Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Lighting/Electrical Problems

Comments

• jayvee1jayvee1 Posts: 3
    To the one who replaced the ignition switch on their Impala. Did you have to have anything re programed in the computer or how difficult was it to replace the lock and the switch? I'm having the same problem with a 2000 Impala.
  • towmotortowmotor Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Impala that shortly after it reached 110,00 miles, the Security message light and the battery light came on and dinged. Last night, coming on to dusk, the Security light came on and there was a clicking noise and the instrument panel lights kept cutting out. After arriving home we noticed the headlights where blinking on and off. We've had the battery checked and is fine. Any ideas? Thanks for your time!
  • intstydrvnintstydrvn Posts: 1
    I seem to have the same problem everyone else does My questions is where is the BCM located on the impala. My car always recovers from this so I think its the connection to the BCM that is the problem not the computer itself

Thanks
    Jamie
  • danhilsmitdanhilsmit Posts: 4
    I was having most of the problems that you all had, with lights going on and off and locks opening and closing...I thought my vehicle was haunted...sometimes my interior lights just wouldn't go off. Someone at work would disconnect my battery and then reconnect and everything would be fine. I finally took it to another mechanic and he said that even though my battery was registering fine, I should change it anyways. I did this about 6 months ago and I haven't had a problem since. Now that I have posted this, I'm sure Murphy's Law will now kick in..
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    On my 2000 Impala my battery failures were ALWAYS preceded by weird electrical glitches that went away once the battery died and was replaced.
  • jsannerjsanner Posts: 2
    Over the past winter my two guages were starting weekin out on me..When i first had trouble with them, they wouldn't start to move until the vehicle warmed up. Now they've stopped working all together. I am not sure on what to check first. The gas guage still works ok. It is a 2005 Chevy Impala, 3.4L. Please help.
  • sdanielsdaniel Posts: 7
    Hello,I am having similar problems with my 2003 impala. did changing the ignition switch clear up the problems?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Here are my woes with this car...recently...started having weird things happen...can be driving down the road with cruise on and all of a sudden it turns off...I can try to re-activate it but it won't work...seems i turn off the car and it fixes the problem...till next time...

Just got new batter and resistor replaced for blower motor...these problems occurred previous this work was done and still occur now.

I can be driving down the road and all of a sudden my left blinker doesn't work when turned on ...the right one is OK...this fixes itself after a number of minutes...
    When starting the car..the driver information center takes a longer than usual time to light up...but not always...while driving I have had the blower motor turn off for a few minutes and then start back up as if nothing wrong...

so it seems from past posts that this is either a BCM issue or an ignition switch issue...any educated quesses on which one it is? What are the approx. costs for a BCM and the ignition switch? I am in Canada eh...

Thanks in advance...so far I haven't been stranded but I can't wait for that to happen...

Scott
    To the people who replaced the ignition switch, could you do it yourself or was there programming required by the dealership?Does anyone know if I replace my ignition switch if there is some kind of programming required by the dealer ship? I have a 2003 ls 3.8L.
  • I have a 2001 Chevy Impala. I have experienced the turn signal/ hazard light situation, but now I have a new one. All of my dash gauges have stopped working (fuel, speed, and temp). The mileage displays, but the gears do not (P,R,N, etc). My message center flashes between security, low fuel, battery, and have serviced soon. Additionally, my air blows but it is not cooling. All of this happened today at the same time! Does anyone have any advice or information on what could be causing this?
  • Its your BCM, it happened to me..now the dealer were i got the car refuses to fix it...I'm stuck like Chuck on this one...
  • not neccesarily your BCM ! i had removed it and ac still worked as with my engine still running. (the radio went out though) had some of these problems jitter, try wiggling your ignition switch to start while the engine is running. this will not grind your starter. there is some safety for that. my compass, a.c., started working. then try to tweek it back to on if it shuts off, its your switch. if you go to far the car will stall, so be gentle.

my new problem is in my driver door latch. the radio and dome like do not go on/off when i open the door, as with the retained accessory power features.

good luck!
    if you look in this thread for my issues...I believe they are now all fixed...I had the ignition switch replaced....Cost about $270.00 canadian ...

It has resolved all my weird problems.....just check above for what they were...

My thoughts are for these weird issues is that it is one of 2 things..either the BCM or the ignition switch....in my case it was the ignition switch....which by the way DOES NOT REQUIRE any re-programming....You might be able to replace yourself and save 1 hour labour charge....

Scott
  • 513phill513phill Posts: 2
    Need to find a replacement BCM for a 02 Impala 3.4, heard Autozone had pre-flashed or already flashed refurbished units, is this correct or are they even available ? it's my step sons wife and they are college kids with not alot of money so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. thaks and happy 4th:) !!! :sick: :sick:
  • 513phill513phill Posts: 2
    hi ibrooks could you post a step by step on how to replace the ignition switch i'm having to do the same thing here. thanks in advance.
  • burg2412burg2412 Posts: 1
    have dash out & the lights that light up gauges are burnt out. however, cannot replace they are soldered into board. anyone know where you can find a new one or how to replace
  • onegod4meonegod4me Posts: 1
    I need to replace the combination switch on my 2004 Impala. I have not been able to get the tilt steering lever off so I can get the steering column cover apart so I can get access to the combination switch. Does anyone know how to remove the tilt steering lever from the steering column? Any help would be appreciated.
  • bkhartbkhart Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your headlight problems. I have a 2002 Impala and my lights were doing the same thing. Now they do not come on at all. If i drive at night i have to drive with my brights on at all times.
  • anunezanunez Posts: 3
    hello i really need help i have a 2000 chevy impala 3.8 i drive for about twenty minutes and as soon as i shut the car off it wont turn back on i have to wait about twenty minutes or so then it will start right back up again please help i have changed the ignition control module and cole and it helped for about one week then started up again with the same symthoms please help
  • warkelwarkel Posts: 1
    My wifes Impala (114,000 miles) just recently started having a problem with the interior lights coming on at random. Even when the car is not being driven (parked in driveway) the lights will come on. What could be causing this? I removed the fuse so they would stay off, but I know this is only a band aid fix.
  • My wife's 2000 Impala has a weird problem where from time to time the turn signals will quit working. It happens at different times, seemingly for no reason, but we can push on the emergency flasher switch and the turn signals will start working again. I've already had it at a dealership, but they can't seem to find the cause of it until it does it there. That might not happen but once a month or so. It's a very intermittent problem, and not serious, but one that just bugs me. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Actually it's a fairly common problem...the fact that you can "jump start" the flasher by hitting the emergency flasher is the key to knowing what the problem is. You need to replace that emergency flasher switch; you can do it yourself, but it involves removing the front of the dash (which isn't that difficult really; if you search around on the Impala forums here you should be able to find step-by-step directions, as well as the part number...I think I ordered mine online). It's been a couple of years since I dealt with this, but I'm thinking the part costs somewhere between $40-80, and it took maybe 30 minutes or so to do. You basically remove the front of the dash, disconnect the wiring on the back of the hazard switch, pop it out, pop in the new one, connect the wires, and put it all back together. Also know that your turn signal will likely sound different (I think generally quieter) than the old one.
  • flashers stops working and when i put my emergency light it works again....they
    change the arm and it does the same thing...before we use to change a part<
    i don`t remember the name but it was changing that part for heavy duty and that
    would do the job...but now with everything electrical i don`t kwnow....would you
    know the name of that part or what do you think it would be....
  • Yes you are suffering from the dreaded hazard switch problem. I have step by step instructions on how to replace the switch without opening up the dashboard.

Chevy Impala Turn Signal Switch Replacement:
    Click here

The hazard switch is GM part #10359031:
    GMParts
  • THANK YOU FOR THE TIP AND INFORMATION ABOUT MY IMPALA 2001
    YOU WERE RIGHT IT WAS THE HAZARD SWITCH THAT WAS THE PROBLEM
    THANKS AGAIN.....REAL SMART...
    POUCCHIE
  • I've been reading about electrical issues with the Impala, but couldn't find this particular issue. Yesterday at work in the parking lot the alarm kept going off. On the way home the door ajar light would flash and the doors would lock/unlock repeatedly. I stopped and slammed the doors a couple times. Didn't seem to make a difference. I read about no starts and am trying to head this off before I end up there too. Any suggestions?
  • I never had the alarm go off but I have had the rest...I would disconnect my battery for about 10 minutes and that would help for a couple of months....I finally just had the battery changed (even though that battery seemed fine) and I have not had that problem (knock on wood) for some time now.
  • I have a 2003 Impala 4 door sedan with a rear window defogger that has stopped
    working. Power gets to the switch and to the relay.
    Plug at window looks OK. Any ideas?
  • AC5FFAC5FF Posts: 1
    I just found this forum and just scanning threw these posts, it appears a lot of good information can be found! Hopefully it'll work for me too! :)

Tonight coming home from work I noticed when I pressed my breaks and the ABS would kick in (been snowing all day) the electrical system just seems to dim. I first noticed it when the radio volumn would go very low and then slowly build back up to where it was set at. Then I started noticing panel lights dimming. At one point it was like the car shut off (electrically) and kicked back in. Everything reset just like when you start the car - however the engine didn't 'stall' or anything that I noticed.

I'm open to ideas. I've been having problems with my ABS as it is (intermittant light) and my thermostat (stuck open). Saving up to repair those has been tough with the holidays - i am not looking forward to having something else to get repaired. :sick: