 2003 impala and monte carlos equipped with a 3.8 (RPO L-36-VIV code R) engines may have a condition in which engine coolant may leak at the upper intake manifold throttle body gasket, or at the upper intake manifold to the lower intake manifold gasket. This condition may result in a low engine coolant level and higher engine operating temperatures" I think the fix was to replace the gasket. My car had 68K on it when it was fixed under warranty,
  • jayman31jayman31 Posts: 1
    I need help.....Anyone ever hear sloshing noises in dash area? After sitting for a minute or two and then revving the engine you can hear what sounds like water flowing in the dash area, and it is affected by the engine revving. Kind of like the engine revs blow the water out but after 1-2 minutes it accumulates again. Chevy says the problems area popping up in 03-04s I believe and engineers are working on it. It does not affect the interior of the car yet or I would smell it but I don't. Anyone else have this problem?
  • tazwolftazwolf Posts: 2
    i am new to this site but have a 2001 impala that is now leaking coolant at the intake. everyone tells me they have this problem but can't get anything from the dealer. the vin for the car is 2G1WF52E319285162. it has the 3400 in it. any help would be great. thanks. the dealer is saying $1100 to fix the problem. the car has 82000 miles on it after our last trip.
  • tim2000tim2000 Posts: 1
    I think that's a setting you can change. On my 2000 I depress the radio button with "dsp" on it, and then scroll through the choices. This is the same "place" to acknowledge an oil change.
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Posts: 110
    I had that problem last year at about 92k miles. My local car repair shop charged me $700 for the fix, and GM/Chevy did not re-imburse me. Said it was not related to any other recalls.

Take it to a general repair shop, not the dealer. The car is probably out of warranty by now anyway, and the quality of the work done is about the same, just less money for you to spend.

I had the problem repaired at about 92,000 miles, and I am currently at 109,000 miles (mycar is a 2000 model). Good luck with your repair, hopefully this is the only major repair you will need with your car as they seem to be pretty solid.
    You have the wrong engine for the recall (3.4 instead of 3.8). Your VIN shows no open recalls, and no previous history that could be used as leverage for goodwill assistance. You are beyond (mileage wise) any dealership's ability to help. $1100 sounds a bit high to seal the intake, but my labor rate is pretty low. A higher labor rate would make a big difference as the parts cost is not much. Be sure you're getting all fresh coolant and an oil/filter change in that deal.

I like a black car, but prefer the indigo blue on the Impalas.
  • tazwolftazwolf Posts: 2
    thanks for the help. yea i called GM and they said if they did issue a recall then I could get reimbursed at that time. I guess that is what you get when your family works for GM and some are retired from there. Is it ok to switch at that time to regular coolant besides using the dexcool again?
  • owlbarboowlbarbo Posts: 1
    I cant seem to get my 62 impala to start,I've replaced the starter ,alternator, ignitiog switch and battery,and it wont even make a sound,is there something i am missing or overlooking?every once in a while it will make a clicking sound as if the battery is dead but its brand new.could it be the distributer or voltage regulator
    I believe antifreeze will work, just be sure to get the old stuff flushed out well. Mixing dexcool and antifreeze is bad voodoo.
This discussion has been closed.