Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX Security System Questions

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Just curious, have you looked into this problem for Accord and TL owners too? I seem to remember someone (here?) mentioning that an employee of a dealership was arrested (last year?) and might have been involved in cloning keys?

Since the Accord, TL, and TSX are basically variations of the same car, I suspect that they share the same keys/locks/alarms.

Just wondering...
  • My car that was broken into a week and a half ago in the Mission is a TL...so I think it's definitely an Acura problem. I haven't heard anything about Accords having these type of break-in problems.
    I am still very curious how someone got in because there's no one at the Acura dealership that has any connection to where my car was when it was broken into.
  • 2 hours ago, my car got broken into in San Francisco's Mission District. There were no signs of forced entry and they were able to take everything out of the cabin and my trunk. My trunk was full of leftover groceries from my last ski trip and a new box of animal crackers. It doesn't seem like they cared what they were taking, just taking everything. The interesting thing is that my CD changer had 5 CDs in it. I found two of them had been taken out and set aside. This must mean that they were able to turn the ignition in order to turn the stereo on but the keys were on me the whole time. Something seriously is lacking in the key system of the Acura's and I'm about to fire off letters to Acura corporate, the San Francisco Chronicle and make some phone calls tomorrow. Breaking into cars is supposed to be difficult right? Apparently not.
  • i can't believe they were able to turn the ignition on too!! acura corporate, sf chronicle, etc needs to know about our forum!! kahunamike, please keep us updated if you do make these phone calls/letters... let us know what else the rest of us can do to help too...
  • The Lock confirm should have a setting in the Multifunction Display to enable/disable the beep.
  • My 2005 Acura TSX was also broken into for the third time on 1/26 or 1/27 in San Francisco (Noe Valley). This is the third time with no forced entry. They also took all 5 of my CDs meaning they were able to turn the ignition.

There is something seriously wrong here with Acura's lock system and they need to do something about it! I also agree that there is a SF TSX break in ring from reading all of these posts.

Did you file a police report with SFPD and what was there response? Any response from the Acura dealership? I am taking mine there tomorrow and am going to raise hell!
  • Sorry to hear that colleen. I know how you feel. You can actually remove CDs without turning the ignition by just holding down the eject button. It cycles through, removing each CD one at a time. I just found that out last week but that still doesn't explain how they got in, opened my trunk and took everything out without my key.

I filed a police report but it's just an online form and I didn't get a response. I think the city has more important things to deal with than thefts... unfortunately. I haven't spoken to any of the local dealerships but did call the Acura Client relations dept and they said they've only heard of one other instance. I would give them a call to help raise the alarm. 1-800-382-2238 option 5

Bottom line is that car thieves can get into pretty much any car. it just sucks that the Acura alarm system is pretty much useless and that they're being targeted because they're high end. i can think of really only 2 options at this point. 1: don't put valuables in there and 2: get an aftermarket alarm system. Either way isn't the real solution which would have to come from Acura themselves - a new lock/alarm system that's not vulnerable to what these thieves are using.
  • Thanks for your response. I just filed an online police report as well. I will call Acura Client Relations tommorrow as well. I will also write a letter.

I am going to the Acura dealer tommorrow to at least report the problem to them and see if they can change the code of the remote locking system. I am going to start unlocking and locking my car manually. I know that they did not get in with a master key and here is why. The passenger door lock on my car was already not working and I had permanently locked it manually-it does not respond to my remote. When I came to my car this morning the three other locks were open as if by a remote. If they had a key only the driver door lock would have been open.

I am going to get one of those random code security systems I think.

Thanks for the input.
  • I realize it's been a year since anyone posted anything on this forum, but I just had my 2005 Acura TL broken into on Friday night on Filbert St between Gough and Octavia (in SF). My story completely mirrors everyone else's: no evidence of forced entry, manual and registration was taken, as well as a clean sweep of the trunk. I am SO frustrated/violated and I'm going straight to the Acura Dealer tomorrow. I filed a police report and am very worried that this string of Acura Theft is still happening. I will be calling the Acura USA customer service line as well; if anyone is still interested in joining forces - I'm in.

:mad: :cry: :confuse:
  • Same thing happened to me in San Francisco earlier this week.

No sign of break-in, manual and registration was stolen.

I called Acura Client Relations and they were downright rude. I am *deeply* unsatisfied by the response by acura. I'm filing a police report today.

I'm glad to hear there are a number of other people with the same issue. Hopefully this helps catch whoever is behind this.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    sorry to hear that. Is it only acura's that are getting things stolen from. When living in Stroudsburg, Pa a few years ago the same thing was happening. We owned a mazda that was locked but someone got in somehow. They stole the ashtray that had coins and tokens plus the manual. I know they have done that to bmw's.
    I can see taking the registration to get your address, but why do they steal the manual?
    I have no idea but it was taken. I used to leave the service receipts in my car-I no longer do that-I also do not leave my registration or anything that has my name and address on it in the glove box.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    There is a market for owner's manuals.
    This sounds like an "inside job". Someone who works for one of the Acura dealers in SF area must either know of a vulnerability in the locking system of TL and TSX, or can duplicate a "master key' that can unlock the cars.
    Well, these kind of TSX break-ins have been talked about here at Edmunds since 2004 at least.
  • My 2005 TSX was broken into last night in Walnut Creek. It was parked directly outside the service entrance to Walnut Creek Honda while we were hanging out in the downtown area. If you're familiar with the area, you'll also note that this is not 150 yards away from the police station! Typical thing - no sign of forced entry, took my old CD's, jacket and prescription glasses. Left the owners manual. Very frustrating - it's like those things don't have any value to anyone else, but will cost me hundreds of dollars to replace.

Anyway, because of the proximity to the Honda dealership and the police station my first inclination is that this has to be some sort of inside job, as whomever did it obviously knew what they were doing. They had to have been fast and didn't worry about looking suspicious to the police. Well, lesson learned - I'll never keep anything in that car again.
    Was your car still armed when you returned to it, or did they somehow managed to disarm the alarm? I wonder if an aftermarket alarm would deter these break-ins since obviously there is the TSX has some weakness in its securty "armour" that has become public knowledge.
  • It was locked using the key fob transmitter. However, I think that if you open the door with the key, it also disarms the alarm. An aftermarket alarm would indeed still sound if the car was armed and the door opened with a key without disarming the alarm first.
    and I would also be curious if any owner of an '09 TSX (2nd generation) has had his car similarly violated.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    is, if you drive a TSX, to keep it the hell out of the Bay Area, so long as you have a choice.

I drive quite a bit in CA, but I'm making sure I don't spend the night in that vicinity with my '08 (the last one before the beak).

An insider clearly has the key(s) to the kingdom.
  • kwokadooskwokadoos Posts: 1
    My 2004 TSX has been broken into twice in the last six months in the Cow Hollow neighborhood of San Francisco. Just like the break-ins noted by other TSX owners in this forum, mine were unforced entries as well. The first time I thought I forgot to lock my doors so I didn't do anything about it. My bluetooth headset was taken. My owners manual and registration were left alone, thank goodness. The second break-in occurred this past weekend. My car battery was taken this time.

Thanks for all the posts. I'm looking into getting a second alarm system for the car. I will also contact Acura Client Relations tomorrow. I'm so paranoid that every time I walk up to my car, something will be taken.
  • Yes, my '09 was hit just this morning. I walked out and my truck was open. I thought maybe I had accidently hit the button as I was going in last night but after I realized the interior had been gone through and that they didn't crawl thru the trunk it was though the doors. I'm sure I locked the car and now reading these comments I realize there's something up.
  • hdjcpahdjcpa Posts: 15
    Is it possible that when you enetr your TSX, there is some other electrical devise in your possession that is causing interference with your key fobe or security system (like a cell phone, blackberry, laptop, etc)?
  • I believe there is a master key out there where the person can just get into your car without setting the alarm off. (if you have a stock alarm) I had my car "broken" into sometime early this morning, I filed a police report and noticed that the person went through the glove box and etc. I am glad that not much was taken and the fact that there was no force entry (which is way better than replacing a window). This happened around the Nob Hill area in SF. Yes, like everyone else, I thought I left the car unlocked the first time, now I believe there is a "key" out there.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    that there is a master key or something similar afoot in the Bay Area. It's certainly been a consideration for me when I travel up there, which I do from time to time.

If you drive a TSX in the Bay Area, especially in the city itself, beware -- big time. Park in a locked garage or take everything you value out of the car when you leave it.
  • I called the Acura's Client relations department and found out that there is nothing we can do about the "master key" or "remote cloning" issues. They are "unaware of such issues or any reports".

I went to my dealership and had my remote fobs reset. The guy told me to "install an after market alarm system" (Acura of Serramonte). Like someone suggested, use your key or just get an after market alarm system.

Acura's Client relations: 800 382 2238, option 5

**I also suspect that someone will set your alarm off - wait till the owner disarms and clone your remote when you disarm.
  • sn1980sn1980 Posts: 1
    My 2005 Tsx has been broken into 6 times in the last 2 years. Each time they've only opened compartments in the front seat area. However, last night, they had the guts to go through my trunk as well. I live in North Beach - it's a safe and well-lit neighborhood.

I will also contact client relations as well.

Although they never stole anything of large value, it's a violation of privacy.
    Can not be that safe of a neighborhood if your car is broken into that many times-
  • Maybe this is the result of technology where iPhones were used to disarm the cars since you can use them to pretty much turn on/off many high tech items. I do hope Acura did something about this for the 2nd gen TSX... more specifically the 2012 model which I just purchased...