Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• orilliaorillia Posts: 5
    I contacted my dealer today and he suggested getting an oil change every 3000 miles and to ignore whats is in the manual . He mentioned synthetic oil would be the only reson to get a change over 7000 miles.

Comments?
  • jimbyjimby Posts: 5
    Ignore your dealer and follow what the manual says. The dealer wants to see your car in his shop as often as possible. You will be wasting money and oil if you change every 3000 miles.
  • meg9713meg9713 Posts: 21
    I am looking into buying a 2004 tsx but was wondering what the average cost of repairs are.......do they tend to be higher than say for example, an accord or maxima? I am concerned that Acura, being a more expensive car, will lead to more expensive repairs or service. Anyone who has experience w/ repairs, service, even oil changes, please let me know if the tsx is going to cost me much much more than the 98 altima I have now.

Thanks!
  • jimbyjimby Posts: 5
    Well, almost all the TSXs out there are still under manufacturer's warranty (it's a 4 year, 50k mile warranty) so there is probably not a lot of data in yet about overall cost of repairs. I would expect the costs to be in line or slightly higher than current Accord. The TSX is basically a modified Euro Accord, so it's not like parts will be scarce. Dealer service and repairs will almost always be higher than independent shops.
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    Does anyone have any ideas on why the owner's manual indicate NOT to change the oil before 10,000 miles during the break-in period??? I always thought that you wish to change the oil rather soon for the first time as you have all the cuttings from the assembly process.

Also...wouldn't it be best to change the oil at say every 5k and not stick to the 10k recommendation?
    I contact Acura and they replied that the oil not be changed before 10,000 miles because of 'break-in' additives in the first oil fill from the factory.

** Does anyone know what the heck is being added to our oil ?
    ** Anybody disagree with the concept of waiting for >10,000 miles?
    ** With this understanding, I am going to wait for 10,000 miles to change my oil AND filter.

Below is the reply from Acura (Comes directly from an Acura Dealership Service Department...which has a vested interest in getting us in early and often) -

Acura says that you don’t need service before 10000 miles or one year if your driving conditions are “normal” and not “severe” according to the description in the owner’s manual. Southern California driving conditions tend to be a bit severe, so many of our customer’s elect to replace the oil filter with each oil change and to perform an oil and filter change between each 10000 mile service interval at 5000 miles. If your driving conditions are not severe, I might recommend that you not change the oil for the first time before 10000 miles because the factory sometimes adds a break-in additive to the first oil fill. It is important to check your oil level on a periodic basis because some oil consumption in a 10000 mile period would be normal.

:blush:
  • peonymanpeonyman Posts: 6
    The Acura dealer was emphatic that I not change oil until 10,000 miles because of special additives to help the break in process.
    Then I get a card from Acura (not the dealer?) advising me to come in at 5,000 miles for the initial oil change. This was a reminder card, not a notice that their policy was changed.
    I have found no reference in the owner's manual stating when the first oil change should be.
    Conventional wisdom was always that changing sooner than later is beneficial to flush out any metal particles from the breaking-in process. Creation of those particles would be highest at the git-go and taper off as engine hours increased.
    Who should we believe?
    Split the difference and change it at 7,500 miles.

I also had the same question and I reside myself to wait until it is closer to 10,000 miles. I totally agree with past wisdom of changing initially at 2,500 miles, but I have to believe that the engineers have considered all factors.

The owner's manual does specifically state NOT to change the oil until 10,000...in the break-in section. Please look at your booklet to confirm.

Now...one thing that I will be doing is to change my oil AND filter every 8,000 miles subsequently. Why not...cheap enough. See my previous post #106 in the Acura TL 'Care and Maintenace' forum.
  • willyboywillyboy Posts: 1
    Hi Jimby,
    How are you?
    I'm WiLL and I am new to this so please excuse me I am indeed placing this inquiry in the wrong section of this forum.
    Perhaps you can direct me to the right section if I am indeed in the wrong place?
    I have an 2004 TSX. I am a NYC resident but I bought it off the dealer in Maple Shade, NJ just because it was a little less expensive. I bought it at 1,800 miles floor model. It is now nearing 9,500 miles and the maintenance light is beginning to flash (not steady). I called a few dealers up for the maintenance fees and what it entails. They all ran quotes from $130 - $150. Is there any possibility I can find a place cheaper then that? $150 for a maintenance of oli change, filter change, tire rotation is kind of expensive to me.
    Thank you,

WiLL
  • goregore Posts: 1
    Hello

You can probably save money if you just change oil and rotate tires. This is what I did. For a fact on 10k Miles there is nothing needs to be done except these 2 things. read user manual for maintanance and see what you have to do,.
  • I replace mine at 10k mi w/o problems, nor complaints by service reps. A long time ago, I read that Honda ran a car for a 100K mi at the track; changing oil as per the factory recommendation ( I think it was 7500 mi at that time). They tore down the engine at the end and found very little wear.

My prior car was a Mazda Protege with 135K mi. I got the same milage towards the end as I did in the beginning changing oil every 7500 mi.
  • Will this extend life of transmission and provide better gas milage?
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    No, it probably will not improve gas mileage. It may extend tranny life on some miniscule level, but it will be many moons before you even need to consider changing the fluid in the 6 MT. Leave it alone.

Johnny
    The more times you drop a pan to change the oil...the more likely you will get contaminated. Go with a 'complete power flush' where the pan isn't dropped....and which will ensure completly new fluids.
  • nyernyer Posts: 32
    I purchased a 2005 AT TSX 3 months ago and have driven roughly 2000 miles so far. I know I have time, but I have to ask what the real timeframe is regarding oil changes? Acura says to service every 10k miles and the dealer told me to have it done every 5k. Then I am reading about certain break in additives in the oil that should be left in the car for the 1st 10k miles. Does anyone know what is the most prudent thing to do to ensure longevity of the car? Thanks for the help
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    I don't know if "break-in oil" in Hondas is urban legend or not, but there are a lot of dealers out there more than happy to tell you to go to the "long" interval on the first change. That tells me maybe there is something to that. Either way, the days of doing your first oil change at 2K seem to be gone. If it were me, I'd be in there around 6000-7500 just because the tires would already need to be rotated.

As for the 5K/10K debate beyond the first change, read the manual! I bet Acura recommends a 5K interval for "severe" driving conditions, which seem to fit the conditions that the vast majority of cars are subjected to. And you may encounter dealers that think the "severe" interval isn't severe enough, but they should really be ignored unless you want to make the general manager's boat payment.
  • nyernyer Posts: 32
    I think the "break-in oil" does exist. Although I don't see myself waiting to get the 1st oil change at 10k miles, I most likely will wait to 7500 miles. I agree with your suggestion on when to get the 1st change. Afterwards I would look to service every 5k miles. But let's not forget that we should, and I do, check the oil every week or every fill up. The oil looks very clean after 2k miles, although I did have to add 1/2 qrt at about 1k miles. That seems to be the norm though. Thanks again for your help.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,029
    I like changing at every 5K miles, as it keeps you on the 10K service interval for the rest of your services....

I can't imagine that any break-in oil hasn't done it's job by the time you've driven 5K miles... though, I'm not a Honda engineer... ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

This question was posted on several forums here...but I say that the responses on this forum is consistent with my thoughts.

I would allow the 'break-in' additive to perform its duties by allow it to remain close to the mileage recommendation of 10k. However...if you have driven the car more harshly during that time...change it at 7.5k. After the initial oil change...change it at 5k but no later than 7k.
  • Can someone tell me how to turn off the Maintenance Required light? I usually do my own oil changes, etc., and would like to make this orange light stop blinking. Also, the mechanic at the dealership said it would start blinking at 7k miles (it's a 2005 TSX) but no servicing would be required until 10k (had the first oil change at 5k). Not sure if car has to be hooked up to the computer to turn off the light or not? Thanks!
  • It should be in the owners manual, but I believe it involves turning the key to the "on" position while simultaneously holding in the reset button located just below the gauges, the same one you use to reset the trip odometers.

I think you hold it for a few seconds until the dash lights go out. This is how it's done with Hondas and it should hold true with Acuras too.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Do this:

Make sure the headlights are off, otherwise it won't work. (Don't ask me why, I just know that this is the way it worked for me!)

Hold down the "trip reset" button while turning the ignition switch to "ON" (but don't start the car). Continue holding the button until you see the display change to +/- °F increments, then quickly let go before the +/- °F value changes.

This will keep the "Maintenance" light off for another 8,000 miles.
  • Thanks -Johnny. I'll give it a try and see if i can make it happen.
  • jehlingjehling Posts: 2
    Yes, Bought my TSX 6 speed two months ago, burned 1.5 quarts in 4000 miles. A shock, after having three accords that never burned oil. According to Acura, 1 quart every 1000 miles is acceptable depending on driving style and environment? I guess i just need to check it every 500 miles. According to what research i have done, thinner oil used, and all aluminum engine components. Besides that, love the car. Did have the dealer document the issue, and will keep my own score card to monitor the issue.
  • jehlingjehling Posts: 2
    Yes,k same problem, same statement by Acura. Besides that, I enjoy the car, just a little shocked after owning three Accords, that never burned any oil.

??????
  • drewbadrewba Posts: 154
    I burned nearly a quart of oil during the first 3-4,000 miles but none since. I'm at 10,000 miles now. It may have something to do with engine break-in.
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    You should check engine oil level more frequently than every 500 miles anyway.
  • mrgold35mrgold35 Posts: 73
    I have a 06 TSX and the family took it on its first road trip a few weeks ago. I did all the fluid/air checks before we left and hit the interstate Hwy. I’ve noticed the hood bouncing up/down on the car at Hwy speeds. Not a huge bounce, but enough catch my eye. I actually pulled off on an exit because I thought I forgot to close the hood properly at home. I really don’t notice the bounce with city/commuter driving.

Have other 04-06 TSX owners experienced the same problem? Is it related to rubber hood stops and/or hood latch adjustment? Wondering if I should take it in sooner or just wait for the 1st service in about 3 months.

Thx.
  • bora1bora1 Posts: 42
    Hello, can someone please let me know the maintenance schedule of the TSX? After how many KMs/Miles can it go before an oil change has to be performed? Thx.
  • The TSX tells you when it needs maintenance via the MID (display in center of gauge cluster.) For oil changes, if you cycle through the displays in the MID, one of them tells you oil % life remaining. When it gets low enough, go get an oil change.

If you wait until it drops to 10% the car will _really_ become insistent that you take it in for service.

I don't believe there is a maintenance schedule to be found in the manual since it tracks this itself. Still, I'd probably never go more than 4-5K miles at most between oil changes.