Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cidecarcidecar Posts: 2
    Have been doing my own brakes for years. I just bought a 2004 Impala 3.4. I am taking the factory brake pads off all four wheels and replacing them with the cheapest soft pads from NAPA. I would rather put new pads in every 30,000 miles than replace the rotors and, it's not much of a job. I have owned many four wheel drive vehicles and replacing the rotors is time consuming and expensive. Not to mention there is a lot more to take apart than your typical front drive car. I service my transmissions by power flushing them. I may have to have a shop do it on the Impala but it will keep the tranny lasting longer. We have an older Explorer and had a Ranger pick-up. With these two you can disconnect a transmission line at the Radiator and they will pump themselves out. All you do is add the same amount of new fluid as what is being pumped and pretty soon you have a clean tranny! I don't know if GM can do that but I'm going to find out. If anyone knows that answer please post or reply to this. Good luck with your car.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    "I don't know if GM can do that but I'm going to find out. If anyone knows that answer please post or reply to this."

Yes. It's an automatic transaxle with a rad mounted cooler. Nothing special.
  • Hi Garypen,

No, not necessarily. The noise can occur at any time for no apparent reason. I thought it might get better as the weather got warmer (less expansion and contraction with hot and cold), but even in the summer it happens. It seems to be getting worse. Unless it gets totally unbearable, however, I don't think I am going to invest a lot of money and time by having the dealer take the dash apart to fix the problem. The weird thing is, I have owned the car for almost three years, and the problem didn't materialize until the past year. You would think that the problem would have been there since day one.

Thanks for your interest!

Frank :D
  • Hi Folks,

I was wondering, where is the fuel filter located in a 2000 LS with the 3.8L V6?
  • 76637663 Posts: 1
    The dealer tells me I'm the only one having this problem. 2005 Imapala LS, 8500 miles. But it has been doing the same thing intermittently since 1000 miles or so. The dealer put in a recorder since no faults were showing on the computer. The recorder has been activated twice and nothing shows. The dealer doesn't know what to do. I suggested the lemon law be invoked.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Fuel filter is located below where you put the gas into the car. Look up under the rear drivers side fender up towards the gas filler pipe you will see it.
  • I have had my car into the dealer now for 2 weeks and it will create the problems I have when I drive it. It is still at the dealers so I cannot offer any new info.
  • spikeyspikey Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 2003 chevy impala former police cruiser,
    I cannot get the courtesy lights to turn on when doors are open . i tried the survillance switch and reconnected one cut wire purple. the daytime running ligths come on ok, but the courtes lights still remain
    unlit ,bulbs ok . Ant Suggestions ?
  • I'm new to this forum and after searching haven't found this problem....

I have a '01 LS that has been nearly 100% problem free until recently when it became very sluggish. It has no pick when under-stress.. by that I mean if you punch it, it just sits there, where as a slow steady foot will bring it up to speed, but not without hesitation. Once at highway speed it acelerates better, but only if nudged slowly- There doesn't seem to be any strange noise from the engine. It starts just fine, idles around 1500 (a bit high?). Reving while in Park sounds normal. My initial thought was transmission, but am now leaning more twoard fuel system. The problem appeared all at once, which is why I thought trasmission- I am very open to suggestions and do not want to take it to a mechanic without a better idea of what the problem might be.
  • Could be the catalytic converter is clogged. That should be under warranty. My 2001 just had it replaced two months ago. It was sluggish and did not accelerate well.
  • Thanks for the suggestion.. Is there a way to test for this? No matter what the problem ends up being, it's certainly not under warranty. I'm just about to roll 100k :)
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Engine at operating temp, install a vacuum gauge and check manifold vacuum at idle. Should be around 18"-20" Hg. Bring the engine up to 2,500 r.p.m. for 15 seconds. Gauge will typically drop then recover to a higher value than at idle. If after 15 seconds the reading is even 1" Hg lower than at idle, there's an exhaust system restriction.
  • Okay, here's my quick story. Same exact problem, only be prepared that it get's worse. I tok mine into the dealer at 78,000 miles and was told this is a government recall and is under warranty. Did not pay for anything other than freight since dealer did not have in stock and was going to takle a week to get in. Hope this helps.
  • I am having the same problem, told me 2 weeks ago it was the battery. Guess what I was stranded again same problem lights, radio, horn all works as reported to dealer the first time before the new battery and now it happen again. Nothing when the key was turned on. Any luck with your problems?
  • walsh4walsh4 Posts: 1
    My '02 just became sluggish very recently. Under hard acceleration, it won't go above about 4000 rpm before it just kind of cuts out (kind of like it's bouncing off a rev limiter). Idles normal and cruises on highway okay as others have said previously. Couple of weeks ago, high voltage warning light came on just after starting the engine. I shut it off and on, and haven't had that problem since. Not sure if related to sluggishness or not? Would be nice if it's under the same waranty drewcrew mentioned ...
  • Did you ever get this problem solved? I am having the same trouble. Had to have it towed and they said it was the battery. Two weeks here I am again stranded with the same description of what is going on? Seems like my dealership doesnot have too much interest in helping me correct the problem. Could it be the BCM? Thanks
  • hi i am a 2000 impala i just bought it today and the headlights will not work on dim i dont know what it is i know alot about cars my dad is a machanic but we cant figure it out so if you do please tell me
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    First thing check to see if the bulbs are burned out. (rare for both to be burned out-but possible) find out from the place of purchase if you can get the previous owners name, that might help.
  • bh628bh628 Posts: 100
    Hi,
    I'm going to be moving and the parking spot will be near a bunch of big trees. A future neighbor told me that he gets tree sap onto his car a lot. It rains a little most days and that gets rid of a lot, but i want to protect my new Impala.

Would a car cover help? about how much would one cost?

thanks so much. I'll let you guys know about my car shipping experience--the car is scheduled for pickup this coming week.
  • Was it covered because the mileage was low enough or was this a recall that would be covered regardless of mileage? I just had the same problem with my 2001LS with 95K miles and the dealer replaced the converter, but never mentioned any government recall. Should I contact the dealer regarding this?
This discussion has been closed.