Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Navigation System

bakerncbakernc Posts: 2
My navigation system works great, but when I start to accelerate the destination screen greys everything except "emergency" -also my menu screen greysout prev dest and my places . When I stop they all work again--seems to occur about 10-12 miles per hour. Is this suppose to happen and is it a safety function? Thanks

Comments

• ednovakednovak Posts: 55
    My navigation system works great, but when I start to accelerate the destination screen greys everything except "emergency" -also my menu screen greysout prev dest and my places . When I stop they all work again--seems to occur about 10-12 miles per hour. Is this suppose to happen and is it a safety function? Thanks

This is NOT normal operation. Sounds like you have something is wrong with the speed sensor connection. It's time for a visit to Toyota for diagnostics and repair.
  • I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna. We're Realtors and constantly use the navigation system as part of our jobs. The last time I checked Toyota did not have an updated version of the software. We get our Inifinity's nav system updated every year... what's going on with Toyota???
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. I also have a 2004 Toyota Sienna and need Navigation updates. According to my local dealer, the next update is due January/February 2006. Hope this helps.

-Kristian
  • navguy1navguy1 Posts: 181
    The new DVD map disc will be available in January. The MSRP will be $250. ;)
  • Has anyone heard anything about when the Toyota voice activated navigation system will be available on the 2006 Sienna? Avalon and some other Toyota models already have it - Lexus has it of course.
  • jurryjurry Posts: 3
    About to purchase 2006 Sienna Limited. Dealer offered to install Eclipse Nav package to HE model as HO model hard to find. What's the difference between Eclipse and Toyota nav units. Dealer will also install bluetooth and back up camera.
  • navguy1navguy1 Posts: 181
    The back-up camera is not a big deal to integrate with the Eclipse navigation unit. When the vehicle is placed in reverse it will display the rear camera input.

I am curious how the Bluetooth will be integrated with the Eclips radio/navigation unit. If it is an aftermarket Bluetooth adaptor it will not mute the radio or navigation when a call is received or replaced unless it has provisions for such. In contrast, the factory navigation unit will mute all sources when a call is in process. Plus the factory navigation features (06MY Sienna) feature voice dialing too! The Eclipse unit is just not as advanced.

The last MAJOR concern is the warranty. The factory installed navigation comes with a 3 year or 36K mile factory warranty. If the navigation should fail (or the back-up camera) the dealership will repair and replace the unit... nationwide. However, the aftermarket unit (or camera) may need to be handled by Eclipse. Plus all of this non-factory equipment must be integrated with your vehicle. While the unit in the dash will be easy to integrate the rear view camera will require a more extensive installation process.

Check with the dealership and be cautious! Other dealers do not like to handle other dealer installed options (DIO) when issues arise. If you move it may become an issue to have the vehicle serviced under warranty. ;)
  • jurryjurry Posts: 3
    Thanks! I'll wait for a another car with factory installed equipment.
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    I think it's available now, isn't it?
  • kj2005kj2005 Posts: 17
    Not to be confused with the Toyota/Lexus Gen 2 and 3 DVDs now showing up on eBay as the latest 5.1 data released in Jan 2006 --- the 2006 Sienna has a Gen 5 system and that DVD is not due out until late January per Toyota Tech Support.

I'm disappointed I just purchased a 06 XLE Limited and now I would need to spend $250 to get the update given the lack of updated info on the DVD for Massachusetts.
  • navguynavguy Posts: 61
    Just for clarification...

The GEN 5 navigation system for the 06MY Sienna is much more advanced than Avalon. The GEN 5 system is vastly superior to the Avalon since you can input the address and place a call via voice recognition. Plus you can find a nearby gas station, hotels, ATMs, Post Offices, etc by saying, "Nearby hotel"... just insert say the POI you want. It is the coolest thing you have ever seen!
  • navguynavguy Posts: 61
    If you do find some map discrepancies report them either to your local dealership or to Toyota Customer Relationships @ 800 331 4331. Give them the specific information that is missing so that they can investigate it and get it fixed.

Another alternative is to report them directly to NAVTEQ. Use the following link to report to them - http://www.navteq.com/updates/mapfeedback.html
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Posts: 299
    How can I remove the center console cover to get access to the wiring harnesses that attach to the rear of the two 12V cigarette lighter plugs near the bottom of the console?

In addition, does anyone know the color codes of the accessory power wire feeding the Navigation Unit and if there is a MUTE input to the unit so I can hook up a bluetooth device?
  • Hello,

New to the boards, new to Toyota, new to Sienna. My office let me choose any vechicle for my position, and I felt the Sienna was the best choice. :shades:

I have a Limited AWD with navigation -- and after fiddling for nearly a week have some frustrations. Perhaps someone here can point me in the right direction?

First: Does anyone know where I can find better instructions on *using* the navigation, specifically a list of voice commands?

Second: Does anyone know what the truly latest version is? My dealer assured me I have it (ver. 5.1) but my companys' office isn't even listed, and it has been there for 5 years.

Thanks in advance for any help!

SiennaGirl
  • So my 2005 Sienna XLE which I love has a safety feature in the navigation system -- you can't edit or do a search or many other uses when you're driving. I'm about to switch to a 2005 Odyssey Touring because of it. But I do like the Toyota more than Honda except for the nav. Is there a way to override it? I tried googling and didn't find any resource. Dealer says they can't override the safety feature.
  • The system prevents users from inputting or modifying the in depth features that could detract you from driving.
  • Okay, but it's not even just the in-depth features. It's ALL features!
    The hassle is when you're on a road trip and you are in the freeway and you decide you need to find a drugstore or a restaurant or even just the nearest gas station. One can't do a search on categories when you're driving with a co-pilot!
  • I have one toyota sienna 2004 with the Toyota GPS navigation system but I live in Puerto Rico and toyota does not have the CD of the maps of Puerto Rico, I would like to know if it is possible to obtain it or how they would be possible to be obtained. :confuse:

Thank you very much.
    Javier Centeno
  • My navigation system (Toyota Sienna 2004 xle) quit working after my battery died. i get a message saying the external unit is not connected? Anyone else have this problem???
  • No way around it I'm afraid. I actually did get rid of my 2005 XLE Limited AWD and replaced it with a 2006 Odyssey Touring. The Honda is a much nicer vehicle and more powrful too with more interior space and a sportier ride.